GDT: 4/30/12 > Game 2 > Blues v Kings > 8:00 PM > CNBC

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: GDT: 4/30/12 > Game 2 > Blues v Kings > 8:00 PM > CNBC

Post by DaDitka »

northwest dave wrote:Another thing. I wouldn't mind seeing Reaves in for Arnott. Just for a game. I know Arnott brings the experience, but his play hasn't been that great. If you start Dags in place of Stewart, you lose the physical presence...Reaves might balance that out.
So 15 - 17 - 36 for a third and 26 - 12 - 75 for a fourth?

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Win or back up the trucks.

Blues 3
Kings 0
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

DaDitka wrote:
northwest dave wrote:Another thing. I wouldn't mind seeing Reaves in for Arnott. Just for a game. I know Arnott brings the experience, but his play hasn't been that great. If you start Dags in place of Stewart, you lose the physical presence...Reaves might balance that out.
So 15 - 17 - 36 for a third and 26 - 12 - 75 for a fourth?
Possibly. I bet Dags goes in tonight. Instead of Reaves, maybe Dags goes in for Arnott. Move Langs on the fourth.

Just messing around. I think Hitch only makes one change tonight.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Kings 1
Blues 0
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

Apostrophe power, bitches!!!!

Blues 3
king nothings 0
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

I don't know why they're not letting Reaves play. He is great on the forecheck, and lord knows we could use another big body out there against the Kings.

Blues 3
Kings 2

Gonna be a tough game.

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

I look for the Blues to be impressive and dominant tonight. We did it for long periods in the first game. As hitch said (and I said in the other thread) the second goal was lazy back check by the forwards not cancelling the chance. Specifically, Backes coasting into the zone rather than getting into the play. We also generated a ton of high quality chances that we did not convert. The bounces will even out and we will score more tonight.

Blues 4
Kings 1

:goblues:
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

In response to the comment from Hitchcock that if Petro takes part in the pre-game skate, he'll be in the lineup tonight...
The news is setting up for perhaps the most-watched pre-game skate of the season.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

Ok, I can admit to "wooting" out loud at my desk when I read that pie practiced,
I will take a 'game time decision' over a 'concussion like symptoms' every time!
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

sseagle wrote:Ok, I can admit to "wooting" out loud at my desk when I read that pie practiced,
I will take a 'game time decision' over a 'concussion like symptoms' every time!
It at least means that there's a good possibility we'll see him some time in this series.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

northwest dave wrote: Man, I was really hoping #25 could get his game going. We need his size and 'scoring'.
How many times has this been said of #25 througout the regular season and through the 1st round of the playoffs?? Give up on him and play someone else, already. #25 has had more than his fair share of opportunities to "step-up." It is damn clear to me #25 stepping up is not going to happen.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

theohall wrote:
northwest dave wrote: Man, I was really hoping #25 could get his game going. We need his size and 'scoring'.
How many times has this been said of #25 througout the regular season and through the 1st round of the playoffs?? Give up on him and play someone else, already. #25 has had more than his fair share of opportunities to "step-up." It is damn clear to me #25 stepping up is not going to happen.
I know, it's frustrating. It seems to me that Hitch hopes he gets it, because getting some scoring opportunities out of that 3rd line is key.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

If Pie can't play tonight, I think we may be thanking the stars for the two 2-day breaks between games 2/3 and 3/4. Give him time to heal up. We were whining about it earlier, but it may work to our benefit. This team without Pie will not beat the Kings in a 7 game series. Maybe win a game or two but not four.

Tonight with him either in or out, has to be a gelling like game 2 v the Sharks was. Pound the Kings into oblivion as a team (open the Polak door, so to speak) and shut them down on the scoresheet. Give them something to think about heading back to LA and then shoot for a split, at worst, on unfriendly ice.

However... if the boys come out and lose tonight, I'd like to amend my pick in the contest from LA in 7 to LA in 4.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

northwest dave wrote:
theohall wrote:
I know, it's frustrating. It seems to me that Hitch hopes he gets it, because getting some scoring opportunities out of that 3rd line is key.
Then play Schwartz. He didn't sign on to sit around and watch 25 play like trash. And we could use all the potential goal scorers we can get against Quick. Put Schwartz with Dagger, let Dagger rip off some wicked slappers and Schwartz parks himself in front to clean up the rebounds... you know, exactly what 25 was supposed to be doing but refuses.

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

Solid news on AP. The Scott'll be a slaughterhouse tonight.
Blues 3
Turds 0
Last edited by Toasted Oates on Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Arnott was a hell of a lot better than Langenbrunner was. He looked every bit his age that last game, the pace was visibly tough for him to keep up with.

I want to see floodgates tonight!

Blues 4
Kings 1
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Petro will skate out for warmups...the fans and media will go nuts.
Instant bump in team morale and energy at Scottrade.

You heard it here.

Hitchcock is a genius.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Melrose with a very good and (I think) fair article about game 1. Shows why this series is and was expected to be, gritty and generally awesome
The Kings beating the Canucks in the first round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs was a big surprise -- but it wasn't a surprise to me. I pegged L.A. to win against the Presidents' Trophy winners and sure enough, here are the Kings in Round 2 instead of Vancouver.

But I did not think the Kings would beat the Blues.

St. Louis has looked like one of the strongest teams in the League all season to me ever since Ken Hitchcock took over, and I expected the Blues to be able to move on to the Western Conference Finals and maybe win the West, but after dropping Game 1 to the Kings on Saturday -- and not in a fluky way -- it's starting to look like the Blues could be in trouble, and they'll be in serious trouble if they wind up losing Game 2 Monday night.

I was surprised Saturday at how well L.A. handled St. Louis physically. St. Louis is a team that prides itself on being able to beat you up physically and battling physically, but I didn't see that in Game 1 against L.A. I saw at best a draw on the physical side of the game, and at worst for St. Louis, I thought maybe the Kings were the more physical team. That wasn't supposed to happen, so I think that's certainly something that has shocked St. Louis and that will have to change if they're going to turn the series around in Game 2 and once it goes to California.

I went into this series thinking, "Yeah, L.A. beat Vancouver, but I don't think Vancouver was nearly as good as St. Louis." I left the game thinking the Kings could beat the Blues -- probably for the first time this year.

Saturday night, everything clicked for L.A. Anze Kopitar was excellent, Dustin Brown started the play that led to the shorthanded goal with a strong move and Jonathan Quick, as always, was unbelievable. What's more is I really liked the L.A. defense. It's a very unknown group aside from Drew Doughty, but it's very good -- and very big. Matt Greene is 6-foot-3, Alec Martinez is 6-1, Doughty is 6-0 and Willie Mitchell is 6-3. That's a big defense, and they can handle that St. Louis forecheck. I was very impressed with the Kings in Game 1, even more so than I was in the series against Vancouver. Against the Canucks, I thought Quick won that series with his play, but Saturday night the Kings were every bit as good as the Blues.

If the Blues want to even the series Monday night and find a way to advance to the conference finals, they need to find a way to get to Quick. Vancouver was only able to do that once, so it's a tall order. When the Blues see the tape, they'll see they need that second shot on Quick to go upstairs. Quick is a butterfly goaltender.

Andy McDonald's chances in the first period of Game 1 were a prime example. McDonald had three chances and he hit the pads with all three shots. That second shot has to go under the bar, because Quick has those legs down on the ice taking away the bottom of the rink. You're not going to score against him down on the ice. The next one's got to go upstairs, so I think that's one thing the Blues can take out of it.

Also, they'll need to score some ugly goals. You're not going to score beautiful goals on Quick, so you've got to get in front of him, screen him and top it in, just like the Blues' first goal in Game 1. Quick never saw that shot. It hit Perron's stick, went up a little bit, and he just never saw it. That's how you've got to score on a great goaltender like Quick.

Every few years a goalie goes on a remarkable run and takes a team to the conference finals or beyond. It happened in 2010 with Jaroslav Halak in Montreal and it happened in 2003 with Jean-Sebastien Giguere in Anaheim. There's a chance we could be seeing that right now in the West with Quick and Mike Smith in Phoenix. This is a pair of teams riding hot goaltenders, which could easily lead them to the Cup Final.

The difference with L.A., however, and perhaps the reason St. Louis should be most concerned, is that it's not just Quick on that team. The Kings have to score goals for Quick and they've got a good cast of characters. I love their defense, I think Kopitar and Dustin Brown have been great, and you add in Jeff Carter and Justin Williams and that's a heck of a hockey team. The Kings have a great top two lines and they've got some great bangers and crashers on the third and fourth line.

In Game 1, the Kings looked like they really came into their own, and they have a deep lineup that can cause a lot of problems for the Blues when St. Louis isn't able to play its physical game. The Blues may be in for a bigger challenge than they expected in Round 2. And if St. Louis can't salvage a split at home tonight, it could be panic time for the top remaining seed in the West.
Clicky!
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

I'm getting boned up over here... I'm SOOOOOO GLAD that new york is playing early.... I COULDNT POSSIBLY handle a Blues game at the correct time for our market.

LETS GO BLOOOOOOOS :letsgoblues:
:hawkssuck: :detsucks: :gheylords:

This post brought to you by... :bert:

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

Just say Doughty talking shit on NHLNet.. dude talks like he has a cock in his mouth, I think we should beat some ass!