What would you trade for Bobby Ryan?

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: What would you trade for Bobby Ryan?

Post by glen a richter »

It's all moot now anyway, since Boudreau is coaching in Anaheim now, but...

Any realistic trade with the Ducks would have to include a load off the roster, too much to give up. And this teams strong point is the defense. Trading anyone off the D would have hurt too much regardless of how many goals are coming back the other way. Who would fill the newly vacant D spots? Fairchild and Ponich?
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Winning Unlimited »

[youtube][/youtube]

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

I wouldn't trade anything for him. This roster is winning and to mess with the chemistry would be franking stupid.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

Plus, we're about to get Perron back... and... (wait for it) and... THAT'S JUST LIKE MAKING A TRADE!!!!!!!1!!!!!

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

kodos wrote:Plus, we're about to get Perron back... and... (wait for it) and... THAT'S JUST LIKE MAKING A TRADE!!!!!!!1!!!!!
Holy crap... kodos is John Mozeliak!
2009-10 LGB Sponsor of Davis "Major" Payne
2010-11 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2011-12 LGB Sponsor of NHL All-Star Brian Elliott
2012-13 LGB Sponsor of Jaroslav Halak

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

ProngerBlues44 wrote:
kodos wrote:Plus, we're about to get Perron back... and... (wait for it) and... THAT'S JUST LIKE MAKING A TRADE!!!!!!!1!!!!!

Moe has dropped that line, but I'm pretty sure the Blues organization coined the phrase.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

DaDitka wrote:
ProngerBlues44 wrote:

Moe has dropped that line, but I'm pretty sure the Blues organization coined the phrase.
Very true, but the Cardinals are the ones that have taken it and ran with it. There was awhile there when we heard that once a week at least from the Cardinals organization.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

We are kicking total ass, so let's make a trade. It will work out great!

sincerely,

1990-91

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

goon attack wrote:We are kicking total ass, so let's make a trade. It will work out great!

sincerely,

1990-91
I basically agree with this.

Yes, we are having trouble scoring, but Bergie and Stew WILL play better and DP is almost back.

And like many have mentioned, there are looking for D, and IMO we will be too around the trade deadline and so I simply don't see what we could afford to give. I highly double they are interested in Cole.

If I'm risking making a trade, I'm going after a top 4 D-man. I know we've allowed the fewest shots, but that has had a lot more to do with hard work in the offensive zone then great play in the defensive end and I'm still somewhat concerned with how this D would hold up in a series against a group of talented forwards.

Oz-iz-God
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Oz-iz-God »

Wait....are there 2 Bobby Ryan's that I'm not aware of?

We're talking about the Bobby Ryan in Anaheim, right?

Fellas - that guy is !@#$ing good. Like 'would immediately be the most dangerous scorer on the team since Demitra' good.

I'm not saying give up the entire franchise for him, but we'd be insane not to make a hell of a push for a 24 year old kid that has legitimate 40-50 goal potential. And the asking price for him should probably be awfully similar to what the Leafs gave up to get Phil Kessel. Kessel wasn't quite as established as Ryan when the trade was made, but he was also cheaper. Their upsides are probably similar, though I like Ryan's game a little more.

The Bruins got 2 firsts and a 2nd for Kessel - so start there.

Yeah, I'd easily give up 2 firsts and a 2nd for Ryan. Wouldn't even blink. We have a TON of guys on this squad in the 22-28 range; prime year players that have a lot of tread left on the tires. We can limp through a couple of drafts over the next 2 years if need be.

Alternatively - I'm about done with Berglund. He just doesn't have the heart to match his talent. I would say Berglund's trade value is probably about the same as a #1. Fairchild was a 4th rounder, but he's going to be a better player than most 2nd rounders would be (he's been a hell of a draft pick); I like him more than Ponich, for damn sure. If they'd take Ponich over Fairchild, clap your hands and make a deal. They're going to want another forward prospect, I'd imagine. Tarasenko and Schwartz is too much, but McRae fits that '3rd component' slot quite nicely.

Berglund, Fairchild/Ponich and McRae for Ryan? Done - no hesitation at all. If they want as much as a 2nd rounder with that to finish the deal, still done. If they'd rather have a more established D-Man like Polak instead of Fairchild/Ponich; okay, I can live with that. I would probably listen on Cole as well, though I'd swallow hard before pulling the trigger (I like Cole a lot).

I'm starting to be of the mind that we need to move Berglund before he becomes another Marty Reasoner. I simply don't have any confidence in this guy ever playing up to his ability.

If we truly believe this team could be Cup-caliber, Ryan is just the kind of star scorer that can put us over the top. With his age and ability, the Blues would be fools not to move hard on him. Maybe it backfires, but you have to take chances to get over the top in this league. This is a damn good chance to take.
[Aode] 10:34 pm: well, if I find cornhole anywhere, I'll try it and let you know

It could always be worse, I could be a Cubs fan. (But please, if you could spare me the parallels between the respective organizations, I'd really appreciate it).

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

Oz-iz-God wrote:Wait....are there 2 Bobby Ryan's that I'm not aware of?

We're talking about the Bobby Ryan in Anaheim, right?

Fellas - that guy is !@#$ing good. Like 'would immediately be the most dangerous scorer on the team since Demitra' good.

I'm not saying give up the entire franchise for him, but we'd be insane not to make a hell of a push for a 24 year old kid that has legitimate 40-50 goal potential. And the asking price for him should probably be awfully similar to what the Leafs gave up to get Phil Kessel. Kessel wasn't quite as established as Ryan when the trade was made, but he was also cheaper. Their upsides are probably similar, though I like Ryan's game a little more.

The Bruins got 2 firsts and a 2nd for Kessel - so start there.

Yeah, I'd easily give up 2 firsts and a 2nd for Ryan. Wouldn't even blink. We have a TON of guys on this squad in the 22-28 range; prime year players that have a lot of tread left on the tires. We can limp through a couple of drafts over the next 2 years if need be.

Alternatively - I'm about done with Berglund. He just doesn't have the heart to match his talent. I would say Berglund's trade value is probably about the same as a #1. Fairchild was a 4th rounder, but he's going to be a better player than most 2nd rounders would be (he's been a hell of a draft pick); I like him more than Ponich, for damn sure. If they'd take Ponich over Fairchild, clap your hands and make a deal. They're going to want another forward prospect, I'd imagine. Tarasenko and Schwartz is too much, but McRae fits that '3rd component' slot quite nicely.

Berglund, Fairchild/Ponich and McRae for Ryan? Done - no hesitation at all. If they want as much as a 2nd rounder with that to finish the deal, still done. If they'd rather have a more established D-Man like Polak instead of Fairchild/Ponich; okay, I can live with that. I would probably listen on Cole as well, though I'd swallow hard before pulling the trigger (I like Cole a lot).

I'm starting to be of the mind that we need to move Berglund before he becomes another Marty Reasoner. I simply don't have any confidence in this guy ever playing up to his ability.

If we truly believe this team could be Cup-caliber, Ryan is just the kind of star scorer that can put us over the top. With his age and ability, the Blues would be fools not to move hard on him. Maybe it backfires, but you have to take chances to get over the top in this league. This is a damn good chance to take.
Sure, for either of your two proposed trades (2 firsts or Bergie, Fairchild, McRae)....I just don't think ether of them would have been enough.

I honestly think would have taken much more. But it's dead now anyways.

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

They said last night on NHL on the fly that this would be expensive for any team to get Ryan.

Official Sponsor of "The Barn"
2013-2014 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2010-2011 Official Sponsor of Brad Winchester
2009-2010 Official Sponsor of Paul Kariya

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

Oz-iz-God wrote:The Bruins got 2 firsts and a 2nd for Kessel - so start there.
Here's the problem with comparing the two trades - two completely different teams.

Boston was ok with getting rid of Kessel because they were already an established team... losing Kessel didn't slow them down.

If the Ducks lost Ryan, it would kill their scoring. They won't be looking just for draft picks; they need at least a little proven NHL talent in return.

I know a lot of people in Orange County who say the Ducks cannot enter another long drought without playoffs. The fans there are very "what-have-you-done-for-me-lately." If the Ducks fall on their faces for a long stretch of time, the fans convert back to the NBA. Not to mention if the Rams move back to LA.

They can miss the playoffs here and there, but the organ-I-zation knows that if they have a stretch like the Blues or Hawks had recently, they may be losing a lot of their fan base... more so than your average team.

Carl Racki
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Carl Racki »

Blues still a legitimate scoring threat up front and another stud hybrid type defenseman away from being in a legitimate playoff threat conversation in my opinion.

Bobby Ryan is a stud. If Berglund does not step it up noticeably over the next few weeks/month, I don't think Armstrong will hesitate in punching his ticket out of town. Whether he is enough to be a centerpiece of that kind of trade, I don't know. If the Blues can pull it off without raiding the current roster too much, and the trade involves mostly draft picks, they are crazy not to do it.

Oz-iz-God
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Oz-iz-God »

ProngerBlues44 wrote:
Oz-iz-God wrote:The Bruins got 2 firsts and a 2nd for Kessel - so start there.
Here's the problem with comparing the two trades - two completely different teams.

Boston was ok with getting rid of Kessel because they were already an established team... losing Kessel didn't slow them down.

If the Ducks lost Ryan, it would kill their scoring. They won't be looking just for draft picks; they need at least a little proven NHL talent in return.

I know a lot of people in Orange County who say the Ducks cannot enter another long drought without playoffs. The fans there are very "what-have-you-done-for-me-lately." If the Ducks fall on their faces for a long stretch of time, the fans convert back to the NBA. Not to mention if the Rams move back to LA.

They can miss the playoffs here and there, but the organ-I-zation knows that if they have a stretch like the Blues or Hawks had recently, they may be losing a lot of their fan base... more so than your average team.
Two different scenarios, but perhaps similar urgency?

Hasn't Anaheim made it known that they can't carry their 3 'core' forwards? And sure, Ryan is the most desirable of the trio, but he's also going to yield the biggest return.

You may be right; maybe Boston didn't ask more because they didn't care as much about losing Kessel. At the same time, Boston didn't have anything driving them to trade him and that was still the best they could get for him. They didn't feel a true urgency to trade him.

Maybe the coaching change will eliminate that urgency for the Ducks as well and Ryan becomes a pipe dream. But if that urgency doesn't dissipate, I don't see why we should expect Anaheim to get much more for Ryan than the Bruins got for Kessel.

Alternatively - wouldn't Parise be a perfect pickup? Obviously not for near the package (he's a pending FA), but the Devils know they're going to lose him. Shouldn't we be kicking on their door a bit? He's not as skilled as Ryan and wouldn't be as versatile a scorer, but I think he fits the team dynamic and the need as well as anyone available. What is he worth?
[Aode] 10:34 pm: well, if I find cornhole anywhere, I'll try it and let you know

It could always be worse, I could be a Cubs fan. (But please, if you could spare me the parallels between the respective organizations, I'd really appreciate it).

TheoSqua
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by TheoSqua »

Oz-iz-God wrote:And sure, Ryan is the most desirable of the trio
I'd take Corey Perry over Bobby Ryan any day of the week.
Official LGB Sponser of 10 year old signatures:

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

Oz-iz-God wrote:You may be right; maybe Boston didn't ask more because they didn't care as much about losing Kessel. At the same time, Boston didn't have anything driving them to trade him and that was still the best they could get for him. They didn't feel a true urgency to trade him.
Boston was in cap hell. Kessel's contract was running out and Boston dumped him to make cap space.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

We would be stupid to not push hard for that one last piece of the puzzle... a gritty veteran defenseman like Garth Butcher!

Sincerely,

Brian Sutter, trade dealine 1991... mere weeks before the most badass team in Blues history flamed out in the second round

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

goon attack wrote:We would be stupid to not push hard for that one last piece of the puzzle... a gritty veteran defenseman like Garth Butcher!

Sincerely,

Brian Sutter, trade dealine 1991... mere weeks before the most badass team in Blues history flamed out in the second round
That's why it's crucial IMO that when we make a move it involves as little of the current roster as possible.

However, if/when everyone is healthy and back...we should have more NHL quality forwards then spots....but that's an 'if', the trade deadline still far away, and the team is playing well so I'm in no hurry to 'shake things up'.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

goon attack wrote:We would be stupid to not push hard for that one last piece of the puzzle... a gritty veteran defenseman like Garth Butcher!

Sincerely,

Ugh.
That move kind of tarnishes Sutter's image a bit as it is widely known he wanted Butcher.
We may have needed a tough stay at home defenseman on that team...or maybe not, but regardless...we overpaid by giving up Ronning, Momesso, Courtnall and Dirk (who eventually helped Vancouver get to the finals in '94).

We also got Quinn in the trade...who just wasn't very good for us...and whom I despised at the time for sucking.

After the trade the Blues went winless in the next 6 games...but people forget that we finished the season on a 7-game win streak...so folks were pretty happy going into the playoffs.

I always said that Butcher was the best in the league at knocking guys down AFTER they had scored.

What really sucked about that is that the Hawks, who had the best record in the NHL lost in the first round...and the Blues, who finished with the 2nd best record overall, advanced to round 2.

I really thought that was our year.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/