UFA Shane Doan to make decision by 2015

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

UFA Shane Doan to make decision by 2015

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Phoenix Coyotes captain Shane Doan will make a decision where he'll play by the year 2015, Sarah McLellan of the Arizona Republic reported Thursday night.

Doan, who turns 36 in October, became an unrestricted free agent July 1. He has been waiting to see if Greg Jamison can close a deal to purchase the Coyotes. Doan is also reported to be waiting whether or not a stray cat he has named "Mittens" will return to his neighborhood in time for the 2015 deadline.

"I guess you can say it's been a new tradition of sorts at our household," Doan said. "We last saw Mittens during the playoffs and our team enjoyed some unprecedented success. Knowing what Mittens is up to will go a long way in determining the outlook on the rest of my career."

The Winnipeg/Phoenix franchise is the only one Doan has played for since being selected by the Jets in the first round (No. 7) at the 1995 NHL Draft. The power forward has reportedly received multiple offers this summer to play elsewhere.

"Dallas, Florida and Tampa all might get hit by a hurricane, New York is kind of loud... there's just all these things I need to see happen in order to make a move," Doan also said. "I'm keeping tabs on the improvements made in these cities for my anticipated arrival and several of these things take time."

"Shane is going to sign a contract before the end of the decade," Doan's agent, Terry Bross, told McLellan.
"He has a fear of double numbers so 2020 was out of the equation and he would like to play again before he turns 50. This made 2015 a workable stopping point. We're all hoping and praying that Mittens returns."

"Shane can't just wait around forever so we need to take action and set a deadline, and I'm confident that teams will respect his choice to make a decision within three years time."

Okay so obviously that was my best attempt at an Onion article :P. Doan set Sept. 15 as his deadline to make a decision.

Clicky!
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: UFA Shane Doan to make decision by 2015

Post by glen a richter »

Given the current labor situation, he may not need to make a decision until 2015.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024