Bishop situation

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Leedog
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Bishop situation

Post by Leedog »

Seems likely they will trade him between now and the deadline. I wonder what his value is on his own. Another equal prospect that plays a different position? Draft pick? There doesn't seem to be room on the NHL roster for anyone who we could get for him. Unless they packaged something like him and Dago for a fwd who would be an upgrade over Dago.
Unofficial sponsor of Sarah Palin for PILF '12

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Bishop situation

Post by thedoc »

It's hard to say exactly whats on Armstrongs mind. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't decide to stand pat for a bit and see what possibly could come there way. IMO.

Official Sponsor of "The Barn"
2013-2014 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2010-2011 Official Sponsor of Brad Winchester
2009-2010 Official Sponsor of Paul Kariya

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

It's a murky situation.

1) Because he will be a UFA in July, his value will be lower than were he under contract
2) Because he will be a UFA in July, keeping him around bears the risk of him testing the market, instead of re-signing with the Blues.

Now, if the Blues can get Bishop to agree to a trade-and-sign or sign-and-trade type deal, then he would have some value.

Look around the league and see which teams are struggling in goal, then look for 2nd and 3rd liners who could help the Blues. The Blues aren't going to get a high end talent for someone who struggled the last time he played in the NHL. Hard to forget the disasters, among his few successes, which befell him last season.

I would be looking at Columbus, Colorado (who probably won't trade with Armstrong ever again), Toronto, Edmonton, and Washington. It should be noted the Blues did have someone scouting the Toronto/Montreal game on Sunday.

Montreal could very well be looking for someone younger to back-up Carey Price. Budaj is 29 and had only played in 7 games this season. We know Toronto is looking for help in net, in spite of the flash their young netminder showed earlier this season. Dubnyk has not been that good as a backup for Edmonton. Neuvirth has under-performed in Washington. Columbus goaltending situation has been an unmitigated disaster. That leaves Colorado. Giguere is getting old and Varlamov has always been average.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

Leedog
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Leedog »

Doesn't someone only have to play him in, like 17 games to keep him as an RFA? So a team out of the running might be a good fit,

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

Have the Blues ever had a goaltending prospect amount to anything in this league?

Joseph (who was undrafted and we signed away from his college team) and maybe Brent Johnson who is a semi-decent career backup?

Ugh. I never hold out an ounce of hope for goaltending prospects. I think the only reason Bishop is esteemed so highly is that he's a St. Louis kid.

Which, honestly, is pretty cool... but still. We need to be realistic about his long term prospects in this league and his trade value.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

If you are going to trade Bishop, now is the time. He's an AHL all star, he's 25, and like it was mentioned above, he's going to be a UFA at the end of this year most likely. I'm not saying you'll get a 1st rounder for him, but it's unlikely that he'll re-sign here if he becomes a UFA. So take what you can get for him now and turn the controls over to Jake Allen and see if he can re-gain his form.

By the way, in terms of goalie prospects, why not take at least a goalie or two every year? One of them will eventually pan out, right? I mean, Pekka Rinne was something like a 7th round pick, right?

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

TheoSqua
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by TheoSqua »

you might be able to get a 2nd round pick for him. he was a 3rd round pick, and now his potential is higher.
Official LGB Sponser of 10 year old signatures:

F Keenan
All-Star
All-Star

Post by F Keenan »

I hope Bishop make it in this league, so I'm happy to see him playing well in Peoria. That being said, wasn't Allen nearly unbeatable for the first half last season before he came back down to earth?
*I tend to only post on this site when I'm intoxicated.

F Keenan
All-Star
All-Star

Post by F Keenan »

TheoSqua wrote:you might be able to get a 2nd round pick for him. he was a 3rd round pick, and now his potential is higher.
Schneider and Bernier are possibly on the market, so that would drive the price down on Bishop. I doubt we could fetch more than a 3rd rounder.

AlsWoodenStick
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by AlsWoodenStick »

Edit: whoops, wrong thread haha. I hope we retain Bishop, somehow.
Last edited by AlsWoodenStick on Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

F Keenan
All-Star
All-Star

Post by F Keenan »

AlsWoodenStick wrote:What a dumbass penalty by Cola. That seals it.

Halak played well, Howard played better, and Detroit still sucks.
GDT?

AlsWoodenStick
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by AlsWoodenStick »

F Keenan wrote:
AlsWoodenStick wrote:What a dumbass penalty by Cola. That seals it.

Halak played well, Howard played better, and Detroit still sucks.
GDT?
:okman:
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

Leedog
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Leedog »

How about Stewart and Bishop for Parise? Maybe needs tweaking, but NJ will have a hard time keeping Parise and may be looking for young goaltending, they get a a potential 40 goal power forward and possible heir apparent. Blues get their sniper.

tjk002
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by tjk002 »

Leedog wrote:How about Stewart and Bishop for Parise? Maybe needs tweaking, but NJ will have a hard time keeping Parise and may be looking for young goaltending, they get a a potential 40 goal power forward and possible heir apparent. Blues get their sniper.
I was saying something along the same lines (Berglund instead of Stewart) for Ryan. I got laughed out of the building. I think Berglund will get more in return than Stewart will at this point. But I'm not sure that will hold for much longer considering Berglund has been a no show for a solid stretch now.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

tjk002 wrote:
Leedog wrote:How about Stewart and Bishop for Parise? Maybe needs tweaking, but NJ will have a hard time keeping Parise and may be looking for young goaltending, they get a a potential 40 goal power forward and possible heir apparent. Blues get their sniper.
I was saying something along the same lines (Berglund instead of Stewart) for Ryan. I got laughed out of the building. I think Berglund will get more in return than Stewart will at this point. But I'm not sure that will hold for much longer considering Berglund has been a no show for a solid stretch now.

I think there is a considerable difference between Ryan's value and Parise's because of their contract situations. Ryan is locked up for three more years at 5 mill a year, Parise will be a UFA and is currently making 6 mill a year.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I vaguely touched on it in the GDT... if the Blues go out tonight and put up another 1 spot, or less, I would not be against a trade during the ASG break. I trust Hitch to be able to get anyone to buy into his system and whether Tarasenko Or Schwartz or both may one day turn into offensive monsters, I want to win now. This team is ONE PLAYER AWAY. That player is a goalscorer who we can count on, and who can also take the pressure off everyone else so that they can stop missing the damn net and start actually scoring to their potential too, and we have the coach to get it done.

I don't want them to trade Bishop but somehow I expect that's the only way to get a trade accomplished by including him.

Bishop+Cola+Berglund to Columbus for Carter (or Nash--wishful thinking)+Gillies+3rd rounder? Same package plus a 1st and 3rd rounder for Ryan or Getzlaf? This is why I'm not a GM. Among the 10000 other reasons I'm not a GM.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Jeffrey99
Prospect
Prospect

Bishop situation

Post by Jeffrey99 »

glen a richter wrote: Bishop+Cola+Berglund to Columbus for Carter (or Nash--wishful thinking)+Gillies+3rd rounder? Same package plus a 1st and 3rd rounder for Ryan or Getzlaf? This is why I'm not a GM. Among the 10000 other reasons I'm not a GM.
No to Nash. As someone who's watched the Jackets the past 7 years, I can't stand Nash. He's lazy and plays no defense. Sure he's a great goal scorer, he's just a crappy teammate & captain. I'm not sure you could ever get Nash out of that city without a riot, though I'm sure management would be up for a trade for a goalie. Then again Howson probably thinks Mason is about ready to turn the corner and be the same goalie he was when he won Rookie Of The Year.

tjk002
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by tjk002 »

DaDitka wrote:
tjk002 wrote:

I think there is a considerable difference between Ryan's value and Parise's because of their contract situations. Ryan is locked up for three more years at 5 mill a year, Parise will be a UFA and is currently making 6 mill a year.
Agree, there is a difference. However there is also a difference in the fact that NJ is in a fight for the final playoff spot in the east, while Anaheim has zero chance of making it in the West. I think there is a trade to be made with Anaheim for Ryan without giving up one of our defensemen. I like our defensive pairings right now. I think Cola and Petro play very well together as all of our pairings do right now.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

tjk002 wrote:I think there is a trade to be made with Anaheim for Ryan without giving up one of our defensemen.
I think you're right if you're willing to send them Bergie, Tank and a first round pick.....which I'm not willing to do.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

DaDitka wrote:
tjk002 wrote:I think there is a trade to be made with Anaheim for Ryan without giving up one of our defensemen.
I think you're right if you're willing to send them Bergie, Tank and a first round pick.....which I'm not willing to do.
I'm unwilling to trade Tarasenko, but the rest of the deal I would be fine with. I might try Stewart instead of Berglund, but he might have even less value.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen