This offseason

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Leedog
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

This offseason

Post by Leedog »

I hate to be so doom and gloom, but here is my prediction:
After missing the playoffs again, they will let Brewer walk and replace him with Cole. We will be given the same "addition by subtraction" mantra we got this past offseason about Kariya and Tkachuk, giving the young guys a chance, etc. That Halak will be better after settling into a new city.....they were amazed how good he was under the circumstances. We look forward to continued growth from Sobotka and Dago....look what they did last year when they got a chance. A Mac, Oshie, and Peron will be healthy, so it is like getting 3 star players added. They think the seasoning McRae got this year has him ready to make a case for the big club. The Brewer money won't be spent elsewhere, as that will be used to pay Backes' raise. Oh, and expect your season tix to go up another 20 %.
Why do I expect this? The main investor who was wanting to bail with the old model that included 7 and 9 money and lower prices, and suddenly want to keep most of the holdings when they see lower payroll and higher revenue. So, do you think that trend will change?
Unofficial sponsor of Sarah Palin for PILF '12

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: This offseason

Post by goon attack »

Leedog wrote: young guys
Yes, YOUNG guys. This is a young team still rebuilding.

I consider this the first part of the rebuilding process because we just got rid of Tkachuk.

New leaders must emerge and these guys need to make a commitment to excellence. It may take a few more years.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I will be shocked if Brewer isn't back next year. And, I really hope he is. There. I said it. He is having a MUCH better year this year than he has in the past. Could be cuz it's his contract year, or could be because he's finally healthy. Replacing him with Cole (who has yet to have a good NHL game) is taking a step backward. And, management loves Brewer, so he's not going anywhere.

Sure they will spit out rhetoric in the offseason that is full of spin. But, a lot of it will also be based in truth. If McDonald, Perron, and Oshie were healthy this entire season, people wouldn't be upset right now. So, it's reasonable to assume them being healthy next season will be cause for excitement, or at least room for optimism.

Add in Tarasenko and McRae (yes, there is reason to think he'll be a factor next season), and I'm looking forward to next year, and the year after, and the year after that, etc.

Basically, just because they spin something doesn't make it wrong. Sure, they will oversell everything to build excitement. But, just because they oversell something doesn't mean it's going to be a negative. There's a middle ground wherein reality is usually found.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

cardsfan04 wrote:I will be shocked if Brewer isn't back next year. And, I really hope he is. There. I said it.
If we can get him for 1 to 2 mill less than sure if not than Cole or Strachan will replace them nicely.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Brewer does some things very well. He's agile, he generally moves the puck well, and he shows some offensive skill.

The problem is that people want him to be Chris Pronger and he's just not. He doesn't dominate. He doesn't hit enough. He isn't mean enough, and he backs into the defensive zone entirely too much.

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Stand pat this season, see where we finish, then upgrade in the offseason.
Unless a great deal falls into our lap that will improve the team now and for at least the next half dozen years, then I say we do nothing right now.

This is where I think (hope) the guys fit for next season:

1st Line type: Perron, McDonald
2nd Line type: Oshie, Steen, Tarasenko
3rd Line type: Berglund, Backes, D'Agostini
4th Line type: Winchester, McClement, Sobotka

And in the offseason:
Resign Oshie for $2 million per
Resign Sobotka for around $900k per
Resign D'Agostini for around $750k per
Resign Berglund for around $1m per
Resign Winchester for around $850k
Resign Polak for around $2m per
Try to trade Boyes in a package deal to acquire a 1st line sniper. If there aren't any takers, stick him on the 4th line and don't resign Winchester.
Let Janssen walk
Let Crombeen walk

Either resign Brewer for $2.5m or less per year, or let him walk and go with Cole.
Spend some money, sign a legitimate 1st line type player if one is available.
This season's roster has us at 12.3 million under the cap. So we have some room to play with, and hopefully the new ownership group will let us spend some of it on upgrading the team.

We paid McKee $1.33 million this year...how awful is that?

Anyway...this is just off the top of my head...discuss...
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

cprice12 wrote:Stand pat this season, see where we finish, then upgrade in the offseason.
Unless a great deal falls into our lap that will improve the team now and for at least the next half dozen years, then I say we do nothing right now.

This is where I think (hope) the guys fit for next season:

1st Line type: Perron, McDonald
2nd Line type: Oshie, Steen, Tarasenko
3rd Line type: Berglund, Backes, D'Agostini
4th Line type: Winchester, McClement, Sobotka

And in the offseason:
Resign Oshie for $2 million per
Resign Sobotka for around $900k per
Resign D'Agostini for around $750k per
Resign Berglund for around $1m per
Resign Winchester for around $850k
Resign Polak for around $2m per
Try to trade Boyes in a package deal to acquire a 1st line sniper. If there aren't any takers, stick him on the 4th line and don't resign Winchester.
Let Janssen walk
Let Crombeen walk

Either resign Brewer for $2.5m or less per year, or let him walk and go with Cole.
Spend some money, sign a legitimate 1st line type player if one is available.
This season's roster has us at 12.3 million under the cap. So we have some room to play with, and hopefully the new ownership group will let us spend some of it on upgrading the team.

We paid McKee $1.33 million this year...how awful is that?

Anyway...this is just off the top of my head...discuss...
I would change a few things.

-I'm fine letting Crombeen and Janssen go, but if you also let Winchester go by keeping Boyes, we don't have a lot of guys who can fight. I think that's a potential issue, but only a small one.

-I'd be willing to resign Brewer for $4million, or even the 4.5 he's making now. I think a lot of the dislike for Brewer stems from how he has played in previous years, not how he has played this year. As I understand it, he's the undisputed leader of the lockerroom. Last time I checked, he led the team in fights. While he has had some costly turnovers, he is generally more than solid defensively. And, he will be a 10-15 goal scorer this year, which is solid for a defenseman.

Cole, on the other hand, hasn't really looked good at all this year. They said he was slightly better than Pietro in pre-season, so I'm still optimistic about him. But forget money, we will take a huge step backward replacing him with Cole. Going with your $12.3 below salary cap this year, there is no reason we should need Brewer's money to sign a scorer. We should be able to do that while keeping Brewer. I'm basing this on the assumption that an ownership team that is now completely (?) in place, it is likely they will raise payroll. Or at least, it's more likely they raise payroll now than it was a year or two ago.

-I'd also like to see Oshie and Berglund on the same line. Oshie seems to make Berglund play closer to his potential.

-I wouldn't mind seeing McRae with a legitimate chance of making the team next year either.

strocklen083
All-Star
All-Star

Post by strocklen083 »

I absolutely hate that we're discussing off-season scenarios on January 25th. It's actually kind of sickening. This should be a discussion about who to get at the trade deadline or who we'll match up well against in April. Nevertheless...

- Assuming Brewer continues his strong play he needs to be re-signed. Can't believe those words are coming out of my mouth. But he's having a healthy, productive year. Hopefully everyone realizes he isn't Chris Pronger by now. But when healthy he's a solid, productive blue liner.

- Dump the muckers. We have too many Winchesters, Crombeens, Janssens, and Cracknalls on this roster. I know injuries have a lot to do with that but your organizational depth needs to be stronger than that. Your leading scorer gets hurt? Let's replace him with a guy who has 5 career AHL goals! Embarassing.

- Re-sign Oshie and Berglund, but not at a high premium. Oshie produces, no doubt. But he also has injury problems. I wouldn't go any higher than $2.5/year for him. If some teams steps in with a huge offer sheet, let him go and take the picks. Berglund I'd only spend $2/year, no more. He's starting to pick his game up, but he's no where near consistent enough to earn a decent salary on this team.

- SPEND! Spend money on SOMEONE. I literally don't get a shit who it is. But you gotta bring in a high end free agent. Look at these teams that have had to rebuild. They haven't won a single thing without also infusing their young core with talented veterans. This team needs a shake up and right now Army seems like too much of a puss to make a trade. So he's gotta go out and sign a guy. You aren't going to sell out your barn night after night pissing away leads like this. The good will is going to run out eventually.

Let's face it guys. We've been "rebuilding" for 5 years. Other teams have had fewer top 10 picks than us and have achieved higher levels of success. I don't know who to blame here but the "rebuild" excuse is wearing thin on a lot of people. This team should be competing for the divisional crown, not scratching and clawing for the 8th spot in the conference. Something's got to change.

AlsWoodenStick
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by AlsWoodenStick »

Maybe they'll call it "The Summer of Signings" and then go out and buy up the entire FA market...

We couldn't just sit around and not sign a scorer, could we?... Seriously, who does that?
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

strocklen083 wrote:
Let's face it guys. We've been "rebuilding" for 5 years. Other teams have had fewer top 10 picks than us and have achieved higher levels of success. I don't know who to blame here but the "rebuild" excuse is wearing thin on a lot of people. This team should be competing for the divisional crown, not scratching and clawing for the 8th spot in the conference. Something's got to change.
:plusplus:

joosforjihad
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by joosforjihad »

Johnson, Boyes (or Tarasenko if that's what it takes) and (our higher) first rounder

-for-

Malkin and (Pittsburgh's later) first rounder

Then, let Brewer walk and sign Weber to an offer sheet (something like 6 years, $40 mil.) in the offseason

I know our ownership likely won't spend this kind of money, but a fan can dream. IMO you can't trade Johnson unless you're getting somebody very good in return.

Official sponsor of Andy McDonald's 401k

[joosforjihad] 8:05 pm: Will you spare my life when the robots take over?
[Dooger] 8:05 pm: I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Let Crombeen walk?

Trade EJ and Tarasenko?

Are you people franking high?

:facepalm:

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

joosforjihad wrote:Johnson, Boyes (or Tarasenko if that's what it takes) and (our higher) first rounder

-for-

Malkin and (Pittsburgh's later) first rounder

Then, let Brewer walk and sign Weber to an offer sheet (something like 6 years, $40 mil.) in the offseason

I know our ownership likely won't spend this kind of money, but a fan can dream. IMO you can't trade Johnson unless you're getting somebody very good in return.
I wouldn't give up that much. I'd consider doing it with Johnson and Boyes, but not with Tarasenko too. And, having Malkin signed to a longterm deal would be a must too.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I think we were sold a bill of goods from Jarmo. Our kids just aren't that good, face it. Backes is good, Pie is good, EJ is crapping out, Perron will turn into a lettuce head risk with each successive crushing hit, Steen is the only guy who shows up for a full game and they had to trade to get him, for crissake!
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

Put a Blues uniform on Tarajaka and tell him he has to score at least 50 every year from hear on out.
make Brewer retire and give him a seat up in 316 next to Leedog

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I just heard an interesting idea on Fastlane. Brewer's trade stock is getting higher. I would be totally fine with them shopping him at the deadline. If we can get something decent for him, why not?

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Why? Brewer has 8 goals, that's awesome for this crap ass team. Trade Boyes for a 7th rounder and be done with it.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

joosforjihad
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by joosforjihad »

goon attack wrote:Let Crombeen walk?

Trade EJ and Tarasenko?

Are you people franking high?

:facepalm:
no

for Malkin... yes

I am, I can't speak for the others

:carrot:

Official sponsor of Andy McDonald's 401k

[joosforjihad] 8:05 pm: Will you spare my life when the robots take over?
[Dooger] 8:05 pm: I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

There was some talk that Checketts was requiring any new investor (or investors) to inject some capital to "improve the business." Said another way, simply buying a portion of the team is not enough, you have to kick in some additional money.

Whether this applies to player salaries, other aspects of the operation, or a combination of the two, remains to be seen.

So there is the potential there will be some money to play with...but seeing is believing.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

This offseason...

is 6 months away. So.....yeeeeeeaaaaahhhhh.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb