GDT: 4/16/12 > Game 3 > Blues @ Sharks > 9:00 PM

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

PGABluesFan
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Re: GDT: 4/16/12 > Game 3 > Blues @ Sharks > 9:00 PM

Post by PGABluesFan »

A few people on the facebook post that the blues posted about Stewart in the lineup said that Schwartz can't play in the playoffs because he didn't play enough regular season games.

I thought that wasn't the case at all.....

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

It never should have gotten to this point. I like Hitch, he's done great things for this team, and win or lose, I trust him to get the most out of the players in the future so that this team will be competitive and possibly make multiple serious runs at the cup over the next few years.

That said, his handling of Stewart has been mind boggling. No reason he shouldn't have been benched months ago. Send the message in the regular season or you send a message to the rest of the team that it's okay to float.

Stewart should have been benched for at least 3 or 4 straight games during the regular season, a tough stretch of 3 or 4 games, not some easy pieces of work along the way. I'm talking bench him against rivals, against Detroit, Chicago, Nashville. Let him know he has to either shape up or not be trusted in important tilts.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

PGABluesFan wrote:A few people on the facebook post that the blues posted about Stewart in the lineup said that Schwartz can't play in the playoffs because he didn't play enough regular season games.

Allen has played zero games this season for the Blues and yet is backing up Elliott tonight.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

glen a richter wrote:It never should have gotten to this point. I like Hitch, he's done great things for this team, and win or lose, I trust him to get the most out of the players in the future so that this team will be competitive and possibly make multiple serious runs at the cup over the next few years.

That said, his handling of Stewart has been mind boggling. No reason he shouldn't have been benched months ago. Send the message in the regular season or you send a message to the rest of the team that it's okay to float.

Stewart should have been benched for at least 3 or 4 straight games during the regular season, a tough stretch of 3 or 4 games, not some easy pieces of work along the way. I'm talking bench him against rivals, against Detroit, Chicago, Nashville. Let him know he has to either shape up or not be trusted in important tilts.
:plusplus: well said
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

PGABluesFan wrote:A few people on the facebook post that the blues posted about Stewart in the lineup said that Schwartz can't play in the playoffs because he didn't play enough regular season games.

Schwartz can play. He signed a contract for this year for that reason.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

Obviously taking the crowd out of the game early would be gimungous. Humangous big.

How about an early goal and a stifling first period?

Blues 3
Sharks 1
Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

ohio BLUES wrote:Obviously taking the crowd out of the game early would be gimungous. Humangous big.

How about an early goal and a stifling first period?

Blues 3
Sharks 1
Smartest thing said today. Hey what happened to your shake weight btw?

Official Sponsor of "The Barn"
2013-2014 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2010-2011 Official Sponsor of Brad Winchester
2009-2010 Official Sponsor of Paul Kariya

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

PGABluesFan wrote:Player X can't play in the playoffs because he didn't play enough regular season games.
There is no such rule in the NHL. The Rangers signed one of their college kids after the season ended. He is eligible to play also.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Even if there was such a rule about player X not being allowed to play because they didn't play a certain amount of time in the regular season, considerations would still have to be made for replacing injured players. What would the Blues be expected to do? Throw the goalie pads on Stewart? Hell, he might do better there than he does skating figure 8's. But the point is, they had an obvious need to temporarily replace Halak so naturally they had to recall someone from the farm and that someone happens to not have played a single NHL minute of his career.

And, furthermore, if there was a player X rule, then Radulov has to get back into street clothes for the rest of the playoffs. I seem to recall a whole debate over whether what Nashville was doing was fair or legal. I think the league made it pretty clear that he was good to go even though he played in what, 4 or 5 regular season games at the most?

Point is, Schwartz is good to go if they needed to dress him. There's no rule saying he can't play in the playoffs.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

FunkSkunk
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by FunkSkunk »

just in case anyone out of town isn't able to see the game... I found this --> http://www.ilive.to/view/29712

:letsgoblues:

Here's to some fresh sushi tonight!

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

We get an early lead, and then Russell simply can't catch and it's tied. That building was dead, and a simply terrible play lets them back in. Critical mistake.
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Nyghtewynd wrote:We get an early lead, and then Russell simply can't catch and it's tied. That building was dead, and a simply terrible play lets them back in. Critical mistake.
Hate it when that happens, but it does. Have to overcome, or else we don't deserve to win this series.

Frusciante
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by Frusciante »

First an absolutely idiotic penalty taken by Polak and then that Russell-mistake... Can't do that against the Sharks.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

FunkSkunk wrote:just in case anyone out of town isn't able to see the game... I found this --> http://www.ilive.to/view/29712

:letsgoblues:

Here's to some fresh sushi tonight!
Here is a TSN Feed

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

#25 has been a waste of ice time again in this game.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

theohall wrote:#25 has been a waste of ice time again in this game.
But according to 25 he was going to be so amazing tonight they would never consider sitting him again. Hmm...sounds exactly like that time he was a healthy scratch in the regular season.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

I'm just about to give up on Stewart in STL. He just doesn't do anything.
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

Seems like we forgot about playing offense the last 7 or 8 minutes of the 2nd. I'd feel much more comfortable if we scored 4 or 5. :grin:

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Now that it is the period break...

#25:
1) faceoff in the Blues end. He skates to the blueline and stands there defending no one again. Guess what happens? A shot from the slot with him trying to "skate" back into the play late.
2) Entering the Sharks zone 2-on-3. He gets the pass at the blueline for the clear give-and-go or give-and-dump to force the 3 Sharks to go deep. Instead, #25 tries to stick handle through the 3 defenders. This is a huge no-no under Hitchcock. Result - turnover with the Sharks going the other way and getting yet another scoring chance.

I am curious as to how many of the scoring chances generated by the Sharks in this game have happened with #25 on the ice.

Unless #25 turns into some mega-force in the 3rd period, he will not be playing in Game 4.

Watching NHL Tonight after Game 2, they were interviewing Oshie and asked him about setting up the Backes goal. Oshie knows the system and actually said had Backes not scored, he - Oshie - would have been chewed out by Hitch for not just getting the puck deep. IMO, Oshie's play demonstrated what Hitch's system can do. With the Blues players almost always going deep, deep, deep - the Sharks weren't afraid to go for the big hit on Oshie. They were also tired from constantly having to go deep in their end. The result - missed hits, Oshie stick handles around them, and Backes scores. What I liked is Oshie recognizing what he was doing was wrong for the system, but felt he had to try and make the play anyway. He also mentioned he and Backes have tried that play several times this season and it usually resulted in Backes just missing. That's what play-makers do. Play within your coaches system and sometimes take a chance when it is presented.

#25 does nothing but float on defense and lose the puck when challenged anywhere on the ice. I hope someone else signs him in the off-season and the Blues get some kind of draft pick compensation for him. I have not seen a player who supposedly received a message the coach was sending.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Portland Blues wrote:Seems like we forgot about playing offense the last 7 or 8 minutes of the 2nd. I'd feel much more comfortable if we scored 4 or 5. :grin:
IMO, that was more Sharks desperation and them activating their D forcing the Blues to play more defensive. That will continue in the 3rd. If it does, expect the Blues to get some odd man breaks.