Halak to Toronto?

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Halak to Toronto?

Post by Nyghtewynd »

Just read something on Twitter where someone mentioned this trade possibility...anyone heard anything other than just random stuff?
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Halak to Toronto?

Post by glen a richter »

I would highly, highly doubt that. I would doubt that so much I would put it at an E negative 5.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

That's preposterous. Sounds like wishful thinking on the part of Laffs fans.
Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

glen a richter wrote:I would highly, highly doubt that. I would doubt that so much I would put it at an E negative 5.

:letsgoblues:

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I really doubt it too. I think 3 things have to be true for it to be a possibility:

1. The Blues believe our solid goaltending is the result of solid defense more than goaltending talent. If that's the case, goaltenders are more interchangeable.

2. We get something big in return. He won't get Kessel by himself, but a Halak-anchored package might. I don't know much else about their roster to know what else would be worthwhile.

3. We're confident that Elliot won't flame out and/or Allen/Bishop are ready to step up.

Even then, why mess with a good thing? Makes me nervous.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

cardsfan04 wrote:I really doubt it too. I think 3 things have to be true for it to be a possibility:

1. The Blues believe our solid goaltending is the result of solid defense more than goaltending talent. If that's the case, goaltenders are more interchangeable.

2. We get something big in return. He won't get Kessel by himself, but a Halak-anchored package might. I don't know much else about their roster to know what else would be worthwhile.

3. We're confident that Elliot won't flame out and/or Allen/Bishop are ready to step up.

Not to mention....Elliot is a pending free agent. Not only is he more likely to be moved, I'd be pissed if the team isn't investigating what value we could expect in return.

If.....if......one of them were to be moved, it's easily going to be Elliot.

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

Yup. Elliot is way more likely to be moved.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if that happens actually.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

DaDitka wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:I really doubt it too. I think 3 things have to be true for it to be a possibility:

Not to mention....Elliot is a pending free agent. Not only is he more likely to be moved, I'd be pissed if the team isn't investigating what value we could expect in return.

If.....if......one of them were to be moved, it's easily going to be Elliot.
Yeah. And even if it would be Halak, would you really trade him right as Elliot goes through a rough stretch. I'm not overly worried about Elliot, but it's not like he has this long track record of success to make me 100% certain he will bounce back to play like he did in the first half.

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

"Rough stretch" seems like a gross exaggeration of how he's playing now.

He went from looking like a hockey god to looking like a very good goaltender.

A few 3 goal games isn't a rough stretch.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

The team has had a rough stretch of 2nd periods, well two anyway, in recent memory. How the hell do you give up 3 shots in the first and 20+ in the second? The fact we've withstood that kind of punishment for 20 minutes and stayed competitive speaks volumes of the goaltending, even if they do give up 3 goals a game.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

kodos wrote:"Rough stretch" seems like a gross exaggeration of how he's playing now.

He went from looking like a hockey god to looking like a very good goaltender.

A few 3 goal games isn't a rough stretch.
Yeah, that's a bit of an exaggeration for sure.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

It would take a special type of buffoon to trade one of our goalies right now. Going into the playoffs with two wicked netminders? Um, YES, please.

The only way you make a trade involving either of them right now is if you get an elite scorer.... and even then I'd be wary.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

goon attack wrote:It would take a special type of buffoon to trade one of our goalies right now.
Please review moves this team has made in the past. We just might have that special someone. That being said I don't think either of them is going anywhere and if a move was made it would be Elliott just because of the contract status.

Official Sponsor of "The Barn"
2013-2014 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2010-2011 Official Sponsor of Brad Winchester
2009-2010 Official Sponsor of Paul Kariya

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Winning Unlimited »

Here is a great article I read this morning arguing why Ben Bishop deserves a chance in the NHL.

http://theahl.com/bishop-still-on-track-to-nhl-p175463

I am not a fan of trading just because we have cap space. It has to be for the right piece at the right price. Halak and Elliott sharing the net with Bishop in street clothes sounds like a good plan at the moment.

I don't understand the rumors with Toronto. Phil Kessel won't be traded. Luke Schenn is a right handed defenseman, and we have three of those: Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, and Polak.

John Michael Liles could be trade bait, but he comes packaged with a concussion.

Edit: Halak isn't traded after tonight.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Dumb. Trading a hot Halak makes zero sense.

The team wants him to be the #1 guy, which is why he is getting more starts now that his play has greatly improved since his rough start. Why would the #1 team in the West trade their #1 goalie who is on a roll? Not gonna happen.

And I don't see Elliott getting moved either, unless the return is something the organization feels puts us in a much better position to go deep into the playoffs. But I don't think we'd get that much in return. We have arguably the best backup in the league, aside from maybe Rask, and he is dirt cheap. Makes no sense for a currently cash strapped team to move him right now. Why move very good, very cheap players if your payroll needs to be low? ...but that aspect may change once the team is actually sold in the coming weeks/months.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

After seeing Halak being able to pull out of his tailspin and dominate and after having a heavy dose of enjoyable delicious crow, I'm just going to say this:

Sign Elliott, keep Halak and dominate for the next 5-10 years. We got Net in Check. We trade anyone to Toronto, better be Bishop or Allen. Anything else is retarded.

Last time we had this effective of a tandem, we went to the finals. Don't f this up. Please.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

It makes the most sense to sign Elliot to a short term contract and then trade him in the offseason. I don't know all the cap restrictions and all that, but either way, dude is cashing in.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

goon attack wrote:It makes the most sense to sign Elliot to a short term contract and then trade him in the offseason. I don't know all the cap restrictions and all that, but either way, dude is cashing in.

I think that's a great idea.....I would just assume that Elliot and his agent know that the odds are very high that he's playing over his head and he's going to look to maximize the length of this deal. I don't think you'll get him to sign a 2 year, 4 million dollar deal.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

thedoc wrote:
goon attack wrote:It would take a special type of buffoon to trade one of our goalies right now.
Please review moves this team has made in the past.
Just to help understand how bad of moves the Blues have made in the past, just look up Garth Butcher and what that trade did to a team which was dominating prior to his acquisition.

However, I don't see Armstrong making that kind of bone-headed move. He appears to be a very smart GM that makes excellent deals, usually.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

theohall wrote:
thedoc wrote:
Please review moves this team has made in the past.
Just to help understand how bad of moves the Blues have made in the past, just look up Garth Butcher and what that trade did to a team which was dominating prior to his acquisition.

However, I don't see Armstrong making that kind of bone-headed move. He appears to be a very smart GM that makes excellent deals, usually.
Not really the same though.
Sutter felt that team badly needed toughness, so he sent FOUR FORWARDS (1/3 of the offense) off the roster (Momesso, Dirk, Ronning and Courtnal) in exchange for Butcher and Quinn. That's screwing with the chemistry too much.

Trading Halak would be stupid...but trading Elliott isn't as bad of a suggestion...even though he's been stellar.

Trading four guys out of your lineup is a lot different than trading your supposed backup goalie.

However...Halak and Elliott have thrived under competition for the starting job. So I wouldn't screw with that...not unless we have a legit 40 goal scorer coming back in return...which won't happen. We'd have to give up Elliott, a prospect and a 1st rounder to get that killer finisher we want.

I think Elliott may be worth more to us than he would be in a trade.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/