David Backes Named Selke Trophy Finalist

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

David Backes Named Selke Trophy Finalist

Post by dmiles2186 »

I'm sure they'll give it to Datsyuk like always, but good to see our guy getting recognized for once.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=629242&print=true
The truly elite players are the ones who can play -- and excel -- in any situation. The ones who are used not only when their team needs a goal, but also when it needs to prevent a goal.

The St. Louis Blues' David Backes, Patrice Bergeron of the Boston Bruins and Pavel Datsyuk of the Detroit Red Wings are just those kind of players, and for that reason they have been named as finalists for this year's Frank J. Selke Trophy, an annual award given "to the forward who best excels in the defensive aspects of the game."

The winner is selected by a vote of the Professional Hockey Writers' Association, and will be announced at the 2012 NHL Awards Show, June 20 at the Encore Theater at Wynn Las Vegas.

Besides his team-high totals of 24 goals and 54 points, Backes led Blues forwards with an average ice time of 19:59 while posting a plus-15 rating. He started just 46 percent of his shifts in the offensive zone, the second-fewest of any Blues forward who played at least 10 games, but finished 52.4 percent of his shifts in the offensive zone, meaning he was able to turn defense into offense better than any player on the team. He also led all NHL forwards in advanced metrics website Behind the Net's Quality of Competition rating, meaning the players he skated against had the highest average plus/minus rating.

He led the team with 226 hits and all Blues forwards with 72 blocked shots, while his 50 takeaways were second on the team. He won just 48.6 percent of his faceoffs, but took the most on the team at 1,353.

The Blues were the League's best defensive team, allowing just 1.60 goals per game. Much of that had to do with goaltending, but the team allowed a League-low 26.7 shots per game, meaning skaters like Backes had a big role in that defensive excellence.

In addition to finishing second on the team with 64 points, Bergeron was at his best in the faceoff circle, finishing second in the League by winning 59.3 percent of his draws. He was especially strong on faceoffs while shorthanded, winning 53.5 percent of his faceoffs while killing a penalty, and he led Bruins forwards in shorthanded ice time at 1:48 per game. He also took 34.6 percent of all Boston faceoffs, the sixth-highest percentage of any player in the League.

He led the League with a plus-36 rating, and did it while playing 18:34 per game and picking up just 20 penalty minutes. He also led all Bruins forwards with 67 blocked shots and 55 takeaways. And among forwards who played at least 30 games, his 1.73 on-ice plus/minus per 60 minutes at even strength was third among all NHL forwards -- he was on the ice for 66 goals for and 34 goals against at even strength.

Datsyuk is a perennial contender for the Selke, and with good reason. Besides scoring at leat 65 points for the seventh time in the last eight seasons, he was 10th in the League in faceoffs, winning 56.2 percent, while taking 32.0 percent of all Red Wings faceoffs. He was third among all League forwards with 97 takeaways. Datsyuk was second among the team's forwards in average ice time per game at 19:34, but had a plus-21 rating and just 14 penalty minutes, the fewest of his career. He also played 1:13 per game shorthanded.

And according to Behind the Net's QoC, Datsyuk faced the second-hardest competition among Red Wings players, behind only defenseman Nicklas Lidstrom.

He had his three-year Selke win streak snapped last year when Vancouver's Ryan Kesler won it. If Datsyuk wins his fourth Selke, he would tie Bob Gainey for the most in history.

Contact Adam Kimelman at akimelman@nhl.com. Follow him on Twitter: @NHLAdamK

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: David Backes Named Selke Trophy Finalist

Post by theohall »

Being on the best defensive team in the league and contributing to allowing the fewest shots against in the league will count alot towards Backes. I am thinking he actually gets it.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

theohall wrote:Being on the best defensive team in the league and contributing to allowing the fewest shots against in the league will count alot towards Backes. I am thinking he actually gets it.

The only real argument I've heard 'against' him is that his stats are actually down....so if his stats are down and he didn't win last year....

I'm not saying I buy the argument, but I've heard both JR and Bernie M make it.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

theohall wrote:Being on the best defensive team in the league and contributing to allowing the fewest shots against in the league will count alot towards Backes. I am thinking he actually gets it.
:lol:

You're forgetting he's up against a Red Wing. I'll be shocked if he gets it even though it's clearly deserved.
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Comparing him to Datsyuk this year...

Backes 24G 30A +15 226 Hits 72 Blocked shots - leader of best defensive team in the league and always plays against the opponents top lines. Ranked #1 on the team in quality of opposition faced and led all Blues forwards in ice time per game. Also had more ice time per game than Datsyuk.

Datsyuk 19G 48A +21 76 Hits 31 Blocked shots. Also led the Wings in ice time among forwards was 3rd on the team in quality of opposition he faced.

This being a defensive award, they usually don't hand out this award based on Goals and Assists. I'd say having more than twice the number of blocked shots qualifies as being better defensively. We shall see.

The problem is Bergeron who was a beast on faceoffs and pretty much a shut-down forward for the Bruins. If Backes had Bergeron's faceoff skills, Backes would be a hands down winner.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Bergeron gets it for sure...why? He won the cup last year, and plays for Boston. DatsYUK didn't impress me this year.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

No way did Datsyuk have 31 hits this season...or in his career for that matter.

:detsucks:

SteveO
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by SteveO »

Portland Blues wrote:No way did Datsyuk have 31 hits this season...or in his career for that matter.

:detsucks:
I'm pretty sure that's how many times he spanked Zetterberg in the lockerroom.

ibldbl
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ibldbl »

Bergeron will probably win it. East coast bias.

Doesn't matter as long as we win :cup:
Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly 2021 - 2022
Official LGB Sponsor of Colton Parayko 2017 - 2019
Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk 2016 - 2017
Official LGB Sponsor of Troy Brouwer 2015 - 2016
Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz 2013 - 2015

Carl Racki
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Carl Racki »

I know he had one for sure when he jumped up and elbowed Jackman in the face in Detroit along the boards earlier in the year.

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

I'm glad he got the nod, but I just don't see him getting it. We just don't get a lot of love on the national stage. On NHL on the fly they didn't talk about how we won round one but how bad the Sharks played to lose it. Just IMO.

Official Sponsor of "The Barn"
2013-2014 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2010-2011 Official Sponsor of Brad Winchester
2009-2010 Official Sponsor of Paul Kariya

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

NHL Tonight - Jaffe picks Bergeron and Noodles picks Datsyuk...

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Yea but there's also been a history of the voters looking favorably to the "gritty" types who can also put up stats. While I wouldn't be surprised at all that Backes doesn't win it, the same holds true if he does.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk