Bishop to Senators?

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Bishop to Senators?

Post by Oaklandblue »

glen a richter wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:I'm probably in the minority by saying this, but I wouldn't have let Bishop go until after the end of the season. We've already had to call him up when Jaro was out with the flu. All it's going to take, God Forbid, is for Ells or Halak to get hurt and the other to get peppered in the playoffs. Who do we got NHL ready to put between the pipes in the playoffs if this happens? Allen?

I'd have dealt him at the end of the season and we'd still would have gotten a pick from someone. I wouldn't have moved him now unless it was in a package and we got something tangible to help make a push. I feel like we made a play for the future in any event, but we're trying to win the Cup now, so this isn't going to help with that.
I don't really think that was an option. As Blues fans, we're pretty numb to playoff letdowns, so the worst that could happen is we get swept out in the first round again. Meanwhile, also losing Bishop for either nothing or a worse pick. Best of luck to Big Ben, this was the only real option. I don't think we're exactly making a push for the cup this season.
Being numb is one thing, being stupid is another. This was stupid. We have someone clubs are lusting for and you're telling me we couldn't package him with two other players and some picks to get a 2nd or 3rd line playmaker or sniper? We need goals, not picks. I'm tired of this 'tomorrow' mentality. Someday, tomorrow has to be today. When someday is always someday, I call that never. I seriously hope the FO has a battle plan that negates the stupidity of another pick that'll play and be "Developed" in Peoria and be another 3rd or 4th line bottom feeder.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Oaklandblue wrote:
glen a richter wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:I'm probably in the minority by saying this, but I wouldn't have let Bishop go until after the end of the season. We've already had to call him up when Jaro was out with the flu. All it's going to take, God Forbid, is for Ells or Halak to get hurt and the other to get peppered in the playoffs. Who do we got NHL ready to put between the pipes in the playoffs if this happens? Allen?

I'd have dealt him at the end of the season and we'd still would have gotten a pick from someone. I wouldn't have moved him now unless it was in a package and we got something tangible to help make a push. I feel like we made a play for the future in any event, but we're trying to win the Cup now, so this isn't going to help with that.
I don't really think that was an option. As Blues fans, we're pretty numb to playoff letdowns, so the worst that could happen is we get swept out in the first round again. Meanwhile, also losing Bishop for either nothing or a worse pick. Best of luck to Big Ben, this was the only real option. I don't think we're exactly making a push for the cup this season.
Being numb is one thing, being stupid is another. This was stupid. We have someone clubs are lusting for and you're telling me we couldn't package him with two other players and some picks to get a 2nd or 3rd line playmaker or sniper? We need goals, not picks. I'm tired of this 'tomorrow' mentality. Someday, tomorrow has to be today. When someday is always someday, I call that never. I seriously hope the FO has a battle plan that negates the stupidity of another pick that'll play and be "Developed" in Peoria and be another 3rd or 4th line bottom feeder.
Can you throw some names out there? In theory, I like what you're saying. In reality, I'm not sure how you would like them to have done this.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

So he was a third-rounder in 2005. And after seven years of investment, we get a second-rounder for him. Sounds like we broke even. Maybe. Nothing to write home about.
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

Oaklandblue wrote:
glen a richter wrote:

I don't understand the mentality of making a big trade. Getting a goal-scorer right now, even if Bishop was included in the trade, means moving assets that are on the big club right now. Besides Columbus, all the sellers at the deadline this year are wanting NHL talent in return. I don't know about you, but sitting in the top-five in the NHL sounds pretty good to me. Making a big move and messing with this chemistry sounds like a death-sentence.

We couldn't wait until after the season to move Bishop. If you wait until the draft, all that you are trading away are his negotiating rights until July 1. He would have become a Group 6 unrestricted free-agent, meaning that the team acquiring him would have under a month to work a deal. Do you know what the return for a situation like that usually is? A 7th or 8th rounder. I'll take the 2nd rounder over that any day.

You get more value for him now because part of the deal was negotiating with Bishop BEFORE the deal went down. Bishop probably wouldn't be interested in that in June since it is so close to the free-agency period. By that time, most players are already setting their sights on seeing what they can get in July.
2009-10 LGB Sponsor of Davis "Major" Payne
2010-11 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2011-12 LGB Sponsor of NHL All-Star Brian Elliott
2012-13 LGB Sponsor of Jaroslav Halak

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

Halak and Elliot are both 26 and total badasses...
Bishop is 25 and has barely played in the NHL.
I dont get why people are upset about this?

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Here is an interesting side note...

The Senators now have both Ben Bishop (former Kirkwood goalie) and Mike McKenna (born in St Louis) in their system.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

glen a richter wrote:
kodos wrote:That's a damn good return for him I think. It's too bad he never got a shot here, but ultimately this is the kind of problem you want your team to have.

A 2nd in 2013 is really not going to have any impact for a long time though.
Maybe they'll tank next season and it'll be the 31st overall pick.
One can hope. It doesn't take much for the boomerang to come back around in the NHL anymore (see, e.g. Colorado). Can be great one year and suck the next.

Plus the Eastern Conference teams rack up less points anyway so I think it'll be solidly in the 40-50th overall range. Not bad.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

ProngerBlues44 wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:
glen a richter wrote:

I don't understand the mentality of making a big trade. Getting a goal-scorer right now, even if Bishop was included in the trade, means moving assets that are on the big club right now. Besides Columbus, all the sellers at the deadline this year are wanting NHL talent in return. I don't know about you, but sitting in the top-five in the NHL sounds pretty good to me. Making a big move and messing with this chemistry sounds like a death-sentence.

We couldn't wait until after the season to move Bishop. If you wait until the draft, all that you are trading away are his negotiating rights until July 1. He would have become a Group 6 unrestricted free-agent, meaning that the team acquiring him would have under a month to work a deal. Do you know what the return for a situation like that usually is? A 7th or 8th rounder. I'll take the 2nd rounder over that any day.

You get more value for him now because part of the deal was negotiating with Bishop BEFORE the deal went down. Bishop probably wouldn't be interested in that in June since it is so close to the free-agency period. By that time, most players are already setting their sights on seeing what they can get in July.
Amen to this.
Krigloch the Furious wrote:Halak and Elliot are both 26 and total badasses...
Bishop is 25 and has barely played in the NHL.
I dont get why people are upset about this?
And amen to this.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

Great, the Blues just turned Bishop into a floater from Russia who will play that "Will he or won't he" game for three years before coming over, being demoted to Peoria, and ultimately jumping ship in December 2017. Bishop at this time will have won 2 Vezinas and 1 Cup.

Great job LEEERRRYY!!! :doh:
Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

ohio BLUES wrote:Great, the Blues just turned Bishop into a floater from Russia who will play that "Will he or won't he" game for three years before coming over, being demoted to Peoria, and ultimately jumping ship in December 2017. Bishop at this time will have won 2 Vezinas and 1 Cup.

What??

The Blues currently have 2 of the top 5 goaltenders in the league and turned a 2012 unrestricted free agent into a 2nd round draft pick. No way was Bishop going to meet the games played requirement to prevent becoming a UFA. No guarantees on where the Blues budget will be with a new ownership group, which probably would not want to get into a bidding war for a goalie who would not likely even make the starting NHL club next season. So.... the Blues got something for nothing.

Great job, Armstrong!!!
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

theohall wrote:
ohio BLUES wrote:Great, the Blues just turned Bishop into a floater from Russia who will play that "Will he or won't he" game for three years before coming over, being demoted to Peoria, and ultimately jumping ship in December 2017. Bishop at this time will have won 2 Vezinas and 1 Cup.

What??

The Blues currently have 2 of the top 5 goaltenders in the league and turned a 2012 unrestricted free agent into a 2nd round draft pick. No way was Bishop going to meet the games played requirement to prevent becoming a UFA. No guarantees on where the Blues budget will be with a new ownership group, which probably would not want to get into a bidding war for a goalie who would not likely even make the starting NHL club next season. So.... the Blues got something for nothing.

Great job, Armstrong!!!
And Brian Elliott could be hit by a car tomorrow morning in Calgary, then we'd really be fuxxed, eh? I guess we could put a placard with the inscription of "2013 second round pick" in goal though.

/trolling off

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Army is an idiot. Why we don't have 6 NHL-caliber goalies ready for the playoffs is a HUGE gamble that no respectable GM would take.

Bring back LEEERY
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

goon attack wrote:Army is an idiot. Why we don't have 6 NHL-caliber goalies ready for the playoffs is a HUGE gamble that no respectable GM would take.

Bring back LEEERY
:lol: :lol: :lol:

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

I wanted Sean Burke.

Jeebus Leeeeeeery!

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

goon attack wrote:Army is an idiot. Why we don't have 6 NHL-caliber goalies ready for the playoffs is a HUGE gamble that no respectable GM would take.

Bring back LEEERY

Thank God for this post!

I'm pretty sure if I would have read one more dumb-azz post in this thread my laptop would be in pieces right now.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

DaDitka wrote:

Bring back LEEERY

Thank God for this post!

I'm pretty sure if I would have read one more dumb-azz post in this thread my laptop would be in pieces right now.
But a meteor could crash here on Earth shattering into two pieces as it entered our atmosphere and both pieces would hit Halak and Elliott's houses and then what would we do oh my god we need to trade for a goalie now!

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

dmiles2186 wrote:
DaDitka wrote:

Bring back LEEERY

Thank God for this post!

But a meteor could crash here on Earth shattering into two pieces as it entered our atmosphere and both pieces would hit Halak and Elliott's houses and then what would we do oh my god we need to trade for a goalie now!
:plusplus:

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

I can maybe understand a discussion that we could have gotten more (I'm happy with a 2nd rounder, but that's me)...but some are upset we didn't flat out keep him?

Really??

We have Elliott and Halak...the best goaltending combo in the NHL...and we have both under contract for years still. So we already have goaltender insurance...if one gets hurt or falters, we have the other to fall back on. THAT is our insurance. Keeping two insurance policies in net would be a waste of an asset, especially when one isn't on the roster AND you can move that player for a decent draft pick, AND that player is going to be lost for nothing in the offseason.

I'm not sure where the Bishop love comes from. Yes, he has had a very nice year in the AHL, but in a mere 13 games up here, he hasn't been great...it's not like he tore it up when in his limited time here. Being good in the AHL is one thing, but being good in the NHL is quite another.

Besides...Jake Allen may be the guy to replace Elliott or Halak 3 or 4 years from now if we decide not to resign either. OR, if Elliott or Halak are still tearing it up then, and if Allen is "NHL-ready", then we have another asset we can trade.

I was hoping for a package deal that brought in a scorer, like most folks were, but the self-imposed cap and financial situation with the team for sale, is a huge roadblock.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

Something else to think about -- Bishop was selected in the 3rd round, 85th overall, in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft. We just got a 2nd rounder for him. So we moved a talent that was not needed on the big club for a future talent that very well could be used on the big club. Just sayin'

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

Bishop was never going to re-sign here. He's ready to play in the NHL, and the Blues don't need him in the NHL.

It would be career suicide to sign a contract in St. Louis so he can stay down in the AHL. He can't wait around forever.

He was gone.

So we traded the backup to our backup, a guy with 13 games of NHL experience, a guy who would have been with the team for 3 months... for a 2nd round pick.

That's pretty damn good.

Not only that, what a fantastic problem to have. Oh no, we have TOO MANY good goaltenders in our system, we can't even hold on to them all... OH NO!