Blue Jackets Fire-Sale; any future Blues?

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Blue Jackets Fire-Sale; any future Blues?

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Both TSN and ESPN are reporting that the Blue Jackets are planning "radical changes" and that nobody, including Rick Nash for the first time, is off the table if the price is right.

Who, if anyone, would/could/should the Blues pursue at the deadline?

Personally I think Nash would be too expensive and especially if the Jackets are looking to take a nuclear bomb to their team like Edmonton did a year+ ago, we'd have to give up some YOUNG talent (e.g. Schwartz & Tarasenko and first rounders just to get Jacket's GM to answer the phone), although they'd probably still listen if we threw around Stewart, Berglund, etc.

Carter? Umberger? Brassard? Thoughts?
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Blue Jackets Fire-Sale; any future Blues?

Post by theohall »

WaukeeBlues wrote:Both TSN and ESPN are reporting that the Blue Jackets are planning "radical changes" and that nobody, including Rick Nash for the first time, is off the table if the price is right.

Personally I think Nash would be too expensive and especially if the Jackets are looking to take a nuclear bomb to their team like Edmonton did a year+ ago, we'd have to give up some YOUNG talent (e.g. Schwartz & Tarasenko and first rounders just to get Jacket's GM to answer the phone), although they'd probably still listen if we threw around Stewart, Berglund, etc.

The Blues should not give Columbus anything. When players return from injury, the Blues will be a better team than they already are. No reason to give up the future when they have a playoff calibre team now and can make that playoff calibre team better simply by waiting on their prospects.

The only trade the Blues should make at all would involve getting something for Bishop. But the league knows he will be a UFA and only teams desperate for goaltending would even consider making a trade so they could lock him up before he becomes a FA. The only thing the Blues would get out of that would likely be draft picks.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

The Blues will not be taking on any significant contracts.
Nash will not be coming here...even though, if we did acquire him, it would make Detroit shit their pants.
What would nashville want?
Probably way too much. Probably a couple players off the roster (Perron & Stewart), plus Bishop since their goaltending sucks, and probably a first round pick plus a prospect like Schwartz or something.

Too much. No thanks.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

theohall wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:Both TSN and ESPN are reporting that the Blue Jackets are planning "radical changes" and that nobody, including Rick Nash for the first time, is off the table if the price is right.

The Blues should not give Columbus anything. When players return from injury, the Blues will be a better team than they already are. No reason to give up the future when they have a playoff calibre team now and can make that playoff calibre team better simply by waiting on their prospects.

The only trade the Blues should make at all would involve getting something for Bishop. But the league knows he will be a UFA and only teams desperate for goaltending would even consider making a trade so they could lock him up before he becomes a FA. The only thing the Blues would get out of that would likely be draft picks.
A huge factor in the Bishop scenario is this...
After this season, he will be a UFA, not a restricted free agent. To remain a restricted free agent so a team could still retain his rights after the season, he would need to play at least 30 minutes in at least 17 games in the NHL this year.
It will be tough to move him, because his window of opportunity to play in 17 games this year is closing fast. Bishop's value becomes less and less as the days pass.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

I would entertain the notion of giving Stewart, Bishop and Perron for Nash. Here me out on this. Stewart I don't think we are going to want to re-sign unless it's a 1-2 year deal that he will play to drive up his value. Bishop we have no room for so if he has any value we need to take advantage of it while we can. Perron, I like the guy and I think he has talent but 1) he is going to have trouble with concussions from now on and with the way he plays he WILL get another. 2) We keep thinking that he is going to have break out year every year. If we could get a proven player and that is a big if even with this package, we don't know if he is ever going to be the player we HOPE he might turn into. So yes if they would entertain this package I would do it and I might even be tempted to through in a late round pick. IMO

Official Sponsor of "The Barn"
2013-2014 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2010-2011 Official Sponsor of Brad Winchester
2009-2010 Official Sponsor of Paul Kariya

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I wouldn't trade Perron.

Last year he was on pace for 40 goals when he got hurt. Small sample, but there's reason to believe that he was breaking out last year.

This year he has 25 points in 31 games. That's not quite point/game, but you have to figure it took a little while to get back in the swing of things.

Factor in that had makes $5mil less than Nash and I think it's a no brainer to keep him. He's a RFA after the season. I don't know what to expect for him to get contract-wise, but you've gotta think the health issue will prevent him from getting much of a raise.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

Perron might have been on pace for 40 but he has never come close. Nash has scored 40 and is consistently over 30 and has been a plus 65 point man for the last 4 years. Through in that he is 6'4" 220lbs a finisher and would be a previous captain for some more leadership in the locker room after Arnott and Langenbruner are gone Perron would be a small trade. But we are just pissing in the wind IMO because this is just speculation and me thinking out loud because I would not give up more than I said before and I think the George Michael's will want more.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

thedoc wrote:I would entertain the notion of giving Stewart, Bishop and Perron for Nash. Here me out on this. Stewart I don't think we are going to want to re-sign unless it's a 1-2 year deal that he will play to drive up his value. Bishop we have no room for so if he has any value we need to take advantage of it while we can. Perron, I like the guy and I think he has talent but 1) he is going to have trouble with concussions from now on and with the way he plays he WILL get another. 2) We keep thinking that he is going to have break out year every year. If we could get a proven player and that is a big if even with this package, we don't know if he is ever going to be the player we HOPE he might turn into. So yes if they would entertain this package I would do it and I might even be tempted to through in a late round pick. IMO

The problem is no matter what any of us think of the deal, they would have 0 interest in it. Stewart has no value to them, he's a free agent and it's not like they are making a playoff run this year and Bishop has no value either.....

So you're looking at DP for Nash and they aren't making that move in a million years. I'm with you that I would....Nash is proven, and I do think David is always going to struggle physically in the league (injuries, nicks, concussions).....I love the kid, I'm just saying I'd rather have Nash......honestly I'd say that about everyone on the roster save Pie and Backes.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

thedoc wrote:Perron might have been on pace for 40 but he has never come close. Nash has scored 40 and is consistently over 30 and has been a plus 65 point man for the last 4 years. Through in that he is 6'4" 220lbs a finisher and would be a previous captain for some more leadership in the locker room after Arnott and Langenbruner are gone Perron would be a small trade. But we are just pissing in the wind IMO because this is just speculation and me thinking out loud because I would not give up more than I said before and I think the George Michael's will want more.
That's true. And, he's younger than I thought he was, so I actually wouldn't have much issue with it. In my mind he was 30-31, not 27.

But, yeah, definitely a pipe dream. They aren't taking on his salary.

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

Watch how Nash played last night.

Thanks, but no thanks. We don't need his kind on the Blues.
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

fargoblues wrote:Watch how Nash played last night.

Yeah, cause so many Blues played better last night. :facepalm:

We can 'discuss' what we would or would not give up for him...that's a matter of opinion.

What's not a matter of opinion is that Nash would instantly be one of the top two or three forwards on this team.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

The initial rumor I saw was Brandon Dubinsky and a 1st rounder for Nash. If Columbus is so open to being ripped off like that, surely the Blues can arrange something similarly unbalanced and get away with it.

Bishop, Cundari, Stewart and a 2nd for Nash and a 5th.

Do it, Army!
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

I would give them Perron and Skanko for Nash...here is my reasoning. They aren't going to be interested in Bishop unless he re-signs before we trade him and then it's iffy. Stewart has said he wants to go back to Colorado and he has no value to them as a rental since they aren't going to make the playoffs. See above for reasoning on Perron. Skanko we don't know if 1) he is ever coming to America and 2) we don't know if he can adapt to North American style of play. If they both come back to bit me in the a$$ for saying that so be it. I just think a player with Nash's ability (please insert Gaborik or Parise here if you like) would make us legit Cup contenders this year and we are not robbing our future with getting rid of those two.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

thedoc wrote:I would give them Perron and Skanko for Nash...here is my reasoning. They aren't going to be interested in Bishop unless he re-signs before we trade him and then it's iffy. Stewart has said he wants to go back to Colorado and he has no value to them as a rental since they aren't going to make the playoffs. See above for reasoning on Perron. Skanko we don't know if 1) he is ever coming to America and 2) we don't know if he can adapt to North American style of play. If they both come back to bit me in the a$$ for saying that so be it. I just think a player with Nash's ability (please insert Gaborik or Parise here if you like) would make us legit Cup contenders this year and we are not robbing our future with getting rid of those two.
:plusplus:
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

DaDitka wrote:
thedoc wrote:I would entertain the notion of giving Stewart, Bishop and Perron for Nash. Here me out on this. Stewart I don't think we are going to want to re-sign unless it's a 1-2 year deal that he will play to drive up his value. Bishop we have no room for so if he has any value we need to take advantage of it while we can. Perron, I like the guy and I think he has talent but 1) he is going to have trouble with concussions from now on and with the way he plays he WILL get another. 2) We keep thinking that he is going to have break out year every year. If we could get a proven player and that is a big if even with this package, we don't know if he is ever going to be the player we HOPE he might turn into. So yes if they would entertain this package I would do it and I might even be tempted to through in a late round pick. IMO

The problem is no matter what any of us think of the deal, they would have 0 interest in it. Stewart has no value to them, he's a free agent and it's not like they are making a playoff run this year and Bishop has no value either.....

So you're looking at DP for Nash and they aren't making that move in a million years. I'm with you that I would....Nash is proven, and I do think David is always going to struggle physically in the league (injuries, nicks, concussions).....I love the kid, I'm just saying I'd rather have Nash......honestly I'd say that about everyone on the roster save Pie and Backes.
Bishop has value...especially to a team like Columbus.
He's not just some little known commodity only known to us.
It's known around the league that he is NHL ready and would be playing in the NHL right now, if not for us having the best goaltending in the league.
His contract is the only hiccup...so it might be best for us to sign him and trade him...or let him sign with his new team after he is traded, but that's riskier for the destination team to do and would bring less in return for us.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Guys...
Unless there is a complete about face in the organization's stance on adding salary before the sale of the team is complete, we are not getting Nash...no way, shape or form.
Not even for a 3rd round pick. Unfortunately, his salary just isn't in the budget right now with the team being sold.
It's a shame...because he could be the difference in us winning a cup or not...maybe.
But he'd probably cost us too much anyway.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

thedoc wrote:I would give them Perron and Skanko for Nash...here is my reasoning. They aren't going to be interested in Bishop unless he re-signs before we trade him and then it's iffy. Stewart has said he wants to go back to Colorado and he has no value to them as a rental since they aren't going to make the playoffs. See above for reasoning on Perron. Skanko we don't know if 1) he is ever coming to America and 2) we don't know if he can adapt to North American style of play. If they both come back to bit me in the a$$ for saying that so be it. I just think a player with Nash's ability (please insert Gaborik or Parise here if you like) would make us legit Cup contenders this year and we are not robbing our future with getting rid of those two.
You could convince me on Perron or Tarasenko, but not both. There's no way I'd give up both of them for Nash. Perron, I'd do because he's close enough in age to Nash without having proven he can be Nash, and Tarasenko I'd do because he hasn't even arrived in the US yet. But, the two combined is very lopsided IMO.

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

cardsfan04 wrote:
thedoc wrote:
You could convince me on Perron or Tarasenko, but not both. There's no way I'd give up both of them for Nash. Perron, I'd do because he's close enough in age to Nash without having proven he can be Nash, and Tarasenko I'd do because he hasn't even arrived in the US yet. But, the two combined is very lopsided IMO.
Again all we are doing is killing time and speculating. IMO as of today 2/15/12 this would more or less be trading Perron straight up for Nash because as I said we don't even know if Tarasenko is coming to the US. We assume he is especially with his dad's situation but we don't know for sure. If given the choice between the Cup this year or 2-3 years down the road...well I think you know my vote. But again we are just having some fun playing what if.

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

DaDitka wrote:
fargoblues wrote:Watch how Nash played last night.

Yeah, cause so many Blues played better last night. :facepalm:

We can 'discuss' what we would or would not give up for him...that's a matter of opinion.

What's not a matter of opinion is that Nash would instantly be one of the top two or three forwards on this team.
No disagreement on the Blues play last night, and absolutely no disagreement that the discussion is a good one. I'm simply stating my opinion that Nash is not a player I want on the Blues. I probably should have been more descriptive.

It is my opinion that he would indeed be a top three forward in terms of talent, but he is a non-starter in terms of attitude. Unless he was able to have a Brett Hull in Dallas-like change of heart as far as defensive responsibilities and work ethic, there's no way I sew his name on a jersey with a note on the front.

</$0.02>
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

Leedog
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Leedog »

The BJ's could play Bishop in enuff games to keep him as a RF. STL can't. What is the dif, prorated for the rest of the year between Nash and Stewart? Prolly not more than 2 mil. And he is signed for the future. To keep Stewart as RFA he would get a raise next year regardless of having a shitty year. Maybe not that far fetched to offer Stewart, Bishop, and a 3 or something. Look what crap we got for Pronger! Ya think the Oilers fans thought that pile of shit would land him before it actually did?
Unofficial sponsor of Sarah Palin for PILF '12