Off Season Roster Change Suggestions

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Jaykay
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Re: Off Season Roster Change Suggestions

Post by Jaykay »

Am I totally mis-informed or isn't there that CBA-Issue to be settled? In other words, how sure is it that there will be a "next year"?
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Paul Stastny

TheoSqua
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by TheoSqua »

Jaykay wrote:Am I totally mis-informed or isn't there that CBA-Issue to be settled? In other words, how sure is it that there will be a "next year"?
The NHL couldn't possibly be that stupid, could they?
Official LGB Sponser of 10 year old signatures:

WindyCityBluesFan
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by WindyCityBluesFan »

I will have a very difficult time watching this team next year if Jackman is still on it. That would be such a colossal mistake after his performance in these playoffs. A -8 in 9 games? Back to back -3 nights in games 2 and 3? Totally unnaccaeptable. He looked brutally slow and completely apathetic out there every single game. The worst +/- on the team and the second most penalty minutes is not something that should be tolerated from your veteran 3rd or 4th defenseman. He needs a new home, maybe it will re-energize his play. Am I over reacting? I was never totally against him until this year.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

WindyCityBluesFan wrote:I will have a very difficult time watching this team next year if Jackman is still on it. That would be such a colossal mistake after his performance in these playoffs. A -8 in 9 games? Back to back -3 nights in games 2 and 3? Totally unnaccaeptable. He looked brutally slow and completely apathetic out there every single game. The worst +/- on the team and the second most penalty minutes is not something that should be tolerated from your veteran 3rd or 4th defenseman. He needs a new home, maybe it will re-energize his play. Am I over reacting? I was never totally against him until this year.
I thought he was pretty solid during the regular season. In fact, I thought he was as good as he's been since the lockout. It's probably because he was healthy for once. But man, he was awful during the playoffs. Just not good at all.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

tjk002 wrote:Sign Jackman? How much? You can't pay him over 1 million a year. He's just not worth it, I'd much rather see Carlo at 2 to 2.5 million. They both sucked in the playoffs, but at least Carlo has a decent shot. Carlo's worst game of the playoffs is where I believe he was playing on wrong side since Pie was out and I will admit he looked lost. Just by letting Jackman walk, you save $4 million a year and use that towards Parise (maybe Backes has some pull with him from their Olympic team days). If you could keep Stewart cheap, I'd keep him. I'd also lean towards keeping Langenbrunner for another year. Doesn't sound good about Tarasenko coming over either.
Mind you, I'm not a huge Jackman fan, but like it or not, Jackman had a very good season. His +20 was his best +/- since his rookie year and he didn't take a lot of bad penalties this year...he only had 57 PIMs...the lowest of his career.
He, like half of the team, had a piss poor 2nd round.
He made $3.5 million this year. You think the most that anyone will give him is $1 million next season? I'd sign him in a second for $2+ million...but he'll make more than that.

Stewart is a waste of a roster spot. He doesn't do anything. No thanks on bringing him back...not even for cheap. Someone will give him a couple million next season, so he can play there. Good riddance. Give Porter or Reaves his ice time. They'll do something.

Carlo's offensive production is on the decline and it wasn't good this year. He only had 2 goals and 19 pts. Whoopee. That's only one more goal and six more points than Jackman had. And his defense isn't anything to write home about. You'd drop $2.5 million on him? Yeah, I dunno. If he isn't doing much offensively, and he isn't great defensively, what good is he?

I'd like to keep Langenbrunner...but only if we fail to upgrade there first.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

WindyCityBluesFan wrote:I will have a very difficult time watching this team next year if Jackman is still on it. That would be such a colossal mistake after his performance in these playoffs. A -8 in 9 games? Back to back -3 nights in games 2 and 3? Totally unnaccaeptable. He looked brutally slow and completely apathetic out there every single game. The worst +/- on the team and the second most penalty minutes is not something that should be tolerated from your veteran 3rd or 4th defenseman. He needs a new home, maybe it will re-energize his play. Am I over reacting? I was never totally against him until this year.
You mean you weren't totally against him until the 2nd round of the playoffs...because up until then, he had a pretty good season this year.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

WindyCityBluesFan
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by WindyCityBluesFan »

cprice12 wrote:
You mean you weren't totally against him until the 2nd round of the playoffs...because up until then, he had a pretty good season this year.
Correct. I should also say that when I said I wasn't totally against him I really just meant I didn't complain about him previously. I actually didn't notice him that often this year, which is obviously a good sign for a defensive minded defenseman. I don't think he's going to take $2,000,000, but I wouldn't pay him a penny more than that.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I would retain Jackman because you have to assume one of or both of Arnott and Langenbrunner will be gone and you want to keep some sort of veteran presence on the team at least for one more year while the "kids" become more veteran. And anyone who's basing their decision that they want Jackman to NOT come back on the heels of his 2nd round performance, if you use that as your qualifications for returning to the team next year then you'll have a very thin roster come October.

I think they have to approach training camp much like they did this season, with regards to goaltending. Halak and Elliott will be pushed by Allen and Binnington, obviously Binnington won't make the club, but if Allen can do to Elliott what Elliott did to Bishop, then maybe Elliott can be dangled come late September. Retrospectively, it would have been greatly to the teams benefit to eat the draft pick and just keep Bishop, but hindsight is 20/20. Every goalie in this organization, whether they make the club or not has to push the hell out of the goalie ahead of them on the depth chart because we just witnessed our biggest strength become a huge weakness in round 2. I'm not blaming Elliott for the lack of support he had in front of him, but it didn't help he didn't have Halak pushing him, or vice versa. He may have gotten a bit too comfortable is what I'm saying.

Back to defense, Fairchild will probably never get a prolonged look at the NHL level on account of the fact that he's not the type of blueliner this team needs. Not given that we have Pie and Shatty, a smallish d-man who can add some offensive flourish is not the direction the team needs to go moving forward. Cole fits, David Shields (in a couple seasons) might fit, Ponich would have fit but I've heard he's sliding down the old organizational depth chart.

Offensively, we know what needs to be done. Stewart gone is a big first step. I think a lot hinges on whether Tarasenko decides to come over or not. If he does, it clears up a lot of uncertainty. We all know that Schwartz will probably get himself a roster spot. How many roster spots will be open though? And how many of those do they want to spend on rookies? Some of the promising young players have fizzled at Peoria... your McRae's, Sonne's and (no jokes intended here) Nigro's. What are the odds they ice three rookies offensively? The energy would be nice, the effort would most likely be there, but the legs would be shot by the playoffs and we'll just find ourselves in the same old boat again. I'd say if they have no intention of bringing back Carlo or Stewart, then go ahead and spend on Parise and fill Carlo's spot with an on the cheap rookie or a grizzled vet also on the cheap. Ownership can't be afraid to spend a few dollars.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

xbleed83bluex
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by xbleed83bluex »

Nyghtewynd wrote:Let's get on with it.

Gone: Stewart, Dags, Nichol, Arnott, Cola.

Tough Call: Elliott, (might be a "sell high" opportunity); Jackman (looked completely done the entire series, wouldn't miss).

New owners: If you're not going to spend money on scoring, don't buy the team.
Oh come on, give Elliot a chance. At least allow him fill out his contract. Elliot has been great for us all season long - lowest GAA in the league - and he has one bad playoff run, and you guys want him dumped? And on top of that, let's not forget he wasn't supposed to play, Halak was injured, so he had some big shoes to fill. If nothing else, he can remain a permanent backup,, and let's face it, he'd certainly be one of the best if not THE best backup in the league.

He's got 2 years left on his contract...I'd say at least keep him for that.
Official 2011-'12 sponsor of the hot chick from the FSMW Blues commercials.

xbleed83bluex
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by xbleed83bluex »

Let everyone go whose contract expires.

Sign Perron.
Pie - long term contract
Extend McDonald until retirement.
Sign HUGE SCORING FORWARD SUPERSTAR during offseason.

Let everyone else franking Go.

xbleed83bluex
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by xbleed83bluex »

I think Stewart should be given one more season. He's a potential 30-goal scorer and not afraid to drop the gloves. And if you look at his goals, they're not flukes either, the guy has skill. I don't see him raking in assists, but I see him as a goal scoring power forward who has struggled under Hitchcock's system. Paired with the right playmaker, I think he can start raking in the goals again.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Sorry but (Frank) that shit about Stewart. If you can free up some money by not re-upping Carlo and 25, you can spend that money on Parise, even if you have to pay a little extra to keep him from returning to NJ. And I highly doubt Parise would figure skate around the ice the way Stewart did.

It's not like we're flirting with the cap ceiling, spending a couple dollars extra to get rid of Stewart and replace Carlo with a young, cheaper, less fragile alternative is worth it if new ownership wants to make a mark right away.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

The 25 we saw in the LA series... the guy who scored goals and wanted to bash in the heads of the opposition... that's the Stewart we all thought we were getting. Whatever was going on in his dumbass dome all season is anyone's guess.

If I could be assured he'd play like that even 75% of the time, I'd be more than willing to keep him.

I think if we trade any of the top 6 it should be Perron. He can't hit for shit, gets bounced off the puck along the boards easier than anyone not named Andy MacDonald, and it generally useless if he's not scoring, which he did not do much of in the post season. Yes, his stickhandling is kick ass to watch and he'll score the odd highlight reel goal... big effin deal, so would Dan Quinn, the biggest fookin pansy in NHL history.

If you could score a solid top 6 d-man and a depth winger for him, I'd do it.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

First and foremost...Arrnot is gone..JR tweeted that he WALKED OUT OF PRACTICE Saturday when Hitch told him he was going to be sitting again. He said the team is calling it a 'low body' injury but he was actually just pissed about being sat. Hows that for veteran leadership in the playoffs.

Jackman is a tough call. He did play much better this season...but his play did drop off after about January and was ruff to say the least in the playoffs. I just question if he's physically capable of 'bringing it' for a full season anymore. Is he willing to sign for a mill...mill and a half and serve as a 6-7 guy and maybe skate in 50 games......We'll have to wait and see.

It's not that I want Perron gone..hell, he's our most natural scorer, I merely get the since that he'll never be the player he can be under Hitch. I'm not sure Hitch is a fan of how he plays either. He called him out late in the season, singled him out in the playoffs, and dropped him to a third line that was seeing less ice time then the 4th line. I would say it's 50/50 on his return.

Stewie started to play harder the final month or two, he admitted his lack of commitment, poor diet, and poor training. He's already hired trainers for the off season. I'd be more then willing to sign him to a one year 2.1 million dollar 'prove yourself' contract. The only difference next year is when he's not playing hard...DON'T PLAY HIM. Hitch actually waited until Stewie was playing his best hockey of the season until he sat him.......very puzzling

Get Tank and Swartz and add that top pairing defensive defensman.Get a healthy Steen all year and I think we'll be just fine.

A lot of went wrong with this team in the playoffs happened between the ears and in the locker room. I think with Backes being more comfortable as captain next year, the play off experience, and more leadership out of Pie......the same roster could play much better (add we'd be adding talent).

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

xbleed83bluex wrote:I think Stewart should be given one more season. He's a potential 30-goal scorer and not afraid to drop the gloves. And if you look at his goals, they're not flukes either, the guy has skill. I don't see him raking in assists, but I see him as a goal scoring power forward who has struggled under Hitchcock's system. Paired with the right playmaker, I think he can start raking in the goals again.
Potential?? How many times did that jackass say "I got the message" only to play one good game, and then shit the bed for the next 10. He played ONE good playoff game and even then he was crappy in terms of defensive responsibility. That defensive responsibility is a huge aspect of Hitch's system and if he isn't playing it consistently when given the ice time, the Blues will get scored on. Ditch his "I got the message" ass and send him the real message.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

DaDitka wrote:First and foremost...Arrnot is gone..JR tweeted that he WALKED OUT OF PRACTICE Saturday when Hitch told him he was going to be sitting again. He said the team is calling it a 'low body' injury but he was actually just pissed about being sat. Hows that for veteran leadership in the playoffs.

Jackman is a tough call. He did play much better this season...but his play did drop off after about January and was ruff to say the least in the playoffs. I just question if he's physically capable of 'bringing it' for a full season anymore. Is he willing to sign for a mill...mill and a half and serve as a 6-7 guy and maybe skate in 50 games......We'll have to wait and see.

It's not that I want Perron gone..hell, he's our most natural scorer, I merely get the since that he'll never be the player he can be under Hitch. I'm not sure Hitch is a fan of how he plays either. He called him out late in the season, singled him out in the playoffs, and dropped him to a third line that was seeing less ice time then the 4th line. I would say it's 50/50 on his return.

Stewie started to play harder the final month or two, he admitted his lack of commitment, poor diet, and poor training. He's already hired trainers for the off season. I'd be more then willing to sign him to a one year 2.1 million dollar 'prove yourself' contract. The only difference next year is when he's not playing hard...DON'T PLAY HIM. Hitch actually waited until Stewie was playing his best hockey of the season until he sat him.......very puzzling

Get Tank and Swartz and add that top pairing defensive defensman.Get a healthy Steen all year and I think we'll be just fine.

A lot of went wrong with this team in the playoffs happened between the ears and in the locker room. I think with Backes being more comfortable as captain next year, the play off experience, and more leadership out of Pie......the same roster could play much better (add we'd be adding talent).
Wow, I'm surprised to see that out of Arnott. Oh well.

I'd rather have a player like Orpik than Jackman. Would Bryan Allen fit the bill? Jackman had a good season, but the blueline needs stability and size.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.

Carl Racki
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Carl Racki »

They traded a number one overall pick for stewart. He'll get another chance.

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Winning Unlimited »

We really needed Jackman this season. Our defense was
Polak (227 GP), Pietrangelo (96 GP), Shattenkirk (72 GP), Nikitin (48 GP), Cole (26 GP). Combined: 469

Jackman had played 517 games before entering that season. We had no idea how good Shattenkirk and Pietrangelo were going to be. They make Jackman expendable.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Carl Racki wrote:They traded a number one overall pick for stewart. He'll get another chance.
I would say the Blues traded a #1 overall pick for Shattenkirk and McClement for #25. At least the Blues got a more consistent effort out of McClement when he was here.

Let's breakdown #25's game and why he should not return:
Strengths:
1) Good hands
2) Size
3) Good speed
(That's all I can think of)
Weaknesses:
1) Not strong on the puck and regularly loses puck battles. (So much for his size)
2) Slow to react defensively - been true all season even in his good games
3) Only seems to score when alone in space and rarely works to get to those positions
4) Does not play the system well: attempts to force carry-ins; doesn't dump pucks often; holds back before going into scrums on the boards, even when the help is clearly necessary, and that delay usually leads to the other team a) getting the puck or b) getting a really good scoring chance
5) Rarely uses his speed. (about once every 10 games or it was visible)
6) Not good passing the puck - there are too many times his indecision at his own blueline or in neutral ice have led to turnovers.

Don't over-value #25 for one good playoff game when even then he was not consistent throughout that game - as has happened all season. Who did the work that led to the 1st goal? All #25 did was use his speed, for once, to skate to an open area and the other guys did the work to get him the puck.

There are more weaknesses, but that should be enough to not justify giving any kind of contract over $500,000. Ryan Reaves should be making more than #25. If some other team wants to pay him more, fine. Take the draft picks, or whatever the Blues can get, due to #25 being a restricted FA.

He didn't even deserve the ice time received in most playoff games and he was the least played forward in both rounds for valid reasons.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

Blacktooth-Grin
Prospect
Prospect

Post by Blacktooth-Grin »

Interesting UFA's this off-season worth looking at that I would be excited to have if the money is right, and we're willing to spend it.

Zach Parise or Alexander Semin (We're talking some serious $$$ but damn would it be special to have one of them.)
Ryan Suter (I hate him but that can change if this SOB is on our side, and would make a great Jackman replacement)
Jiri Hudler
Andrei Kostitsyn (A wildcard but may perform if you give a 1-year deal and could be a bargain with a mediocre last season)
David Jones

And just to throw it out there for discussion: Jaromir Jagr (retirement pending of course, but talk about a veteran presence)