What are your expectations for this postseason?

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

What are your expectations for this postseason?

Post by goon attack »

Yeah, we've been here before... winning the President's Trophy (2000) or being close to it (1991, 1981[no actual trophy that year])... three flameouts. :facepalm:

So should we be expecting the Cup finally? Will you be pleased with less?

I want the motherfranking Cup and I want it now. I will settle for nothing less.

If they make it to the Conference Final, I guess it will be some good experience for some young players, but I say frank that... WIN IT NOW GOD DAMNIT!!!!!!!!!!!

:goblues:
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: What are your expectations for this postseason?

Post by cardsfan04 »

If they make it to the conference finals, I'll be satisfied, especially if they make it deep in the series. I mean, I'll be disappointed because I think we can win the cup. But, if we win 2 series, I think that's a good building block for next year. So, I can accept that.

I'm trying to decide about the second round. Like, say we lose to Rinne in 7 and he's just unbelievably zoned in. I mean, the bar clearly has to be set higher than that, but not all round 2 exits will frustrate me equally.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

Advancement into round 2 and nothing more. I'm not setting my hopes up too far.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

Carl Racki
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Carl Racki »

Screw the playof experience argument. Ever since the advent of the cap, the NHL has looked more and more like the nfl. No matter how the blues project for the future, who's to say they will ever go into another post-season with not one but two goalies who actually have a sack?

They have as good a chance as any Blues team I've seen to go all the way. So, screw the "get experience" argument. Win. The. Whole. Mother(franking). Thing.

F Keenan
All-Star
All-Star

Post by F Keenan »

[youtube][/youtube]
*I tend to only post on this site when I'm intoxicated.

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

:cup:
Nothing less.

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

Two hawt fsmw girls, one cup.

Wait, what was the question?
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

To me, the only concern is which Blues offense shows up. There have been several streaks this season (even recently) of particularly low goal production. As long as the guys are putting the puck in the net, I see no reason we can't beat any other team in a 7-game series.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

I'm trying to temper my expectations, but I can't help get excited about the possibilities. It won't be the end of the world if they don't win the Cup, but I'm trying to just ride the wave with this team and enjoy it.

Once the first round matchups are set up, I will have more of an idea. But there are a lot of good teams in the West (duh), it will be a rough and tumble road no matter who they face.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

If we do finish first overall, and we don't win it all, we'll have been knocked out by a team we were supposed to be better than. That will be a failure, IMO.

When you finish as high as the Blues are going to finish, winning the cup should be the goal.

This is the most impressive Blues team I have ever seen. Yes, we probably won't finish with quite as many points as the other President's Cup team, but this team is far superior in net, and that is our ace in the hole this year. Defense and goaltending win in the playoffs. We have the best goaltending in the NHL that is pitching shutouts seemingly every other night, and our defensive system is water tight. And add to that... as long as we don't suffer any more injuries, we should be healthy going into the playoffs.

Steen, McDonald, & Polak healthy and in the lineup AND the best goaltending in the NHL?

Forget about it. Expectations should be sky high. But I understand some fans having reservations and being cautiously optimistic with how this franchise has disappointed in the playoffs in the past. But this team is different...and really, a team's lackluster performance in the playoffs 12 years ago, has absolutely nothing to do with how this team will perform.

Most experts are probably going to pick the Rangers to win the cup...which is fine by me. I don't think we need a bunch of "experts" telling our guys they're going to win the cup. It's best to go in with a tiny chip on your shoulder.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

:cup:

^^
Last edited by ohio BLUES on Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

Avoid the sweep, since we couldn't do it last time.

Official Sponsor of "The Barn"
2013-2014 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2010-2011 Official Sponsor of Brad Winchester
2009-2010 Official Sponsor of Paul Kariya

sparty09
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by sparty09 »

At the beginning of the season, we would have been happy to see them just to make the playoffs or to even win a series. At this point, it has to be the cup. We don't know what will happen in the future, but I doubt that we will see a team as cup-ready as this one anytime soon. Sure, it's possible that they have a worse regular season next year and wind up winning the whole thing, but this team has to be the team. The LA Kings have given up the second fewest goals in the NHL at 165 in 77 games. The Blues have given up 147 in 77. That is just complete dominance. I'm not worried about the offense in the playoffs. They obviously aren't an offensive juggernaut, but this team has been, by far, the best defensive team in the NHL this year and that's what's going to bring them the cup.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Selective quoting follows...
cprice12 wrote:This is the most impressive Blues team I have ever seen. Defense and goaltending win in the playoffs.
I have been following the Blues since approximately 1977 when a friend of my father took me to a game. Been hooked ever since. Had season tickets from 1989-1992 - yes, the midst of the Brett Hull "area."

The key difference between what I see now and what the Blues had then - defense, goaltending, and multi-line depth. When MacDonald returns, the Blues will be capable of rolling THREE scoring lines and only one checking line while having solid defense behind them. Those Hull teams had one scoring line, three checking lines and one really good defensive pairing. While some are somewhat critical of the Blues current 3rd defensive pairing, I would take them over any of the 4 guys who were playing in the Brian Sutter coaching area.

Defense and goaltending win championships. This has been true for who knows how long? Yes, the Oilers won 5 Cups in their ridiculous offensive era, but they also lost several times purely due to teams having better goaltending and defense.

This is by far the best Blues team I have ever seen - going on 35 years of following the Blues and understanding the game.

I expect them to make the Finals. Winning the Cup?? Not so sure, because the other team is just as likely to have good goaltending and all it takes is a goalie being hot to win a series.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

I think expectations were made perfectly clear as long ago as last summer:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29081&hilit=+cloud

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

I want and expect to get out of the first round. Beyond that, I have no expectations. I would like to at LEAST get 6-7 games into the 2nd round. We get to that point this year I'll be happy.

</realist>
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

WaukeeBlues wrote:I want and expect to get out of the first round. Beyond that, I have no expectations. I would like to at LEAST get 6-7 games into the 2nd round. We get to that point this year I'll be happy.

</realist>
I'll give you a "realist" statement...
Fans of teams in contention for the President's trophy should not be happy with a 2nd round exit.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

cprice12 wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:I want and expect to get out of the first round. Beyond that, I have no expectations. I would like to at LEAST get 6-7 games into the 2nd round. We get to that point this year I'll be happy.

</realist>
Fans of teams in contention for the President's trophy should not be happy with a 2nd round exit.

Yup, conference championship round should be any fan/annalist/players lowest expectations. From there out, it's a crap shoot.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

DaDitka wrote:
cprice12 wrote:

</realist>

Yup, conference championship round should be any fan/annalist/players lowest expectations. From there out, it's a crap shoot.
Anna list? Is that thread active again?
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Theoretically, this team should be even stronger next season. Realistically, there's no way of knowing. Injuries could rear their ugly heads again, or I guess a whole host of other problems that could arise. That said, this year anything less than the cup would be a disappointment.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024