Simmonds

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Simmonds

Post by cardsfan04 »

I find shit like this appalling. WTF is wrong with people. At a home game nonetheless (not that it's any less racist on the road).

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/70072 ... e-simmonds
LONDON, Ontario -- Philadelphia Flyers winger Wayne Simmonds, who is black, had a banana thrown at him from the stands Thursday night during a 4-3 exhibition shootout loss to the Detroit Red Wings.

As Simmonds took the first shot in the shootout, a banana came flying into his path as he skated in on Detroit goalie Jordan Pearce.

"I don't know if it had anything to do with the fact I'm black," Simmonds, a 23-year-old Toronto native, said Thursday. "I certainly hope not. When you're black, you kind of expect (racist) things. You learn to deal with it."

I guess it's something I obviously have to deal with -- being a black player playing a predominantly white sport. I've grown a lot playing in this league and throughout my whole life. I'm not going to dwell on that. It's over with now.

-- Flyers' Wayne Simmonds
NHL commissioner Gary Bettman condemned the act. In a statement from New York on Friday, he said, "We have millions of great fans who show tremendous respect for our players and for the game. The obviously stupid and ignorant action by one individual is in no way representative of our fans or the people of London, Ontario."

Simmonds acknowledged the banana rattled him, and his only thought was to get off a shot -- which went in for the Flyers' only score in the shootout.

He also had scored with less than a minute left in the third period to tie the game at 3.

"It shocked me and (I) knew I had to keep going and get a shot off," he said. "It was certainly unusual."

Simmonds said Friday that he wants to concentrate strictly on the game.

"It was unfortunate that this incident happened but I am above this sort of stuff," he said. "This is something that is obviously out of my control. Moving forward, this incident is something that I will no longer comment on so I can just focus playing hockey for the Philadelphia Flyers."

Simmonds made the trip with the Flyers to Detroit, but sat out Philadelphia's 3-1 win over the Red Wings on Friday night, as both teams tried to use players who hadn't been in the lineup the previous day. Simmonds was in press row toward the end of the game, and although he declined further comment, he did send a few autograph-seeking fans home happy.

"I'm black, and I'm a real big hockey fan," said 29-year-old Latoya Pugh, who was at the game with her kids. "It's a sport you want to get more Americans into."

Pugh and her kids approached Simmonds for an autograph during the third period. She was well aware of what happened the previous night.

"It's hard when you're black and you love the game," Pugh said. "You want to support the people, support the players, the teams, but you have people like that, who are ignorant."

The incident triggered reaction ranging from disgust to disappointment.

On his Twitter account, former NHL goaltender and current CBC commentator Kevin Weekes, who is black, posted, "For those that asked: I'm extremely disappointed with what happened to Wayne Simmonds tonight in London Ont. We've taken HUGE steps to grow the game of hockey,as I speak Willie O'Ree and I are in D.C attending the Black Congressional Caucus on behalf of the NHL & ironically this takes place."

"I'm not surprised," said Weekes, who had a banana thrown at him during the 2002 Stanley Cup playoffs in Montreal when he played for Carolina. "We have some people that still have their heads in the sand and some people that don't necessarily want to evolve and aren't necessarily all that comfortable with the fact that the game is evolving."

Wayne Simmonds is a good friend of mine. To hear what happened tonight to him in my hometown is awful. No need for this in sports, or life.

-- Post on Logan Couture's Twitter page
Maxime Talbot, one of Simmonds' Flyers teammates, called the incident "sad" and "embarrassing," but cautioned against labeling the entire crowd based on one person's actions.

"We all know it's an isolated incident. It's one person that obviously wanted attention or I don't know what ... I think we're all united here," Talbot said.

"It's not like there's a problem with racism in our league. It's one person in the crowd of 6,000 ... you can't take that as general 'People in London are racist,' " Talbot said. "That's not how you should look at it. It's one person."

The Flyers' Scott Hartnell says he's hopeful what happened to Simmonds was an isolated incident.

"You never want to see those kinds of actions," Hartnell said. "He took it in stride. We hopefully won't ever see that again. Simmer's a character guy, and he just laughed it off."

"For him, he's not too worried about it," added Brayden Schenn, another Flyers teammate. "For us, we're supporting him. It's just shocking that something like that would happen."

London Mayor Joe Fontana apologized to Simmonds and the Flyers on Friday on behalf of his city.

"It was a stupid and mindless act by a single individual," he said in a statement. "However, it reflects badly on our entire community. London is a diverse and welcoming city and we like it that way."

Eustace King of 02 Sports Agency, who represents Simmonds, told The Canadian Press he believes the NHL should draft a code of conduct for fans that could be printed on the back of tickets.

"The game doesn't necessarily have very many racial problems -- I don't want to say there are none, but it's very limited," he said. "But I think the challenges become with people in society, there's a great problem that's out there that is still being addressed. Just because we're playing sports doesn't mean it's going to change."

King, who is black, once played NCAA hockey. He also represents black players Chris Stewart and Anthony Stewart. King said this is a distraction Simmonds doesn't need right now.

"He's in the middle of training camp, he was traded to a new team and all he's trying to do is showcase his ability for his new management," King said. "This is just another thing that I will say other players don't necessarily have to think about. When Wayne goes on the ice, he's got this in the back of his head, that he's got to go out and perform but he's going to be questioned about something that has nothing to do with him."

Logan Couture, a forward for the San Jose Sharks, grew up near London. "Wayne Simmonds is a good friend of mine. To hear what happened tonight to him in my hometown is awful. No need for this in sports, or life," Couture posted on Twitter.

The rare NHL game at the 9,090-capacity John Labatt Centre drew a crowd of 7,427. The arena is operated by Global Spectrum, a subsidiary of the Flyers' parent company Comcast-Spectacor.

"Unfortunately, we weren't able to identify the individual," said Peter Luukko, president and chief operating officer of Comcast-Spectacor.

"We certainly don't condone such a foolish act (like this) as a player could potentially be seriously injured," he said in a statement. "This is the ninth time we have played here in London and the fans have always been wonderful to us."

Norton Sports, a California sports management group that does not manage Simmonds, offered a $500 reward for the identity of the banana thrower. The Twitter offer quickly drew others promising to add to the reward. As of Friday morning, Simmonds was a trending topic on the social network.

Information from ESPN NHL Insider Craig Custance and The Associated Press was used in this report.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Simmonds

Post by dmiles2186 »

I read that earlier today. I don't have much else to say other than that is just friggin' awful.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Find out who the guy is...post his picture all over the internet and ruin his life.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

"I not falling for the old banana in the tail pipe gag."
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

philco_3 wrote:"I not falling for the old banana in the tail pipe gag."
:lol:

P.S. This was a terrible example of douchebaggery by whoever threw the banana...

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Some guy thought he was being hilarious...but he really just displayed what an idiot he is. Some people just can't accept the fact this country isn't in the 1950's anymore and they look stupid.

It's like the high school bully who you run in to 25 years later and he's still the exact same asshole he was back then but now he's just a sad and pathetic loser.

I heard there is like a $1000 reward sitting out there to anyone who outs this guy.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

That's a good analogy.

Somebody last night said that he was probably some drunk idiot trying to be funny (which may be true). BUT, he brought the banana to the game, obviously planning it in advance. Everybody is a drunken idiot occasionally. But, planning this advance, failing to see it as a bad idea at several stages, makes it so much worse.

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

cardsfan04 wrote:That's a good analogy.

Somebody last night said that he was probably some drunk idiot trying to be funny (which may be true). BUT, he brought the banana to the game, obviously planning it in advance. Everybody is a drunken idiot occasionally. But, planning this advance, failing to see it as a bad idea at several stages, makes it so much worse.
Agreed. And Wayne Simmonds was a great guy when I met him in Columbus after a Kings practice last season (not that it matters).

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

cprice12 wrote:Some guy thought he was being hilarious...but he really just displayed what an idiot he is. Some people just can't accept the fact this country isn't in the 1950's anymore and they look stupid.

It's like the high school bully who you run in to 25 years later and he's still the exact same asshole he was back then but now he's just a sad and pathetic loser.

I heard there is like a $1000 reward sitting out there to anyone who outs this guy.
Except this happened in Canada.. not the US, where it may very well still be the 1950s..
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

cprice12 wrote:Some guy thought he was being hilarious...but he really just displayed what an idiot he is. Some people just can't accept the fact this country isn't in the 1950's anymore and they look stupid.
I couldn't disagree more. This is just some jerk trying to f*** with the player in the most extreme way possible and get a reaction out of people... he wants people to pour outrage into the blogosphere. This thread is a perfect example. Why give the douche what he wants?
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

evil roy
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by evil roy »

I don't get it. So someone threw a banana on the ice. How exactly is that racist? (Your answer will depend on your definition of racism--if you believe that racism is the act of taking notice of another person's ethnicity when they don't want you to and failing to take notice when they do want you to, then it was probably racist. If, like me, you define "racism" as the belief that one race is genetically superior or inferior to another, then probably not.)

That said, the guy probably was trying to draw a parallel between black people and monkeys--then again, maybe a banana was all he had to throw. What I find infinitely more distressing than what thoughts were or weren't running through the head of some random human I'll never meet as he weighed heckling options at a preseason hockey game is the speed with which he was convicted on this board of crass racism and the vitriol and fevered hate ("appalling", "awful", "douchebag", "ruin his life") directed his way all because here from 1000 mi. away we have managed to deduce the sum total of the contents of some complete stranger's soul based entirely on his choice of hurled fruit.

Dehumanizing someone because we don't find them sufficiently sensitive is not much less tyrannical than actual racism is.

And I'm not even going to discuss the towering irony of this thread occupying the same forum as the running A. Nigro thread :roll:
Official 2018-19 LGB Sponsor of Patrick Maroon
Official 2017-18 LGB Sponsor of Robby Fabbri's ACL
Official 2016-17 LGB Sponsor of Paul Stastny
Official 2015-16 LGB sponsor of Alexander (There is no "I" in) Steen

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

evil roy wrote:I don't get it. So someone threw a banana on the ice. How exactly is that racist? (Your answer will depend on your definition of racism--if you believe that racism is the act of taking notice of another person's ethnicity when they don't want you to and failing to take notice when they do want you to, then it was probably racist. If, like me, you define "racism" as the belief that one race is genetically superior or inferior to another, then probably not.)

That said, the guy probably was trying to draw a parallel between black people and monkeys--then again, maybe a banana was all he had to throw. What I find infinitely more distressing than what thoughts were or weren't running through the head of some random human I'll never meet as he weighed heckling options at a preseason hockey game is the speed with which he was convicted on this board of crass racism and the vitriol and fevered hate ("appalling", "awful", "douchebag", "ruin his life") directed his way all because here from 1000 mi. away we have managed to deduce the sum total of the contents of some complete stranger's soul based entirely on his choice of hurled fruit.

Dehumanizing someone because we don't find them sufficiently sensitive is not much less tyrannical than actual racism is.

And I'm not even going to discuss the towering irony of this thread occupying the same forum as the running A. Nigro thread :roll:
Seriously, you're leveling, right?

Calling a black person a monkey is clearly racist. If we can't agree on that, stop reading my post because we're just not going to agree.

So, the issue is whether throwing a banana at a black hockey player in a predominantly white sport is akin to calling him a monkey. To me, it clearly is. Any other interpretation is both naive and lacking of common sense. If he did not intend this as a racist gesture, he would have to be completely oblivious to all racial undertones that it has. And, I find that incredibly hard to believe; so hard to believe, in fact, that the possibility of that being the case does not seem plausible to me. To me, there is no ambiguity in his actions. And to argue that there is comes off as being an apologist simply for the sake of playing devil's advocate.

And, since when is calling somebody's actions appalling the same as dehumanizing him? An act of racism dehumanizes him. I'm not comparing him to something inhuman. I'm just saying his actions are consistent with what a bad person would do, not a "non-person." Criticizing somebody and dehumanizing them are not the same thing. And, I don't need to be in the same room as somebody to criticize them for being a racist. He could be a great person in every other facet. That doesn't mean he's above criticism for an overt act of racism.

As for the A. Nigro comparison, I don't believe I have personally participated in that thread, but won't swear to it. Regardless, those aren't parallel situations. Could the A. Nigro thread be in poor taste? Sure. I probably agree to a point. But, it lacks the undercurrent of hatred that the banana incident has. The A. Nigro stuff is meant good-humoredly. The banana thing was not.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

See, that's the problem right there: he didn't call him a monkey. He merely threw a banana out there so everyone would bleat "OMG you're equating him with a monkey!", which is exactly what happened.

Tell me, when you call someone a "bitch" or a "whore" in a fit of anger, are you actually saying that you believe in your heart that the person is a female dog or a prostitute? No; you're saying whatever you can to insult that person and piss them off.

This guy most likely did what he did for the exact reasons stated above.

Racism is silly. The history of racism if disgusting. However, that should not prevent us from clear thinking on this sort of thing. Was it lame? Of course? Could this guy be a racist in his heart? Sure.

Is it rude, insensitive, and racial? Of course. Is every instance of racial joking "racist?" I say no.

Should the guy have his life ruined over it? That's freaking asinine. The guy was probably some drunk douche who wanted to get a rise out of the hockey world. Mission accomplished. :facepalm:
Last edited by goon attack on Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

cardsfan04 wrote:But, it lacks the undercurrent of hatred that the banana incident has. The A. Nigro stuff is meant good-humoredly. The banana thing was not.
You can't know how the guy meant it. He may have thought he was being funny. Maybe the guy is mentally retarded. Shit, maybe the guy is black himself and just doesn't like the opposing team. Think of all the crazy shit we say about opposing teams and players, about them being pussies, gay, drunks, etc...

I honestly don't think you can make these statements with any certainly, especially in the context of competitive sports.

And perhaps the A. Nigro stuff is meant in a racial way by certain people. You don't know that it isn't.

Every utterance of a racial slur or even a banana being thrown at a black person is not "racist" because there are plenty of variables... to say that every instance is racist, then you'd have to say that two black guys horsing around throwing bananas at each other is "racist"... it's just not logical.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

goon attack wrote:See, that's the problem right there: he didn't call him a monkey. He merely threw a banana out there so everyone would bleat "OMG you're equating him with a monkey!", which is exactly what happened.

Tell me, when you call someone a "bitch" or a "whore" in a fit of anger, are you actually saying that you believe in your heart that the person is a female dog or a prostitute? No.

This guy most likely did what he did for the exact reasons stated above.

Racism is silly. The history of racism if disgusting. However, that should not prevent us from clear thinking on this sort of thing. Was it lame? Of course? Could this guy be a racist in his heart? Sure.

Is it rude, insensitive, and racial? Of course. Is every instance of racial joking "racist?" I say no.

Should the guy have his life ruined over it? That's freaking asinine. The guy was probably some drunk douche who wanted to get a rise out of the hockey world. Mission accomplished. :facepalm:
I agree with the majority of your post, especially the part about his life being ruined over it. It was incredibly insensitive, but won't cause longterm damage to anybody. So, suggesting his life be ruined over it, is over the top.

And I completely agree that not all racial joking is actually racist.

However, I don't see a big difference between an actual racist action and an action w/ racist undertones with the intention of getting a rise out of people. Maybe the latter suggest the person committing the action isn't as bad as the former. But, the action itself is equally inappropriate IMO.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

goon attack wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:But, it lacks the undercurrent of hatred that the banana incident has. The A. Nigro stuff is meant good-humoredly. The banana thing was not.
You can't know how the guy meant it. He may have thought he was being funny. Maybe the guy is mentally retarded. Shit, maybe the guy is black himself and just doesn't like the opposing team. Think of all the crazy shit we say about opposing teams and players, about them being pussies, gay, drunks, etc...

I honestly don't think you can make these statements with any certainly, especially in the context of competitive sports.

And perhaps the A. Nigro stuff is meant in a racial way by certain people. You don't know that it isn't.

Every utterance of a racial slur or even a banana being thrown at a black person is not "racist" because there are plenty of variables... to say that every instance is racist, then you'd have to say that two black guys horsing around throwing bananas at each other is "racist"... it's just not logical.
You're right. I can't know for certain how he meant it. But, I can use common sense to call him an idiot. The action reeks of racism whether the intent was racist or not. Either he's an idiot for being a racist or an idiot for not knowing that's how it would be perceived.

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

My question is, if you had a banana to throw at him, why in the hell would you wait to throw it at him in a SO. What granutees that they would even make it to a SO?
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

cardsfan04 wrote:However, I don't see a big difference between an actual racist action and an action w/ racist undertones with the intention of getting a rise out of people. Maybe the latter suggest the person committing the action isn't as bad as the former. But, the action itself is equally inappropriate IMO.
I understand the point you are making, and I agree it is totally inappropriate. This clown should have his ass kicked, but his life shouldn't be ruined. If he's truly an asshole, people in his personal life will find that out soon enough.

To address your point: I can see where to the person the action is directed at the intent does not necessarily matter. I'll definitely concede that point. I'd be more apt to call this guy a 'franking asshole' by default and not be so quick to brand him a 'racist' unless I knew more about the particulars. I'm not saying you did that, but I know many people do.

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

I agree that people can be overly sensitive, but come on. First, he brought a banana to a game. He threw it at Wayne Simmonds. I think it's pretty obvious what his intentions were, so lets not apologize for him.

And seriously? "His choice of fruit"? You're smarter than that, Goon.

I do agree that his life shouldn't be ruined for it, but we all know why he did what he did. People throw bananas at black athletes in European soccer stadiums, and they threw them at Patrick Ewing when he was playing at Georgetown. It's one of the oldest racial insults in the world, and some of you are seriously considering that wasn't his motivation? I don't need to get inside his head to conclude that what he did was racially motivated.

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

Maybe he had a potassium deficiency. Did you know that Kazakhstan has superior potassium? Image

Official Sponsor of "The Barn"
2013-2014 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2010-2011 Official Sponsor of Brad Winchester
2009-2010 Official Sponsor of Paul Kariya