John Hadley reports the Blues are looking at trading EJ

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Jack T Adams
All-Star
All-Star

John Hadley reports the Blues are looking at trading EJ

Post by Jack T Adams »

Sports director John Hadley (stop reading) is reporting the #stlblues have had exploratory talks in trading defenseman Erik Johnson. #NHL about 4 hours ago via ÜberTwitter.

And from Eklund at http://www.hockeybuzz.com , aka 007's favorite site:
I will have a MAJOR update tonight around 7 as I am meeting with a major source this afternoon in Philly. This source has been responsible for some of the best info I have received in the past few years.

We are meeting in 45 minutes, at 3:30 for an early dinner. He promised to fill me in on everything he has heard that is going on. He is very connected to Vancouver, Toronto, Atlanta, Dallas, NJ, all three NY teams, and Colorado...

We were supposed to meet at noon, but his flight was delayed. I jokingly told him I couldn't wait until tonight for a rumor update and he said he would give me a tease for you all...

Tell your readers: "There is a Western Conference team who is sitting on MONSTER of a deal. A deal which will force many others in the pack to make moves as well, or risk not making the playoffs. It is a deal with an Eastern team, currently out of the playoffs, which could also go on to define the Eastern Conference team's future."

Pretty good tease, eh?

So I will have more sometime between 6 and 8. My source is also going to look at the Rumor Chart with me and give me his opinions as well. He also told me he has probably 3-5 players to add to the chart, and 1 I should remove.
OFFICIAL 2007-2008 SPONSOR OF THE LATE DOUG WICKENHEISER, BRINGING BACK KEN WILSON and OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH BAAAAAAAAAAAAAABBBBBBBBBBBBBBBYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Cardinals, Rams and BLUES!

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: John Hadley reports the Blues are looking at trading EJ

Post by cardsfan04 »

I'm not opposed to it for the right price. He's not having a good year, and if we can get a legitmate scorer for him (like will be our new leading scorer), I'd say go for it. I would not trade him for another Steen or Backes though, even though they are probably my two favorite Blues atm.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Winning Unlimited »

I would only make this trade if the better player was coming back our way.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

I just went to hockeybuzz and apparently he had his meeting....I see nothing about the Blues.

I see a Calgary/NJ trade and a Dallas/Toronto trade.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

Jack T Adams
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Jack T Adams »

Yeah,

First Monster Rumored trade.

again...take this for what it is...A RUMOR. and a fun on

To New Jersey: Jay Bouwmeester, Rene Bourque, Mikael Backlund, and a first and third round round pick
To Calgary: Zack Parise, Brian Rolston, Bryce Salvador, Mattias Tedenby and Vladamir Zharkov

Second Monster Rumored Trade.

To Dallas: Nazem Kadri, Clarke MacArthur, and Kris Versteeg plus a conditional pick
To Toronto: Brad Richards, Jamie Benn, and Ondrej Roman.
OFFICIAL 2007-2008 SPONSOR OF THE LATE DOUG WICKENHEISER, BRINGING BACK KEN WILSON and OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH BAAAAAAAAAAAAAABBBBBBBBBBBBBBBYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Cardinals, Rams and BLUES!

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Smells like BS.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Wow. I don't know much about the people rumored to be coming from Toronto other than Versteeg. But, I can't imagine the Stars trading Richards unless they think they don't have a shot at the Cup anyway and they are certain they can't resign him.

blues fan
Rookie
Rookie

Post by blues fan »

NO way devils are getting rid of what you reported for those in trade!!!!! Lou L is not that stupid! Pure BS or the devils are loosing thier brains, which I doubt.

Also if the Blues trade EJ they better get someone darn good who will be there awhile, his play has not been terriable but when your playing with some one new every few weeks it can hurt your play as well!!! I wouldn't trade him at all, you need good D men and it isn't like many really good ones come by very often, in time with a healthy team he could be very,very good! :letsgoblues:

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Id trade EJ and either Perron or Osh for Parise and Salvador....
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

STLADOGG wrote:Id trade EJ and either Perron or Osh for Parise and Salvador....
If the Blues do this, I might become a Blackhawks fan. Shopping EJ is one thing. Giving him away w/ one of our only offensive talents is another.

For the Blues to give EJ away, they need to get a perrenial 30 goal scorer who will eventually be a 40 goal scorer, that is under 25.

While EJ is underperforming THIS YEAR, we have potential to have the next Pronger/MacInnis line. I wouldn't trade him without getting a LOT in return.

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

EJ will dominate the league eventually. This would be dumbtarded, like the Whalers and Pronger.

Unless of course he's screwing the babysitter.
Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock

the knob
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by the knob »

Hadley (WTF?) and Eklund mentioned in the same thread? Can the return of Frank Cusamano be far behind? Oh, what sad times are these for a shrubber.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

ohio BLUES wrote:EJ will dominate the league eventually. This would be dumbtarded, like the Whalers and Pronger.
This.

Unless a team is willing to bend over for us on the return for him (to the point that you would have to be a total idiot to not accept it), he better not be being shopped.

I don't care if he's struggling this year. Dmen take time, he lost a full year as it is and there's a reason he was the consensus #1 overall pick in his draft class.

Unless you're talking several first rounders/ something akin to what the Nordiques got for Lindros... I'm not listening.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

WaukeeBlues wrote:
ohio BLUES wrote:EJ will dominate the league eventually. This would be dumbtarded, like the Whalers and Pronger.
This.

Unless a team is willing to bend over for us on the return for him (to the point that you would have to be a total idiot to not accept it), he better not be being shopped.

I don't care if he's struggling this year. Dmen take time, he lost a full year as it is and there's a reason he was the consensus #1 overall pick in his draft class.

Unless you're talking several first rounders/ something akin to what the Nordiques got for Lindros... I'm not listening.
I agree in theory. I'm not opposed to shopping him though. I just would have super high demands for him.

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

I am cool with them trading EJ. I like the guy, but he smells right now of failure. While it is just one season and he is young, how many players have been first-round busts in the past 10 years or so? The answer is many (league-wide, not just the Blues).

Like every other post in this thread, they would need something dynamite in return. If we get another player even as good as Oshie, I say bad deal. Defense is much harder to come by in this league- we need a forward who can put the puck in the net 30-40 times a season.
2009-10 LGB Sponsor of Davis "Major" Payne
2010-11 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2011-12 LGB Sponsor of NHL All-Star Brian Elliott
2012-13 LGB Sponsor of Jaroslav Halak

xbleed83bluex
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by xbleed83bluex »

I think it's stupid to trade a 1st overall draft pick just like that. First overalls are so hard to come by. Usually when a team is fortunate (or unfortunate) enough to get one they sign that sucker up for long term.

I wouldn't trade a first overall unless I was getting an Ovechkin, Crosby, or Stamkos in return. Kessel and Semin, maybe. But for no less quality.
Official 2011-'12 sponsor of the hot chick from the FSMW Blues commercials.

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

xbleed83bluex wrote:I think it's stupid to trade a 1st overall draft pick just like that. First overalls are so hard to come by. Usually when a team is fortunate (or unfortunate) enough to get one they sign that sucker up for long term.

I wouldn't trade a first overall unless I was getting an Ovechkin, Crosby, or Stamkos in return. Kessel and Semin, maybe. But for no less quality.
Your logic is flawed. While you mention the Ovies, Crosbys and Stamkos', you fail to mention the busts or not-as-valuable players that the NHL has seen, i.e. Patrik Stefan, Rick DiPietro, Chris Phillips, and to a certain extent, Marc-Andre Fleury. Holding onto a player just because he was a #1 is a silly concept.

Don't take me as picking on you, I am just pointing out that not every first overall pick has turned out to be a prolific player.
2009-10 LGB Sponsor of Davis "Major" Payne
2010-11 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2011-12 LGB Sponsor of NHL All-Star Brian Elliott
2012-13 LGB Sponsor of Jaroslav Halak

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Second Monster Rumored Trade.

To Dallas: Nazem Kadri, Clarke MacArthur, and Kris Versteeg plus a conditional pick
To Toronto: Brad Richards, Jamie Benn, and Ondrej Roman.
This one is full of BS. Why in the heck would Dallas trade two of their top 6 forwards right now for guys in Toronto who are under-performing?? Yeah, MacArthur is leading the Leafs in scoring with his 15 G and 25 A, but that's crap compared to Richards 19 G and 37 A. Benn is a 21 year old 20 G scorer already. Why swap him with a 24 year old 20 goal scorer in Versteeg?? Crappy rumor.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

blues fan
Rookie
Rookie

Post by blues fan »

paries and salvador? Why would the devils move either? It isn't like they are stacked with 4 great D men or have 3-4 good young forwards. They need to keep Parise if they can sign him.

Got to give young D men more time for sure and they learn more when they play with 1-2 really good d men, blues if they are thinking this way, just need to give EJ another year then see where they are. Too mnay teams panic at this time of the year and try to make moves for the sake of making moves, they think what do I need to make the playoffs this year, IMHO more need to think long term and quit making knee jerk reactions when it comes to deals or trades.

Carl Racki
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Carl Racki »

the knob wrote:Hadley (WTF?) and Eklund mentioned in the same thread? Can the return of Frank Cusamano be far behind? Oh, what sad times are these for a shrubber.
:grin: