GDT #3: 1/22/13 > Blues @ Hawks > 7:30 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

GDT #3: 1/22/13 > Blues @ Hawks > 7:30 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Post by dmiles2186 »

The Chicago Blackhawks are off to a stirring start, putting them on the brink of their best in 40 years.

The St. Louis Blues, though, have a chance to win their first three games for the first time in nearly two decades.

A healthy and rejuvenated Marian Hossa looks to spur the Blackhawks in their home opener Tuesday night against the reigning Central Division champions.

Chicago (2-0-0) is in search of its best start to a season since beginning 4-0-0 in 1972-73, while the Blues (2-0-0) haven't started with three straight wins since 1993-94.

The Blackhawks began this season in impressive fashion Saturday, scoring the first four goals in a 5-2 win at Los Angeles to spoil the Stanley Cup champions' banner-raising celebration. They followed that up a day later by beating Phoenix 6-4 in a rematch of their opening-round playoff series, won by the Coyotes in six games.

Hossa may have found some extra motivation in Arizona after suffering a concussion on a vicious hit by Phoenix's Raffi Torres in Game 3. The star right wing spent the lockout recovering, and he's quickly returned to form with two goals in each of the first two games, including the decisive tally 14 seconds into the third period Sunday.

"I felt good off the ice biking and doing the strength, but when I got on the ice it was a little different," Hossa told his team's official website. "The brain had to adjust to so many movements, so many players, such a fast pace ... when I was doing it I didn't feel myself. I'm glad I had time to be prepared. By (January), my head was clear and I wasn't afraid to go into the corners."

St. Louis has struggled to slow down Hossa. He has 10 goals and seven assists in 17 meetings over his first three seasons with Chicago, including six goals in eight matchups at the United Center.

The Blackhawks have won seven straight at home versus the Blues, but St. Louis arrives in Chicago with confidence after beating Detroit 6-0 at home Saturday and claiming a 4-3 shootout win at Nashville on Monday.

"It's our first road game of the year, we were down by a goal and end up tying it up and winning," center Jaden Schwartz said. "We had a little adversity there, and we came through so I think we can build on that."

Vladimir Tarasenko is looking to continue a brilliant start to his NHL career after getting one goal and two assists against the Predators, setting up Alex Pietrangelo's third-period tally that eventually forced overtime and the shootout. The 21-year-old right wing found the net twice against the Red Wings in his NHL debut.

"Vladi's playing really, really well right now," coach Ken Hitchcock said. "We've got a couple lines really playing well right now."

Brian Elliott is expected to be in net after replacing an ineffective Jaroslav Halak in the second period Monday and stopping all 13 shots he faced - not to mention both shootout attempts.

Elliott went 23-10-4 while setting franchise records with a 1.56 goals-against average and nine shutouts last season. He's 1-2-1 with a 2.21 GAA in four meetings with the Blackhawks, losing both visits to Chicago despite a 1.93 GAA.
Team Comparison
BLUES (2-0-0) at BLACKHAWKS (2-0-0)

TV: FS-Midwest; CSN-Chicago

Season series: It’s the first of five meetings this season between the Central Division rivals. The Blackhawks won four of six last season, though they needed a shootout in each of the last two.

Big story: After a sensational start out West this past weekend, the Hawks play their home opener before what’s sure to be a packed house at the United Center. But the Blues have also won their first two games, including a 4-3 shootout win at Nashville on Monday.

Team Scope:

Blues: Two nights after they proved they can make winning look easy, the Blues also showed they have some resilience. St. Louis trailed 3-2 entering the third period at Nashville, but Alex Pietrangelo’s third-period goal forced overtime and T.J. Oshie and Alex Steen connected in the shootout for a 4-3 victory.

"It's our first road game of the year, we were down by a goal and end up tying it up and winning," center Jaden Schwartz said. "We had a little adversity there, and we came through so I think we can build on that."

The Blues outshot the Predators 39-24 and have nearly doubled the output of their first two opponents – 75-38.

Blackhawks: Shades of 2009-10. Though it’s only a two-game sample, this season’s Hawks look a lot like the Cup-winners of three years ago in terms of having a balanced offense that’s generating lots of goals.

Chicago routed Los Angeles 5-2 in its opener on Saturday and outscored Phoenix 6-4 on Sunday, giving the Hawks 11 goals in two games.

“I know it's only two games and it's early to be talking about it,” forward Marian Hossa told the Chicago Tribune on Monday, “[but] we're rolling four lines so everybody is more energized instead of playing two or three lines so much ice time. So far, we are happy about it."

Who’s hot: Rookie Vladimir Tarasenko has been a shot in the arm for the Blues’ offense. The 21-year-old Russian followed up a two-goal performance in his NHL debut on Saturday with a goal and two assists against Nashville. … Hossa is coming off back-to-back two-goal games, showing no ill effects from the season-ending concussion he suffered in the playoffs last spring.

Injury report: The Blues are healthy. … Chicago is without forward Daniel Carcillo, who sustained a lower-body injury in the third period of Saturday’s win at L.A. and is expected to miss about a month. Rookie Brendan Saad will replace Carcillo on the top line with Hossa and Jonathan Toews.
[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by dmiles2186 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: GDT #3: 1/22/13 > Blues @ Hawks > 7:30 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Post by gaijin »

Man, this game should be chippy. Both teams sitting at 2-0-0, looking to establish themselves as the team to beat in the Division. Plus, you know, Blues-Blackhawks.

:goblues: :letsgoblues: :hawkssuck:

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

I don't have a good feeling about this game.
Back to back nights for us...Chicago didn't play yesterday...we're in Chicago.

I think we only win this one 4-3. :grin:
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Blues won't take this one, unfortunately.

Hawks 3
Blues 2 (Tarasenko, Schwartz)
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

I feel a shutout coming. Not the good one.
Blues 0
Hawks 3
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Winning Unlimited »

Tarasenko steps his game up.
  • *38th in the NHL with a 37% shooting percentage.
    *Did not score in the shootout last night.
Blues with 3-2 in an OT thriller. And the Blues are led to victory quietly by Elliott and Shattenkirk. Did you know that Shatty22 leads defensemen in points? dmiles and FKeenan are our forums GDT tandem.

F Keenan
All-Star
All-Star

Post by F Keenan »

Elliott > Crawford and if it's Emery < Elliott. Blues haven't won in Chicago in the last 7 visits, we're due.

Blues 3
Hawks 1

Stewart gets 2. Tanks with an empty netter.
*I tend to only post on this site when I'm intoxicated.

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Winning Unlimited »

Any news on Andy Mac? or Vlad's interpreter?

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Winning Unlimited wrote:Any news on Andy Mac? or Vlad's interpreter?
On Twitter last night, I believe it was JR who posted that Hitch said Amac is fine, will just need a few stitches. No Keith Tkachuk reconstructive dental surgery needed.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I don't have a great feeling about tonight either. Road game after traveling the night before with no off-day. Hopefully it's early enough in the season (plus a rivalry game) to overcome that.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

If our first two lines don't play better then they have the first two games then we're in trouble here. I'm not talking about the play of the individual players, but the lines as a whole.

That said, we've got 4 out of an available 4 points with our top top line underachieving......it's kind of scary how good this team 'could' be.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

Start swapping goalies again. Last night Elliott should have started anyway. Today start Halak.

Crawford and Emery are not on the same level as Halak/Elliott. They are beatable. I'm actually surprised that these guys aren't hunting down and signing Luongo. After losing Niemi to the Sharks, they've had good netminding but nothing to write home about.

Perron and Pie are the questionables at this point. Is Perron experiencing some sort of concussion-related syndromes? He's not been himself..

Tank will start things off with scoring with backup from AMac and Bergs. Expect the kind of game we saw last night.

We take this one in OT 2-1.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

ramsfan115
Prospect
Prospect

Post by ramsfan115 »

Oaklandblue wrote:Start swapping goalies again. Last night Elliott should have started anyway. Today start Halak.

Crawford and Emery are not on the same level as Halak/Elliott. They are beatable. I'm actually surprised that these guys aren't hunting down and signing Luongo. After losing Niemi to the Sharks, they've had good netminding but nothing to write home about.

Perron and Pie are the questionables at this point. Is Perron experiencing some sort of concussion-related syndromes? He's not been himself..

Tank will start things off with scoring with backup from AMac and Bergs. Expect the kind of game we saw last night.

I can agree with you on Perron, but Petro?? He has a goal and 2 assists with a plus 2 so far, and averaging around 24 minutes of ice time, with one penalty in that duration. I actually see him as an asset instead of of a liability at this point...

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

ramsfan115 wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:Start swapping goalies again. Last night Elliott should have started anyway. Today start Halak.

I can agree with you on Perron, but Petro?? He has a goal and 2 assists with a plus 2 so far, and averaging around 24 minutes of ice time, with one penalty in that duration. I actually see him as an asset instead of of a liability at this point...
They're both assets, don't get me wrong. Pie just seems abit off to me and it might just be me. Perron has me worried atm.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

stinkdified
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by stinkdified »

while the Blues (2-0-0) haven't started with three straight wins since 1993-94.
Man, this would be sa-weet! Don't quite think its going to happen. Here's to hopin' though. Hoping that the majority of us in here are wrong, lol.
dmiles2186 wrote:No Keith Tkachuk reconstructive dental surgery needed.
oh god, my sides...
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Alex Pietrangelo

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Oaklandblue wrote:
ramsfan115 wrote:

They're both assets, don't get me wrong. Pie just seems abit off to me and it might just be me. Perron has me worried atm.
Pietro made a couple of uncharacteristic mistakes last night before sniping that goal from a sick angle. Even if he's awful for a week at some point, I wouldn't consider him a questionable. He's a Norris candidate that had a mediocre game.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

amusiac
All-Star
All-Star

Post by amusiac »

Any word on Redden?

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

Note 3
Black Cocks 2
F/OT
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

Frusciante
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by Frusciante »

ramsfan115 wrote:

In my book Petro is responsible for at least two, if not all of the goals we let in yesterday. On the first goal he made a rookie mistake in the neutral zone causing the breakaway. The second one he could've prevented in an initial phase when he let the Predator forward skate by him far too easily on the flank, before passing it in front of goal. On the third goal he failed to keep an eye on Hörnqvist, who was left completely unmarked beside Halak. Granted, he was not single handedly responsible as Halak probably should've saved both number 2 and 3, but I'm not used to seeing Petro making these mistakes. It's disturbing to say the least. But then again, as with Perron, it's probably just rust from not playing for half a year, which we will have to live with for a while now.

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

I'm watching that game 3 game between the Flyers and Penguins last year. If anyone can remember it, I am hoping to see some of that tonight.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW