Jeff Carter Traded to BJ's, Mike Richards to LA

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Jeff Carter Traded to BJ's, Mike Richards to LA

Post by dmiles2186 »

Bob McKenzie first reported on Twitter. He's saying Voracek, a 1st, and a 3rd round pick for Carter.

A line with Carter and Nash could suck.

Now reports coming that Mike Richards being traded to LA for Simmonds and Schenn...not sure about draft picks.

Another edit...Richards deal done for Schenn and Simmonds.
Last edited by dmiles2186 on Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Jeff Carter Traded to Blue Jackets

Post by kodos »

What's wrong with Jeff Carter? I don't follow the East that closely. Is it his 11 year deal? For a 40 goal scorer it doesn't seem THAT out of line.

Voracek and a 1st rounder? We could have bested that trade. Anyone could. I'm surprised that the Flyers didn't get more.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Jeff Carter Traded to BJ's, Mike Richards to LA?

Post by dmiles2186 »

I think it's strictly salary cap issues. They just traded for Bryzgalov's rights. They've got Pronger's deal. Carter has always been the rumored name but this Richards stuff that just came out is crazy. In the same day?

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

Richards deal done now too.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Jeff Carter Traded to BJ's, Mike Richards to LA

Post by STLADOGG »

Damn...traded away the Captain and a great offensive player. Sounds like their making some room for Parise, Stamkos, B. Richards, etc.....
Surprising that's for sure.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

You've still got Giroux, Hartnell, Van Riemsdyk, Versteeg, Zherdev. Now you add Schenn, Simmonds and Voracek, you've still got solid offensive depth. Adding Bryzgalov to the mix (who they just signed for 9 (!!!) years) and to that defense, and it's still a good team.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

dmiles2186 wrote:I think it's strictly salary cap issues. They just traded for Bryzgalov's rights. They've got Pronger's deal. Carter has always been the rumored name but this Richards stuff that just came out is crazy. In the same day?
Definitely was.

With Bryzgalov's mega deal ($51 million over 9 years) they had to clear some space. They simply weighed what they wanted/needed more- starting goalie for a long time or Richards/Carter.

Granted, the Flyers got a LOT back for those two, but man... steeeeep cost and they guys they got are still, to be fair, prospects. I don't know. Crazy deal. May have hurt them more than it helped them.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

I think they won the LA deal. Simmonds is pretty good.

I love Bryzgalov. He's been one of my faves since he was with Anaheim. I don't know why any goalie would sign with Philadalphia, though. That team has ruined, and thrown more goalies under the bus than the other teams in the league combined. As soon as he has a weak stretch sometime in the next couple of years, he'll be backing someone up.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Ruutu15 wrote: . . . I don't know why any goalie would sign with Philadalphia . . .
I have 51 million reasons why :lol: :P

Was watching the TSN video with Pierre McGuire and co and I just forgot, Philly just signed Carter to that 11 year extension this year! It's just nuts. And like the commentators said, if I'm Richards or Carter I take this as a slap in the face. Philly is basically saying that "we don't need you anymore" when they thought (and rightly so) that they were going to be the foundation of that team for a very, very long time. Stunning trades.

As for the Blue Jackets: They're kind of like in the position we are: they're done f*cking around. It's win now. They've never had a compliment to Rick Nash or at the very least some dynamic talent to at LEAST take the heat off. Screw the 8th overall pick, they want to win next year.

L.A. is going to be a damn good team next season. God I hate the Western Conference... :wink:

Oz-iz-God
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Oz-iz-God »

I hate to be that guy, but the Carter trade is one we absolutely should've been able to best.

Every fanbase seems to scream when stuff like that happens, but the Blues desperately need an elite 1st line center and goal scorer, IMO. Carter would have been a perfect fit and his deal really isn't that bad, IMO. It's not like it's a lunatic Kovalchuck deal or anything. Carter is a guy that can get you 30 even strength goals per season; that's going to cost you some coin any way you look at it.

I still just don't get the impression that this team intends to get serious about actually winning anything anytime soon. If they stay in a perpetual 'rebuild', they'll be able to avoid legitimately high expectations. Next thing you know, David Backes is 30 and somehow we're still 'rebuilding'...

It's just a little frustrating, that's all.
[Aode] 10:34 pm: well, if I find cornhole anywhere, I'll try it and let you know

It could always be worse, I could be a Cubs fan. (But please, if you could spare me the parallels between the respective organizations, I'd really appreciate it).

the knob
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by the knob »

Oz-iz-God wrote:I hate to be that guy, but the Carter trade is one we absolutely should've been able to best.
Except the Blues don't have a (new) owner and Armstrong still doesn't have a budget for the upcoming year unless things have changed.

I do love Philly blowing themselves up every year, provides epic fodder for the Innertubes.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Oz-iz-God wrote:I hate to be that guy, but the Carter trade is one we absolutely should've been able to best.

Every fanbase seems to scream when stuff like that happens, but the Blues desperately need an elite 1st line center and goal scorer, IMO. Carter would have been a perfect fit and his deal really isn't that bad, IMO. It's not like it's a lunatic Kovalchuck deal or anything. Carter is a guy that can get you 30 even strength goals per season; that's going to cost you some coin any way you look at it.

I still just don't get the impression that this team intends to get serious about actually winning anything anytime soon. If they stay in a perpetual 'rebuild', they'll be able to avoid legitimately high expectations. Next thing you know, David Backes is 30 and somehow we're still 'rebuilding'...

It's just a little frustrating, that's all.
I'm witholding judgment until I see a full year of Chris Stewart and the defense being a little older. Granted, we ALWAYS seem to be saying "well let's see how this year goes" but there is a legitimately different tactic going on. Management saw we needed a big time goal scorer and EJ wasn't panning out (in their eyes or whatever it was) and went out and dealt for one. That's never happened in our 'rebuild' so far. So the tactics have changed, and Army & co. don't (to me) seem at all content to just sit there and wait for younger guys to get better as they have been. That was last year's gamble and it didn't work so we've already made one huge blockbuster trade to address it. I don't know that we need a second but that's debatable.

I guess my point is, with the EJ trade, the GM told all of us fans "we're not sitting on the same railroad track anymore" and I took that as a very encouraging sign, and a different one then what has been the strategy the last couple of seasons.

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

I don't really understand why everyone thinks Philadelphia got taken on the Carter deal. Voracek is no chump. He's pacing Carter almost to the number so far in his career. Columbus has never had much offense outside of Nash, and Philadelphia has had some pretty good players in that amount of time, so that makes Voracek's numbers look even more impressive.

I'm not saying that Philadelphia won the trade, but come on...it's nowhere near as much of a mismatch as people seem to think it is.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Buccigross just tweeted this:
Buccigross John Buccigross
Jeff Carter-Brendan Shanahan ll? #kylieiscallingfromconnecticut
Was Carter porking Richards' wife/girlfriend/lady friend/sex buddy?

SamJunior
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by SamJunior »

dmiles2186 wrote:Buccigross just tweeted this:
Buccigross John Buccigross
Jeff Carter-Brendan Shanahan ll? #kylieiscallingfromconnecticut
Was Carter porking Richards' wife/girlfriend/lady friend/sex buddy?
Not Richards' but almost everyone else's on the team (according to Flyers fans).