The Cardinals are as gutless as the Blues

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Leedog
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

The Cardinals are as gutless as the Blues

Post by Leedog »

Discuss.
Unofficial sponsor of Sarah Palin for PILF '12

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: The Cardinals are as gutless as the Blues

Post by cardsfan04 »

Reasons not to be upset with the Cards:

1. They are only 1/2 game back.

2. Out of 13 series so far this year, they are 8-3-2, and that includes counting the current series to the Reds as a loss.

3. They are getting great starting pitching from people not expected to carry the load.

4. The youth of their bullpen, for the most part, have been brilliant.

5. They lead (or at least did lead) the NL in over 50% of offensive team categories.

Oh, and they did this despite losing Wainright for the year, their opening day closer being terrible and Pujols having his worst 2-month stretch of his career.

Sure, last night sucked and I heard they looked bad today. That doesn't discount the body of work they have put together this year. I'll take winning 8 of 13 series all year long. I mean, they have some downspots (elderly in bullpen, Carp hasn't been an ace, Pujols numbers down, worst defense I ever remember) and are by no means a "great" team, but I don't understand any extreme negativity toward their performance thus far.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Gutless Gutless Gutless...
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

The Flake
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by The Flake »

Go Reds!!! :)
Remember,
Amateurs built the ark ....
Professionals built the Titanic

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

What the (Frank) is this, the Jeremy Roenick forums?

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

The Flake wrote:Go Reds!!! :)
(Frank) you. I live in Cincinnati now and I have to hear this shit from all of my friends now. I have only missed one Cardinals game since I moved here...today and last night SUCKED BALLS.

In all seriousness, Reds fans are a goddamned joke. When I moved here, NO ONE gave a damn about the Reds. Seriously, I could walk up on the day of the game and get a ticket anywhere in the park. When I wore Cardinals stuff around town, no one said a word. Now, they win a division once every 15 years and everyone has something to say. Everyone has a Reds t-shirt now, and most of them still have the tags on them....you guys are worse than most Blackhawks fans as far as bandwagoners go, and I know something about that, too.

Guppy
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Guppy »

People expected something to boil over from last year? Maybe if it was the same series, but not a different year or a different series. :facepalm:
Sponsor of TJ Oshie & his benders

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Ruutu15 wrote:
(Frank) you. I live in Cincinnati now and I have to hear this shit from all of my friends now. I have only missed one Cardinals game since I moved here...today and last night SUCKED BALLS.

In all seriousness, Reds fans are a goddamned joke. When I moved here, NO ONE gave a damn about the Reds. Seriously, I could walk up on the day of the game and get a ticket anywhere in the park. When I wore Cardinals stuff around town, no one said a word. Now, they win a division once every 15 years and everyone has something to say. Everyone has a Reds t-shirt now, and most of them still have the tags on them....you guys are worse than most Blackhawks fans as far as bandwagoners go, and I know something about that, too.
Couldn't have said it better, I know in the 70's they had the Big Red and they had fans, then they fell off the map until now. Just ignorant fans, don't know anything, acting like these games were the playoffs. They probably yelled as loud as they could during the National Anthem. Makes you respect the REAL fans.
TW Tiger Woods TW

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

lol, I feel dumb now. I thought you meant about them losing 2 in a row. Not seeing the game, I didn't make the connection that Cueto was pitching even though I knew he was the starter. He should have gotten one in the back, no doubt. Ideally, that happens in spring training in case the pitcher gets ejected for it, but Cueto was hurt. So, it should have happened last night.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Ruutu15 wrote:

During the Cardinals broadcast on FSMW yesterday, Jimmy "The Cat" Hayes interviewed Reds fans about the rivalry with the Cards-Reds. One Reds fans said, and I quote, "I think it's better than Yankees-Red Sox. Seroiusly."

Yeah, okay.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

dmiles2186 wrote:
Ruutu15 wrote:

During the Cardinals broadcast on FSMW yesterday, Jimmy "The Cat" Hayes interviewed Reds fans about the rivalry with the Cards-Reds. One Reds fans said, and I quote, "I think it's better than Yankees-Red Sox. Seroiusly."

Yeah, okay.
:plusplus:

I hate the Red Sox more each day. I live in west Texas, and you see about as many Red Sox hats as Rangers hats, and you didn't even see those around until last year. The Red Sox are the Yankees of people who hate the Yankees.

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

Ruutu15 wrote:

Yeah, Reds fans are assmunches. It's getting so bad that I would root for the Cubs before the Reds. Err, "Redlegs," as all the newfound idiot Reds fans call them :doh: :doh: :facepalm:
Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Red Sox/Yankees is probably the biggest rivalry in baseball. I can't honestly think of one bigger. Two high spending asshole franchises duking it out, annually, for 2nd place behind the low spending/overachieving Rays.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

glen a richter wrote:Red Sox/Yankees is probably the biggest rivalry in baseball. I can't honestly think of one bigger. Two high spending asshole franchises duking it out, annually, for 2nd place behind the low spending/overachieving Rays.
To the East coast and the heavily east coast biased media it is. Cubs Cardinals is a larger rivalry to most in the Midwest where none of them give a damn about the Yankees or the Red Sox.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

Leedog
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Leedog »

Say what you want about the Reds. They bitch slapped the pussy Cardinals all weekend. We take the high (puss) road Saturday. They throw at A. Pu-jol today. If they don't get some sack, they are done for. Just like the Blues for not pounding Thornton in the rematch. Embarrassing, really.
Unofficial sponsor of Sarah Palin for PILF '12

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

Leedog wrote:Say what you want about the Reds. They bitch slapped the pussy Cardinals all weekend. We take the high (puss) road Saturday. They throw at A. Pu-jol today. If they don't get some sack, they are done for. Just like the Blues for not pounding Thornton in the rematch. Embarrassing, really.
:plusplus:
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Leedog wrote:Say what you want about the Reds. They bitch slapped the pussy Cardinals all weekend. We take the high (puss) road Saturday. They throw at A. Pu-jol today. If they don't get some sack, they are done for. Just like the Blues for not pounding Thornton in the rematch. Embarrassing, really.
Good point....rules change the game, I don't like it. It used to be that a batter would be afraid of a hitter, its the opposite now. And it used to be if you throw a dirty hit, you got your ass beat. (Frank) Bettman...(Frank) rules.
TW Tiger Woods TW

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

glen a richter wrote:Red Sox/Yankees is probably the biggest rivalry in baseball. I can't honestly think of one bigger. Two high spending asshole franchises duking it out, annually, for 2nd place behind the low spending/overachieving Rays.
Even though I hate both the NYY and Red Sox, it's hard to argue that it's a good rivalry. The problem with it is that we're constantly reminded about how great of a rivalry it is. ESPN practically has an orgasm for the weeks leading up to the next BOS/NYY series. The rivalry is overexposed to the point that it's a joke now. Besides, they're American League teams, and we're talking about baseball here...AL doesn't count.

It all depends on where you're standing in the country. In the northeast, the media capital of the world, BOS/NYY is the biggest rivalry. Personally, I don't think anything matches the Cardinals and Cubs. Another great longstanding rivalry is the Giants and Dodgers, although that one gets a little too violent thanks to the gangbangers who have nothing better to do than start crap at baseball games since the Raiders left Los Angeles. Just like in hockey...the Hawks and Red Wings is the longest standing rivalry in the NHL (most games played against each other), but to someone in LA who has no tie to the central division, it would be the Kings and Ducks. To someone in NY, it might be the Islanders and Rangers.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

As much as I love my Birds and loath the Cubbies, the Yanks/Soxs rivalry is bigger nationally...for two reasons.

#1)Obviously media attention. Not only are they in much larger markets, but ESPN loves to cover that rivalry. And it's year round, they battle each other in the standings, on the field, at the trade deadline, and in free agency.

#2) Cubs ineptitude. If the Cubs were actually a contender a bit more, it would certainly help the rivalry. The Cubs playing the role of 'lovable loosers' and their fan base accepting that prevents this rivalry from getting real intense.

Birds, Soxs, and Yanks fan EXPECT to win every game - every year, most Cubs fans couldn't tell you were they are in the standings

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Let's put it this way - growing up for 28 years in St Louis - I never gave a crap ever about anything Yankees or Red Sox. I never cared if they played each other and didn't hear crap about them other than the Yankees had won the most World Series and the Red Sox were cursed. Then along comes baseball on ESPN and it is suddenly THE biggest rivalry. Throwing the BS flag, because it wasn't crap to me ever and still is not - it's just pimped as the biggest because that way the network makes more money off of it by pimping two of their largest media markets.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season