What are your expectations for this postseason?

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: What are your expectations for this postseason?

Post by ohio BLUES »

fargoblues wrote:
DaDitka wrote:
cprice12 wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:I want and expect to get out of the first round. Beyond that, I have no expectations. I would like to at LEAST get 6-7 games into the 2nd round. We get to that point this year I'll be happy.

</realist>
I'll give you a "realist" statement...
Fans of teams in contention for the President's trophy should not be happy with a 2nd round exit.

Yup, conference championship round should be any fan/annalist/players lowest expectations. From there out, it's a crap shoot.
Anna list? Is that thread active again?
And if not, why not?
Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

cprice12 wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:I want and expect to get out of the first round. Beyond that, I have no expectations. I would like to at LEAST get 6-7 games into the 2nd round. We get to that point this year I'll be happy.

</realist>
I'll give you a "realist" statement...
Fans of teams in contention for the President's trophy should not be happy with a 2nd round exit.
You're right, I should've said pessimistic.

Even still: with as BAD as they looked last playoff go-around (granted, years ago), general lack of playoff experience and a generally poor franchise playoff history, I cannot say I EXPECT them to get to the Conference Finals.

I'll be ecstatic to be proven wrong but I just don't think it will happen. This year.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

Oz-iz-God
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Oz-iz-God »

This sounds a hell of a lot like being a Mizzou basketball fan.

Everyone knew...absolutely knew in their heart of hearts that Mizzou was going to (Frank) it up. Why? Because that's what they do. Nevermind the fact that absolutely nothing in the world made that the rational outcome. Nevermind the fact that there was every reason to believe that this would be the year Mizzou basketball finally made the leap to a legit Final 4 squad (and pulled alongside the evil Beakers...)

Well, we know how that turned out. Mizzou did Mizzou things, our hated rivals did Beaker things.

The Blues will do Blues things. Its what they do.

Doesn't mean I'll enjoy it any less, but the Mizzou thing really broke me as a sports fan. At this point I'm resigned to the fact that some teams simply have a lot in life. The Tigers are one of those teams, the Chiefs and their historic run of playoff failures are one of those team....the Blues are one of those teams.

But hey, if rape is inevitable, you might as well relax and enjoy it, right?
[Aode] 10:34 pm: well, if I find cornhole anywhere, I'll try it and let you know

It could always be worse, I could be a Cubs fan. (But please, if you could spare me the parallels between the respective organizations, I'd really appreciate it).

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

I expect them to play well.

There are lots of bounces in playoff series and odd stuff happens all the time. We get beat, it happens. We win, that's great.

Just show up, play hard, play smart, and don't embarrass us.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

I have a new set of expectations for the team. My goal is for them to do better than they did last year.

So far, they've done that. So I should be happy.

That said, I think the best any hockey fan can hope for is that on the first day of playoffs, you look around the league and can say with 100% certainty that your team has as good of a shot as any other team. Your team is built to win and could very easily win. There is no reason to believe that other teams have an advantage over your team. You are an official "Stanley Cup Contender". Every year there are 4 or 5 of those... and this year, the Blues are in that group.

The top tier.

What will they actually accomplish? Who the hell knows. I've learned that for even the best teams the playoffs are a crap shoot. It takes a great team playing their best and a lot of luck to win it all.

The Blues have as good of a shot as anyone, and I'm happy with that.

If they can win one round, I'll consider this season a big success and look forward to the next season. If they burn out in the first round, I'll take that as a rather large black eye on this great season.

I guess my expectations are pretty low.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

I expect us to make it to the finals.

While I'm not a huge Halak fan, Halak in the playoffs is like money in the bank. Elliott does nothing but give us incredible depth at goal and make the oppposition wonder 'Do we REALLY want to blast Halak when his backup man is the Real Deal?'. In a year where the #1 netminders have fallen down like flies to injuries and lackluster seasons, we're walking in with the best, which has to intimidate the opposition, and with our D looking top drawer and with Hitch at the Helm (whose won Cups based on D) this could be our year.

I'm not insomuch concerned with our intermittent scoring offense, to be honest. The playoffs change everything and I feel when we hit the postseason people like Stewart will pick up their game and catch fire because now it's for The Cup. And if you're not passionate about that, frankly you shouldn't be playing Hockey.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Oaklandblue wrote:I expect us to make it to the finals.

While I'm not a huge Halak fan, Halak in the playoffs is like money in the bank. Elliott does nothing but give us incredible depth at goal and make the oppposition wonder 'Do we REALLY want to blast Halak when his backup man is the Real Deal?'. In a year where the #1 netminders have fallen down like flies to injuries and lackluster seasons, we're walking in with the best, which has to intimidate the opposition, and with our D looking top drawer and with Hitch at the Helm (whose won Cups based on D) this could be our year.

I'm not insomuch concerned with our intermittent scoring offense, to be honest. The playoffs change everything and I feel when we hit the postseason people like Stewart will pick up their game and catch fire because now it's for The Cup. And if you're not passionate about that, frankly you shouldn't be playing Hockey.
What do you mean by the bolded? I can't imagine any team in the history of sports saying "we shouldn't score because it will be hard to score on the replacement."
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

cardsfan04 wrote:

What do you mean by the bolded? I can't imagine any team in the history of sports saying "we shouldn't score because it will be hard to score on the replacement."
Halak in the playoffs is pure awesome. The regular season I cringe whenever he's in goal, not going to lie, but he's totally different in the offseason, at least what I've seen when he was a Hab. I trust him between the pipes a heck of a lot more in the postseason. But how many teams can say, based on stats, is the better netminder? You don't think that'll play a psychological effect on the opposition? I think it might, especially in Halak plays like Habs Halak, which I expect. Because if they are able to blast Halak, there is NO relief for them and they know it. I didn't say it to diss Halak, I said it because for the first time period, we can't lose at goal. If Halak fails, which I seriously doubt, we got a backup whose going to hang tough and dominate. If we win the Cup, it's going to be because of both of them, not one or the other.

EDIT: I didn't exactly answer your question, sorry :(. I'll put it this way, would a team prefer to play against Rinne or his backup? If Rinne got blasted, the opposition would be relieved that they're getting the backup. They do that to us and regardless who we got between the pipes, the opposition's situation doesn't improve, it just gets worse :).
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

I expect a first round win. That's it.

I don't know whether it's because I'm completely jaded or bitter or what. But I can't expect a team that has so little playoff experience to win the whole thing. I mean, it could happen. They might be young enough that they don't even know to be worried about playoff hockey. But they might find out that they're going to need a year to get ready to play in it.
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

xbleed83bluex
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by xbleed83bluex »

Sorry for being a pessimist here but I don't think we'll get very far. It'll most likely be another first round loss. We have the goaltending and defense, but we lack scoring. Big time. The Blues are now on a winless streak right before the playoffs because they can't score. We need an offensive superstar; we lack that guy who can give us 30+ goals every season. Depth with a bunch of guys scoring 15-20 goals a season isn't going to cut it in the playoffs.

We don't even have an offensive favorite like we had with Hull. There's no one offensive guy that stands out. I hope I'm wrong, though.
Official 2011-'12 sponsor of the hot chick from the FSMW Blues commercials.

sparty09
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by sparty09 »

At this point, I just pray that they make it to the second round.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

you pansies need to buck up. a few late season losses are no big deal.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Oaklandblue wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:

Halak in the playoffs is pure awesome. The regular season I cringe whenever he's in goal, not going to lie, but he's totally different in the offseason, at least what I've seen when he was a Hab. I trust him between the pipes a heck of a lot more in the postseason. But how many teams can say, based on stats, is the better netminder? You don't think that'll play a psychological effect on the opposition? I think it might, especially in Halak plays like Habs Halak, which I expect. Because if they are able to blast Halak, there is NO relief for them and they know it. I didn't say it to diss Halak, I said it because for the first time period, we can't lose at goal. If Halak fails, which I seriously doubt, we got a backup whose going to hang tough and dominate. If we win the Cup, it's going to be because of both of them, not one or the other.

EDIT: I didn't exactly answer your question, sorry :(. I'll put it this way, would a team prefer to play against Rinne or his backup? If Rinne got blasted, the opposition would be relieved that they're getting the backup. They do that to us and regardless who we got between the pipes, the opposition's situation doesn't improve, it just gets worse :).
Have to repeat this. What was Halak's GA in his first 3 playoff games and his last 5 playoff games. Then come back and tell me how "awesome" Halak is in the playoffs. He had a great run in the middle of those 8 games but was far from just outright awesome overall in the playoffs. It was ONE playoff season. ONE. And the thing is - he was the backup playing better than the starter, so he got the playoff nod. Asking this again - if Elliott is playing better than Halak, why should he not get the playoff nod, just like the opportunity Halak received in Montreal? Basing it on one playoff season is ridiculous, especially considering how poorly Halak started and finished that playoff season. Were Halak a proven multiple playoffs successful goaltender, I would believe he should start. He is not PROVEN yet. ONE playoff season does not prove crap about a goaltender.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

goon attack wrote:you pansies need to buck up. a few late season losses are no big deal.
I just hope they are limping into the playoffs to amaze us. A convincing win tonight would be huge.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

xbleed83bluex
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by xbleed83bluex »

Off topic, but I get castrated every time I make a new thread.

Does anyone know off hand what the mezzanine level playoff prices are going for?
Official 2011-'12 sponsor of the hot chick from the FSMW Blues commercials.

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

As of a few days ago, only single seats were available and they were like 65 bucks.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

xbleed83bluex wrote:Off topic, but I get castrated every time I make a new thread.

Does anyone know off hand what the mezzanine level playoff prices are going for?
Face for my dad's and my seats w/o buying a strip is $55 for round 1 and $59 for round 2. On Stubhub, I've seen them going for $75-125+.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

xbleed83bluex wrote:Sorry for being a pessimist here but I don't think we'll get very far. It'll most likely be another first round loss. We have the goaltending and defense, but we lack scoring. Big time. The Blues are now on a winless streak right before the playoffs because they can't score. We need an offensive superstar; we lack that guy who can give us 30+ goals every season. Depth with a bunch of guys scoring 15-20 goals a season isn't going to cut it in the playoffs.

We don't even have an offensive favorite like we had with Hull. There's no one offensive guy that stands out. I hope I'm wrong, though.
I'd love an offensive star on this team....however...
We had a team with Shanahan & Hull up front, and we never got to the 3rd round.

Would anyone be surprised if the Capitals with their offensive weapons lost in the 1st round?

I know you have to score to win...but everyone knows defense & goaltending is what wins in the playoffs.
And who has the best defense and goaltending in the NHL?
That's right.

I'd rather have what we have, than a team with some offensive superstars that can't keep the puck out of the net. We've had that before and never did anything with it.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

Steve Levy Sucks
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Steve Levy Sucks »

My expectations are that the Blues will lose to the Sharks and the Wings will beat the Preds. I have no other expectations than to be chided for these expectations.

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

Steve Levy Sucks wrote:My expectations are that the Blues will lose to the Sharks and the Wings will beat the Preds. I have no other expectations than to be chided for these expectations.
Expected.
Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock