Shane Doan

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

joosforjihad
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Shane Doan

Post by joosforjihad »

Pay the man his 8-10 million over 2 years and forget about the ineffectual Langenbrunner or whiny Arnott. You know he's hungry for a cup and he's been damn good in the playoffs.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399323

Official sponsor of Andy McDonald's 401k

[joosforjihad] 8:05 pm: Will you spare my life when the robots take over?
[Dooger] 8:05 pm: I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Shane Doan

Post by glen a richter »

Pass
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

I would LOVE to have Doan, but I just don't see him ever leaving that organization.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

F Keenan
All-Star
All-Star

Post by F Keenan »

I'm in. Doan would look great in teh note.
*I tend to only post on this site when I'm intoxicated.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

STLADOGG wrote:I would LOVE to have Doan, but I just don't see him ever leaving that organization.
:plusplus:
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

WaukeeBlues wrote:
STLADOGG wrote:I would LOVE to have Doan, but I just don't see him ever leaving that organization.
I would like to have him along with a bunch of other players but we all know he will go to Detroit.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

philco_3 wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:
I would like to have him along with a bunch of other players but we all know he will go to Detroit.
Without Lidstrom and Stuart I don't know that I would consider them a cup favorite anymore. If I'm Doan at this point in my career with the last best chance to sign with a team that has a realistic shot of the cup, I move out of Phoenix. Yea you've gone farther than ever before in the playoffs but they got handled pretty rough in the conference semi's and they just lost Whitney. Gotta think he's moving on. Could be wrong though.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

Doan's family is in the desert, his life is in the desert and he's seen worse upheavals than losing Whit (Khabs, Roenick, et al). If he was going to leave, he'd have been gone half a decade ago. He's still there and he's not leaving. Part of me hoped he'd do like Dale and play for the Note, but I'm sorry, I can't see it. He's staying with the Yotes and I can't honestly see him play for anyone or anywhere else. I believe he will be rewarded for his loyalty and one thing I'd like to see other than us raise the Cup is that franchise, the Original Jets, who got jacked over with how they were setup in the standings when they made the move from WHL to NHL, who won the AVCO more than once, lift the Cup.

And Doan will lead the way for them, the way a Captain is supposed to. Heck, if through some grace of the almighty that we did somehow get him, I'd take Backes' C right off his shoulder and give it to Doan.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Oaklandblue wrote:Doan's family is in the desert, his life is in the desert and he's seen worse upheavals than losing Whit (Khabs, Roenick, et al). If he was going to leave, he'd have been gone half a decade ago. He's still there and he's not leaving. Part of me hoped he'd do like Dale and play for the Note, but I'm sorry, I can't see it. He's staying with the Yotes and I can't honestly see him play for anyone or anywhere else. I believe he will be rewarded for his loyalty and one thing I'd like to see other than us raise the Cup is that franchise, the Original Jets, who got jacked over with how they were setup in the standings when they made the move from WHL to NHL, who won the AVCO more than once, lift the Cup.

And Doan will lead the way for them, the way a Captain is supposed to. Heck, if through some grace of the almighty that we did somehow get him, I'd take Backes' C right off his shoulder and give it to Doan.
Quite the speech there.

I don't know, I can't help but draw correlations to Ray Bourque, et al. Even the guys who have been in one city, one jersey, forever, want to win a cup. I suppose I could see him signing a shorter term deal and then if it doesn't work out then get traded at the deadline if it's obvious the 'Yotes aren't in it. And that would likely not ruffle as many feathers in Glendale either. Either way, void of them becoming a legitimate cup contender in the next few years, which I doubt, I don't see him ending his career having only played for Phoenix.

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

Pass

Official Sponsor of "The Barn"
2013-2014 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2010-2011 Official Sponsor of Brad Winchester
2009-2010 Official Sponsor of Paul Kariya

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

Sign.
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Apparently, the Blues have interest. If we are going to get anyone, I'd love it to be a player like Doan. Pay the man. One way or another, he'll earn his contract.

Sent from my HTC Android Rezound using Forum Runner.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

They say he's wanting a 3 to 4 year deal and if he leaves PHX, I just think he may be more likely to go to Detroit or Pittsburgh where he may feel better about his chances to win a cup shortly.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Winning Unlimited »

12 roster players at the moment would likely be

Backes, Berglund, D'Agostini, Langenbrunner, McDonald, Oshie, Perron, Reaves, Sobotka, Steen, Stewart, Tarasenko

On the bubble:
Nichol, Schwartz

Sign Doan and trade a roster player? Sounds legit.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Winning Unlimited wrote:12 roster players at the moment would likely be

Backes, Berglund, D'Agostini, Langenbrunner, McDonald, Oshie, Perron, Reaves, Sobotka, Steen, Stewart, Tarasenko

On the bubble:
Nichol, Schwartz

Sign Doan and trade a roster player? Sounds legit.
I think it's a good problem to have. Especially with Tarasenko and Schwartz in the full-time mix now there is going to be a LOT of battling for playing time. If Stewart doesn't elevate by January, I could definitely see a trade before then.

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

There was a report that an Eastern team offered Doan $30 million over 5 years($7.5/year). Yikes.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

STLADOGG wrote:There was a report that an Eastern team offered Doan $30 million over 5 years($7.5/year). Yikes.
Stupid spending on an older player who is decent but past his prime? That has Toronto/Brian Burke written all over it.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

dmiles2186 wrote:
STLADOGG wrote:There was a report that an Eastern team offered Doan $30 million over 5 years($7.5/year). Yikes.
Stupid spending on an older player who is decent but past his prime? That has Toronto/Brian Burke written all over it.
Even front-loaded with incentives, 7.5m is insane for Doan, regardless what Minnesota paid for Parise and Suter. He's a guy we could use and would be effective now. I wouldn't go anymore than 4m and that's front-loaded with incentives. If he's that loyal and that willing to play for loyalty, he'd understand a team's situation and go with something that helps the payroll that'll help win a Cup and finally earn him a ring. At least that's the Shane Doan I've been seeing.

What do we lose by offering him that kind of contract? I know people talk highly about Oshie, but I'm sorry, I don't see it for the money we're offering him for what he's giving us; I'd ship him out for cash and picks* and make a bid for Shane. We've got the reputation of being a players team and with what we're loading up with, Shane might consider a stint in Blue, heck, Hawerchuk did. If Tarasenko and Schwartz do jump and perform the way we want to, with a healthy Perron, a healthy AMac and Shane on-board plus everything else we got, I can see us having a real, legit shot at the Cup.

* I say cash and picks because the general consensus seems to be that the new ownership lacks fundage and I can't honestly see us getting anything worth writing home for, for Oshie beyond a few picks, maybe two third liners. I'm sorry, I might be stupid by saying all this, but I can't see it. Fan favorite in the STL doesn't equate player teams will sign for zillions or trade A-list players for. That's just me.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Oaklandblue wrote:
Even front-loaded with incentives, 7.5m is insane for Doan, regardless what Minnesota paid for Parise and Suter. He's a guy we could use and would be effective now. I wouldn't go anymore than 4m and that's front-loaded with incentives. If he's that loyal and that willing to play for loyalty, he'd understand a team's situation and go with something that helps the payroll that'll help win a Cup and finally earn him a ring. At least that's the Shane Doan I've been seeing.

What do we lose by offering him that kind of contract? I know people talk highly about Oshie, but I'm sorry, I don't see it for the money we're offering him for what he's giving us; I'd ship him out for cash and picks* and make a bid for Shane. We've got the reputation of being a players team and with what we're loading up with, Shane might consider a stint in Blue, heck, Hawerchuk did. If Tarasenko and Schwartz do jump and perform the way we want to, with a healthy Perron, a healthy AMac and Shane on-board plus everything else we got, I can see us having a real, legit shot at the Cup.

* I say cash and picks because the general consensus seems to be that the new ownership lacks fundage and I can't honestly see us getting anything worth writing home for, for Oshie beyond a few picks, maybe two third liners. I'm sorry, I might be stupid by saying all this, but I can't see it. Fan favorite in the STL doesn't equate player teams will sign for zillions or trade A-list players for. That's just me.
If Oshie is traded for a couple 3rd rounders, it would go down as one of the worst trades in Blues history.
You seriously underestimate the value Oshie has to this club and how valuable the league thinks he is.
He plays in all situations, has a scoring touch, hits a ton, is young, and has yet to reach his prime...plus he brings folks into the building.
Any team would love to have him.
I'm not saying he is the next Shanahan, but he is a very valuable player.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

cprice12 wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:

If Oshie is traded for a couple 3rd rounders, it would go down as one of the worst trades in Blues history.
You seriously underestimate the value Oshie has to this club and how valuable the league thinks* he is.
He plays in all situations, has a scoring touch, hits a ton, is young, and has yet to reach his prime...plus he brings folks into the building.
Any team would love to have him.
I'm not saying he is the next Shanahan, but he is a very valuable player.

* Not every GM works for Toronto.

What will brings folks into the building is having a nice Cup to brag about.

I think high enough of Oshie's 'Potential' to cash him out and combine money for Doan.