GDT #4: 1/24/13 > Blues vs. Preds > 7:00 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: GDT #4: 1/24/13 > Blues vs. Preds > 7:00 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Post by Portland Blues »

AlsWoodenStick wrote:
Portland Blues wrote:Seriously? The "Tele-Panger."

:facepalm:
What about the "Tarasenk-show"? :lol:
Another crowd pleaser is when they refer to Twitter as "The Twitter."

:wink:

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

That was a dominant defensive game, Halak did what he needed to do, got a little help on the offensive win, and it was a comfortable win.

Thought Perron was much better tonight, still took a dumb offensive zone penalty, but he was creating chances on the offensive end. Oshie had a good game as well. Backes seemed a bit quiet, but I have a feeling he'll come around soon enough.

I think I need to get my Tarasenko jersey ordered right away.

In the limited time I noticed Redden on the ice, he was solid, if unspectacular. But for not having played an NHL game in 3 years, I think that was about the best we could hope for. Looking forward to seeing more out of him in the next few games.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

That was pretty much exactly what I was hoping to see.

I know the 'held' Detroit to 14 shot...but that had as much to do with the Red Wings' lack of interest as it did our play.

They absolutely suffocated Nashville last night. In every zone, the minute the Preds had the puck we pressured it. There was no standing around, and much less 'cherry picking'.

GREAT GAME!

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

I do not recall ever seeing a more complete rookie forward playing this well for St Louis. These are all the things Tarasenko does: Hits, doesn't back down when shoved, very responsible defensively marking his man, knows when to help in the defensive end, incredibly quick release on his shot (Brett Hull quick), outstanding puck-handling skills. The only semi-weak area has been passing and that has gotten better every game. Considering the Blues have not had a full practice since the season started, this kid is only going to get better. It's not like opponents can ignore MacDonald and Steen whenever Tarasenko is on the ice. How many other players had 4 goals after only 4 games played in the NHL?? I don't know. He should have had 2 assists tonight with the way he set up MacDonald, but Rinne made two incredible saves.

So, an interesting side note, if one includes the shootout the Blues had vs Nashville on Monday, the Blues have scored 4 straight goals on breakaways vs Pekka Rinne - 2 in the shootout, Berglund on a penalty shot (tonight), and Tarasenko (tonight).

Stewart is playing better in terms of not losing the puck every time he is on the boards, but... a big concern is he is still making the same mistake when entering a zone with the puck and a defender in front of him. He seemingly refuses to put the puck deep and insists on trying to finesse the puck past defenseman as he crosses the blueline. This has never worked for him (still doesn't) and he needs to eliminate that shit from his game. It costs opportunities for the Blues and creates opportunities for opponents while forcing the defense to play more cautiously any time he is the puck carrier entering the zone.

Blues looked really good defensively last night. Still amazed watching how Tarasenko plays the game. Panger was commenting on the two moves Tarasenko favors when getting past defenseman - the cool thing about the two moves, if a defenseman cheats to prevent one, the other one works and his quickness and skill with the puck allow him to switch darn near mid-stream once a defender commits.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

abc789987 wrote:Image
What the f....?

:lol:
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

As Tarasenko gets stronger, he'll just get better. He played a real sound game but a couple times it looked like he was overmatched a bit. If this is him playing when he's not accustomed to the NHL style of hockey, I can't want to see him when he is accustomed to it. A two way forward who can score at a ppg+ clip is just what the doctor ordered for this team.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Oshie has turned a corner and becomes a candidate to be a ppg player himself. The kid looks real good out there.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

glen a richter wrote:As Tarasenko gets stronger, he'll just get better. He played a real sound game but a couple times it looked like he was overmatched a bit. If this is him playing when he's not accustomed to the NHL style of hockey, I can't want to see him when he is accustomed to it. A two way forward who can score at a ppg+ clip is just what the doctor ordered for this team.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Oshie has turned a corner and becomes a candidate to be a ppg player himself. The kid looks real good out there.
I think you could argue that every player can look outmatched during a couple plays every game.

I don't think that looking overmatched a couple times has anything to do with him being a rookie...I think it just makes him like any other dominant player. When they aren't dominant, people notice because it's not the norm.

Non issue.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

Am I the only one that's (Franking) SICK of hearing "Jackman has it, can't clear" 10 times a game for the past ~10 years? Is this not something that can be corrected? Just (Franking) clear the puck, you don't need to try and bleed 3-5 seconds off every time. Never ceases to amaze me, year in and year out that's the most consistent feature of the Blues play.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

drwoland wrote:Am I the only one that's (Frank) SICK of hearing "Jackman has it, can't clear" 10 times a game for the past ~10 years? Is this not something that can be corrected? Just (Frank) clear the puck, you don't need to try and bleed 3-5 seconds off every time. Never ceases to amaze me, year in and year out that's the most consistent feature of the Blues play.
Check the Stars GDT. Pietrangelo was horrible tonight blowing several clearing chances. One of which - along with Sobotka and Jackman failing to clear on the same PK shift - led to a PPG against.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season