Jake Allen Is Back!!

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Jake Allen Is Back!!

Post by glen a richter »

Osgood was totally the product of the team he played on. I could have backstopped the Red Wings to at least a couple of wins given the offensive and defensive firepower they had, and I'm quite literally the worst goalie in the world. True story in 8th grade we played deck hockey in gym and no one ever wanted to play goal so they always threw me in there even though I preferred defense. In a 5 week span I gave up roughly 50 goals (I believe) to a girl and the opposing goalie also notched a goal against me. And I could have won a game or two on that Detroit team. Osgood is not an elite goalie, not now not ever and he should absolutely not be mentioned in the same breath as Roy.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Shanahan19
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by Shanahan19 »

glen a richter wrote:Osgood was totally the product of the team he played on. I could have backstopped the Red Wings to at least a couple of wins given the offensive and defensive firepower they had, and I'm quite literally the worst goalie in the world. True story in 8th grade we played deck hockey in gym and no one ever wanted to play goal so they always threw me in there even though I preferred defense. In a 5 week span I gave up roughly 50 goals (I believe) to a girl and the opposing goalie also notched a goal against me. And I could have won a game or two on that Detroit team. Osgood is not an elite goalie, not now not ever and he should absolutely not be mentioned in the same breath as Roy.
Still better than DiPietro. :okman:
"Shanahan beating up on a Winnipeg player..." - Ken Wilson April 14, 1994

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

After the way the team plays with him in net, I hope he is here to stay. Can I trade Elliot for Allen in my sponsorship?

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

abc789987 wrote:After the way the team plays with him in net, I hope he is here to stay. Can I trade Elliot for Allen in my sponsorship?
No some newb will grab him when the sponsor thread is started at 1:30 pm on a non game day
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

sseagle wrote:
abc789987 wrote:After the way the team plays with him in net, I hope he is here to stay. Can I trade Elliot for Allen in my sponsorship?
No some newb will grab him when the sponsor thread is started at 1:30 pm on a non game day
Next year you let me know when you will be online a week or so before the season starts and I'll be sure to create it then so it's the most convenient for you. :okman:
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

cprice12 wrote:
sseagle wrote:
Next year you let me know when you will be online a week or so before the season starts and I'll be sure to create it then so it's the most convenient for you. :okman:
Meh no one want mine. I'm talking aboot the tarasenko disaster.
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

One thing that strikes me while watching Allen- when the puck is off to the side of net, he always has his stick down flat on the ice, and he always hugs the post like it's a security blanket. I'm not sure if Halak and Elliott aren't doing these things, or if I just don't notice them. But it seems like these basic positioning points are really paying dividends for him.

I am worried that his AHL stats aren't better, though. We all agree he's done great while he's played with the Blues, but then why is it he does an average job against the less-talented AHL forwards? This tells me his andrenaline at playing in the NHL (or desire to prove himself at the NHL level, or whatever is driving his performance) is enabling him to play above his normal level. I fear that the more he plays with the big club, the more that will wear off. If he really is this good against the NHL teams, he should be even better against the AHL teams, and he really hasn't been.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

gaijin wrote:One thing that strikes me while watching Allen- when the puck is off to the side of net, he always has his stick down flat on the ice, and he always hugs the post like it's a security blanket. I'm not sure if Halak and Elliott aren't doing these things, or if I just don't notice them. But it seems like these basic positioning points are really paying dividends for him.

I am worried that his AHL stats aren't better, though. We all agree he's done great while he's played with the Blues, but then why is it he does an average job against the less-talented AHL forwards? This tells me his andrenaline at playing in the NHL (or desire to prove himself at the NHL level, or whatever is driving his performance) is enabling him to play above his normal level. I fear that the more he plays with the big club, the more that will wear off. If he really is this good against the NHL teams, he should be even better against the AHL teams, and he really hasn't been.
He really hasn't been that good stats-wise here either. Wins are the best, but he's operating at below .900. Those 3 goals with the Yotes would have normally sank us but Hitch fixed a line and suddenly offense paid a visit and brought six goals with them.

This team believes in Jake and Jake has absolutely no give up in him. Look at his eyes. He plays without fear.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

Oaklandblue wrote:
gaijin wrote:One thing that strikes me while watching Allen- when the puck is off to the side of net, he always has his stick down flat on the ice, and he always hugs the post like it's a security blanket. I'm not sure if Halak and Elliott aren't doing these things, or if I just don't notice them. But it seems like these basic positioning points are really paying dividends for him.

He really hasn't been that good stats-wise here either. Wins are the best, but he's operating at below .900. Those 3 goals with the Yotes would have normally sank us but Hitch fixed a line and suddenly offense paid a visit and brought six goals with them.

This team believes in Jake and Jake has absolutely no give up in him. Look at his eyes. He plays without fear.
I didn't get to watch the game last night (stupid freaking basketball in Indiana...), only got to see the highlights on NHL.com, but it looked like he made a lot of huge saves when he needed to at times. If he can do this I'll be happy.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

This tweet from JR and quote from Hitch says it all...
Allen to play vs. SJ, Halak vs. ANA. Why Allen next? Hitchism: "Last year we rewarded shutouts. Now we're rewarding wins. Bar has changed."

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

abc789987 wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:

I didn't get to watch the game last night (stupid freaking basketball in Indiana...), only got to see the highlights on NHL.com, but it looked like he made a lot of huge saves when he needed to at times. If he can do this I'll be happy.
He's made great saves including what I consider the 'Save of the Year' with that paddle-catch. I meant purely stats-wise since he's not facing a lot of shots thanks to the D, which is going to lower the GAA.
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

DaDitka wrote:This tweet from JR and quote from Hitch says it all...
Allen to play vs. SJ, Halak vs. ANA. Why Allen next? Hitchism: "Last year we rewarded shutouts. Now we're rewarding wins. Bar has changed."
If a shutout is a win without goals scored against us and a win is just a win, doesn't that mean the bar's been lowered? o.O

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Oaklandblue wrote:
If a shutout is a win without goals scored against us and a win is just a win, doesn't that mean the bar's been lowered? o.O
Nothing gets by you. 8)
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

cardsfan04 wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:
Nothing gets by you. 8)
*looks for that Picard Facepalm pic to put up as a response*

KCFederko
Prospect
Prospect

Post by KCFederko »

The only thing puzzling about this move is that anyone would be puzzled by it at all.

The Blues rank second in the league in SOG differential and last, by a large margin in Save %.

Halak and Elliott have zero trade value as it is, so one of them being a healthy scratch or demoted does nothing to change their trade value.

The only decent stretch the team has had has been when Allen was in goal.

This is a team poised to make a deep run in the playoffs and you can't let it be sabotaged by inferior goal play, which is about all that Halak and Elliott have provided so far this year.

I say the job is Allen's until he plays himself out of it like Halak and Elliott already have.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I'm thinking his AHL numbers are the result of a poor team in front of him. It doesn't look like anyone really puts up decent numbers on Peoria. I feel so much more comfortable with Allen in net anyway because even though his numbers aren't that great, the fact is he's still developing. Halak and Elliott, what we see is what we get at this point.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

Still seems bizarre to me that we're talking about Halak and Elliott like they're scrap meat. A couple of months ago there were almost gods. I guess in this business the only thing that matters is the here and now, but it's still weird.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

AlsWoodenStick
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by AlsWoodenStick »

sseagle wrote:
cprice12 wrote:
sseagle wrote:
Meh no one want mine. I'm talking aboot the tarasenko disaster.
Newb? Bitch, please :grin:
ViPeRx007 wrote:Still seems bizarre to me that we're talking about Halak and Elliott like they're scrap meat. A couple of months ago there were almost gods. I guess in this business the only thing that matters is the here and now, but it's still weird.

I totally agree, the fluctuation hasn't just been on this board though, it's everywhere, I hear it on the radio & at the games. IMO they're gonna be ok, both of them, but the rest of the team needs to give the effort the whole game... soooo :deadhorse:

They certainly seem to be playing a lot better in front of him however, there's just more energy. How long do you think they'll carry 3 goalies? Something's gotta give. BTW, Allen in goal again on Saturday.
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

KCFederko
Prospect
Prospect

Post by KCFederko »

but the rest of the team needs to give the effort the whole game... soooo
The team HAS been playing decent in front of the goalies a large majority of the time.

They are now third in shot differential behind only LA and Boston. They totally outplayed LA for two periods the other night, but 3 soft goals let in by Halak totally robbed the team of momentum at the end of the second and early in the third.

The Blues are allowing the least amount of shots on goal per game, and by at least a shot less a game than every other team in the league. In fact it is at least 4 shots less per game than all but six other teams. What more would you like the team to do in front of the goalies??

Sure Halak and Elliott were awesome last year, but sadly in the world of professional sports last year doesn't count for much. The team is DEAD LAST in save percentage, and by a wide margin.

The team save percentage is .871. That is horrendous. It is actually .02 worse than the Islanders who have the worst GAA in the league.

They certainly seem to be playing a lot better in front of him however, there's just more energy. How long do you think they'll carry 3 goalies? Something's gotta give. BTW, Allen in goal again on Saturday.
The team looks better in front of Allen cause he hasn't been giving up two to three soft goals a game which has been totally robbing the team of energy almost every time Elliott plays.

There is no more energy in front of Allen than there has been in front of Halak or Elliott. The team had plenty of energy Tuesday in LA. Three fighting majors in the first and Backes was playing very physical. The two goals early in the third completely demoralized the team and they ended up getting outshot 15-4 for the period.

That said, that was really the first very poor effort from Halak this year.

Elliott has been absolutely brutal. He is unplayable right now. The Blues are 9-3-1 when either Halak or Allen plays. 3-6-1 with Elliott in net.

You can probably carry three goalies and healthy scratch one for a couple weeks and if Allen is still playing well I think Elliott gets put on waivers, clears and gets sent to the minors to see if he can get his mojo back. I can't see a team placing a claim on a goalie with a $1.8M salary and a save percentage of .850 and if he does get claimed so be it as Allen would hopefully have proven he would at least be a capable backup for Halak.

Allen was a 2nd round draft pick. It isn't like he is some undrafted player out of nowhere.

AlsWoodenStick
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by AlsWoodenStick »

KCFederko wrote:
There is no more energy in front of Allen than there has been in front of Halak or Elliott. The team had plenty of energy Tuesday in LA. Three fighting majors in the first and Backes was playing very physical. The two goals early in the third completely demoralized the team and they ended up getting outshot 15-4 for the period.
When I see a team get "demoralized" that quickly, it means a lack of effort to me. I've heard many coaches stress the point to continue to play 60 and this team has put together more complete games in front of Allen than Ells or Halak in many cases. I work late nights often so I haven't seen every game but that's my perspective based on my own observations.
Also, I didn't realize our save % was that bad, holy frankinballs.
KCFederko wrote: You can probably carry three goalies and healthy scratch one for a couple weeks and if Allen is still playing well I think Elliott gets put on waivers, clears and gets sent to the minors to see if he can get his mojo back. I can't see a team placing a claim on a goalie with a $1.8M salary and a save percentage of .850 and if he does get claimed so be it as Allen would hopefully have proven he would at least be a capable backup for Halak.
I'd be just fine with that situation, I think someone would make a claim on Ells, but the more I see of Allen the more I like him.
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.