5 out of last 6 pts....crucial stretch coming up

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: 5 out of last 6 pts....crucial stretch coming up

Post by dmiles2186 »

stlbluz wrote:
cprice12 wrote:
stlbluz wrote:I like the last 2 posts & think that if Halak regains his early season touch we might have a chance. Also - we need players to fear crossing our blueline but so far nobody has been willing to even scratch that surface.
I agree.
But Jackman isn't a punishing defenseman anymore...not since Bertuzzi messed up his shoulder.
Our fearless leader and captain, Mr. Eric Brewer, doesn't intimidate anyone...which is sad. He's big and he's capable of being that punishing type, but he just doesn't do it...probably because he's fragile and doesn't want to risk another injury.
Petro, EJ and Carlo are more offensive minded, so I don't even know if I'd want them playing a punishing style...plus, they probably aren't capable of it without hurting themselves in the process.
Polak could be that guy...not sure why he doesn't lay out guys more. He should.

As a defensive group, you need to have an identity. You need to be:
1) Physical and punishing
2) Offensive and putting up points
or
3) So fundamentally sound that they allow very few scoring chances

We're none of those. Our defense has been decent this year, but we don't fit into any of the above categories...but honestly, that isn't really a concern with how poorly the offense has been performing.

Any moves that this team makes in the offseason to improve should start and stop with the offense.
I swear to God...if our big free agent move is signing a veteran defenseman to replace Brewer or signing a 3rd line forward, I'm going to go ballistic.
Nice post, & yes, there's no reason why Polak isn't dropping people like the Blues in the standings.
I'm going to go a little "Chris Farley Show" on you here but....Do you remember that one time where Polak sent Hossa head first into the boards from the faceoff circle on sheer strength alone?

Yeah, that was awesome.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

stlbluz
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Re: 5 out of last 6 pts....crucial stretch coming up

Post by stlbluz »

His conditioning results alone indicate that he's capable of dishing out some damage. I truely wonder if Payne has the boys reigned in for some reason.
Official Sponsor of Andy 'Airtime' McDonald