GDT #39: Jan 6: Blues @ Leafs (FSMW; KMOX) 6pm

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: GDT #39: Jan 6: Blues @ Leafs (FSMW; KMOX) 6pm

Post by theohall »

dmiles2186 wrote:
xbleed83bluex wrote:We should have won that game. Ty Conklin SUCKS with a capital SUCKS in the shootout. He's just like Lalime. They both had their 5 minutes of fame, then turned into mediocre-to-subpar goaltenders, but absolutely horrible in the shootout. Payne should have had Halik go in for the shootout.
I don't believe that's allowed. I'm not quite sure the rule, but I believe the goalie that is in OT has to stay in for the shootout. So, like someone mentioned in the thread, Payne could have pulled Conklin prior to OT and had Halak go back in, just in case it went to the shootout.
It's not allowed. It used to be. Conklin is the reason they changed the rule. The first year they had shootouts, Conklin was in Edmonton. They would pull him when the game went to a shootout, precisely because he was so bad at them. Next season they modified the rule, so the goalie in net in OT must be the goalie for the shootout, unless he is injured at the end of OT. This was back in '05, so Conklin has always sucked at the shootout. It's not anything new in his case.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

xbleed83bluex
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by xbleed83bluex »

theohall wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
xbleed83bluex wrote:We should have won that game. Ty Conklin SUCKS with a capital SUCKS in the shootout. He's just like Lalime. They both had their 5 minutes of fame, then turned into mediocre-to-subpar goaltenders, but absolutely horrible in the shootout. Payne should have had Halik go in for the shootout.
I don't believe that's allowed. I'm not quite sure the rule, but I believe the goalie that is in OT has to stay in for the shootout. So, like someone mentioned in the thread, Payne could have pulled Conklin prior to OT and had Halak go back in, just in case it went to the shootout.
It's not allowed. It used to be. Conklin is the reason they changed the rule. The first year they had shootouts, Conklin was in Edmonton. They would pull him when the game went to a shootout, precisely because he was so bad at them. Next season they modified the rule, so the goalie in net in OT must be the goalie for the shootout, unless he is injured at the end of OT. This was back in '05, so Conklin has always sucked at the shootout. It's not anything new in his case.
Wow, I wasn't aware that was allowed anymore. Ironically, the reason I assumed it was allowed, because I remember Edmonton did that in a game with the Blues. Craig McTavish (sp?), the then-coach of the Oilers, pulled a goalie (I'm assuming it was Conklin) in favor of another one in the shootout.
Official 2011-'12 sponsor of the hot chick from the FSMW Blues commercials.

xbleed83bluex
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by xbleed83bluex »

hullisgod wrote:Good game to go watch. I was pretty amazed at all the Blues fans in attendance though, cant remember seeing that many Blues shirts at a Leaf game.

Really thought Janssen and Orr were going to fight but after Janssen lost his stick and was pretty much in no mans land for the Leafs 3rd or 4th goal he seemed to get benched.
I seen all those Blues jerseys, too. That seemed kind of odd to me! I can see if we were playing somewhere close, like Chicago or Nashville, but we have fans in Toronto? It's not close enough to just take a spontaneous road trip for a game, hell, it's not even in the same country!

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

xbleed83bluex wrote:
hullisgod wrote:Good game to go watch. I was pretty amazed at all the Blues fans in attendance though, cant remember seeing that many Blues shirts at a Leaf game.

Really thought Janssen and Orr were going to fight but after Janssen lost his stick and was pretty much in no mans land for the Leafs 3rd or 4th goal he seemed to get benched.
I seen all those Blues jerseys, too. That seemed kind of odd to me! I can see if we were playing somewhere close, like Chicago or Nashville, but we have fans in Toronto? It's not close enough to just take a spontaneous road trip for a game, hell, it's not even in the same country!
Only thing I can think is Halak coming here brought the attention of Canada.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Blues players from Ontario:

Boyes, McClement, McDonald, Porter, D'Agostini, Colaiacovo and Pietrangelo.

Which is one reason there were plenty of Blues jerseys in Toronto. They always support their own - for whichever team they play for.

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Off topic but I hate it when I watch the NHL Network and they say Peter Angelo instead Pietrangelo
TW Tiger Woods TW

hullisgod
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by hullisgod »

theohall wrote:Blues players from Ontario:

Which is one reason there were plenty of Blues jerseys in Toronto. They always support their own - for whichever team they play for.
Im not so sure about that. No doubt they had family in attendance but I saw a lot of old school Brett Hull jerseys, quite a few powder blue jerseys, and a lot of Oshie jerseys! Ive been to these game for the past 7 or 8 years and I am sure we had a lot of Ontario players then but I used to feel like a lone wolf in there.

As for the Halak thing, generally speaking everyone in Toronto hates everything Montreal so I doubt that had anything to do with it. There were actually 2 Habs fans in front of me who seemed to come to cheer against the Leafs but boo Halak which was kind of odd, the one ended up saying the wrong thing to a Leaf fan though. :lol:

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

hullisgod wrote:
theohall wrote:Blues players from Ontario:

Im not so sure about that. No doubt they had family in attendance but I saw a lot of old school Brett Hull jerseys, quite a few powder blue jerseys, and a lot of Oshie jerseys! Ive been to these game for the past 7 or 8 years and I am sure we had a lot of Ontario players then but I used to feel like a lone wolf in there.

As for the Halak thing, generally speaking everyone in Toronto hates everything Montreal so I doubt that had anything to do with it. There were actually 2 Habs fans in front of me who seemed to come to cheer against the Leafs but boo Halak which was kind of odd, the one ended up saying the wrong thing to a Leaf fan though. :lol:
haha lol yeah wow im an idiot yeah your right....surprised people in Toronto even know what the Blues are
TW Tiger Woods TW

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

wow. Toronto put up 9 against Atlanta.
Scoring like crazy. Thanks Blues
Maybe the Blues should play the Blues. Then maybe they will start scoring.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Krigloch the Furious wrote:wow. Toronto put up 9 against Atlanta.
As long as the Blues go to a shootout against themselves every night and get to face Conklin, they will always get two points. :)

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

theohall wrote:
Krigloch the Furious wrote:wow. Toronto put up 9 against Atlanta.
As long as the Blues go to a shootout against themselves every night and get to face Conklin, they will always get two points. :)
If you think about it before all these injuries in the shootout it would be Oshie, Boyes, Perron, and Andy Mac....I spy with my little eye 3 that are not with us right now.
TW Tiger Woods TW

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Hey Conklin: if you're in goal during a shootout, DO THE OPPOSITE.

Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

theohall wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
So if they put Halak back in with 5 seconds left in OT would he get to be in the shootout?
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

goon attack wrote:Hey Conklin: if you're in goal during a shootout, DO THE OPPOSITE.

Well played, Goon.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

xbleed83bluex
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by xbleed83bluex »

ViPeRx007 wrote:
theohall wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
So if they put Halak back in with 5 seconds left in OT would he get to be in the shootout?
Lol good point.

I can kind of see why they changed the rule now. It's commonsense. The shootout doesn't credit goals and saves. It doesn't count toward a goalie's minutes played, as far as I know. It's only purpose is a tiebreaker. So say Conklin was in the whole 65-minute game, then Halak replaced Conklin for only the shootout and consequently won the game. Halak wouldn't have been given credit for the win - Conklin would. As far as the record books are concerned, Halak would have been non-existent the whole game.

I can't imagine a goalie would appreciate it too much if he were used just for a shootout when given no credit for it, although if it helps the team win I can't imagine he'd be upset over it either.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

ViPeRx007 wrote:
theohall wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
Yes. He would not be given an opportunity to warm-up at all. Has to come in cold.