GDT Game 3: 5/4/13 > Blues @ Kings > 9:00 PM > FSMW/NBCS

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

APOD
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Re: GDT Game 3: 5/4/13 > Blues @ Kings > 9:00 PM > FSMW/NBCS

Post by APOD »

Jeremy Rutherford

"Hitch walked past Tarasenko outside stlblues locker room and said "Get ready to play."

Either Schwartz is hurt or someone is sitting.
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor or Brian Elliott
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Jori Lehtera
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Chris Stewart / Steve Ott and the trade that made it happen!
2012-errr.......Just 2013 LGB Sponsor of Andy McDonald

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Elliott has given up only 1 goal in all 3 of these games. As others have alluded to, the Blues played well and there's nothing to hang heads about. They dictated play and they had at least 3 WIDE OPEN chances that they failed to bury. My hope for the trip to LA (much like ss has mentioned) is to come away with 1 of these games. I was just hoping it was going to be tonight so I didn't have to be on complete pins and needles come Monday. But it's not playoff hockey without a little torture.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

A win would have been better, but we were the better team on the ice for the most part IMO. I might give a slight edge to the Kings in the first period, but only slight. And, I thought we were better in the 2nd and 3rd. Disappointing loss, but we'll see how we bounce back.

What baffles me is that we were shutout and I don't think Quick was that spectacular. I mean, he made the saves he needed to make, but he also coughed up some pretty big rebounds. We had so many chances, but couldn't convert. I may never know how AMac or Steen missed the goal. I can live with less offense if it means getting more than 1-2 goals against us is really unlikely. But, at least score the ones with the empty nets.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

18tonytwist
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by 18tonytwist »

I know we were the better team, but they won the freaking game because we can't score goals. I couldn't care less if we get 6000 chances, if they don't result in goals, It is useless. Additionally, I hate the constant yelps about the officiating. Sure, they suck; they always suck, but if you win 4-1 because you bury your chances, the refs will never be an issue. If the Blues don't walk out with a win tomorrow night, the Kings may have all the momentum they need to come back and finish us off.

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

I kind of figured we would lose the 1st game in LA, if we can pull of a win Monday, it would be huge obviously.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

Team played great. No reason to hang their heads after that one.

Someone needs to finish for this team tho. We have created a bazillion golden chances and can't hit the broad side of a barn with our shots at the most inopportune times.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

Team played just fine, just couldn't capitalize on the opportunities they created for themselves.
They're working hard, and shutting down the Kings, who finished in the top tier of the league in goal scoring.
I'd rather be the Blues than the Kings right now. Kings as a whole didn't play all that great, and were lucky to escape with a win.
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

Cavallinis
Prospect
Prospect

Post by Cavallinis »

Can't fault the guys for lack of effort last night. Can't even fault Els for the goal -- he had just popped up after being pressed face first into the ice, and the puck had eyes.

Quick was not all that great, and he left plenty of pucks up for grabs. It was just one of those freaky nights when most of the rebounds that came out in front of an empty net had no Blues player within reach of them. Frustrating to watch.

I think it's time for a dose of Tarasenko. Has it been confirmed that he is playing tomorrow, or is it just from blog postings at this point?

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Solid game. One thing to remember is the Kings are as good as the Blues at denying 2nd chance opportunities. The good thing - the Blues kept generating those chances forcing Quick to give up bad rebounds. If they keep that up, they will win this series. I know none of the experts expected the Kings to only have scored 3 goals in 3 games.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

Kreegz2
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Kreegz2 »

Almost a day after the game, and I still don't understand how that puck went in the net untouched. There were literally 6 players plus elliot clogging up the crease area and it still somehow found it's way in.

Can't really fault our defensive game last night. Kings just got the lucky bounce. We have to bury at least some of the many open chances though. I think the one that irked me the most was when McDonald had that rebound kicked out by Quick slow, flat, and right on his tape and he just completely flubbed it. I almost put my fist through the tv after that. Also I think Leopold has to either pass or shoot that puck low to the far side for a rebound on that opportunity he had.
2015-2016 LGB sponsor of Robert Bortuzzo
2014-2015 LGB sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2013-2014 LGB sponsor of Brendan Morrow
2013 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2011-2012 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2008-2009 LGB sponsor of David Backes

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

MacDonald's flub - there is a King's stick on top of his when he tries to put it into the empty net. This is what I mean about the Kings defenders taking away 2nd chance opportunities.

One thing that stands out thinking about it - outside of the Kings only goal, scored on a ridiculous scramble - how many times did the Kings get chances immediately after a save? I can't think of hardly any. Almost every time Elliott made a save, the Kings had to work to even get a 2nd chance or it resulted in a faceoff. Meanwhile, the Blues were generating 2nd chances off of rebounds. Had it not been for the Kings strong defensive play, the Blues bury that game. If the Blues get by the Kings, who I think are probably the best of the Western teams defensively other than the Blues, St Louis has a serious shot at the Cup. Which is why this series is so darn important.

Chicago - great offense, a question in goal with Crawford, and their defense is suspect when forechecked consitently - which the Blues can do.
Anaheim - IMO, this would be the 2nd toughest test after the Kings. Would be a fun series to watch, but the way the Blues are currently playing is not something Anaheim has seen this season. Is the Blues defensive style of play along with the aggressive hitting enough to stop the Ducks offense. Would be very fun to watch, regardless of the result. - But sadly, Detroit would be easier to defeat, so I have to say Go Wings, sadly.
Vancouver- puh-lease. We see what San Jose is doing to them.
San Jose - puh-lease. The Blues solved them last season by doing what they did to the Kings in game 1 this season.
Detroit - Just let Perron run Howard a few times, he will get off his game, and the Blues forecheck will do the rest.
Minnesota - they are in goaltending hell right now and are going down to Chicago. Not near enough depth to deal with a team which can roll 4 effective lines.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

theohall wrote: Minnesota - they are in goaltending hell right now and are going down to Chicago. Not near enough depth to deal with a team which can roll 4 effective lines.
Define effective. :wink: