Lucic hit

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Lucic hit

Post by cardsfan04 »

Apparently this has caused some controversy because he wasn't suspended. I could go either way on it. Clearly didn't try to get out of the way, but he didn't seem lay a major hit on him either. Thoughts?

[youtube][/youtube]
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Lucic hit

Post by abc789987 »

It's happening already...

Shanny seems to be getting inconsistent with his suspensions.. He suspended Bouchard two games last week for a reckless slash when there was no intent to injure. I don't see any intent to injure on Lucic's hit, but it was reckless.

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

He didn't try to get out of the way... but he did hold up on the hit in a big way... it's a real dooshbag move... but this isn't suspension worthy.

It's a 2 minute penalty. And an ass-whooping.

Also, people are saying it's worthy of a suspension because Miller got a concussion, but apparently he got his concussion later in the game. He didn't even get a hit to the head on the play in question.

Would have been interesting to see what would have happened if his giant (intentional) swipe of the stick had connected. That could have easily broken a leg.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Miller's hair sure looks purty. Is he gay? Serious question. He's hot.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

goon attack wrote:Miller's hair sure looks purty. Is he gay? Serious question. He's hot.
I'm pretty sure he has a girlfriend(and by girlfriend I mean its a guy).
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

He saw an opportunity and tried to hurt a netminder. What aren't you people seeing?
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

Oaklandblue wrote:He saw an opportunity and tried to hurt a netminder. What aren't you people seeing?
I saw the same thing, it looked like a head shot to me.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

Miller came charging out and beat Lucic to the puck. What's Lucic supposed to do, teleport past Miller?

That's the price you pay if you come wandering out of the crease to challenge a forward. None of us seemed too upset when Janssen creamed Carey Price in Montreal.
Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

On the real-time first time watch it looks like he drops his shoulder for a hit but if you watch the slow-motion he just kind of tenses up and then puts his arms up after colliding with Miller.

I could go either way on it as well. If he made a demonstrable effort to get out of the way or at least slam on the brakes it wouldn't have been a big deal. I think you try to dead-stop in a situation like that, there was no reason to continue on. Or at least try to veer out of the way :roll:

But I don't think it was intent to injure
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

I'm with Ohio on this one. (Frank) Miller. That wasn't much of a hit. If you can't take that, get your pink panty wearing ass out of the league.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

goon attack wrote:I'm with Ohio on this one. (Frank) Miller. That wasn't much of a hit. If you can't take that, get your pink panty wearing ass out of the league.
To take a hit, I agree. To get hit, I agree. To get a concussion, I don't. Lucic knew where he was going and was going there fast and alone. He could have moved around or turned away from Miller. It was obvious Miller had cleared the pucked before he reached him. Instead of moving to Miller's right to grab the puck WITH THE NETMINDER FAR AWAY FROM HOME and score, he hit him.

Luc's eyes were on Miller, not the puck. That's the difference. And a netminder, the way they're armored up, can't take a hit.
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

OT: I think Stewy will get 2-3 games for boarding hit today.
TW Tiger Woods TW

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Oaklandblue wrote:
goon attack wrote:I'm with Ohio on this one. (Frank) Miller. That wasn't much of a hit. If you can't take that, get your pink panty wearing ass out of the league.
To take a hit, I agree. To get hit, I agree. To get a concussion, I don't. Lucic knew where he was going and was going there fast and alone. He could have moved around or turned away from Miller. It was obvious Miller had cleared the pucked before he reached him. Instead of moving to Miller's right to grab the puck WITH THE NETMINDER FAR AWAY FROM HOME and score, he hit him.

Luc's eyes were on Miller, not the puck. That's the difference. And a netminder, the way they're armored up, can't take a hit.
I think they said he got his concussion later in the game. And, even if he didn't, that's a results-oriented viewpoint. I think arguing he was going for Miller, not the puck, is the only legit criticism of Lucic.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

It was obvious that Miller was going to play the puck off the boards, but Lucic just kept coming at him. He could have turned to avoid him.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

AlsWoodenStick
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by AlsWoodenStick »

ohio BLUES wrote:Miller came charging out and beat Lucic to the puck. What's Lucic supposed to do, teleport past Miller?

That's the price you pay if you come wandering out of the crease to challenge a forward. None of us seemed too upset when Janssen creamed Carey Price in Montreal.
This.

If Miller is coming out to play the puck like a regular player, he should be hit like one.
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

AlsWoodenStick wrote:
ohio BLUES wrote:Miller came charging out and beat Lucic to the puck. What's Lucic supposed to do, teleport past Miller?

This.

If Miller is coming out to play the puck like a regular player, he should be hit like one.
Show me a "regular" player that's wearing a blocker, a trapper, a paddle and two large leg pads. Netminders are -stationary- players, meaning they can't move much beyond blocking pucks. Try to skate with that much hardware on and try to take a hit when you can't move fast to begin with and you get hit by a train.

And just to bring this up, but the penalties Luc got hit with are for hitting a Netminder. Netminders aren't "regular" players. We're not talking about a D getting hit or a forward getting hit, we're talking about a Netminder. This ain't the old days where Plante and Roy and others come out and mix it up with the opposition, if that had been the case, whip Miller a new one. Those days are over, and you can see why.

Lucic's hit was intentional. He didn't go after the puck, he was NOT intending to even consider going after the scoring chance, since if his head was -really- down and he was -really- concentrating on the puck, he would have zoomed around Miller and put it in the basket, he was concentrating on MILLER.

Argue that.

If that had happened to Halak or Elliott, we'd want Lucic's head. So what's the difference here?

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

Oaklandblue wrote: If that had happened to Halak or Elliott, we'd want Lucic's head. So what's the difference here?

COMPLETELY DISAGREE!

You leave you're crease or that damn trapezoid and you have CHOSEN to make yourself a 'regular player'.

Not only do I not have a problem with it, I would have a problem with 'my guy' if he didn't take that opportunity.

Today, we praise Geoff Courtnall for his physicality he had with net minders and then we're going to criticize this..... :facepalm:

I agree that Miller's teammates should retaliate...but as his teammate I would expect nothing less then hitting the goalie, and as many have stated.....he could have really lit him up.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Oaklandblue wrote:He saw an opportunity and tried to hurt a netminder. What aren't you people seeing?
Lucic didn't try to "hurt" anyone.
If he wanted to hurt Miller, he wouldn't have let up. He let up quite a bit, and gave him a shot.
It was a cheap shot, sure. But not suspension worthy.
If I'm a Buffalo fan, I'm livid...and I want Lucic's ass beat...because it is a cheap shot. But it's not suspension worthy.

All he did was check Miller, and it was shoulder to shoulder...it wasn't a head shot. Miller's head wasn't hit. It got jostled around pretty good, and probably looked worse than it was because his helmet flew off.
If he targets Miller's head, that's a different story...but he didn't.

Not everything that is a penalty is also a suspension. This is what penalties are for.

Someone tell me why this is suspension worthy? And don't say "intent to injur" because that's just not the case.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

The players will police this one themselves.
TW Tiger Woods TW

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Oaklandblue wrote:
AlsWoodenStick wrote:

This.

Show me a "regular" player that's wearing a blocker, a trapper, a paddle and two large leg pads. Netminders are -stationary- players, meaning they can't move much beyond blocking pucks. Try to skate with that much hardware on and try to take a hit when you can't move fast to begin with and you get hit by a train.

And just to bring this up, but the penalties Luc got hit with are for hitting a Netminder. Netminders aren't "regular" players. We're not talking about a D getting hit or a forward getting hit, we're talking about a Netminder. This ain't the old days where Plante and Roy and others come out and mix it up with the opposition, if that had been the case, whip Miller a new one. Those days are over, and you can see why.

Lucic's hit was intentional. He didn't go after the puck, he was NOT intending to even consider going after the scoring chance, since if his head was -really- down and he was -really- concentrating on the puck, he would have zoomed around Miller and put it in the basket, he was concentrating on MILLER.

Argue that.

If that had happened to Halak or Elliott, we'd want Lucic's head. So what's the difference here?
First off...goalies are actually some of the best skaters on the team. Growing up playing hockey, they participate in all team drills wearing their equipment.
They are far from immobile. If they were immobile, they would never leave the crease.

Yes, hitting goalie is a penalty...A PENALTY. It doesn't say anywhere that hitting a goalie is a suspension...unless during the hit the player targets the head or boards him or something else that is actually a suspendable offense.

And as I said before, if this had happened to Halak or Elliot, I'd be livid and want the player's ass beat later in the game. But again, this is not a suspendable offense.

Shanahan got this right.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/