What are your expectations for this postseason?

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What are your expectations for this postseason?

Post by cprice12 »

Steve Levy Sucks wrote:My expectations are that the Blues will lose to the Sharks and the Wings will beat the Preds. I have no other expectations than to be chided for these expectations.
You and I have the exact opposite expectations.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

xbleed83bluex
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by xbleed83bluex »

cprice12 wrote:
xbleed83bluex wrote:Sorry for being a pessimist here but I don't think we'll get very far. It'll most likely be another first round loss. We have the goaltending and defense, but we lack scoring. Big time. The Blues are now on a winless streak right before the playoffs because they can't score. We need an offensive superstar; we lack that guy who can give us 30+ goals every season. Depth with a bunch of guys scoring 15-20 goals a season isn't going to cut it in the playoffs.

We don't even have an offensive favorite like we had with Hull. There's no one offensive guy that stands out. I hope I'm wrong, though.
I'd love an offensive star on this team....however...
We had a team with Shanahan & Hull up front, and we never got to the 3rd round.

Would anyone be surprised if the Capitals with their offensive weapons lost in the 1st round?

I know you have to score to win...but everyone knows defense & goaltending is what wins in the playoffs.
And who has the best defense and goaltending in the NHL?
That's right.

I'd rather have what we have, than a team with some offensive superstars that can't keep the puck out of the net. We've had that before and never did anything with it.
I agree that goaltending is the most important factor, however, what good is the best goaltending if it remains 0-0 game? Philly has Claude Giroux. Kings have Jeff Carter. Pens have Crosy/Malkin. Leafs have Phil Kessel. Hawks have Sharp/Toews/Kane/Hossa (they are STACKED). And the Rangers roster is equipped with depth, an offensive scorer in Gaborik, great goaldtending equivalent to the Blues. I say we've got our work cut out for us.
Official 2011-'12 sponsor of the hot chick from the FSMW Blues commercials.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

xbleed83bluex wrote:
cprice12 wrote:
xbleed83bluex wrote:Sorry for being a pessimist here but I don't think we'll get very far. It'll most likely be another first round loss. We have the goaltending and defense, but we lack scoring. Big time. The Blues are now on a winless streak right before the playoffs because they can't score. We need an offensive superstar; we lack that guy who can give us 30+ goals every season. Depth with a bunch of guys scoring 15-20 goals a season isn't going to cut it in the playoffs.

We don't even have an offensive favorite like we had with Hull. There's no one offensive guy that stands out. I hope I'm wrong, though.
I'd love an offensive star on this team....however...
We had a team with Shanahan & Hull up front, and we never got to the 3rd round.

Would anyone be surprised if the Capitals with their offensive weapons lost in the 1st round?

I know you have to score to win...but everyone knows defense & goaltending is what wins in the playoffs.
And who has the best defense and goaltending in the NHL?
That's right.

I'd rather have what we have, than a team with some offensive superstars that can't keep the puck out of the net. We've had that before and never did anything with it.
I agree that goaltending is the most important factor, however, what good is the best goaltending if it remains 0-0 game? Philly has Claude Giroux. Kings have Jeff Carter. Pens have Crosy/Malkin. Leafs have Phil Kessel. Hawks have Sharp/Toews/Kane/Hossa (they are STACKED). And the Rangers roster is equipped with depth, an offensive scorer in Gaborik, great goaldtending equivalent to the Blues. I say we've got our work cut out for us.
Here's one example...in 93-94 we had a team with Hull (57 goals), Shanahan (52 goals), Janney (84 pts.)....and we were swept in the 1st round by Dallas.
That team didn't have depth at forward (even with two 50 goal scorers and another 80 pt. guy, they were only 17th in goals scored) and that team didn't have a good defense either (18th in the league).

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a 35+ goal guy or two on the 1st line...I was hoping they would acquire a sniper, but not having one doesn't mean the team is destined to fail because having MORE THAN ONE in the past hasn't meant anything because the team around them wasn't great.

This Blues team is very similar to the 02-03 Devils team that won the cup.
2002-2003 NJ Devils:
108 pts., 1st in their division
GF - 216
GA - 166
0 players with 60+ pts.
7 players with 40+ pts.

2011-2012 St. Louis Blues:
109 pts., 1st in their division
GF - 210
GA - 265
0 players with 60+ pts.
5 players with 40+ pts. (if Steen and McDonald had played the entire season, this team would have 7 players over 40 pts. as well, and one player (maybe two) over 60 pts.)

Solid team defense & goaltending along with adequate depth at forward is a proven recipe for success in the playoffs.
We thought we had a complete team in 99-00, but that team got cocky and lost 3 of the first 4 in the first round before coming back and then losing in 7. I don't see this team being cocky at all...not with Hitchcock behind the bench and guys like Arnott, Langenbrunner & McDonald on this team.

I'm not that worried about the offense. We have enough offense (yes, it would be nice to have more...but it is what it is). If the goaltending plays the way it has all season, we win this series in 5.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

So has anyone forwarded our expectations to the 'Cock and the Blues? :lol:
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

<truth>
[youtube][/youtube]
</truth>
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

cprice12 wrote: I'm not that worried about the offense. We have enough offense (yes, it would be nice to have more...but it is what it is). If the goaltending plays the way it has all season, we win this series in 5.

Yeah, I think this lack of offense thing is servery overblown. We all know what a different player DP has been the last 20+ games, we know how different we look with Andy Mac on the ice, and a guys like Stewart, Bergie, or Steen could easily get hot at any point.

I really do think it will be a guy like that.....Stewart, Bergie, Steen..maybe Arnott...that get's a hot hand and really lifts us offensively.

I know 25 has been a waist all season, but we've seen it before. Bergie has been quite, but you saw the level he can take his game to on the national level last year, Steen was possibly our worst player down the stretch, but that just makes him more 'due' in my book, and when Arnott is working hard and in front of the net he can get on a roll like he did when he scored in four out of five games in mid December.

Often in the playoffs...it's someone outside of the usual suspects that is the difference maker.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

Steve Levy Sucks
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Steve Levy Sucks »

So much for my expectations. Congrats Blues fans, you have a great team and deserve this. I've made some good friends through this site and I am happy you are getting a chance to taste success.

Go Blues!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

what a game!
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

DaDitka wrote: I really do think it will be a guy like that.....Stewart, Bergie, Steen..maybe Arnott...that get's a hot hand and really lifts us offensively.
Well Bergie has certainly been a difference maker, but it's Andy Mac racking up the points.

Also of note was 25's game last night. He was terrible in game three, better in game four, and very good (at a different role) last night. I'm not praising him, but it is certainly a plus.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

DaDitka wrote:
DaDitka wrote: I really do think it will be a guy like that.....Stewart, Bergie, Steen..maybe Arnott...that get's a hot hand and really lifts us offensively.
Well Bergie has certainly been a difference maker, but it's Andy Mac racking up the points.

Also of note was 25's game last night. He was terrible in game three, better in game four, and very good (at a different role) last night. I'm not praising him, but it is certainly a plus.
Other than 25 getting into a fight, what the heck did he do? He was standing around several times in the Blues zone watching Sharks players get pucks on the all while he did nothing. #25 was not the only Blues forward guilty of this, but he is still doing that crap. He still loses the battles on the walls in the offensive zone, this time winding up on his butt, because he missed the hit. And his horrible pass at the blueline to Sobotka, could easily have been a turnover if Sobotka doesn't stop skating to make sure he gets the puck. #25 is clearly the worst forward skating for the Blues right now and is least ice time on the team reflects it. Why he keeps getting to play at all is a mystery to me.

Berglund only has one less point (3G 4A) than Andy Mac (4G 4A) and both are on a better than point per game pace in the playoffs. Also, most of AMac's goals were set up by Berglund. It was Berglund's work on the boards that let's AMac have a chance at getting the empty net goal in this last one.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

theohall wrote: #25 is clearly the worst forward skating for the Blues right now and is least ice time on the team reflects it. Why he keeps getting to play at all is a mystery to me.
Affirmative action
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

theohall wrote:
DaDitka wrote:

Other than 25 getting into a fight, what the heck did he do? He was standing around several times in the Blues zone watching Sharks players get pucks on the all while he did nothing. #25 was not the only Blues forward guilty of this, but he is still doing that crap.

Sorry, I just thought he did a good job of finishing checks and contesting open pucks in the offensive end. I also talked to dadoc who was at the game and he said that Stewie played hard 'off camera as well. I agree, that line if horrible in their own end. It looks like indecision, but for whatever reason, all three of them play quite flat footed in their own end this offseason which is saying something because I thought 44 and 17 were two of our best forwards in their own end during the regular season. I just don't think the three of them are comfortable enough with each other and thus they are paralyzed with indecision in their own end.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Steve Levy Sucks wrote:So much for my expectations. Congrats Blues fans, you have a great team and deserve this. I've made some good friends through this site and I am happy you are getting a chance to taste success.

Go Blues!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pfft...that's no fun. :wink:
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

xbleed83bluex
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by xbleed83bluex »

If we don't make it, we've given our players playoff experience and we've given Elliot experience. Now he has a series win under his belt.

The Blues and the Kings are tied for the longest years a team has existed in the NHL without a cup. If Kings win it before us, we will hold that record. The Kings are on the same boat as us - many successful years with superstars yet couldn't pull the trigger (them - Wayne Gretzsky, us - Brett Hull). So, if we do lose this series, I'll be rooting for the Kings. But until then - let's kick their butt.

Also, if we don't make it, superstar free-agents will start signing with us for cheap since we will be now be a cup-contending team.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

xbleed83bluex wrote: Also, if we don't make it, superstar free-agents will start signing with us for cheap since we will be now be a cup-contending team.
And immediately their production will drop off a cliff. :facepalm:

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

gaijin wrote:
xbleed83bluex wrote: Also, if we don't make it, superstar free-agents will start signing with us for cheap since we will be now be a cup-contending team.
And immediately their production will drop off a cliff. :facepalm:
Did Andy MacDonald's production drop off? I would say, No. He has been injured, but when he has been healthy, he is still the point per game player he has always been.

While Arnott is not a super star - his production essentially matched his two prior seasons - which I find surprising considering how much he dropped off from 4 seasons ago with age catching up to him.

Langenbrunner matched his two seasons, which also dropped off 4 years ago due to aging.

As to the signing super-star free agents, the only maybe need is one forward and one D. The Blues need to make room for Schwartz and Tarasenko in the forward lines. Odds are Langenbrunner and Arnott retire opening up two slots. It's then a matter of where would that super-star FA forward go and will it be someone who buys in to the system which has worked so well the Blues almost won the President's Trophy and won a playoff series in only 5 games. There might not be the "need" to sign the super-star FA. Anyway....

Back to expectations: 1st round completed. Now comes the tough test of beating Jonathan Quick. The one advantage I think the Blues will have is Quick might actually get tired if the Blues put enough shots on him. He has played a ton of games compared to the Blues goaltenders and the Canucks tested him. I just wish they would have tested him in more than 5 games. Thinking this series goes 7 due to LA Goaltending and the Blues defensive system. Still taking the Blues in the series.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

xbleed83bluex
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by xbleed83bluex »

Interesting note - 3 of the Western conference teams were able to finish the series in 5 games (Kings, Blues, Preds). All of the Eastern conference matchups have required 6 or 7 games, some still pending. If Florida goes to 7 games, that will be 3 of the 4 matchups needing a game 7. So it looks like the Western conference is better at quicker finishes.

Frusciante
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by Frusciante »

theohall wrote:Berglund only has one less point (3G 4A) than Andy Mac (4G 4A) and both are on a better than point per game pace in the playoffs. Also, most of AMac's goals were set up by Berglund. It was Berglund's work on the boards that let's AMac have a chance at getting the empty net goal in this last one.
Also, I think Bergies work in front of goal has created a few goals as well. Goals that do not show in the statistics. I can think of at least two goals (Steen's 4-1 in game 3 and Perron's 2-1 in game 5) where he had his ass right in Niemi's face.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

Frusciante wrote:I can think of at least two goals (Steen's 4-1 in game 3 and Perron's 2-1 in game 5) where he had his ass right in Niemi's face.
Don't forget Andy Mac's goal in game 4. Bergie was in the crease and got the puck past Niemi....they 'say' 10 helped the puck over the line. (not meant as any disrespect for Andy....just didn't look like he touched it...obviously he did)