Tarasenko update.

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Tarasenko update.

Post by DaDitka »

Tarasenko "lit up" when Blues visited him in Finland
BY JEREMY RUTHERFORD | Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 12:10 pm | No Comments Posted

Blues President John Davidson has returned from a week-long trip to Finland to watch forward prospect Vladimir Tarasenko play with Russia in the Karjala Cup.
The Russians won 2-1 over the Czech Republic in their final game, clinching the championship. The tournament was a break from Tarasenko's regular season with Sibir Novosibirsk, for whom the Blues' 2010 first-round draft pick (16th overall) has 10 goals and 11 assists in 20 games this year.

"Tarasenko was one of the younger players on (Russia's team) and they won it," Davidson said. "It was a defensive-style team and he was very diligent regarding the defensive end of things. He talked about having a bug or something, so he didn't feel 100 percent there.

"Tim Taylor, who is our player-development coach, we had a chance to chat with (Tarasenko) on four different occasions. We were building the relationship up, which was the purpose of the trip ... to get him to understand how important it is to get here in the offseason. It looks like that's something he wants to do, start his career as a Blue."

Former NHL defenseman Dmitri Yushkevich, who coaches with Tarasenko's KHL team, helped coordinate the meetings with the Blues in Finland.

"Dmitri said that (Tarasenko) lit up when he say us," Davidson said. "We went there bearing gifts ... with some tuques and shirts with the Blues' (logo). So it was good. As a player, you're always wondering, are they watching me? Do they want me? What do they think of me? So it's good to have that relationship. Now Tim Taylor will continue via email to ask how he's doing. We care about all these kids."

Davidson also met with Mike Liut, the former Blues goalie who is Tarasenko's agent, on the trip. After talking to Liut, Davidson was comfortable that Tarasenko is aware of the steps he needs to take to play in the NHL.

"He understands that for the journey to play here as a Blue, there's things you have to do to get ready," Davidson said. "Offseason gatherings mean a ton. You get to meet some of the other players, you get to know the city. It's all part of being familiar with the situation."

Asked if there was any confirmation that Tarasenko wanted to play in North America next season, Davidson said: "These things, they never happen until they happen. So it's something we're looking forward to. But we'll see him again, two or three more times this winter, and we'll keep in constant communication with him. Hopefully he'll have the understanding, which I think he does, that we're looking forward to getting him on board."

The Blues' contingent also visited with forward Jori Lehtera, the Blues' third-round pick in 2008 (65th overall). Lehtera also plays with Sibir in the KHL and posted nine goals and 11 assists in 18 games before leaving the lineup with a knee injury.

"He's having a good year," Davidson said. "He had just had a scope on his knee, so he was going to be out for another week or so. He's a kid that's really fit. He's rededicated himself to training and he's had a real good year.

"We'll watch and see how he does the rest of the year and we'll see about him for next season. These guys, they have a great option in the KHL as opposed to the American League. It's called 'cash.' They get paid a lot of money there. So they have a good option and it's a good league. So they want to be with the Blues, not in the minor leagues, because your salary structure changes so much."

Goaltender Konstantin Barulin, the Blues' third-round pick in 2003, played with Tarasenko at the tournament. Barulin, now 27, plays in the KHL and has become one of the top national team netminders for Russia. Davidson doesn't believe Barulin has any aspirations of playing in the NHL.

"I don't think so," he said. "He gets paid very well. He's a guy that's going to stay over there. There's a chance he may get a lot of goaltending for them when it comes time for the World Championships, depending on who's available over here for them. He's a really good goalie, and we know he's there, but we feel comfortable with what we have in our organization."

Copyright 2011 STLtoday.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Read more: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/p ... z1dtynl3kM

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

tomcat16
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Tarasenko update.

Post by tomcat16 »

Does anyone else get the impression from this article that the Blues are going to try to get him over after the KHL season ends? The KHL regular season ends Feb. 26. No idea how long the playoffs can go.

ambill10
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ambill10 »

I read somewhere that we cannot lure him over until after the Worlds I think. Basically, there is some sort of rule that would prevent him from playing in the NHL before next season from what I remember reading. It would be nice to get him in the fold and give him a couple months to acclimate to America before next season starts though.

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

I heard that we have to re-sign him this off-season. can some one elaborate?
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I'm always worried that articles like this always paint a rosy picture of the situation. Hopefully he's here next year, and I've heard plenty to have some confidence that it will happen. But, until he's actually here, I'll be nervous that we won't ever see him.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

tomcat16 wrote:Does anyone else get the impression from this article that the Blues are going to try to get him over after the KHL season ends? The KHL regular season ends Feb. 26. No idea how long the playoffs can go.
This is correct. Heard this on NHL Radio. When the KHL season ends, lots of these guys will start playing with their National Teams and then play in the World Cup. It has something to do with their contracts and guaranteeing they will play for their countries vice jumping to the NHL, so they would have to breach the KHL contract to leave. And, as the above article mentioned, there is lots of money in those KHL contracts compared to what they would make if they had to start in the AHL.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

The article discusses them mentioning how important it is for him to be here in the OFF-SEASON, and that's exactly what I take it as.

Look at how much it hurt Halak last year not coming in until camp. Sure he started hot but his conditioning was an issue the entire season.

What's got me really excited it that they are discussing how important it is for him to come over early.....as if it's a dead given that he's coming at all.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

I'm not worried about Tarasenko. I've read too many reports from different sources where he's expressed his desire to play over here.

Plus, he's my sponsor. Count it.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

ViPeRx007 wrote: Plus, he's my sponsor. Count it.
Actually you're his sponsor.

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

It goes both ways actually.

Coliacovo is my sponsor. He calls me every night to see how I'm doing.

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

kodos wrote:It goes both ways actually.

I have been getting prank calls from a Canadian sounding guy since around the sponsorship thread came out for 2 straight years now...now it makes sense.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

big d note
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by big d note »

"Hey kodos, it's Carlo. How's it *smash*OH FRANK who put that coffee table there?! Shit. [groans] I'm gonna have to call you back."
Official Sponsor of Ray Barile
[Dooger] 9:10 am: That David [Backes] is a cool dude.
RIP Pavol Demitra - I hope you are "so hoppy" wherever you are now

AlsWoodenStick
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by AlsWoodenStick »

big d note wrote:

"Hey kodos, it's Carlo. How's it *smash*OH FRANK who put that coffee table there?! Shit. [groans] I'm gonna have to call you back."
He'd probably be injured from whatever broke too.
Puck Daddy wrote:Carlo Colaiacovo injured; in other news, dogs and cats continue to have philosophical disagreements.
:roll:

Good to see that Taraseko's interest is still up there though, I'm cautiously optimistic. I think the fans here would love him.
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

DaDitka wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote: Plus, he's my sponsor. Count it.
Actually you're his sponsor.
Shut up.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko