It's not even funny anymore

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

It's not even funny anymore

Post by kodos »

Screw this team.

They are terrible. Blow it up. Fire them all.

Injuries or not, I don't care. I'm so sick of excuses. It's always excuses.

SCREW THE EXCUSES. This team is a mess. It's heartless. Soulless. BORING. How many years of this are loyal fans expected to endure?

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Re: It's not even funny anymore

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

^
what he said

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

Waffle time.
Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

For the last few games, I've not paid attention as much. I had to take a break. It's just too much, honestly. There's only so much horrible hockey that one can stand.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

I'm not quite to that point yet. I honestly think they'll be fine.

I suspect they are partying too much and are tired. Lotta puck sluts in this town.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

deadphish
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by deadphish »

Yup. Lotta games left. Still a lotta puck sluts in town, too. Oshie needs to step up and bang a few more while he's out so the other young-ins can focus on the games. I mean who else is gonna do that kinda work? A-mac? He's not even tall enough to talk to most women. Yeah, I blame Oshie. :mrgreen:
Official LGB Sponsor TJ Oshie

JWatt (formerly PMS)
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JWatt (formerly PMS) »

kodos wrote:Screw this team.

They are terrible. Blow it up. Fire them all.

Injuries or not, I don't care. I'm so sick of excuses. It's always excuses.

SCREW THE EXCUSES. This team is a mess. It's heartless. Soulless. BORING. How many years of this are loyal fans expected to endure?
Bring back the Suck-O-Meter!

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I think you would be less unhappy with them if you created more reasonable expectations for a team that is missing 3 of its top scorers scorers and has had all 6 of its opening day defensemen miss games.

I don't recall a team in recent memory ever facing this many injuries to key players. But, we're only 4 points out of a playoff spot, and are barely below .500 since the injuries started.

When we get healthy, we'll be fine. Expecting them to be good with this many injuries is laughable though.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

cardsfan04 wrote:I think you would be less unhappy with them if you created more reasonable expectations for a team that is missing 3 of its top scorers scorers and has had all 6 of its opening day defensemen miss games.

I don't recall a team in recent memory ever facing this many injuries to key players. But, we're only 4 points out of a playoff spot, and are barely below .500 since the injuries started.

When we get healthy, we'll be fine. Expecting them to be good with this many injuries is laughable though.
I was talking to my dad the other day and that's basically what I said too, I agree. The Blues don't have to march up the Western Conference standings during this stretch- they just have to survive it. If they can avoid totally bottoming out and at least feasibly stay in the picture until we get our $hit together, we got a very decent shot at the playoffs.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Honestly, I'm pretty down on the situation the team is in...but it has nothing to do with their effort or even losing games. It is pretty much all about the injury situation that the hockey gods have bitch slapped us with.

This team isn't organizationally deep enough to sustain injuries to their best players, and forget about it when those injuries are to their best 6 players all at one time...and when those injuries have them out for long periods of time, it's just not fair.

When healthy, they are a much better team than they are right now, I think we all know this...but their best players have to be almost 100% healthy for them to make any noise in the conference like they were doing early in the year. We didn't acquire any offensive help in the offseason, and we are paying the price for it now.

It's not making excuses...it is what it is. The term "excuses" gives the impression that reasons are being manufactured to mask the real problem...but when the real problem is indeed injuries to your best players, then that's not an excuse...it's the reason. You just can't play at a high level when you are missing your best players. When the team is a lower scoring team to start with, and then you lose a couple of your best offensive players, you're in trouble...and that's what happened.

Even when 100% healthy, they still need still need to acquire "that guy" on offense before they are considered a cup contender...but with the way JD talks, they aren't considering getting anyone for the time being, which is disappointing, but understandable. Now, if they fail to go after anyone this coming offseason, then that's just a head scratcher. They have miles of cap room and one glaring need...they need to do something.

Getting Polak and Petro back last game was great, but you still have to score to win. It just doesn't look good right now. Perron, Oshie and McDonald are a HUGE part of what little offense we have.

It sucks, but it's going to be tough to make the playoffs if they don't get help...because if/when we do get healthy, we're probably going to have to make a late run to get in....again. :?
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

deadphish
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by deadphish »

Jesus H Christ on a popsicle stick. It's like "Remaining men together" in here from Fight Club. KOOOS, you pair up with the crying guy. Curt, you pair up with Bob (bitch tits) AND REALLY EXPRESS YOUR FEELINGS!!!!!!!

It's just a run of bad luck. We were lucky to start off 9-1-2. We nearly lost or OT losted many of those games. We were never that good and no one should be crying that we are losing games left and right at this point. Just be thankful seats are full and the future is bright. Root for injuries to other Western Conf top players if you have to. I'm thankful we have a team at all. There are 5 or 6 really promising players I enjoy watching every game. That's enough for me right now.

All kidding aside. This season does blow (so far). The hockey gods owe us.

AlsWoodenStick
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by AlsWoodenStick »

dmiles2186 wrote:For the last few games, I've not paid attention as much. I had to take a break. It's just too much, honestly. There's only so much horrible hockey that one can stand.
I've done the same thing.

However, I thought my break had lasted long enough and turned on the game late last night. Of course, I see some dumbass hit himself in the face with his own stick, Backes get blamed for it, and the PP goal to seal the game. FML.
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Can we get a Countdown to Tarasenko going?
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

They aren't fun to watch, so I haven't been.

If you aren't going to score or play defense, at least beat some ass.

Yes, there are tons of injuries, but this team can't score very well even @ 100% healthy, so injuries don't excuse the lack of ass beatings.

I would have liked to have seen thornton get his ass beat the other night, and the fact that they were down by a couple of goals should have made it easier. Down by 2 or 3 or 4 doesn't make any difference; you still (Franking) lost.

It was the only reason I watched any of the game, to see what would happen in retribution. When nothing happened, I turned it off and don't see myself going back other than to skim through the dvr.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

Right about now I think seeing Sesame Street On Ice will be more entertaining then attending/watching a Blues game right now.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

I think the hardest thing is every year, for at least the past decade or so that I've followed, it's always something we as diehard fans use as a reason for another year of sub-par performances.

It's always injuries, or the "young" guys aren't ready, or the new rookie coming up next year will be the savior, the "new" coach hasn't gelled, once the "old" guy retires and is replaced with the "young" guy we'll be awesome...sometimes it seems like the team's motto should be "Just Wait Until Next Year!"

Sure we're all fans, and for whatever reason the hockey gods seem to hate us, but every now and then you just have to wonder just what the hell is missing with this team.

I liked it better when we had the longest streak in sports for making the playoffs - sure we usually blew it, but at least it seemed like we had some (often underused) talent. Plus we had a player willing to hire a contract killer - nobody on the current team has that kind of moxie.

:goblues:

AlsWoodenStick
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by AlsWoodenStick »

Portland Blues wrote: it seems like the team's motto should be "Just Wait Until Next Year!"
I don't want to be the Chicago Cubs of the NHL...
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

deadphish
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by deadphish »

AlsWoodenStick wrote:
Portland Blues wrote: it seems like the team's motto should be "Just Wait Until Next Year!"
You are new here. If you say that again I will personally make sure you are permabanned.

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

deadphish wrote:
AlsWoodenStick wrote:
You are new here. If you say that again I will personally make sure you are permabanned.
Wait you actually have to win something first to be compared to them.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

cprice12 wrote:Honestly, I'm pretty down on the situation the team is in...but it has nothing to do with their effort or even losing games. It is pretty much all about the injury situation that the hockey gods have bitch slapped us with.

This team isn't organizationally deep enough to sustain injuries to their best players, and forget about it when those injuries are to their best 6 players all at one time...and when those injuries have them out for long periods of time, it's just not fair.

When healthy, they are a much better team than they are right now, I think we all know this...but their best players have to be almost 100% healthy for them to make any noise in the conference like they were doing early in the year. We didn't acquire any offensive help in the offseason, and we are paying the price for it now.

It's not making excuses...it is what it is. The term "excuses" gives the impression that reasons are being manufactured to mask the real problem...but when the real problem is indeed injuries to your best players, then that's not an excuse...it's the reason. You just can't play at a high level when you are missing your best players. When the team is a lower scoring team to start with, and then you lose a couple of your best offensive players, you're in trouble...and that's what happened.

Even when 100% healthy, they still need still need to acquire "that guy" on offense before they are considered a cup contender...but with the way JD talks, they aren't considering getting anyone for the time being, which is disappointing, but understandable. Now, if they fail to go after anyone this coming offseason, then that's just a head scratcher. They have miles of cap room and one glaring need...they need to do something.

Getting Polak and Petro back last game was great, but you still have to score to win. It just doesn't look good right now. Perron, Oshie and McDonald are a HUGE part of what little offense we have.

It sucks, but it's going to be tough to make the playoffs if they don't get help...because if/when we do get healthy, we're probably going to have to make a late run to get in....again. :?
That's pretty close to how I feel too. I'm definitely down on the situation, but I'm not down on the team. I think the effort is there, for the most part. But, effort only goes so far w/o the talent of our injured players.

I've been thinking about how we could get a scorer for awhile. A buddy of mine told me that most of the scorers that were free-agents-to-be have already re-signed with their team, making this next free agent class really lousy. But, I haven't checked myself yet. If that's true, we're going to have to make a trade. But, you don't just magically trade for 30+ goal scorers because you need one.

I kind of doubt we go after Kovalev unless the Blues think he can make a big impact this year. And, he can't do enough by himself to justify giving anything away unless our injured scorers come back. So, we likely are going to have to give up a lot in a trade to get an impact scorer. We have a wealth of talent at defense. I know Brewer is unpopular, but he's actually having a pretty good year, especially compared to previous years. I expect him to be back. Ian Cole won't be in Peoria next year, and I doubt we carry 7 defensemen.

Anyway, I suspect we will trade one of our young defensemen (almost certainly Cole, unless his stock has dropped) and probably Berglund or Boyes (or both), to acquire somebody. I could see Polak carrying some value as well. I might be way off base here, but I somewhat suspect a ~blockbuster deal to be made down the road. I doubt EJ or Pietro get traded, but never know.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen