Blues Fire Davis Payne...Hire Ken Hitchcock

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Blues Fire Davis Payne...Hire Ken Hitchcock

Post by JPonder94 »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:When I watched the game last night, the team clearly had a game plan, executed it, and won the game.
The game plan was the same game plan that they had when they beat the Canucks last Friday night. I thought it was the same team and same strategies that night, except Chris Stewart and Barret Jackman were actually noticeable.

Hitch only had 1 1/2 practices with this squad. If you think they looked different last night, wait until about 2 weeks from now.
2009-10 LGB Sponsor of Davis "Major" Payne
2010-11 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2011-12 LGB Sponsor of NHL All-Star Brian Elliott
2012-13 LGB Sponsor of Jaroslav Halak

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

ProngerBlues44 wrote:
not_a_wings_fan wrote:When I watched the game last night, the team clearly had a game plan, executed it, and won the game.
The game plan was the same game plan that they had when they beat the Canucks last Friday night. I thought it was the same team and same strategies that night, except Chris Stewart and Barret Jackman were actually noticeable.

Hitch only had 1 1/2 practices with this squad. If you think they looked different last night, wait until about 2 weeks from now.
They didn't look any different in the first period. Dump and chase and bad angle shots. Second period you could tell adjustments had been made and the scoring oppurtunities started showing up. We have to give him time to teach his system. I don't think it will take them long.

Official Sponsor of "The Barn"
2013-2014 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2010-2011 Official Sponsor of Brad Winchester
2009-2010 Official Sponsor of Paul Kariya

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

thedoc wrote:
ProngerBlues44 wrote:

They didn't look any different in the first period. Dump and chase and bad angle shots. Second period you could tell adjustments had been made and the scoring oppurtunities started showing up. We have to give him time to teach his system. I don't think it will take them long.
And the second period is where I started watching the game.

And ya, I expect them to be much different two weeks from now.

This team is more than talented enough to play with the elite teams in the West. If Hitch could make Brett Hull into a complete hockey player, Oshie, Bergie, etc shouldn't be a big problem - and Hull is what you point to "This guy had 80 goals and never won jack, when he played my way he lifted the cup."
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

Leedog
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Leedog »

Is the new coach hung like A. Nigro?
Unofficial sponsor of Sarah Palin for PILF '12

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Commenting on the front page article about not firing the assistants.

Don't be surprised if Hitchcock and Armstrong are already looking for new assistants. The changes have to start somewhere and wholesale changes mid-season does not put the new head coach in the best position. Let him gather as much info as he can from the assistants, find out what the team has and what it needs, and then let go of the assistants if they aren't getting the job done.

It was interesting seeing Berglund and Stewart on the PK, which the PK coach likely had nothing to do with. That was Hitchcock saying get your butt out there, which could be an indication of a future change in the assistants.

This is all speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised to see new assistant coaches before this season ends.

As to Hirsch, he has only been here one year. His number one goalie was close friends to several players who died right before the season started. And that #1 goalie seems to be turning it around in recent games. Never mind Elliot playing good hockey. Does Hirsch prepare the backup goalie also?? Hirsch deserves a little time before canning him - at least as much time as they gave Payne.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

SteveO
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by SteveO »

Could you imagine where we'd be had Mason been willing to take 500k less??

:lol:

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Prngr44 wrote:Could you imagine where we'd be had Mason been willing to take 500k less??

:lol:
:cup: ?? lol
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

xbleed83bluex
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by xbleed83bluex »

Why do the head coaches always get fired but the assistant coaches get to stay or either get moved up to the head spot. What should have happened was fire one of the assistant coaches (the bald one) and keep Payne on as the assistant coach with Hitchcock as the head.

Instead of firing Payne, why not just demote him to assistant spot. He's a good coach and with him and Hitch running the team, you can't complain.
Official 2011-'12 sponsor of the hot chick from the FSMW Blues commercials.

richtedm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by richtedm »

xbleed83bluex wrote:Why do the head coaches always get fired but the assistant coaches get to stay or either get moved up to the head spot. What should have happened was fire one of the assistant coaches (the bald one) and keep Payne on as the assistant coach with Hitchcock as the head.

Instead of firing Payne, why not just demote him to assistant spot. He's a good coach and with him and Hitch running the team, you can't complain.
Because having the former coach who just got fired on the staff might (understatement) be an awkward distraction for both the new coach and the players.

It might work in a video game where there are no thoughts, attitudes, or real people.
Official All-Time Co-Sponsor of Cam Janssen

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

richtedm wrote:
xbleed83bluex wrote:Why do the head coaches always get fired but the assistant coaches get to stay or either get moved up to the head spot. What should have happened was fire one of the assistant coaches (the bald one) and keep Payne on as the assistant coach with Hitchcock as the head.

Because having the former coach who just got fired on the staff might (understatement) be an awkward distraction for both the new coach and the players.

It might work in a video game where there are no thoughts, attitudes, or real people.
It doesn't work in video games either. I did it in NHL12 and half of my team checked themselves into a psychiatric hospital.

True story.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

theohall wrote:Commenting on the front page article about not firing the assistants.

Don't be surprised if Hitchcock and Armstrong are already looking for new assistants. The changes have to start somewhere and wholesale changes mid-season does not put the new head coach in the best position. Let him gather as much info as he can from the assistants, find out what the team has and what it needs, and then let go of the assistants if they aren't getting the job done.

It was interesting seeing Berglund and Stewart on the PK, which the PK coach likely had nothing to do with. That was Hitchcock saying get your butt out there, which could be an indication of a future change in the assistants.

This is all speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised to see new assistant coaches before this season ends.

As to Hirsch, he has only been here one year. His number one goalie was close friends to several players who died right before the season started. And that #1 goalie seems to be turning it around in recent games. Never mind Elliot playing good hockey. Does Hirsch prepare the backup goalie also?? Hirsch deserves a little time before canning him - at least as much time as they gave Payne.
Halak has had a year and change under Hirsch and can't win zip.

Elliott has been here for 7 games and he's 6-1 and the team plays to calibre with him in goal.

Where's the problem? It should be obvious.

EDIT: In case some of you can't read between the lines (Which means I suck in writing these), I mean to say FIRE HIRSCH. Thanks.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Oaklandblue wrote:
theohall wrote:Commenting on the front page article about not firing the assistants.

Halak has had a year and change under Hirsch and can't win zip.

Elliott has been here for 7 games and he's 6-1 and the team plays to calibre with him in goal.

Where's the problem? It should be obvious.

EDIT: In case some of you can't read between the lines (Which means I suck in writing these), I mean to say FIRE HIRSCH. Thanks.
But, but, but.... Halak was only average for Montreal in the regular season outside of one stretch right before he made that playoff run, and Hirsch wasn't coaching him there.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

richtedm wrote:

Exactly. Demoting a head coach to assistant coach would create too big of a distraction that any positives he brings as an assistant would be overshadowed. It's also not very fair to the new coach.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

The current break is the first time the Blues have had a "5-day" break since Hitchcock took over.

If we see a change in the power play, I would expect to see it vs the Rangers - assuming the Blues get more than 2 or 3 opportunities with the way refs have been this season.

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

theohall wrote:The current break is the first time the Blues have had a "5-day" break since Hitchcock took over.

If we see a change in the power play, I would expect to see it vs the Rangers - assuming the Blues get more than 2 or 3 opportunities with the way refs have been this season.
That's right, the Blues are playing the Rangers...that means the Blues will be on 24/7!! Sweet.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

This hasn't really been mentioned anywhere, but apparently Davis Payne is now a scout for the Blues.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

kodos wrote:This hasn't really been mentioned anywhere, but apparently Davis Payne is now a scout for the Blues.
I'm assuming professional scout? Wouldn't make much sense with his background of the NHL to put him in the amateur scouting program though I'm not necessarily opposed to that either.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

Yes, he's a pro scout.

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

Re: GDT #27: 12/6/11 > Blues vs Wings > 6:30PM > VS/KMOX
sseagle wrote:
Game notes
Hudler also had an assist. ... Payne, fired after a 6-7 start and now a scout for the franchise, was in the press box for the first time. ... Red Wings C Valtteri Filppula, third on the team with 21 points, was scratched two days after suffering a cut above one of his skates. ... Howard limited the opposition to one goal three times during his winning streak.
Did I miss something?

Hmm... I'm pretty sure I put that up..
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

Have you guys heard that Davis Payne is now a scout for the Blues?