Checketts out, per Miklasz

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Checketts out, per Miklasz

Post by sseagle »

I also heard Blowhard McHairdo (Barry Melrose) on KMOX earlier, he claims that the NHL wont let the Blues move, and that if the Blues were up for relocation, 25 other teams should be too.... but he is also a moron..

Dollar Dave has said multiple times that this team will stay here, even tonight I heard a few interviews in a few different places where he insisted they would stay, and more importantly, would not have a fire sale and would be extending certain key players.
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

sseagle wrote:I also heard Blowhard McHairdo (Barry Melrose) on KMOX earlier, he claims that the NHL wont let the Blues move, and that if the Blues were up for relocation, 25 other teams should be too.... but he is also a moron..

Dollar Dave has said multiple times that this team will stay here, even tonight I heard a few interviews in a few different places where he insisted they would stay, and more importantly, would not have a fire sale and would be extending certain key players.
Mellrose may be a goof...but he's right about the league not letting the Blues move.

The Blues aren't going anywhere. It's a good hockey market, they sell out games, there is a lot of history here, they have a good arena, they aren't losing money hand over fist, etc.

They just need stable ownership for crying out loud. This is getting ridiculous. This team is getting sold once every 10 years or so.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

cprice12 wrote:
sseagle wrote:I also heard Blowhard McHairdo (Barry Melrose) on KMOX earlier, he claims that the NHL wont let the Blues move, and that if the Blues were up for relocation, 25 other teams should be too.... but he is also a moron..

Mellrose may be a goof...but he's right about the league not letting the Blues move.

The Blues aren't going anywhere. It's a good hockey market, they sell out games, there is a lot of history here, they have a good arena, they aren't losing money hand over fist, etc.

They just need stable ownership for crying out loud. This is getting ridiculous. This team is getting sold once every 10 years or so.

This.

Look how hard the league is working to make sure Phoenix can not move.

And again, as noted earlier in this thread, the sale will include the OPERATING lease on the arena and the Kiel Opera house. The Blues lease may be up (I don't know one way or the other) but Dave still owns a long term lease on the Scott. Imagine how impossible it would be for him to sell that without the Blues as a tenant.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

bluesfan115
Prospect
Prospect

Post by bluesfan115 »

Heres a thought, Stan Kroenke has divested his interest in the Avs in order to purchase the Rams...How about him as owner?? Makes perfect sense to me, and it would garauntee the Blues stay in St. Louis, via NFL rules...

And it would also allow Checketts to stay on ( if he indeed wanted too) as the voice of ownership...Just a thought

Leedog
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Leedog »

My thoughts (not that anyone really cares):
Checketts has done a good job, in general, improving the teams talent base, building, game presentation, etc. Thank you!
However.....his ego put this whole process behind by a full year. They wanted to sell a year ago. He wasted a whole year trying to reach an unrealistic goal. This has put the rebuild process behind by a year. The Blues were on pause, in many respects, while he was searchin for a rainbow.
Also, if you notice, he won't do what he was expecting others to do. Have a huge chunk of money tied up in a business but not have a say in it. Seems like he isn't offering to stay on as a minority, silent partner. If someone bought the 70% Towerbrook owns, they would have control. They don't necessarily have to buy his 20% share. But he doesn't wanna keep it if he doesn't rule the roost. Yet he expected others to do so.
Something else blew up in his face. He raised prices and cut payroll. Made it profitable (marginally). Now Towerbrook has raised their asking price to a level his investment team can't afford. Maybe he shoulda left it alone. But then again, he may not have been able to line up the investors he did.
Unofficial sponsor of Sarah Palin for PILF '12

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

The fact is the market is flooded with teams for sale right now. Phoenix, Florida, Dallas, and Toronto (66%) are all already on the market.

If anyone moves, it will be Florida.

That said, my guess is this sale will take quite a long time. Any perspective owner will probably wait for the Phoenix and Florida deals to go through considering they are sure to 'lower' the market value of a NHL franchise.

I see another offseason (and season) of tight purse strings in our future.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

One thing is clear: anyone who buys season tickets gets what they deserve. While the rest of the NHL will get better, the roster today is probably the roster they'll play next season with. There's no way that they're going to add payroll, and that means another below-average team.
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

big d note
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by big d note »

Leedog wrote:My thoughts (not that anyone really cares):
Checketts has done a good job, in general, improving the teams talent base, building, game presentation, etc. Thank you!
However.....his ego put this whole process behind by a full year. They wanted to sell a year ago. He wasted a whole year trying to reach an unrealistic goal. This has put the rebuild process behind by a year. The Blues were on pause, in many respects, while he was searchin for a rainbow.
Also, if you notice, he won't do what he was expecting others to do. Have a huge chunk of money tied up in a business but not have a say in it. Seems like he isn't offering to stay on as a minority, silent partner. If someone bought the 70% Towerbrook owns, they would have control. They don't necessarily have to buy his 20% share. But he doesn't wanna keep it if he doesn't rule the roost. Yet he expected others to do so.
Something else blew up in his face. He raised prices and cut payroll. Made it profitable (marginally). Now Towerbrook has raised their asking price to a level his investment team can't afford. Maybe he shoulda left it alone. But then again, he may not have been able to line up the investors he did.
Good points. From the interview during the game last night, it sounds like this decision was made for him by Towerbrook. They want out, Checketts couldn't find a replacement silent majority partner, so they told him that time is up - sell everything so we can unload our share.
Official Sponsor of Ray Barile
[Dooger] 9:10 am: That David [Backes] is a cool dude.
RIP Pavol Demitra - I hope you are "so hoppy" wherever you are now

Oz-iz-God
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Oz-iz-God »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:
SIU LAW wrote:Here is a fun doomsday fact: The lease that keeps the Blues in St. Louis ran only through the 2010-2011 season.

(not I believe the team would actually move)
I did not know that - Can you say Kansas City here we come? Cause our new arena has a sweet lease all ready to rock and roll.

:lol:
That thought actually crossed my mind.

I'm a native Kansas City kid, I have no particular allegiance to St. Louis. Better still, I live in Columbia so it's pretty much the same drive to either city. All told, I'd root for them just as easily in KC as I would in STL, but I'd get to do it in a much MUCH better arena in KC.

Checkett's clearly struggled to find STL investors that would back him and there's a fair amount of money in KC. I wouldn't be stunned if a KC area guy made a hard move on the Blues and tried to send them a couple hundred miles east.
[Aode] 10:34 pm: well, if I find cornhole anywhere, I'll try it and let you know

It could always be worse, I could be a Cubs fan. (But please, if you could spare me the parallels between the respective organizations, I'd really appreciate it).

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Oz-iz-God wrote:All told, I'd root for them just as easily in KC as I would in STL, but I'd get to do it in a much MUCH better arena in KC.
I don't understand? I like Scottrade, not a bad seat in the house. And it got a perfect score in a research done, cant remember the topic, but is there a hockey rink already in KC?
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

Leedog
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Leedog »

The Sprint Center is new and beautiful. I saw Paul McCartney there last summer.

Oz-iz-God
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Oz-iz-God »

STLADOGG wrote:
Oz-iz-God wrote:All told, I'd root for them just as easily in KC as I would in STL, but I'd get to do it in a much MUCH better arena in KC.
I don't understand? I like Scottrade, not a bad seat in the house. And it got a perfect score in a research done, cant remember the topic, but is there a hockey rink already in KC?
Yeah, the Sprint Center is pretty amazing.

They've done a nice job of keeping Scottrade in good shape and making it a nice venue. But it's unreasonable to expect it to be on par with the brand new building in KC.

I gotta imagine Sprint ranks up with the top 3-5 arenas in the sport. The place is outstanding.
[Aode] 10:34 pm: well, if I find cornhole anywhere, I'll try it and let you know

It could always be worse, I could be a Cubs fan. (But please, if you could spare me the parallels between the respective organizations, I'd really appreciate it).

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Oz-iz-God wrote:
STLADOGG wrote:
Yeah, the Sprint Center is pretty amazing.

They've done a nice job of keeping Scottrade in good shape and making it a nice venue. But it's unreasonable to expect it to be on par with the brand new building in KC.

I gotta imagine Sprint ranks up with the top 3-5 arenas in the sport. The place is outstanding.
Ohh wow...just saw it, man is that arena beautiful...doesn't surprise me though KC is a beautiful city.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

1. The Sprint Center is not new. It is just under used and so is in good condition.

2. Stan can't buy the team because he still has a stake in the Av's no matter how we slice it.

3. If a buyer can't be found in a timely fashion there is a possibility be it ever so so slim. Towerbrook could just pull the plug on the whole thing. Remember these people are in business to make money not win Cups. And the price of the Blues is pocket change to them. If there is a possibility of this dragging on who knows what could happen ie. tax right off.

Official Sponsor of "The Barn"
2013-2014 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2010-2011 Official Sponsor of Brad Winchester
2009-2010 Official Sponsor of Paul Kariya

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

I started a money pool on Facebook to buy the team. So far we're up to $30. We're practically there. I'll be sure to hook you guys up with some nachos or cheap brewski's when I'm the president.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

ViPeRx007 wrote:I started a money pool on Facebook to buy the team. So far we're up to $30. We're practically there. I'll be sure to hook you guys up with some nachos or cheap brewski's when I'm the president.
Will you keep "teh organ"?

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

ViPeRx007 wrote:I started a money pool on Facebook to buy the team. So far we're up to $30. We're practically there. I'll be sure to hook you guys up with some nachos or cheap brewski's when I'm the president.
Uh-oh. sseagle has some competition to buy the team.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Mark Cuban, where are you?
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

glen a richter wrote:Mark Cuban, where are you?
Yeah, no kidding.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

Leedog
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Leedog »

Does the NHL have any stupid rules about owning a team in a different city (different sport) like the NFL does?