5 out of last 6 pts....crucial stretch coming up

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

5 out of last 6 pts....crucial stretch coming up

Post by cprice12 »

Here we go...
We're 2-0-1 in our last three games, good for 5 out of a possible 6 pts.

That needs to be the start of a nice stretch of games. Are they going to go on a run, or do we lose the next couple games and keep treading water?

10 games left this month....and they are actually a bunch of winnable games...aside from the two games vs. Vancouver (whom we always play well against). And except for Buffalo and Vancouver, we are battling for a playoff spot with the rest of them.

I think we need to go at least 7-2-1 to finish out the month...and if that is our record, I'd prefer us lose to Buffalo, lose both games to Vancouver (one in OT), and then go 7-0-0 against everyone else since those teams are either just ahead of us or just behind us in the standings.

Crucial part of the season for us coming up because of who we are playing over the next 10 games.

We play well, we're in good shape...we don't, and we could be completely out of it, and be sellers at the deadline.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: 5 out of last 6 pts....crucial stretch coming up

Post by cardsfan04 »

I was just having this exact conversation w/ a buddy at the bar last night. If we can spin off something like 10 of 11, we can be in pretty decent shape. Halak is the key to a run like that, and last night makes me optimistic that there's a shot it could happen.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

cardsfan04 wrote:I was just having this exact conversation w/ a buddy at the bar last night. If we can spin off something like 10 of 11, we can be in pretty decent shape. Halak is the key to a run like that, and last night makes me optimistic that there's a shot it could happen.
YA!

...and if my aunt had a dick, she would be my uncle!

This team can't score enough goals to make a run like that.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

gotta score to win. Cant expect Halak to allow only 1 goal a game
just face it, Blues arent making the playoffs this year. We all saw this coming.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Blues scored 2.84 goals/game when Mason got hot and got them into the playoffs 2 years ago. They scroe 2.69/game this year, which isn't that much less. Not sure why the 1 goal per game keeps getting thrown around. We've scored 2.69/game so far this year, not 1/game. And simple logic says that should improve given the recent return of Oshie/McDonald.

Obviously Mason's hot streak was pretty sick and it's unfair to expect Halak to repeat that. But, given what happened in 2008-09, it seems silly to count them out so quickly. I mean, it's not going to be easy to make the playoffs, but it's certainly possible. We also don't need to win 10 of 11 to have a shot.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

(Frank) losing to the Canucks. We'll beat them here, and play them well there too.
Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

cardsfan04 wrote:Blues scored 2.84 goals/game when Mason got hot and got them into the playoffs 2 years ago. They scroe 2.69/game this year, which isn't that much less. Not sure why the 1 goal per game keeps getting thrown around. We've scored 2.69/game so far this year, not 1/game. And simple logic says that should improve given the recent return of Oshie/McDonald.

Obviously Mason's hot streak was pretty sick and it's unfair to expect Halak to repeat that. But, given what happened in 2008-09, it seems silly to count them out so quickly. I mean, it's not going to be easy to make the playoffs, but it's certainly possible. We also don't need to win 10 of 11 to have a shot.
Because it's impossible to score 2.69 goals per game. That means some games you score 2, some games you score 3 (on average of course). On those games that you score 2 goals, you have to hold the other team to 1 goal in order to win. That's why the number of 1 goal allowed per game keeps getting thrown out. If we only win those games we score 3 or more goals, we don't make the playoffs.

Will Halak finish with a GAA of 1.00? Of course not. But he's going to have to get that GAA down to compensate for our low 2.69 goals/game average.

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Jaro's GAA is 2.58 btw...
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Expect the scoring to increase with A Mac & Oshie back and the fact that this is a young team. They know they are about to flame out here so I expect more effort. Will it be enough? I hope so.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

I am not sure it's an effort issue tho. I am starting to think that we just aren't skilled enough at the forward position to consistenly finish. We generate GREAT scoring chances regularly, we just don't make the final shot that finishes it effectively.

The other thing is I just don't see the intensity of physical play that I expect from a team built like this one. Not to rehash, but blow guys up at the blueline instead of the "deer in the headlights" approach we usually see.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

stlbluz
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by stlbluz »

I like the last 2 posts & think that if Halak regains his early season touch we might have a chance. Also - we need players to fear crossing our blueline but so far nobody has been willing to even scratch that surface.
Official Sponsor of Andy 'Airtime' McDonald

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

When wastes of space like Cam Janssen hits somebody and winds up on his own ass, like happens whenever he hits someone, it is hard to be intimidating. Of course, this doesn't include all the times he attempts to hit someone, misses and falls on his ass anyway.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

Anything is possible, but I don't think this team has it in them to make a real push.

They'll probably come close enough to get our hopes up, but that will be it.

Probably finish right out of the playoffs again and without a nice juicy pick. GO BLUES!

stlbluz
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by stlbluz »

It's the Blues - I predict 9th place.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

Nothing I've seen from this team thus far leads me to believe we'll make the playoffs; however,a quick look at the rest of the schedule does give a ray of hope. The playoffs are obtainable, but we need to play at a ridiculous level, and we have to start now.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

kodos wrote:Anything is possible, but I don't think this team has it in them to make a real push.

Probably finish right out of the playoffs again and without a nice juicy pick. GO BLUES!
We can start the 2011-2012 "but we've got games in hand" and our "kids will be much better" threads now and just skip the rest of the season.

:lol:

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

Portland Blues wrote:
kodos wrote:Anything is possible, but I don't think this team has it in them to make a real push.

We can start the 2011-2012 "but we've got games in hand" and our "kids will be much better" threads now and just skip the rest of the season.

:lol:
Nope. These pansies have to start winning now. The core is healthy, minus Perron. There is no reason they shouldn't be winning like they were in October.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

stlbluz wrote:I like the last 2 posts & think that if Halak regains his early season touch we might have a chance. Also - we need players to fear crossing our blueline but so far nobody has been willing to even scratch that surface.
I agree.
But Jackman isn't a punishing defenseman anymore...not since Bertuzzi messed up his shoulder.
Our fearless leader and captain, Mr. Eric Brewer, doesn't intimidate anyone...which is sad. He's big and he's capable of being that punishing type, but he just doesn't do it...probably because he's fragile and doesn't want to risk another injury.
Petro, EJ and Carlo are more offensive minded, so I don't even know if I'd want them playing a punishing style...plus, they probably aren't capable of it without hurting themselves in the process.
Polak could be that guy...not sure why he doesn't lay out guys more. He should.

As a defensive group, you need to have an identity. You need to be:
1) Physical and punishing
2) Offensive and putting up points
or
3) So fundamentally sound that they allow very few scoring chances

We're none of those. Our defense has been decent this year, but we don't fit into any of the above categories...but honestly, that isn't really a concern with how poorly the offense has been performing.

Any moves that this team makes in the offseason to improve should start and stop with the offense.
I swear to God...if our big free agent move is signing a veteran defenseman to replace Brewer or signing a 3rd line forward, I'm going to go ballistic.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

Like we've said for the past few seasons.. Jackman and Brewer must go. New blood is needed
And of course they dont have enough talent up front. Otherwise they would be scoring...
You cant suck for many years and suddenly expect these chumps to start scoring.

Backes, Oshie, Perron, and Steen are the only forwards worth keeping

stlbluz
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by stlbluz »

cprice12 wrote:
stlbluz wrote:I like the last 2 posts & think that if Halak regains his early season touch we might have a chance. Also - we need players to fear crossing our blueline but so far nobody has been willing to even scratch that surface.
I agree.
But Jackman isn't a punishing defenseman anymore...not since Bertuzzi messed up his shoulder.
Our fearless leader and captain, Mr. Eric Brewer, doesn't intimidate anyone...which is sad. He's big and he's capable of being that punishing type, but he just doesn't do it...probably because he's fragile and doesn't want to risk another injury.
Petro, EJ and Carlo are more offensive minded, so I don't even know if I'd want them playing a punishing style...plus, they probably aren't capable of it without hurting themselves in the process.
Polak could be that guy...not sure why he doesn't lay out guys more. He should.

As a defensive group, you need to have an identity. You need to be:
1) Physical and punishing
2) Offensive and putting up points
or
3) So fundamentally sound that they allow very few scoring chances

We're none of those. Our defense has been decent this year, but we don't fit into any of the above categories...but honestly, that isn't really a concern with how poorly the offense has been performing.

Any moves that this team makes in the offseason to improve should start and stop with the offense.
I swear to God...if our big free agent move is signing a veteran defenseman to replace Brewer or signing a 3rd line forward, I'm going to go ballistic.
Nice post, & yes, there's no reason why Polak isn't dropping people like the Blues in the standings.