Jake Allen Is Back!!

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

KCFederko
Prospect
Prospect

Re: Jake Allen Is Back!!

Post by KCFederko »

When I see a team get "demoralized" that quickly, it means a lack of effort to me.
I disagree. You can have a great team effort but if one person sabotages the whole team effort it is not uncommon to have it demoralize the group.

It is not a result of lack of effort.
Also, I didn't realize our save % was that bad, holy frankinballs.
Yeah, it is brutal :(

I'd be just fine with that situation, I think someone would make a claim on Ells, but the more I see of Allen the more I like him.
IF Allen shows himself worthy of a spot on the NHL team, who cares if someone makes a claim on Elliott??

You should still have two NHL caliber goalies and for less money actually. Not that is a concern with this team cap wise. But the production shouldn't drop if Allen proves himself NHL worthy.

Sure Elliott was great last year, but his previous time in Ottawa and Colorado look more like career backup than NHL All Star to me.

Be thankful you got All Star production from him last year and move on.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

What I'm seeing is that on a number of the goals Allen is giving up, they're ones where no one in the world, short of due to pure luck, could stop. I don't think he stood a chance on Couture's goal today, for example. If the rest of the team tightens it up a little more, you'll see more wins with a lower GAA and higher save % from Allen. He's the real deal, he's fundamental and he's the future.

That said, I ultimately don't care if he gives up 3 a game if the offense is potting 4+ a game. I kind of like this new look offensive Blues team. As long as they keep scoring in bunches the defense will catch up and we'll finally have the team we thought we were getting. If the goal scoring runs dry, however, we're quite franked. I'm trying to imagine this team playing basically the way they have since the offensive eruption started, + Tarasenko, + Rattie, + Jaskin. There's a lot of potential for a team with the offense of Chicago and the defense of the 2011-12 Blues/Rangers being put together.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

AlsWoodenStick
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by AlsWoodenStick »

KCFederko wrote:
IF Allen shows himself worthy of a spot on the NHL team, who cares if someone makes a claim on Elliott??

You should still have two NHL caliber goalies and for less money actually. Not that is a concern with this team cap wise. But the production shouldn't drop if Allen proves himself NHL worthy.

Sure Elliott was great last year, but his previous time in Ottawa and Colorado look more like career backup than NHL All Star to me.

Be thankful you got All Star production from him last year and move on.
I never said that I would be heartbroken with losing Ells... Allen backing up is fine by me.
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

BlueMojo
Prospect
Prospect

Post by BlueMojo »

What contract problems would the Blues face if they sent Elliott down to Peoria to get his groove back? Probably can't do that with Halak. Sad we've gone from the best tandem last year and Elliott being an All-Star to this. Anyone think Halak is still not 100%?

In defense of the goalies, the other Blues have seemed to disappear in the Third Period several times. You shoot enough bullets, one is bound to hit something!