2012 Playoff Suspension Thread

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

BoxCar
All-Star
All-Star

2012 Playoff Suspension Thread

Post by BoxCar »

This is getting pretty intense. Most games have featured an event that warrants suspension consideration. Some have been handed down, others (like Sharks hits on Nichol/McDonald) have not. Thought it was an interesting discussion starter, so here are a few of the notable ones to start with.

Asham gets 4 for cross-checking Shenn in the neck.
[youtube][/youtube]

Hossa rocked by Torres.
Video down the page

Shaw gets 3 games for the Smith hit.
[youtube][/youtube]

Neal gets 1 game for hits on 2 Flyers. Shanahan explains his decision.
Video down page

Craig Adams gets 1 for the fight with Hartnell.
[youtube][/youtube]

There are other examples, but I think this is going to be an ongoing circus for the NHL to deal with.

I think they'll match the Shaw ban for Torres (3 games).
Official President of the 2011-2012 Sponsorship Committee of the honorable Alex Pietrangelo

sparty09
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Re: 2012 Playoff Suspension Thread

Post by sparty09 »

There's no way that they can give Torres just 3 games.

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

Man.. most of the "explanations" just leave me confused. They list the key points they consider, then "decide" on a suspension that doesn't seem commensurate at all..

Neal's claim that the collision with Couturier was accidental is a joke. One game for two obvious intentional charges within a minute.. right..

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

I find it kind of sad that there's so much focus be placed on the shanabans. Its detracting from the sport. The main reason for this IMHO is the total and blatant inconsistency which feeds controversy which gives the analysts something to talk about. Sad.

That said, good thread. This way we can see the inconsistency firsthand.
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

KC Express
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by KC Express »

Is it just one of those short memory things, where the most current situation always seems the most magnified, or has this playoff period been the most violent in recent memory? I can't remember as many dirty hits, fights, and seemingly gratuitous violent incidents (that don't affect game outcome.)

Kreegz2
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Kreegz2 »

KC Express wrote:Is it just one of those short memory things, where the most current situation always seems the most magnified, or has this playoff period been the most violent in recent memory? I can't remember as many dirty hits, fights, and seemingly gratuitous violent incidents (that don't affect game outcome.)
This type of thing always happens in the playoffs, only back in the day the players/medical staff/media didn't care about concussions and players would play through them all the time.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockeynightinc ... 2223645631
2015-2016 LGB sponsor of Robert Bortuzzo
2014-2015 LGB sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2013-2014 LGB sponsor of Brendan Morrow
2013 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2011-2012 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2008-2009 LGB sponsor of David Backes

BoxCar
All-Star
All-Star

Post by BoxCar »

sparty09 wrote:There's no way that they can give Torres just 3 games.
I'm not saying that is what I favor. But for them to ban him for 10+ games like some (not here, other boards) are suggesting would be to directly admit that the officials seriously messed up. I think that factors in a little. I've seen people argue that:
1) Torres's skates don't leave the ice until the body contact is already made.
2) Hossa is 6'2" and Torres 6'0", so the head contact was not a targeted hit, but rather the consequence of Hossa hunching after playing the puck and Torres' shoulder making contact with where Hossa's shoulder would have been.
3) The launching upward motion you see in Torres is a natural extension of a hit, your knees go from bent to upright. The momentum carries your body up the recipients body.
4) Kronwall hits like this constantly. Gets no suspensions, not even penalties. (and people make this argument without it being even a tongue-in-cheek reference to Shanahan's raging Redwing boner)
5) The difference in the NHL rule book definition of a late hit and when this hit was delivered is about .3 seconds. NHL defines late as after .5 seconds of hit recipient losing possession, this hit is aboyt .83-.90 depending on when you think the hit was initiated (i.e., does a hit start at contact or is there a point of no return before contact?)

Given Hossa does not appear to be seriously injured as of now (he left the hospital before the game ended I believe) and Shanahan has hinted at using injury as a suspension indicator, Asham only got a 4 game suspension for corss-checking Shenn in the neck and Shaw got 3 for what can be considered an unfortunate incident I am predicting a match to Shaw's ban. Maybe they just ban him for the rest of this series by going to 4 games. I don't think they'll superban him though.

This is a difficult situation. On the surface I don't like that particular hit, but if Hossa had his head up (don't read this as me blaming him for the result) it would have probably been shoulder to shoulder and on highlight reels for being a Stevens-esque demolition. That said, I think you punish players for hitting the head whether they meant to or not, with some discretion (the Shaw suspension is ridiculous). And if they clearly meant to hit the head, throw the book at them (preferably at their head).
Official President of the 2011-2012 Sponsorship Committee of the honorable Alex Pietrangelo

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

Forgot to mention this one...
[youtube][/youtube]

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

BoxCar wrote:
sparty09 wrote:There's no way that they can give Torres just 3 games.
I'm not saying that is what I favor. But for them to ban him for 10+ games like some (not here, other boards) are suggesting would be to directly admit that the officials seriously messed up. I think that factors in a little.
The officials did mess up. Kerry Fraser explained how on NHL Radio today.

Up ice official is doing his job correctly. He has to follow the puck, basically.
The official behind the play screwed up. After Hossa released the puck, he inexplicably looked away. With Torres being that close to him and clearly about to hit him, he should have been watching the hit to make sure it was clean.
The up-ice linesman is following the puck to ensure no offsides/ice type deal.
The back linesman is looking at Hossa and Torres, but also, just as the hit is starting, inexplicably looks away.
(The linesman are important, because if the refs miss something, they can be consulted for major penalties).

So - both the back officials who are supposed to be watching the behind the play stuff looked away. The result - none of the on-ice officials saw the hit at all. That was a mistake by Steven Walkom (the back official) and the back linesman. Don't know his name.

One thing I've seen claimed is that the hit was late. The hit occurred .8 seconds after the puck was released which technically makes Hossa still the puck carrier, so hitting him is not wrong. Hitting him in the head and leaving the feet were the problem.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Torres suspended indefinitely. Which means he is out for the duration of the playoffs. If the Coyotes go far, he'll probably serve less time next year. If the Coyotes are out in round 1, it probably means he will get a longer suspension next year.

The Torres hit is bad guys. He left his feet and launched his shoulder into Hossa's head. Very dirty hit from a dirty player.

Here it is:
[youtube][/youtube]
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

"Circus" is right.

Like the stat they flashed across the screen during the Blues/Sharks game the other night: more game misconducts through the first 2-3 games in the first round this year then we've had all of last years' playoffs.

What gives? I mean the fact we have a thread about this with a freaking LIST of videos to go through and not a single series has ended yet... I mean what the hell? We all collectively jump in a time machine and go back to 1985? At first it was kind of cool but I have to start agreeing that this incessant nonsense is seriously taking away from the hockey. Penguins v. Flyers is just an absolute joke and the worst of all of them with 13 goals a game and usually the same number of penalties. :roll:
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

I personally think any hit should be legal, except for those that could result in spinal injury.

Headshots? (Frank) yeah... it's a man's game. If you don't like it, join the Ice Capades, you sniveling pansies.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

[youtube][/youtube]

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Wow, Shanny grew a sack. 25 games for Torres.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

cardsfan04 wrote:Wow, Shanny grew a sack. 25 games for Torres.
Excessive to me comparing to the other suspensions (or non-suspensions) given out. Even with Torres' history. This seems like the NHL taking the easy way out.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.

BoxCar
All-Star
All-Star

Post by BoxCar »

If you watched the pens/flyers game 4 you could see the crackdown starting. Something started after the whistle was basically an instant ejection. The last 2 Blues games have been pretty low key as well.

Can't say I'm surprised with the Torres decision, this was their opportunity to make a statement, and it seems like they did that.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Great... so now we're in store for more boring ass hockey from here on out. This was the greatest playoffs in like 2 decades and leave it to the NHL to freaking ruin it. :roll:

:roll:

(Frank) this leauge. (Frank) you, Shanny.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

Lolololol 25 games but Neal gets 1 for doing the same thing twice in a minute

Even with history, totally ridiculous.

tjk002
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by tjk002 »

goon attack wrote:Great... so now we're in store for more boring ass hockey from here on out. This was the greatest playoffs in like 2 decades and leave it to the NHL to freaking ruin it. :roll:

:roll:

(Frank) this leauge. (Frank) you, Shanny.
Goon, couldn't agree more. This is the result of ESPN trashing the playoffs since they started. Of course, the only reason they're doing that is because hockey's ratings on NBC are clearly eating into the NBA's ratings on ESPN (which they drastically overpaid for)

Kreegz2
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Kreegz2 »

goon attack wrote:I personally think any hit should be legal, except for those that could result in spinal injury.

Headshots? (Frank) yeah... it's a man's game. If you don't like it, join the Ice Capades, you sniveling pansies.
Agreed. I miss the days of Stevens absolutely ruining people at center ice for not having their head up. Sadly with the way things are going I think it's a thing of the past.
2015-2016 LGB sponsor of Robert Bortuzzo
2014-2015 LGB sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2013-2014 LGB sponsor of Brendan Morrow
2013 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2011-2012 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2008-2009 LGB sponsor of David Backes