The Next Blues Captain

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Who will be voted the next Blues Captain?

Jackman
4%
Backes
87%
Steen
2%
McDonald
2%
Someone Else
6%

Total votes: 53

AlsWoodenStick
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Re: The Next Blues Captain

Post by AlsWoodenStick »

Cabby wrote:
cprice12 wrote:We'll have to wait until next season to see who the captain is.

They aren't naming a captain this year, out of respect to Brewer. What the hell??

They did this same damn thing when Drake left. Name a (Frank) captain and quit trying to be so damn polite.
I couldn't agree more with this. I remember when they did this when Dallas left, and I thought it was dumb then, too. It's not like Brewer was a legend and we're retiring his number next week or something. Jeez, just name a captain!
Speaking of defensive Captains, how long did they wait to hand out another #44?
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

cardsfan04 wrote:I'm always a little surprised that Oshie's name doesn't come up in discussion. I don't think he should wear the C, but I could see him getting an A.
Oshie is a great player and one of my favorite Blues, stemming back to his HS and collegiate days. That said, he's not, shall we say, captain material, at least not at this point. There's plenty more where that inteview came from.
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

I never totally soured on Jackman, he's just not the player I'd hoped he'd be. He's still good in my opinion. He just doesn't fight enough.

And for the record..... Scott Stevens was prone to making mental errors throughout the first half of his career. It wasn't until he went to Jersey that he became more consistent in that regard. He would fight, a lot, and that's why the fans still loved him in Washington despite the gaffes.

Giving away tough defensemen who are legit top 4 is always a bad idea if you ask me. Johnson and Brewer both played like pussies so I couldn't care less that they are gone.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

I'd like to see a Jackman fight for old times sake just to see if he can still break someone's face.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Backes right now is the face of the Blues, making the All-Star game, the contract extension...everything points the Backes.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

AlsWoodenStick wrote:
Cabby wrote:

They aren't naming a captain this year, out of respect to Brewer. What the hell??

They did this same damn thing when Drake left. Name a (Frank) captain and quit trying to be so damn polite.
I couldn't agree more with this. I remember when they did this when Dallas left, and I thought it was dumb then, too. It's not like Brewer was a legend and we're retiring his number next week or something. Jeez, just name a captain!
Speaking of defensive Captains, how long did they wait to hand out another #44?
Sydor I believe.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

goon attack wrote:I never totally soured on Jackman, he's just not the player I'd hoped he'd be. He's still good in my opinion. He just doesn't fight enough.

And for the record..... Scott Stevens was prone to making mental errors throughout the first half of his career. It wasn't until he went to Jersey that he became more consistent in that regard. He would fight, a lot, and that's why the fans still loved him in Washington despite the gaffes.

Giving away tough defensemen who are legit top 4 is always a bad idea if you ask me. Johnson and Brewer both played like pussies so I couldn't care less that they are gone.

Yes, but save that nice check Saturday night, Jackman has lost his physical edge as well.

He's always had terrible awareness and is arguably one of the worse passing defensmen in the league. What he 'brought' to the table was that crease clearing defenseman whose physical play in the corners wore on opponents........ that's gone now.

IN an article in the PD last week in regards to his 500th game he commented that you aren't aloud to hit guys anymore and it's more about blocking shots and lifting the opponents stick and such. I have three problems with this.

#1) You don't do a good job of blocking shots

#2) You don't do a good job of lifting the stick, breaking up timing, or creating turnovers.

#3) {this one has nothing to do with Jackman}If it were true that you cont 'touch' guys to get them out of the crease, how come we NEVER have anyone in the crease?

My point ins't to bash on Jackman as much it's merely to point out that he is less 'help' to this team then either of the two defensemen we just traded and people are wanting to give him the 'C'??????

As I noted, the team has cut his ice time and therefore he hasn't had as much of a negative impact...so I'm ok with him playing out his contract here. I just don't see giving him the 'C'.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

DaDitka wrote: IN an article in the PD last week in regards to his 500th game he commented that you aren't aloud to hit guys anymore and it's more about blocking shots and lifting the opponents stick and such.
Well, the Wild and Wings were sure as heck beating each other up in front of their creases, yesterday, and there weren't any calls at all about the hitting going on there. All of the penalties were the tripping/holding during breakouts type calls.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

Plusity plus plus plus :plusplus:

If you want to honor Brewer, build a statue. Since everyone knows you're not going to do that, let the actual team leader wear the C.
Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

ohio BLUES wrote:

If you want to honor Brewer, build a statue. Since everyone knows you're not going to do that, let the actual team leader wear the C.
Wait... How long did Al Macinnis wait for his? And Brett Hull. No, Brewer would have to wait. Oh, and do something worthy of a statue!
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

ohio BLUES wrote:

If you want to honor Brewer, build a statue.
If they did that it would look like this...
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

stlmark
All-Star
All-Star

Post by stlmark »

Easy decision.....Backes!
LGB sponsor of Vladimir Sobotka

bluesfan115
Prospect
Prospect

Post by bluesfan115 »

The logical choice is either Backes or Jackman...no arguments...Jackman, IMHO would be the logical choice, because he logs the most minutes on ice, but Backes would be the heart felt choice, because of his passion on and off ice...either would be a tremendous upgrade over what we have had in the last 5 years ( was never a Drake as capt. fan)

Here is a thought though...and it actually makes sense...How about giving the C to Petro? He is a longgggg term solution on the D, and it would be ala Prongeresk to do it...Just thinking outside the box on this...

As always., Just My Two Cents...

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

Maybe the team was waiting until after the trade deadline because so many players were moving or in possible moves.

Now that the season is shaping out as a bust and the team is taking shape, I'm ok with waiting until next year. And Petro might be the best longterm, although I think Backes is the logical choice.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I'm not anti-Pietro getting the C per se. But, he's really only had one season in the NHL. I still say give it to Backes, and don't put any unnecessary pressure on an inexperienced player. When it comes down to it, wearing the C is an honor more than anything. Leaders are going to lead whether they have an A, a C, or nothing on their jersey. So, I don't see the benefit of giving it to Pietro, but I see a potential negative of him pressing too hard to show he deserves it, which could lead to him regressing.

The same logic actually goes for Jackman v Backes wearing it. Backes won't become less of a team leader if he's got the A, and I don't think Jackman will become more of one wearing a C. So, I don't think it really matters all that much if they give it to Jackman.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

cardsfan04 wrote:I'm not anti-Pietro getting the C per se. But, he's really only had one season in the NHL. I still say give it to Backes, and don't put any unnecessary pressure on an inexperienced player. When it comes down to it, wearing the C is an honor more than anything. Leaders are going to lead whether they have an A, a C, or nothing on their jersey. So, I don't see the benefit of giving it to Pietro, but I see a potential negative of him pressing too hard to show he deserves it, which could lead to him regressing.

The same logic actually goes for Jackman v Backes wearing it. Backes won't become less of a team leader if he's got the A, and I don't think Jackman will become more of one wearing a C. So, I don't think it really matters all that much if they give it to Jackman.

If you want to put a C on Jackman's chest in the offseason, trade him to Calgary.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

cardsfan04 wrote:I'm not anti-Pietro getting the C per se. But, he's really only had one season in the NHL. I still say give it to Backes, and don't put any unnecessary pressure on an inexperienced player. When it comes down to it, wearing the C is an honor more than anything. Leaders are going to lead whether they have an A, a C, or nothing on their jersey. So, I don't see the benefit of giving it to Pietro, but I see a potential negative of him pressing too hard to show he deserves it, which could lead to him regressing.
See this is a quality post. If you had just left off the other paragraph it would have been spot on.

Official Sponsor of "The Barn"
2013-2014 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2010-2011 Official Sponsor of Brad Winchester
2009-2010 Official Sponsor of Paul Kariya

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

thedoc wrote:
See this is a quality post. If you had just left off the other paragraph it would have been spot on.
lol, sooo close.

Seriously though, I would give it to Backes. I'm just saying I don't think it's a catastrophe if Jackman gets it. If Backes stops being a team leader because he has an A instead of the C, he's probably not that great of a leader anyway.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

cardsfan04 wrote:
thedoc wrote:
lol, sooo close.

Seriously though, I would give it to Backes. I'm just saying I don't think it's a catastrophe if Jackman gets it. If Backes stops being a team leader because he has an A instead of the C, he's probably not that great of a leader anyway.
It might depend on what plans are for the offseason. Jackman might be moved at some point, but until that decision is made I can see no "C" for the remaining of the year. If Jackman is part of the "veteran dman need", then I can see the "C" going to him.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

D'agostini for captain!