GDT #11: 2/9/13 > Blues vs. Ducks > 7:00 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Shanahan19
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Re: GDT #11: 2/9/13 > Blues vs. Ducks > 7:00 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Post by Shanahan19 »

glen a richter wrote:Could it be a couple of bad seeds on the team? Perron seems to be pretty franking selfish with the puck on a regular basis. Stewart only shows up when it suits his mood. I wouldn't be against them trading both.
Stewart should have been given a bus ticket long ago.

Perron has talent but at every whistle he seems to be yapping at the refs. Yes the refs aren't great this year but shut your mouth, play your shifts, and don't be Crosby. If the refs want to talk to a player they will go to the man with the C and there is a reason it's not on Perron.
"Shanahan beating up on a Winnipeg player..." - Ken Wilson April 14, 1994

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

im sitting here watching this LA vs Det game
Det isnt very good, duh. But! it seems like they play as a team and they are aggressive.

This Blues team can be pretty damn awesome. The first period yesterday. Pressure, speed, and aggressiveness. Why let up with that shit??? I dont get it!

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

A lack of physical capability? Maybe they need to improve on their strength and conditioning.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

One thing still continues.

Blues dominate almost the entire first period. They basically make one mistake. Result - goal for the Ducks. Yes, that one is on Elliot, not just Perron for not getting the puck deep.
2nd period the Blues sucked. Started good, Stewart mis-fires on a shot and the Ducks never let off the gas for the rest of the period, while the Blues can't get off the mat. (Stewart had a good game, so not trying to bash him here.)
3rd period - Blues get back in it and are dominating for a 9+ minute stretch. One mistake at the end of that stretch - Ducks goal.

This is part of what has been killing them. Almost every big mistake results in a goal against. This started in the Detroit game before the blown call on Backes, so it's not the penalty call.

They have to reduce the unforced errors that keep resulting in goals.

I do have to bash one thing on Stewart. During a 2nd period shift, he was at the opposing blueline, the puck did not get deep in the zone, all of the rest of the Blues are hustling back defensively. He stood there watching the puck be passed up the ice towards the blues zone and looked way too lackadaisacal getting back defensively. This is the crap he has to eliminate from his game, or he can go. If Stewart keeps getting rewarded ice time when not doing the defensive work the rest of the team does, what message does that send to the rest of the team? Heck, Tarasenko is already better defensively than Stewart. Why not give Tarasenko some 4-on-4 time in OT? Put him and Steen out there.

One question - If Berglund was 0 for 9 in shootouts (now 0 for 10), why ever use him in a shootout? Aren't Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk offensively skilled defenseman more than capable of scoring on a breakaway? We've seen Pietrangelo score with some really nice touch backhands. Heck, what about Schwartz?
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

theohall wrote:One thing still continues.

Blues dominate almost the entire first period. They basically make one mistake. Result - goal for the Ducks. Yes, that one is on Elliot, not just Perron for not getting the puck deep.
2nd period the Blues sucked. Started good, Stewart mis-fires on a shot and the Ducks never let off the gas for the rest of the period, while the Blues can't get off the mat. (Stewart had a good game, so not trying to bash him here.)
3rd period - Blues get back in it and are dominating for a 9+ minute stretch. One mistake at the end of that stretch - Ducks goal.

This is part of what has been killing them. Almost every big mistake results in a goal against. This started in the Detroit game before the blown call on Backes, so it's not the penalty call.

They have to reduce the unforced errors that keep resulting in goals.

I do have to bash one thing on Stewart. During a 2nd period shift, he was at the opposing blueline, the puck did not get deep in the zone, all of the rest of the Blues are hustling back defensively. He stood there watching the puck be passed up the ice towards the blues zone and looked way too lackadaisacal getting back defensively. This is the crap he has to eliminate from his game, or he can go. If Stewart keeps getting rewarded ice time when not doing the defensive work the rest of the team does, what message does that send to the rest of the team? Heck, Tarasenko is already better defensively than Stewart. Why not give Tarasenko some 4-on-4 time in OT? Put him and Steen out there.

One question - If Berglund was 0 for 9 in shootouts (now 0 for 10), why ever use him in a shootout? Aren't Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk offensively skilled defenseman more than capable of scoring on a breakaway? We've seen Pietrangelo score with some really nice touch backhands. Heck, what about Schwartz?
This.

Favortism comes to mind. Everything that's going wrong on this team reeks of a Fraternity, not a team.

Stewart should be gone, end of story. Perron should be benched. While I don't blame Halak or Elliott for the situation we're in at the moment, Jake Allen should be playing simply to show that these guys are replaceable and if you're not contributing, you're gone. Halak and Elliott worked best when they competed for the spot. Make them compete for it and watch how amazing they become. Elliott produced for no other reason than he knew that he was on the catbird seat and had to make an effort to keep playing for an NHL team. This should be rule one for every player AND it needs to be enforced. It's that other half of the sentence that I feel we're not doing.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

After thinking this situation over, this slump could benefit the Blues.
They go thru adversity here maybe drop out of a playoff spot, then realize that they never want that to happen again.
Last edited by STLADOGG on Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

STLADOGG wrote:After thinking this situation over, this slump could benefit the Blues.
They go thru adversity her maybe drop out of a playoff spot, then realize that they never want that to happen again.
Agreed. This is what my optimistic side is saying. Nearly every team that makes a championship run goes through adversity at some point. Whether it's early in the season, late, in the postseason, or all of the above, it's what allows a team to gel and put things together to make a run.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

Shanahan19
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by Shanahan19 »

Krigloch the Furious wrote:im sitting here watching this LA vs Det game
Det isnt very good, duh. But! it seems like they play as a team and they are aggressive.

This Blues team can be pretty damn awesome. The first period yesterday. Pressure, speed, and aggressiveness. Why let up with that shit??? I dont get it!
Det has veteran leadership in Z, Dats, etc to not let one play or game destroy them for an entire game or string of games. They know exactly what is required to win deep into the playoffs.

Who on our team has that knowledge?

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

Off the top of my head:
Hitch, Langs and AMac.

The problem isn't veteran or past Cup experience leadership, its leadership and accountability, plain and simple.
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

Langenbrunner is basically done for the year though, a hip replacement takes weeks to rehab...
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

Shanahan19
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by Shanahan19 »

Oaklandblue wrote:Off the top of my head:
Hitch, Langs and AMac.

The problem isn't veteran or past Cup experience leadership, its leadership and accountability, plain and simple.
Langs isn't on the ice and AMac isn't the same level of star leadership of a Zetterberg. Hitch thought it better to watch tape than have a punishing practice session. I don't see a player that commands presence, leadership or respect by simply being there.

Players need to be scared of their coach. But the coach shouldn't be a crazy, screamer 24/7 either. I think Hitch is leaning way too much to being nice.

The Blues seem to be the Ottawa of the West. Great build with youth, but there is no finisher, no cap stone. Who is the pivotal player on this team? A Brodeur, Yzerman, Lecavalier, who?

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

This team won't pay top dollar or even mid-range dollar for elites, so we're stuck with what we got.

As for assets? On paper, Halak and Elliott, Pie, AMac and Tank. Everyone else is pretty much constructive trade bait, including Backes.

Why AMac? Because for as long as we've had him, Andy has been the single most consistent player to wear the Note. We've seen players hit high and burn out but Andy has been consistant. Frankly, he should be wearing the C, not Backes, if we're going to discuss players with a Ring who have fought uphill to earn them, there is no team in the last 20 years who have fought and lost in the finals to strengthen themselves and win the Cup 5 years later than the Ducks. And AMac was part of that.

If they won't listen to that kind of leadership, we have the wrong players on the team.

And why the Hell do we need FIVE Alternates AND a Captain? There isn't that many players here who deserve it or have earned it. Wearing a letter is more than goals and assists.

APOD
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by APOD »

Oaklandblue wrote:As for assets? On paper, Halak and Elliott, Pie, AMac and Tank. Everyone else is pretty much constructive trade bait, including Backes. I would like to add shatty to the list and Oshie.

And why the Hell do we need FIVE Alternates AND a Captain? There isn't that many players here who deserve it or have earned it. Wearing a letter is more than goals and assists.
I never understood that? 1 C and 2 A, players should choose who wears them.

I like Backes as a captain and jackman and AMac as alt. Ive nothing but good things about backes in the locker room and Jackman has years and AMac as well.

I'm all for trading DP and russel for a game changer though.

Anyway we are in a slump I'm not going to worry till I see were we are at 20 games March 1st game.
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor or Brian Elliott
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Jori Lehtera
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Chris Stewart / Steve Ott and the trade that made it happen!
2012-errr.......Just 2013 LGB Sponsor of Andy McDonald

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

February is a short month, by March 1st we may very well be out of a playoff spot. If there's action that needs to be taken, it needs to be taken asap.

And yeah, Shatts goes on that list provided we can't package him with someone to get an elite back, why I didn't put him on this list originally. Oshie would go with an * on his because he played like garbage before being given a prove-it-or-get-out contract where he magically put up the numbers he is capable of which says a lot about the man behind the player, in my eyes.

Edited because my phone posted my draft and not the final version. Blackberry for the Fail.
Last edited by Oaklandblue on Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shanahan19
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by Shanahan19 »

Oaklandblue wrote:This team won't pay top dollar or even mid-range dollar for elites, so we're stuck with what we got.

As for assets? On paper, Halak and Elliott, Pie, AMac and Tank. Everyone else is pretty much constructive trade bait, including Backes.

Why AMac? Because for as long as we've had him, Andy has been the single most consistent player to wear the Note. We've seen players hit high and burn out but Andy has been consistant. Frankly, he should be wearing the C, not Backes, if we're going to discuss players with a Ring who have fought uphill to earn them, there is no team in the last 20 years who have fought and lost in the finals to strengthen themselves and win the Cup 5 years later than the Ducks. And AMac was part of that.

If they won't listen to that kind of leadership, we have the wrong players on the team.

Blues have had a way of getting rid of elite all-stars (Hull, Shanahan, Pronger, etc) who go to teams that assemble for winning the whole thing rather than bragging about consecutive years of making playoffs.

I am not a big fan of Jackman, but I bet Jackman and AMac are the most mature souls in that locker room. I think Tank, while very early, is more mature that many of our players.

Right on about the Ducks. Instead of trashing NJ, Det, etc we should be intently studying how they scout, develop, lead, etc a consistently, Cup contending team.

Your off-limits trade list is spot on as well. Though I fear Halak would be happier in the East.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

Shanahan19 wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:This team won't pay top dollar or even mid-range dollar for elites, so we're stuck with what we got.

Blues have had a way of getting rid of elite all-stars (Hull, Shanahan, Pronger, etc) who go to teams that assemble for winning the whole thing rather than bragging about consecutive years of making playoffs.

I am not a big fan of Jackman, but I bet Jackman and AMac are the most mature souls in that locker room. I think Tank, while very early, is more mature that many of our players.

Right on about the Ducks. Instead of trashing NJ, Det, etc we should be intently studying how they scout, develop, lead, etc a consistently, Cup contending team.

Your off-limits trade list is spot on as well. Though I fear Halak would be happier in the East.
I have to agree with the Halak quote. In the East, he'd be a beast. When we got him, I was hoping we'd have sign Vokoun instead; he's got a reliable GAA that's been consistant and solid and sound playoff experience, both pluses for what we're trying to achieve.

Elliott has always struck me as a guy that can bail you out if all systems are go but if he's rattled, he falls apart like glass and what seems to rattle him is a team that is lazy playing, like it sucks out his will. Frankly, how these guys have played in the last four days has sapped my will too.

Forget Bag Skate as a punishment, they should be doing this til morale improves.