GDT#32: 12/18/11 > Blue Jackets @ Blues > 6:00PM > FSMW/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: GDT#32: 12/18/11 > Blue Jackets @ Blues > 6:00PM > FSMW/KMOX

Post by DaDitka »

theohall wrote:I am kinda wondering if Stewart's poor in-game work ethic was rubbing off on Berglund. It seems since Hitchcock arrived, Berglund re-discovered what was making him so successful from January on last season and he is getting chances because of it. Hopefully, the Stewart demotion will keep Berglund more motivated. One thing is for sure, I doubt either Berglund or Perron can out-work Langenbrunner shift to shift if he stays on that line. And Langenbrunner is an OLD hockey player.
I think that is a rather natural reaction you'd get from anybody when they see someone else is not putting in any effort. That's why I'm such a proponent of sitting Stewart (maybe even for more then one game) .....not just as a wake up call to him, but to let the other players know that the coaches see what's going on. The appreciate the effort the others are bringing to the table and they will not tolerate those not pulling their own weight no matter if they are supposed to be a 'star' or a role player.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

Stewart needs to start working and getting some points. It's a contract year for him. I hope he starts scoring a ton and builds up his value. That way we can either trade him or be smart enough to not give him a contract extension.

Official Sponsor of "The Barn"
2013-2014 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2010-2011 Official Sponsor of Brad Winchester
2009-2010 Official Sponsor of Paul Kariya

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

I like O'Neal's comment in between periods on the radio the other night.

He suggested they park him in front of the net and "maybe they can bounce on off him and in" to get him going.

I think that's a pretty 'telling' statement.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

DaDitka wrote:I like O'Neal's comment in between periods on the radio the other night.

He suggested they park him in front of the net and "maybe they can bounce on off him and in" to get him going.

I think that's a pretty 'telling' statement.
And quite honestly, the Tkachuk-style "circles in front of the net" deal is NOT a bad idea for him- seriously. Garbage goals count the same as everything else and he has the body size for it. Have the Center and other wing on his line working the boards when they get it in the zone and have him be the "circles the whale" power forward in the slot- at least his linemates will know where he is :lol:

He's got sick talent: we've all seen it... but that's all past-tense. Still have really high hopes for this guy. Better not be another Brad Boyes :|
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

WaukeeBlues wrote:
He's got sick talent: we've all seen it... but that's all past-tense. Still have really high hopes for this guy. Better not be another Brad Boyes :|
I really wish I could say the same, but even if he were to sign a 'prove himself' contract this off season and then went out and netted 37 goals next year, would you be comfortable giving him a big time 5 year deal? I wouldn't. This isn't a 'slow start' it's too far into the season. It's not that he's not catching breaks, he's not even trying.

I sincerely hope he changes my mind, but right now...even if he get's hot and still nets another 30....I don;t trust him and I wont trust him. If you can't motivate a guy in a contract year, what makes you think he will give any effort at all with a long term deal?

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

When he scored all of those goals for us last year, a good 2/3 of them were garbage goals. Which is fine. Garbage goals are goals and it takes work to score those.

I don't even know what to think anymore. It's just so weird. It's like he walked off a cliff or something.