'Dramatic' Realignment in 2012-2013

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

'Dramatic' Realignment in 2012-2013

Post by dmiles2186 »

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=A ... ent_062511
ST. PAUL, Minn. – High above the stage at the 2011 NHL draft hung the flags of the league’s 30 franchises – the Western Conference in a row on top, the Eastern Conference in a row below, in alphabetical order, left to right.

The key to change hung in the lower right corner, a black flag with the NHL shield and the text “WINNIPEG 2011-12.” Now that the Atlanta Thrashers have moved and become the new Winnipeg Jets, they will play in the Southeast Division for one more season. After that, the NHL will realign dramatically. One NHL executive said Saturday that he could “guarantee” it.
More From Nicholas J. Cotsonika

Winnipeg fans rejoice at draft as 'Jets' rejoin NHL Jun 25, 2011
Top draft prospect Landeskog was made in Sweden Jun 24, 2011

AdChoices
Columbus GM Scott Howson says the Blue Jackets would be "in favor of anything that puts us in the East."
(Getty Images)

It’s about time.

“Now it’s not perfect in everybody’s eyes,” Nashville Predators general manager David Poile said. “I would think even in whatever realignment we do it may not be perfect. But I think it’s time for … It’s not maybe time, but it’s certainly an opportunity for a change.”

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said during the Stanley Cup Final that the league would discuss realignment during the first half of the 2011-12 season, and if he had to guess, it would move toward “a slightly more balanced schedule.”

Then Bettman made a proposal at Tuesday’s board of governors meeting, according to a report in the Ottawa Sun. Sources told the newspaper the league would have four divisions – the Pacific, Midwest, East and South. Two divisions would have eight teams; two would have seven. Teams would play a balanced schedule in the regular season, with the top four teams in each division making the playoffs. The first round would be divisional play. Then teams would reseed for conference play.

One NHL executive said Saturday the plan would have four divisions – two with eight teams, two with seven – as outlined in the Ottawa Sun report, but he was vague about whether there would even be Western and Eastern Conferences. He said the divisions would be based on time zones, a common-sense solution to TV and travel problems that some teams face and have been frankly unfair for years. He said the league’s board of governors would rule on the issue in December, though there remains a lot to talk about.

“I think the league would be happy to hear anybody’s opinion,” Poile said. “There’s nothing that’s been formulated. I haven’t seen any proposal. The league certainly hasn’t sent out anything, saying, ‘Would you like to do this or that?’ This is, I think, the start. So if you’ve got an idea, send it to me. Send it to the league. I think it will be looked at.”

With two conferences, six divisions and an unbalanced schedule, two teams in the Eastern time zone play in the Western Conference: the Detroit Red Wings and Columbus Blue Jackets. They must visit each team in the Pacific time zone twice each season, spending time, energy and money to make the trips, with a good portion of their road games starting at 10:30 p.m. for their local TV audience. They don’t play full home-and-home sets against each team in their own time zone.

The Wings have long wanted to move to the East, and Jackets GM Scott Howson said Saturday: “I’m in favor of anything that puts us in the East.”
Winnipeg's return to the NHL presents a perfect opportunity to put the league's 30 teams into more sensible groupings.
(Getty Images)

The situation isn’t much better for teams in the Central time zone. The Predators would like to move east, too. Then there are the Dallas Stars, who are isolated deep in the heart of Texas and play in the Pacific Division.

“I think it’s a good time to look at it,” Carolina Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford said. “It really doesn’t affect a lot of teams like ours, but Dallas has been in a little bit of an odd situation for a long time. Now, part of that is geography. You can’t change it. But I’m sure they’d like to get a little bit of a change.”

It simply makes sense to align the teams in terms of time zones and play a more balanced schedule. There would be less distance traveled and less jet lag for Western teams. There would be better TV times for more road games. Regional rivalries would still be able to develop, but every building would be able to host every team every season.

“Six divisions to four divisions, that could be good,” Poile said. “For every team in the Western Conference, if we talked about a more balanced schedule, I think we’d be all in for that. So I think it’s an opportunity to put all of our heads together. … Maybe we can at least help and appease everybody to a certain extent, and maybe it would be good for our fans also.”

Just remember that no matter what happens, not everyone will get what they want, and hockey tradition doesn’t always match up with geography.

“I’d like to play in a division with the weakest teams,” Rutherford said, smiling.

Teased that he played in the Southeast, Rutherford smiled even wider.

“Let me think now, the Stanley Cup champions – Tampa, Carolina …,” he said, referring to the 2004 and 2006 winners. “It’s always the weakest division. Where are you guys from? Where do you live?”

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: 'Dramatic' Realignment in 2012-2013

Post by Winning Unlimited »

All seven Canada teams should be in one division. (guaranteeing one of them makes round 2!)

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

I like that idea but it sounds like that would negate the whole 'let's match these teams up by time zone' idea they are going for.

Cavallinis
Prospect
Prospect

Post by Cavallinis »

Here's one guy's idea if six divisions are kept. Not sure I am in total agreement (regardless of recent history, do all three teams from the NYC area still need to be in the same division when there are so many other teams so geographically close? Mix it up a little...), but it provides food for thought. It would also send the Blues down Texas way more often so I would have more chances to see them within driving distance 8)

http://www.newsloops.net/articles/122/m ... he-new-nhl

If it goes to two divisions per conference, they should still send the top eight teams by points to the playoffs. Sure, the team schedules won't be the same (and this is a concern if one division is much stronger than the other in the conference), but maybe this talk of a more balanced schedule will help ease that problem somewhat. I'm not sure I like the idea of the top four teams in each division going to the playoffs, especially if one division per conference has eight teams and the other has seven. The fourth place team in the eight team division has to beat out four other teams, while the fourth place team in the seven team division only has to beat out three teams. Reminds me of MLB's NL Central vs. the AL West (eight vs. seven isn't quite as extreme as six teams vs. four teams, but it still doesn't smell right IMO). Also, there's always the general problem of having the fifth place team in one division being several points higher than the fourth place team in the other division.

The league could just get rid of two teams and fix the problem that way. I vote for Nashville (just for the mustard) and Columbus (just for the name and that stupid cannon mascot). :lol: :mrgreen:

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

I've always been in favor of reverting to 4 divisions. My favorite part is the return of divisional playoffs, though!

_Gassoff
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by _Gassoff »

I'll be sad if the homosexuals from Detroit are moved out of our division. At some point, we will be superior, and beat them into the ground. I want to see that.
_Gaﻛs●fƒ №3 -- גסוף --> webpages.charter.net/gassoff/
Subscribe to the SIGNAL 7 DEEP CUTS CLASSIC ROCK PODCAST at: http://signal7.podomatic.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or at the iTunes Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...ic/id580050123" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

New Central Division (Midwest Division)?

Chicago, Dallas, Detroit, Minnesota, Nashville, St. Louis, Winnipeg?
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

joosforjihad
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by joosforjihad »

philco_3 wrote:New Central Division (Midwest Division)?

This my friend, this.

Official sponsor of Andy McDonald's 401k

[joosforjihad] 8:05 pm: Will you spare my life when the robots take over?
[Dooger] 8:05 pm: I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

joosforjihad wrote:
philco_3 wrote:New Central Division (Midwest Division)?

This my friend, this.
Yeah this is very likable.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

Love it. And like I said before, the best part of this whole thing was the divisional playoffs. THAT is how you spark a good rivalry. The thing that I'd like to see them change (from the concept) is to revert back to the FULL divisional playoffs. Instead of re-seeding after the first round, why not have both of the first two rounds be divisional? When you're guaranteed to play a divisional opponent in the first two rounds, things get a little crazy. And then of course have a conference final with both divisional round winners, exactly as it was prior to 1994.

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

I honestly never understood why they reseeded each round...is it just because they want the upper seed to versus the lower seed? Sorry if a Number 1 and Number 2 seeds advance they should be forced to play each other in the next round. If they didnt want that to happen they should have the number 1 seed on the top half of the bracket and the number 2 seed on the bottom half of the bracket (sigh...like the NCAA Championship)((Frank)).

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Ruutu15 wrote:Love it. And like I said before, the best part of this whole thing was the divisional playoffs. THAT is how you spark a good rivalry. The thing that I'd like to see them change (from the concept) is to revert back to the FULL divisional playoffs. Instead of re-seeding after the first round, why not have both of the first two rounds be divisional? When you're guaranteed to play a divisional opponent in the first two rounds, things get a little crazy. And then of course have a conference final with both divisional round winners, exactly as it was prior to 1994.
I agree to a point.

See part of me likes how the game has created these "accidental" rivalries. For example, the Hawks and Canucks. Three straight years of playing each other in the playoffs, now it's heated. The Oilers and Stars in the early 2000's, they played against each other in the playoffs like 7 out of 8 seasons or something crazy like that. Those are rivalries that weren't force-fed but created and really unique in that sense.

But, the obvious reason those were rivalries were because they played each other in the playoffs so much and there's something to be said for the NHL structuring it to encourage those types of rivalries.

I just feel like having that kind of structure (divisional rounds then only going outside that for the conference finals) basically assures that any given NHL will have one or two and ONLY one or two good rivalries, and that's it. Granted, they will be passionate and awesome rivalries, but by propping up those one or two, you're eliminating most odds of anything like we've seen in today's game (e.g. Hawks v. Canucks/ Oilers and Stars).

I like how they do it right now: play your divisional opponents more frequently during the regular season to ENCOURAGE the rivalries but dont force-feed it and all bets are off when playoff time rolls around.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

Pacific Division (8 teams)- Anaheim, Calgary, Colorado, Edmonton, LA, Phoenix, San Jose, Vancouver

Mid-West Division (7 Teams) - Chicago, Dallas, Detroit, Minnesota, Nashville, St. Louis, Winnipeg

Southeast Division (8 Teams) - Carolina, Columbus, Florida, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, Washington

Northeast Division (7 Teams) - Boston, Buffalo, Montreal, New York Islanders, New York Rangers, Ottawa, Toronto

I figure if Detroit goes to the East they would into the Northeast, and then Columbus would come to the West into the Mid-West.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

philco_3 wrote:Pacific Division (8 teams)- Anaheim, Calgary, Colorado, Edmonton, LA, Phoenix, San Jose, Vancouver

Mid-West Division (7 Teams) - Chicago, Dallas, Detroit, Minnesota, Nashville, St. Louis, Winnipeg

Southeast Division (8 Teams) - Carolina, Columbus, Florida, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, Washington

Northeast Division (7 Teams) - Boston, Buffalo, Montreal, New York Islanders, New York Rangers, Ottawa, Toronto

I figure if Detroit goes to the East they would into the Northeast, and then Columbus would come to the West into the Mid-West.
I drewz a map

Clicky!
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

The East is going to be the bitch cause you can go any way with it and people are still gonna argue about where the line should be drawn.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

I like that setup, but isn't it a given that Detroit weasels their way into the East? It sounds like they want to be in the East big time. What Detroit wants, Detroit gets, no?

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

dmiles2186 wrote:I like that setup, but isn't it a given that Detroit weasels their way into the East? It sounds like they want to be in the East big time. What Detroit wants, Detroit gets, no?
I wonder what the fans want...do they even think the Blues-Wings Rivalry is a rivalry?
If so they won't want to move.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

STLADOGG wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:I like that setup, but isn't it a given that Detroit weasels their way into the East? It sounds like they want to be in the East big time. What Detroit wants, Detroit gets, no?
I wonder what the fans want...do they even think the Blues-Wings Rivalry is a rivalry?
I was reading comments on Puck Daddy's blog and the majority of the sentiment is that the Red Wings are tired of playing Western Conference teams and having some starts times as late as 10:30 local time (which is understandable) when they play out West. Detroit has been around longer, they've been in the West longer, and they are more of a 'get' than Columbus in terms of stature.

If the NHL gets crazy, they could make a 16 team Eastern Conference with both Detroit and Columbus and leaving 14 in the West with two 7 team divisions (moving Colorado to the Midwest).

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

dmiles2186 wrote:
STLADOGG wrote:
I was reading comments on Puck Daddy's blog and the majority of the sentiment is that the Red Wings are tired of playing Western Conference teams and having some starts times as late as 10:30 local time (which is understandable) when they play out West. Detroit has been around longer, they've been in the West longer, and they are more of a 'get' than Columbus in terms of stature.

If the NHL gets crazy, they could make a 16 team Eastern Conference with both Detroit and Columbus and leaving 14 in the West with two 7 team divisions (moving Colorado to the Midwest).
I could go for that. It would be just like MLB with the NL having more teams than the AL.

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

I guess I can't speak for everyone out there, but I lived in Michigan for a long time. Not speaking for the team, but I can tell you that most Red Wings fans identify with the Western conference teams a lot more. The rivalry with the Hawks and Blues means a lot to all of the old-time fans up there.