Bishop to Senators?

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Oz-iz-God
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Re: Bishop to Senators?

Post by Oz-iz-God »

I swear, OaklandBlue is the most consistently and militantly incorrect person I have ever encountered on the interwebs.

His ability to miss steadily the mark and yet continue on in the face of all evidence to the contrary is truly commendable.
[Aode] 10:34 pm: well, if I find cornhole anywhere, I'll try it and let you know

It could always be worse, I could be a Cubs fan. (But please, if you could spare me the parallels between the respective organizations, I'd really appreciate it).

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

kodos wrote:Not only that, what a fantastic problem to have. Oh no, we have TOO MANY good goaltenders in our system, we can't even hold on to them all... OH NO!
What a difference two years makes.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

dmiles2186 wrote:
DaDitka wrote:[

But a meteor could crash here on Earth shattering into two pieces as it entered our atmosphere and both pieces would hit Halak and Elliott's houses and then what would we do oh my god we need to trade for a goalie now!
If that happens then I will say your right. I can't believe some of the piece of $hit posts I have read on here on this thread. I really hope some of you are high.

Official Sponsor of "The Barn"
2013-2014 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2010-2011 Official Sponsor of Brad Winchester
2009-2010 Official Sponsor of Paul Kariya

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

This is odd. Bishop is being assigned to their AHL affiliate, not Ottawa. I don't know much about Lerner, but everything I have read suggests Bishop is clearly more NHL ready than he is.

Maybe they want Bishop to get playing time, but weren't ready to make him their number 1?
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

Oz-iz-God wrote:I swear, OaklandBlue is the most consistently and militantly incorrect person I have ever encountered on the interwebs.

His ability to miss steadily the mark and yet continue on in the face of all evidence to the contrary is truly commendable.
What, the fact I'd rather we didnt do a package and got a mid-line playmaker is missing the mark?

Okay, we got a pick, yay for whatever we get for the draft, good for tomorrow. This is today. We need help now. I'm wrong because I'd put something together to try and get a mid-line playmaker or sniper? With the lines we got and the players we got, you telling me a playmaker would have a hard time turning setups into goals here? We going to pray that netminding and d runs us through the playoffs? Well, okay, netminding and D can take us to the show but only goals WIN games.

But I'm wrong.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

Oz-iz-God
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Oz-iz-God »

Every statement you ever seem to make has something to do with the inevitability of Halak imploding.

Jeff Carter and his billion dollar contract just netted Jack Johnson AND a first round pick. He has arguably the worst contract in the NHL and the Kings just gave up the equivalent of Shattenkirk and a first rounder for him because he has 'potential'.

Have you paid any attention at all to what guys are going for? This is a massive seller's market right now. Bishop and 'some guys' isn't going to get us a damn thing in terms of a player that can help us immediately. The market for those guys is absolutely insane and we simply can't afford to play. However, picks are going cheap. Moving an asset we were going to lose for a pick was a great return given the situation we find ourselves in.

You're wrong because you're unreasonable. Always.
[Aode] 10:34 pm: well, if I find cornhole anywhere, I'll try it and let you know

It could always be worse, I could be a Cubs fan. (But please, if you could spare me the parallels between the respective organizations, I'd really appreciate it).

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

My biggest problem with the collective Blues fan is this: we want the Stanley Cup NOW. We expect this team to go from 10th or 11th in the West to Stanley Cup winner. That is not how this normally works.

Winning the Stanley Cup is a process. You don't just go from 0 playoff wins in 7 seasons to 16 wins in one post-season.

Yes, this team has scoring issues. But look at how far we have gone in one season. This rebuild is finally paying off. Why can't we just be proud of our boys for finally showing us how good they are and not how good they can be?

Here is what I hope the team does: Don't make a move now (unless its a minor move to unload someone we don't plan on re-signing in the off-season), get an owner for Christ's sake, then look to making some additions after the playoffs. Let's see what these guys can do in the post-season since this is what we have been watching all season long.

I don't know... maybe I'm just too much of a believer in these guys. I just feel like we have a good thing going. This has been the most excited I've been for this team since 2000-01.
2009-10 LGB Sponsor of Davis "Major" Payne
2010-11 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2011-12 LGB Sponsor of NHL All-Star Brian Elliott
2012-13 LGB Sponsor of Jaroslav Halak

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

cardsfan04 wrote:This is odd. Bishop is being assigned to their AHL affiliate, not Ottawa. I don't know much about Lerner, but everything I have read suggests Bishop is clearly more NHL ready than he is.

Maybe they want Bishop to get playing time, but weren't ready to make him their number 1?
Not that odd.

The Senators had Craig Anderson and Alex Auld as their NHL goalies. Craig Anderson just went on IR. Alex Auld has been horrible as the backup this season which was why Anderson had started 56 games. They brought up Robin Lehner and acquired Bishop. Lehner has just under 2 seasons at the AHL level. They wanted someone with more experience to backup/replace Auld. Bishop couldn't join the team quickly enough after the trade, which was why Lehner got that start. Lehner did well enough (granted it was the Islanders he faced) he will probably get another look. Meanwhile, they don't want Bishop idling on the bench, so he takes Lehner's starting role at Binghamton until Lehner falters.

Acquiring Bishop, while signing him to only a 1 year contract puts pressure on Bishop to compete next season with Lehner and vice versa for Lehner. This was a concern the Ottawa GM, Brian Murray, specifically mentioned in an interview on NHL Radio - putting pressure on Lehner to work harder and having someone in place in case that pressure failed. Odds are the Sens part ways with Auld and Bishop or Lehner will become Craig Anderson's backup. The move was a depth for next season/protection from injury this season type of deal.

The Blues will have 3 "competing" goalies next season between Halak, Elliott and Allen, but we all know Halak and Elliott have those jobs. The Sens needed depth at goalie and got one of the most experienced goalie prospects. I won't go so far as to say "best" goalie prospect, because Bishop struggled last season at the NHL level when the Blues needed him to step up.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

And Bishop has been called up, while Robin Lehner has been reassigned to the AHL club.

xbleed83bluex
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by xbleed83bluex »

Given how high Elliot's trade value has become this season, I would have traded Elliot for a couple of first round picks and a scorer, and brought Bishop up as the backup. I'd hate to see Elliot go, but you have to trade value to get value, and considering our goaltending on this team, I'd say we could have gotten away with letting him go for a couple first rounders.
Official 2011-'12 sponsor of the hot chick from the FSMW Blues commercials.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

xbleed83bluex wrote:Given how high Elliot's trade value has become this season, I would have traded Elliot for a couple of first round picks and a scorer, and brought Bishop up as the backup. I'd hate to see Elliot go, but you have to trade value to get value, and considering our goaltending on this team, I'd say we could have gotten away with letting him go for a couple first rounders.
Salary issues aside (which are probably enough to prevent that trade alone), there's pretty much no way in hell Elliot would have gotten multiple first rounders and then a scorer to boot. I don't think you could even get away with that in NHL 12.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

cardsfan04 wrote:
xbleed83bluex wrote:Given how high Elliot's trade value has become this season, I would have traded Elliot for a couple of first round picks and a scorer, and brought Bishop up as the backup. I'd hate to see Elliot go, but you have to trade value to get value, and considering our goaltending on this team, I'd say we could have gotten away with letting him go for a couple first rounders.
Salary issues aside (which are probably enough to prevent that trade alone), there's pretty much no way in hell Elliot would have gotten multiple first rounders and then a scorer to boot. I don't think you could even get away with that in NHL 12.
You wouldn't get multiple first rounders and a scorer for Elliott.
He's been great, no doubt, but he hasn't done this over a full season.
Maybe if he keeps this up next year and Halak is still dominating and Allen is ready to back up Halak, and you have an offer for a nice pick and a scorer to fill a need, then maybe...but I dunno. Elliott could very well replace Halak when his contract is up in a few years.
I think when you have elite depth in goal, you don't just give it up right away. It is the most important position and a huge reason why we are 1st overall right now.
I say you roll with it.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

This team won't need to import a scorer next season, we'll have Tarasenko to score 50, routinely.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

glen a richter wrote:This team won't need to import a scorer next season, we'll have Tarasenko to score 50, routinely.

It will be his first year in America, so I may temper those expectation to closer to 40 for next year. :letsgoblues:

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

DaDitka wrote:
glen a richter wrote:This team won't need to import a scorer next season, we'll have Tarasenko to score 50, routinely.

It will be his first year in America, so I may temper those expectation to closer to 40 for next year. :letsgoblues:
If he's not this year's Stamkos in year 1, send him back home!! :letsgoblues:
Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Bishop still surrendered 3 goals on 28 shots in his first start and the Senators almost blew a 3-0 lead. This was essentially the same thing Bishop did when he was with the Blues last season. He was surrendering 3 or more goals a game, which is something the Blues cannot do and win games. Not impressed, yet.

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

theohall wrote:Bishop still surrendered 3 goals on 28 shots in his first start and the Senators almost blew a 3-0 lead. This was essentially the same thing Bishop did when he was with the Blues last season. He was surrendering 3 or more goals a game, which is something the Blues cannot do and win games. Not impressed, yet.
I really don't know how those shots got through him, either. He managed to be smaller in the net than he is, which is remarkable.
Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock