Checketts out, per Miklasz

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Checketts out, per Miklasz

Post by cardsfan04 »

cprice12 wrote:
glen a richter wrote:Mark Cuban, where are you?
Yeah, no kidding.
Yeah, he is, by far, my top choice for who I want to buy the team. It would actually be pretty cool if we could organize something to let Cuban know that Blues fans want him to buy the team. Never know, if there was overwhelming, unsolicited support of him buying the team, it might just pique his interest.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

dmiles2186 wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:I started a money pool on Facebook to buy the team. So far we're up to $30. We're practically there. I'll be sure to hook you guys up with some nachos or cheap brewski's when I'm the president.
Uh-oh. sseagle has some competition to buy the team.
I wrote the check already...
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

cprice12 wrote:
glen a richter wrote:Mark Cuban, where are you?
Yeah, no kidding.

Since the Stars are for sale, I would guess that would be his first choice if he wanted to throw his hat in the NHL game.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Or he could sell the Mavericks and, undoubtedly turn a profit on the team, then buy the Blues, the Hornets and the Scott and move the Hornets from New Orleans to St. Louis. This way he can still have a basketball team, also own a hockey team, and probably make a bundle off the sale of the Mavs.

I hate basketball with a passion, but it boggles my mind that St. Louis, of all the cities in the country, doesn't have a team. Cuban could coincidentally satisfy the hockey fans need for a real owner who actually cares about his teams and also the undoubtedly large contingent of basketball fans in the city. Next step, buy the Rams and the Cards and he has the market cornered on St. Louis sports. He'd be a local legend.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

This brings around the basketball vs. hockey debate- i.e., if St. Louis had an NBA team, would it be more popular than the Blues? Is it a large enough market for both to be popular and make a profit?

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

gaijin wrote:This brings around the basketball vs. hockey debate- i.e., if St. Louis had an NBA team, would it be more popular than the Blues? Is it a large enough market for both to be popular and make a profit?
e there.
Not a big enough market for both, and no....the NBA could not survive.

The 'target' audience has proven before in this city not willing/able to purchase NBA tickets. The corporate support certainly wouldn't be there. And on of the major things the Blues have going for them are their roots in the community. So may today love hockey and going to games because it was prevalent with their parents, and in turn are passing this n to their children. There are numerous in attendance each and every student night whose grand parents were season ticket holders in the late sixties and early seventies.

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

I would like the idea honestly of Mark Cuban buying the team. The guy at least seems like he cares about winning. As far as making us a four sport town, I don't see how that could work. Corporate dollars are stretched thin as it is. IMO basketball is in a huge decline right now and they are going to have to work really hard to get their market share up as it is in areas that they already have teams.

Official Sponsor of "The Barn"
2013-2014 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2010-2011 Official Sponsor of Brad Winchester
2009-2010 Official Sponsor of Paul Kariya

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Mark Cuban is a very polarizing figure. Many in Dallas absolutely hate the guy, because they don't feel he does enough to make the Mavs a winning team. Want the same in St Louis? Isn't that what everyone is already complaining about from the current owner??
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

Those people are insane and have very short memories. Before Mark Cuban, the Mavs were NOTHING. Completely irrelevant. He's done a great job of getting them as far as he has, and he's made that a very attractive place for FAs every single year. He would be a great owner.
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Nyghtewynd wrote:Those people are insane and have very short memories. Before Mark Cuban, the Mavs were NOTHING. Completely irrelevant. He's done a great job of getting them as far as he has, and he's made that a very attractive place for FAs every single year. He would be a great owner.
The Dallas Mavericks have never won an NBA Championship. Are they competitive now? Yes. Are they a Championship team? No. He's in his 11th year as an owner. Yes, they made the Finals in '06 and lost. They are a sub-.500 playoff team during Cuban's tenure - 49-57. Who are all the big name FAs the Mavericks have signed during Cuban's ownership? Since 2006, every FA they have signed was already on the team. No one from anywhere else. This is where the fan complaints originate. Why won't Cuban go after other FAs?? Part of that issue is the way Cuban treats other players during games. He alienates them. Ask Dwayne Wade.

Like I said. The guy is polarizing. And this isn't even considering his outbursts. He would probably make Colin Cambpell apopleptic with the way he criticizes officials and if he were the Blues owner, the Blues would probably lose draft picks because of him. ;)

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

theohall wrote:. Who are all the big name FAs the Mavericks have signed during Cuban's ownership? Since 2006, every FA they have signed was already on the team. No one from anywhere else. This is where the fan complaints originate. Why won't Cuban go after other FAs??

So you're saying he'd be "more of the same"?

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

DaDitka wrote:
theohall wrote:. Who are all the big name FAs the Mavericks have signed during Cuban's ownership? Since 2006, every FA they have signed was already on the team. No one from anywhere else. This is where the fan complaints originate. Why won't Cuban go after other FAs??

So you're saying he'd be "more of the same"?
Yes. Initially, he would bring in folks to make them more competitive (like he did in Dallas). And then, it stops and becomes more of the same we already experience, plus having to put up with his ego and general dickishness. Yes, he doubles up on fines by donating to charities with matching amounts, but he still acts like a dick... alot. Read up on the guy.

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

theohall wrote: Yes, he doubles up on fines by donating to charities with matching amounts, but he still acts like a dick... alot. Read up on the guy.
If I had his kinda money I would be a dick to all of you to...except Glen, and Dmiles. You two are good boys. :plusplus:

Official Sponsor of "The Barn"
2013-2014 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2010-2011 Official Sponsor of Brad Winchester
2009-2010 Official Sponsor of Paul Kariya

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

thedoc wrote:
theohall wrote: Yes, he doubles up on fines by donating to charities with matching amounts, but he still acts like a dick... alot. Read up on the guy.
If I had his kinda money I would be a dick to all of you to...except Glen, and Dmiles. You two are good boys. :plusplus:
The issue with him being a dick - he is a dick to players on other teams during games. Not a real good way to "attract" free agents.