GDT #10: 2/7/13 > Blues vs. Wing Dings > 7:00 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Shanahan19
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Re: GDT #10: 2/7/13 > Blues vs. Wing Dings > 7:00 PM > FSMW/

Post by Shanahan19 »

Oaklandblue wrote:
The point is NOT to just make the playoffs. The point is to win it all. That's what they practice all year, that's why we play games. We're not competing for statistics or to say we make the playoffs x year or didn't make it y year, NO ONE REMEMBERS THAT. All they remember is if you won it all. Or not.

As it stands, we are the only Second Six team left who has not won the Cup. And for me that is unacceptable. It should be unacceptable to the front office and unacceptable to the management and this team. But they play like garbage and they have played like garbage and lulled at the times when they needed to play the hardest. These guys know what they're supposed to do and they do not do it. They won't do it to win a Cup and they don't even try. They laid down and died in front of LA last year. No effort. No nothing except for a Chris Stewart attempt to turn the tide psychologically and that is sad. And now we're seeing more of this display. Unacceptable.

This team will NOT do what it takes to win the Cup. They flat out do not care. And their play shows it. Yeah, we shot down Detroit in Game One, but tell me, you going to count a lame duck in as a skilled adversary for us? Is that where the true level of our bar is held at? Sure looks that way.
This.

How the Blues have not stolen perfect examples of how to build a long term Cup winner/contender when the greatest example of the modern era is in our division (Detroit) is beyond me.

St. Louis has long tolerated the low bar of playoff experiences over real, epic playoff pain of conference and finals losing to learn how to win the Cup. It's much easier to die off in the first or second round than risk that crushing feeling of dying in the Finals and having to learn what it really takes to be champions.

This team does have the potential to be a great team. But in our tradition we seem to get to a certain point of "good enough" and stop.
"Shanahan beating up on a Winnipeg player..." - Ken Wilson April 14, 1994

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

Oakland--your extreme pessimism is a total buzz kill. This is a good, talented team. Right now, we appear to have too many chiefs and not enough Indians. Elliott is handing out rebounds rather freely. Shit happens.

You're talking a lot about the damned Stanley Cup. Yeah, I would love to see a Blue captain hoist it. But as long as it's just once, I'm cool. If it's not this year, who cares? Do we really want our only championship too be asterisked by the shortened season? Other fan bases laugh at us enough as it is. If they can keep Pietrangelo and continue to plug guys in here and there, they'll get your blasted trophy. Take a fa-king Xanax and let the torture of following this team wash over you.

(PS if they somehow won it this year, trust me...I wouldn't bitch. It'd be like bootin' Kate Upton out of bed for eating crackers.)
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

Toasted Oates wrote:Oakland--your extreme pessimism is a total buzz kill. This is a good, talented team. Right now, we appear to have too many chiefs and not enough Indians. Elliott is handing out rebounds rather freely. Shit happens.

You're talking a lot about the damned Stanley Cup. Yeah, I would love to see a Blue captain hoist it. But as long as it's just once, I'm cool. If it's not this year, who cares? Do we really want our only championship too be asterisked by the shortened season? Other fan bases laugh at us enough as it is. If they can keep Pietrangelo and continue to plug guys in here and there, they'll get your blasted trophy. Take a fa-king Xanax and let the torture of following this team wash over you.

(PS if they somehow won it this year, trust me...I wouldn't bitch. It'd be like bootin' Kate Upton out of bed for eating crackers.)
It's not pessimism as much as it is demanding more out of a team that should be performing, especially a team supposedly as talented as this one is.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Oaklandblue wrote:
Toasted Oates wrote:Oakland--your extreme pessimism is a total buzz kill. This is a good, talented team. Right now, we appear to have too many chiefs and not enough Indians. Elliott is handing out rebounds rather freely. Shit happens.

It's not pessimism as much as it is demanding more out of a team that should be performing, especially a team supposedly as talented as this one is.
I think you should remove the word "Proud" from your sig with the pitiful display Chris Stewart has shown the last three games. :P
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I wouldn't be opposed to a panic trade right now. Chris Stewart and Kris Russell for Ryan McDonagh. Do it Army!
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

theohall wrote: I think you should remove the word "Proud" from your sig with the pitiful display Chris Stewart has shown the last three games. :P
This could easily go for quite a few people, too. :wink:
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Oaklandblue wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:
It sounds like you are predicting the Central to run the table against us the rest of the year. Is that really what you're saying?
1/22/13 - 3-2 Hawks
2/01/13 - 5-3 Wings
2/05/13 - 6-1 Preds
2/07/13 - 5-1 Wings

And I'm not going to list the lame duck Wings 6-0 blowout on a team that even the Leafs could have beaten with their fourth line OR the 4-3 Shootout Win that could have gone either way with the Preds.

In short, I don't have to predict a damn thing. They're doing it. We play another 10 games against inter-division rivals. Do the math.

So what are we doing about it? So far, absolutely nothing.
You're also not including our two wins against the Preds which include a dominant 3-0 win and a road 3rd period comeback.

I'm not saying to high five your dog about how we're playing. But, a 3 game losing streak doesn't mean the sky is falling.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen