JD Is Leaving the Blues

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey.

Moderator: LGB Mods

Re: JD Is Leaving the Blues

Postby glen a richter » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:35 pm

It was supposed to be a rhetorical question, not a question designed to invite ways to ruin my day even more. Thanks guys. :(
Official sponsor of Ian Cole 2011-2012
Official sponsor of Gary Bettman's Pink Slip 2013
Official sponsor of Dmitrij Jaskin 2013-2014
glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 6933
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:02 am
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: JD Is Leaving the Blues

Postby Portland Blues » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:26 pm

glen a richter wrote:It was supposed to be a rhetorical question, not a question designed to invite ways to ruin my day even more. Thanks guys. :(


:letsgoblues: :lol:
User avatar
Portland Blues
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
 
Posts: 2942
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2003 12:38 pm
Location: Portland Orygun

Re: JD Is Leaving the Blues

Postby xbleed83bluex » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:34 pm

Does anyone know what this is about?

I'm confused about this. Why did the Blues organization want to get rid of JD if he still had years on his contract? Were they unhappy with JD's performance? I was under the impression JD was top-notch. Is this a salary issue? Does the organization feel Armstrong can handle both the president and general manager position by himself?
Official 2011-'12 sponsor of the hot chick from the FSMW Blues commercials.
User avatar
xbleed83bluex
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer
 
Posts: 360
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:26 pm

Re: JD Is Leaving the Blues

Postby dmiles2186 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:26 pm

xbleed83bluex wrote:Does anyone know what this is about?

I'm confused about this. Why did the Blues organization want to get rid of JD if he still had years on his contract? Were they unhappy with JD's performance? I was under the impression JD was top-notch. Is this a salary issue? Does the organization feel Armstrong can handle both the president and general manager position by himself?


The company line has been that it's a cost cutting measure. JD was making 2 million a year. Whether that's true or not, who is to say?
Image

Official 2013-2014 Sponsor Extraordinaire of Alex "Petro" Pietrangelo
User avatar
dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 5397
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach

Re: JD Is Leaving the Blues

Postby Winning Unlimited » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:03 am

We'll find someone who will be president, like Hull or Al MacInnis, and wait for it... wait for it.. its like a trade!
Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
User avatar
Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
 
Posts: 3741
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:06 pm
Location: FSU Sports Law PhD

Re: JD Is Leaving the Blues

Postby xbleed83bluex » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:45 am

Winning Unlimited wrote:We'll find someone who will be president, like Hull or Al MacInnis, and wait for it... wait for it.. its like a trade!


I thought Armstrong was going to handle the position of president. If we replace JD with someone else, then we might as well of kept him. If he is replaced then I guess it's really not an issue of salary...
Official 2011-'12 sponsor of the hot chick from the FSMW Blues commercials.
User avatar
xbleed83bluex
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer
 
Posts: 360
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:26 pm

Re: JD Is Leaving the Blues

Postby gaijin » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:33 pm

And it just keeps getting better and better:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/john-davidson-track-over-blue-jackets-140915820--nhl.html

Is John Davidson on track to take over Blue Jackets?

Maybe it's because we're unabashed fans of his broadcasting career and results with the St. Louis Blues, but John Davidson could have a transformative effect on the Columbus Blue Jackets' franchise.

They don't need another Rick Nash — they need a hockey man at the top of the food chain that can take a team in a near-constant state of rebuilding and set it on course for sustained success.

Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch reported on Friday morning that the long-awaited talks between Davidson, who recently stepped down as president of the Blues, and Columbus brass will begin this weekend.

From the Dispatch:

It's unclear how Davidson would fit within the Blue Jackets' hockey operations department, but it's widely assumed around the NHL that he would need the promise of complete autonomy, just as he had with the Blues since joining them as president in 2006.
In that scenario, Davidson would likely assume the title of president of hockey operations, giving him authority of general manager Scott Howson and all hockey decisions. Priest could switch strictly to the business side of the organization, while retaining his rights to serve on the NHL board of governors.

Priest's bio is pretty indicative of a guy that'd rather just run the numbers side of things.

So the wheels are turning on John Davidson to the Blue Jackets. Which is a good thing. Here's Matt Wagner of The Cannon with some cautious optimism:

Based on his experience, resume, and tenure, it's not unreasonable to expect Davidson to command a salary in the high six figures, perhaps even seven. That doesn't seem so bad compared to, say, $5.5 million dollars for James Wisniewski's paycheck, but the lockout complicates things.
As it stands, the Blue Jackets are cutting the work weeks for their front office staff to save money while the team effectively has no access to their primary source of income. To add that financial demand, even if the team "saved" by perhaps reassigning Mike Priest back to Worthington Industries and using the money earmarked for his salary to pay J.D., is a risky move, especially if the lockout eventually threatens the entire season.

True, but few in hockey would say he's not worth the money.
Image
User avatar
gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
 
Posts: 2694
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2003 7:46 pm
Location: An undisclosed location in SW Asia

Re: JD Is Leaving the Blues

Postby not_a_wings_fan » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:36 am

JD has been announced as the president of hockey operations for Columbus.

Great pick up for them.

I suspected that letting JD go would end up biting us in the ass, and now that he's in charge of building a division rival, we will see what happens.

Happy for him, and happy for the fans in Columbus.
Official 2008-2013 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman
Official 2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman
User avatar
not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
 
Posts: 3003
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:27 pm
Location: Anywhere but here

Re: JD Is Leaving the Blues

Postby STLADOGG » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:30 pm

not_a_wings_fan wrote:JD has been announced as the president of hockey operations for Columbus.

Great pick up for them.

I suspected that letting JD go would end up biting us in the ass, and now that he's in charge of building a division rival, we will see what happens.

Happy for him, and happy for the fans in Columbus.

Hopefully for our sake Columbus will move into the East.
Image
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Roman Polak
TW Tiger Woods TW
User avatar
STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star
 
Posts: 2045
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:41 pm
Location: -Saint Freaking Louis-

Re: JD Is Leaving the Blues

Postby Oaklandblue » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:41 am

Question become who is taking over for JD. His replacement might end up being the one that gets us to the next step. With the way the front office has ran things of late (Hired Hitch, acquired Elliott, etc. etc.), I have a great deal of faith in their wisdom. One step at a time, one piece at a time.

Now if we can only get a CBA signed...
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

Image
Oaklandblue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper
 
Posts: 603
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:20 pm

Re: JD Is Leaving the Blues

Postby not_a_wings_fan » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:58 am

Those "good calls" you are citing... wasn't that JD? Cause he's the brains of the operation as near as I can tell.

I am not optimistic until I know who is running the show.
Official 2008-2013 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman
Official 2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman
User avatar
not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
 
Posts: 3003
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:27 pm
Location: Anywhere but here

Re: JD Is Leaving the Blues

Postby Oaklandblue » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:15 pm

not_a_wings_fan wrote:Those "good calls" you are citing... wasn't that JD? Cause he's the brains of the operation as near as I can tell.

I am not optimistic until I know who is running the show.


I don't think any one person pulls the trigger on something like this; from scouts to upper management and even to the ownership, I think this is all done by committee and a decision is reached. I don't think JD operates on his own, but if thats the case and looking at everyone we got while he was with us, then we could very well be screwed. But I don't think such is the case and if he was really that valuable, I would believe the organization would have handed him a blank check and told him to go to the bank.

There's more to the story than what we are seeing, that's obvious. Question is how will it affect us after we're playing hockey. And if this is the worst case scenario and JD was our savior, then I feel what he left us with, players and staff-wise, is enough to mount a serious threat on the ice, once we start playing again.

Our future is bright.
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

Image
Oaklandblue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper
 
Posts: 603
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:20 pm

Re: JD Is Leaving the Blues

Postby sseagle » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:17 pm

Oaklandblue wrote:
not_a_wings_fan wrote:Those "good calls" you are citing... wasn't that JD? Cause he's the brains of the operation as near as I can tell.

I am not optimistic until I know who is running the show.


I don't think any one person pulls the trigger on something like this; from scouts to upper management and even to the ownership, I think this is all done by committee and a decision is reached. I don't think JD operates on his own, but if thats the case and looking at everyone we got while he was with us, then we could very well be screwed. But I don't think such is the case and if he was really that valuable, I would believe the organization would have handed him a blank check and told him to go to the bank.

There's more to the story than what we are seeing, that's obvious. Question is how will it affect us after we're playing hockey. And if this is the worst case scenario and JD was our savior, then I feel what he left us with, players and staff-wise, is enough to mount a serious threat on the ice, IF we EVER start playing again.

Our future is bright.
Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

Image
User avatar
sseagle
All-Star
All-Star
 
Posts: 1992
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:03 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO

Previous

Return to St. Louis Blues Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], flyingnote38, glen a richter, Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, STLADOGG and 7 guests