Oshie's absence from Blues Practice 'unexcused'

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Leedog
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Oshie's absence from Blues Practice 'unexcused'

Post by Leedog »

So, Hull kinda said if he was ever late he had someone else to blame other than himself. Sounds about right.
Unofficial sponsor of Sarah Palin for PILF '12

TheoSqua
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by TheoSqua »

Leedog wrote:So, Hull kinda said if he was ever late he had someone else to blame other than himself. Sounds about right.
:okman:
Official LGB Sponser of 10 year old signatures:

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

As I watch the blues tonight, I wonder...would we be surprised if Petro or Polak missed practiced? What about Chris Stewart?

When we heard the news about Oshie we weren't really surprised were we? Perception unfortunately goes along way.

I guess I expect more players to be like Stewart. Sticking up for teammates...scoring goals...you know, playing hockey because he's getting paid to and because he has the passion for it.

Oh well...drunk rant over.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

northwest dave wrote:As I watch the blues tonight, I wonder...would we be surprised if Petro or Polak missed practiced? What about Chris Stewart?

When we heard the news about Oshie we weren't really surprised were we? Perception unfortunately goes along way.

I guess I expect more players to be like Stewart. Sticking up for teammates...scoring goals...you know, playing hockey because he's getting paid to and because he has the passion for it.

Oh well...drunk rant over.
yeah your right, seems like Osh cares more about his "night life" than hockey.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

From the AP article:

"Blues general manager Doug Armstrong said Tuesday that Oshie is not suspended and won't be fined for the unexcused absence."

That'll learn him...

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

philco_3 wrote::cup:

Practice...were talking about practice? OK, he doesn't show up. Fine him, and double shift his ass all night long to teach him a lesson. Don't scratch him. What's that gonna teach him? "Oh you miss a practice and you get to sit a game."
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Portland Blues wrote:From the AP article:

"Blues general manager Doug Armstrong said Tuesday that Oshie is not suspended and won't be fined for the unexcused absence."

That'll learn him...
Uh... Panger said he was suspended 2 games. And Armstrong said Oshie is suspended...with pay.
"He will miss the next two game and we will re-evaluate things when we get back (on Thursday)," Armstrong said. "Everything else is going to be handled internally. But he won't play tonight, won't play tomorrow night and won't travel with the team."
Oshe missed 31 games earlier this season with a broken ankle. He has seven points in his last six starts and lately has been centering the team's third line.
He was not allowed to skate with the team on Tuesday morning and was not present at Scottrade.
Armstrong indicated there would be no financial repercussions.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

cprice12 wrote:
Portland Blues wrote:From the AP article:

That'll learn him...
Uh... Panger said he was suspended 2 games.
Seems odd there are two different versions floating out there now. I read the AP story on TSN, but Pang obviously has an inside scoop.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Nyghtewynd wrote:Oh no...a two-game fine. So I guess we'll be out his .125 G/game. WHATEVER SHALL WE DO??!!??!?!!??!!?
.227 (10 in 44 games)

That's almost twice what you gave him credit for. Sometimes, I think you'd be pissed if the Blues did well cuz you couldn't complain anymore.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

Guppy
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Guppy »

He missed practice because he was trashed at OB Clarks, then went to the Pepper Lounge and drank even more. He was heard saying something about "only 6 games left, (Frank) it".

That is the story from my inside source. You are welcome.
Sponsor of TJ Oshie & his benders

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

Funny how much 'national' attention this story is getting.

PHT has had three articles about it. That's more attention then the Blues typically get there in a month.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

How often does this sort of thing actually happen? It can't be that uncommon... my guess is that it usually gets swept under the rug and the media doesn't hear anything.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

kodos wrote:How often does this sort of thing actually happen? It can't be that uncommon... my guess is that it usually gets swept under the rug and the media doesn't hear anything.
I'm guessing players get trashed from time to time...especially the younger guys, but rarely do they miss practice. They show up the next day and go through hell practice with a hangover. Guys who miss practice would be reported in the morning skate writeups by the media and whatnot.

Facing your teammates is worse than any 2-game suspension in my opinion. Cam implied the team is pissed at him...and rightfully so.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

kodos wrote:How often does this sort of thing actually happen? It can't be that uncommon... my guess is that it usually gets swept under the rug and the media doesn't hear anything.

That was my initial thought, but if the national media is reacting to it, I'm thinking it's not as commonplace as I first thought.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

cprice12 wrote:
I'm guessing players get trashed from time to time...especially the younger guys, but rarely do they miss practice. They show up the next day and go through hell practice with a hangover. Guys who miss practice would be reported in the morning skate writeups by the media and whatnot.

Facing your teammates is worse than any 2-game suspension in my opinion. Cam implied the team is pissed at him...and rightfully so.
Definitely. Oshie is going to feel damn awkward the first time he's allowed back out there with his teammates and I'm sure he's not going to be getting a warm reception. Fines are one thing but embarrassment works wonders. I like his method of punishment, definitely puts him out on a lone island for a little bit so he can feel like an idiot for a while before getting back at it.

And this is my general comments about drinking: Obviously it goes without saying that if you're an athlete, it's not good for you. Getting drunk just kills you. It's a cruel irony (and anyone who has been in peak physical shape at any point knows what I'm talking about) that you can work your ass off training for a triathlon, etc for months and months, have one big night of drinking and it feels like you lost 2 weeks worth of work. I'm not saying pros should never drink from time to time but its all moderation. Drinking is one of the easiest ways to destroy your stamina and IMO NOBODY in pro sports should be getting hammered during the season.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

cprice12 wrote: Facing your teammates is worse than any 2-game suspension in my opinion. Cam implied the team is pissed at him...and rightfully so.
That's because this isn't the first time he sh*t on his teammates (the drunk interview), he's actually one of the older guys on the team (older then Stewart, Bergie, Petro, Shattenkirk, Perron, Cole, McRae, and he's the same age as Stewart and N64.

Everyone keeps talking about 'growing up', getting better, etc....TJ is going to be 25 before the turn of the calender......maybe what you see is what you get. I don't know.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Guppy wrote:He... then went to the Pepper Lounge
Now we have undeniable proof he's an utter douchenozzle.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

TheoSqua
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by TheoSqua »

I bet hungover-and-missed-practice is a bit common. They just call in ahead of time and have the "flu" or something like that.

I believe the reason this is such an issue is he didn't contact the team. No call/no shows happen, that's life, but you still have to be responsible.
Official LGB Sponser of 10 year old signatures:

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

goon attack wrote:
Guppy wrote:He... then went to the Pepper Lounge
Now we have undeniable proof he's an utter douchenozzle.
As if you needed any more? :lol:

I didn't like what I saw in the video (posted earlier in this thread) incident when it happened, and this just further confirms my suspicions. Oshie has a booze problem. It may not be epic at this point, but it is clearly enough to impact his on-ice product.

I really think we should move him, and I have thought so for a while.

I don't think he has the internal make up to be a top line pro. He is a very good player, but I just don't see him doing the little things to maximize his career and his talents. He comes across as a guy that wants to be "good enough" rather than "the best."
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman