Islanders Offer Columbus Entire Draft; Turned Down

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Islanders Offer Columbus Entire Draft; Turned Down

Post by dmiles2186 »

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/content/ ... picks.html
How highly did the Blue Jackets value defenseman Ryan Murray before taking him with the No. 2 overall pick in Friday's first round of the NHL Draft? Enough to turn down an eye-opening offer from the New York Islanders, who, according to numerous NHL sources, offered all of their picks -- one in each round -- for the right to move up from No. 4 to No. 2 for Murray.

That's right, for the Jackets' No. 2 pick, the Islanders offered pick Nos. 4, 34, 65, 103, 125, 155 and 185. The bounty would have given the Jackets the following picks: 4, 31, 34, 62, 65, 95, 103, 125, 152, 155, 182 and 185. And if that weren't enough, the Jackets could have had the Kings' No. 30 if they wanted it.

Next week's development camp would have required two sheets of ice.

Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson offered a "no comment" when reached by The Dispatch late Sunday. After Friday's first round, he did mention a "very attractive" trade offer the Blue Jackets declined before selection Murray, a precocious prospect whom many think could play in the NHL this season.

The Islanders, unable to move up for Murray, drafted highly-touted defenseman Griffin Reinhart with the No. 4 pick. But they didn't stop there. The Islanders spent all seven of their picks on defensemen.

-- Aaron Portzline

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Islanders Offer Columbus Entire Draft; Turned Down

Post by kodos »

It get's crazier...

According to this link...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... --nhl.html

The BJ's offers a similar deal to... wait for it... wait for it...

The Blues.
Milbury told our radio partner Jeff Marek two years ago that he once tried to trade all of the Islanders' picks in the draft to the St. Louis Blues one year for their first-rounder. He didn't disclose the year. (It's on the Dec. 23 "Marek Vs. Wyshynski" edition of the podcast.)
The Blues said "no." The Blue Jackets have done the same.
I can only guess that it had to be for Erik Johnson. Man, the Blues should have taken that deal if true.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I would say the Islanders came out pretty good anyway.

But yeah, the Blues should have taken that sucker a few years ago and never looked back.

For reference:

That year, the Islanders took:

1 - Kyle Okposo
2 - Jesse Joensuu
3 - Robin Figren, Brad Marchand and Jonas Ahnelov
4 - Rhett Rahkshani
5 - Brett Bennett
6 - Andrew MacDonald
7 - Troy Matilla

And... players we could have drafted instead of EJ with the #1:

Chris Stewart, Artem Anisimov, Cal Clutterbuck... okay, it was a pretty lousy draft I guess... at least after the top 7 picks. We could have had Toews, or Kessel, but no. We had to get EJ.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

dmiles2186 wrote:http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/content/ ... picks.html
How highly did the Blue Jackets value defenseman Ryan Murray before taking him with the No. 2 overall pick in Friday's first round of the NHL Draft? Enough to turn down an eye-opening offer from the New York Islanders, who, according to numerous NHL sources, offered all of their picks -- one in each round -- for the right to move up from No. 4 to No. 2 for Murray.

That's right, for the Jackets' No. 2 pick, the Islanders offered pick Nos. 4, 34, 65, 103, 125, 155 and 185. The bounty would have given the Jackets the following picks: 4, 31, 34, 62, 65, 95, 103, 125, 152, 155, 182 and 185. And if that weren't enough, the Jackets could have had the Kings' No. 30 if they wanted it.

Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson offered a "no comment" when reached by The Dispatch late Sunday. After Friday's first round, he did mention a "very attractive" trade offer the Blue Jackets declined before selection Murray, a precocious prospect whom many think could play in the NHL this season.

The Islanders, unable to move up for Murray, drafted highly-touted defenseman Griffin Reinhart with the No. 4 pick. But they didn't stop there. The Islanders spent all seven of their picks on defensemen.

-- Aaron Portzline
WOW.

I would've taken that in a heartbeat. With the sheer quantity of defensive prospects in the first round (high first round no less) I would think you'd still get a very high quality player at #4 and with the opportunity to double up the whole rest of the draft? I seriously don't know how you say no to that. Whatever loss you take from dropping two spots you pick up in un-told # of prospects who pan out for effectively doubling your odds of having a productive draft.

Especially with Columbus' track record of first round picks no less :lol:
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

glen a richter wrote:I would say the Islanders came out pretty good anyway.

But yeah, the Blues should have taken that sucker a few years ago and never looked back.

For reference:

That year, the Islanders took:

1 - Kyle Okposo
2 - Jesse Joensuu
3 - Robin Figren, Brad Marchand and Jonas Ahnelov
4 - Rhett Rahkshani
5 - Brett Bennett
6 - Andrew MacDonald
7 - Troy Matilla

And... players we could have drafted instead of EJ with the #1:

Chris Stewart, Artem Anisimov, Cal Clutterbuck... okay, it was a pretty lousy draft I guess... at least after the top 7 picks. We could have had Toews, or Kessel, but no. We had to get EJ.
We could have had Claude Giroux. In fact, we took Berglund ahead of him. D'oh!

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

WaukeeBlues wrote:

-- Aaron Portzline
WOW.

I would've taken that in a heartbeat. With the sheer quantity of defensive prospects in the first round (high first round no less) I would think you'd still get a very high quality player at #4 and with the opportunity to double up the whole rest of the draft? I seriously don't know how you say no to that. Whatever loss you take from dropping two spots you pick up in un-told # of prospects who pan out for effectively doubling your odds of having a productive draft.

I would like to try to make that deal on NHL 13 and see what happens.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

philco_3 wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:

-- Aaron Portzline
WOW.

I would like to try to make that deal on NHL 13 and see what happens.
But you're not allowed to trade in that game unless it's a first round pick for a 35 year old.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk