GDT Game 5: 5/8/13 > Blues vs. Kings > 8:00 PM > FSMW/NHLN

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

GDT Game 5: 5/8/13 > Blues vs. Kings > 8:00 PM > FSMW/NHLN

Post by dmiles2186 »

LIVE ON CBC, NHLN-US, CNBC, RDSI, FS-MW Radio: KMOX
KINGS at BLUES

(Best-of-7 series tied, 2-2)

TV: CNBC, CBC, RDSI, FS-W, FS-MW

Big story: The Los Angeles Kings showed they aren't ready to give up their grasp on the Stanley Cup just yet, as the defending champions scored more goals in Game 4 against the St. Louis Blues than they had in the entire series to that point, evening things up as the series shifts back to Scottrade Center. Now, can the Blues regain the momentum or will the Kings become the first road team to win a game?

Team Scope:

Kings: It would have been easy for Los Angeles to fold up the tents after St. Louis struck for two early goals Monday night -- after all, the Kings had only managed one goal against Blues goalie Brian Elliott in each of the first three games of the series. Instead, they quickly erased the deficit as Jeff Carter and Dustin Penner scored for the first time in the playoffs.

However, the Kings still had another hurdle to climb, as they trailed again 3-2 entering the third period. Twenty minutes from facing a 3-1 series deficit, they had another two-goal burst in them, Anze Kopitar breaking his long drought and then Justin Williams putting them in front for the first time 1:16 later.

"That's playoffs," Williams said. "That's battling all the way to the final buzzer. We needed a big third period, and we responded. We're an experience team. We've been through a lot, and we knew we were facing a daunting task going back to St. Louis down 3-1, and we found it in ourselves. This is a group that's been in pressure situations before, and we know what we have to do to overcome it."

Blues: By winning the first two games, St. Louis assured it would not lose home-ice advantage regardless of what happened in Los Angeles. But while sweeping the series might have been an unrealistic expectation, the Blues have to be disappointed that instead of gaining a split and having the opportunity to close out the Kings in Game 5, they're all even again and now facing a best-of-3 for the right to advance to the second round.

T.J. Oshie's first two goals of the playoffs gave the Blues leads of 2-0 and 3-2 that both disappeared as they couldn't answer a furious Kings' push. Elliott allowed four even-strength goals for the first time since Feb. 9.

"That was tough," defenseman Kevin Shattenkirk said. "We knew they were going to come. We have to be much better there. We have to be able to respond to it. If we want to grow as a playoff team and be successful in the future here, those are the situations that we have to start bearing down, especially as a team that's been through it before, we have to know that that's coming.

"The series is back to a tie. We go back home and start over. It's just a matter of resetting and getting back to the way we were playing."

Who's hot: Williams had a monster Game 4 for the Kings, scoring the decisive goal on six shots while adding four hits and a blocked shot. … Vladimir Sobotka assisted on a pair of goals for the Blues, was plus-2 and recorded a game-high 10 hits while winning 65 percent of his faceoffs.

Injury report: Media reports indicate Los Angeles defenseman Matt Greene's latest injury is of the lower-body variety and he is unlikely to return in this series.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Re: GDT Game 5: 5/8/13 > Blues vs. Kings > 8:00 PM > FSMW/NH

Post by abc789987 »

Lets Franking do this shit! Need to come out strong like we did last game but then don't let up! Come on boys!

Very curious to see if the CPR line is back together...

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

Huge (Franking) game. And there is no such thing as the 'CPR' line. It's (Franking) Los Quatros.

Go blues!! Get this one swinging back the correct way.
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

sseagle wrote:Huge (Frank) game. And there is no such thing as the 'CPR' line. It's (Frank) Los Quatros.

Sorry, will not refer to it as that again. I don't get the chance to frequent flashchat anymores so I have been uninformed. I didn't like that nickname anyways.

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

abc789987 wrote:
sseagle wrote:Huge (Frank) game. And there is no such thing as the 'CPR' line. It's (Frank) Los Quatros.

Sorry, will not refer to it as that again. I don't get the chance to frequent flashchat anymores so I have been uninformed. I didn't like that nickname anyways.
Blame dmiles. It's usually the way to go :D

Nah you can call it what you want but after game one they start up with this CPR bullshit and I'm like dude Fargo was calling them Los Quatros before the game ended.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

sseagle wrote:
abc789987 wrote:

Nah you can call it what you want but after game one they start up with this CPR bullshit and I'm like dude Fargo was calling them Los Quatros before the game ended.
You probably blame me for the powerplay dance too.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

We don't lose this series until we lose on home ice.

NOT TONIGHT I SAY!!!!

Blues 3
Kings 1
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

Just (Franking) win.
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

I will admit, I'm rather nervous about this one. The 'gloom and doom' side of my Blues fandom feels that if the Blues lose tonight, they're not winning the series. I'm trying to think positive. If this is the Blues team we saw in games 1-3, I'll feel good about our chances, win or lose. If we play like we did in Game 4 (which was reminiscent of the middle portion of the season), I'm not going to feel so great going back to LA. Just like Oshie tweeted yesterday, they're back home and have all the comforts that come with that, no excuses.

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Lets get some (Franking) fights for god sakes; it's like watching a bunch of pussies out there, pushing and shoving lol.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

dmiles2186 wrote:
sseagle wrote:
abc789987 wrote:

You probably blame me for the powerplay dance too.
And the mascot.

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

If the Blues are wearing down from being hit so much.... maybe they should return the favor!
Usually Boat is a wrecking ball, not really in this series, 25 shouldn't even be playing. Dude is huge and hits no one.
Come out smashing! Backes and Osh need to play with speed and hit everything.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Tickets are 40 bucks in the lower bowl on Stubhub for tonight's game. I'm so tempted to go.

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

It's VE Day boys. Victory in Europe. Victory over evil.

Blues win !! (Frank) LA!

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

dmiles2186 wrote:I will admit, I'm rather nervous about this one. The 'gloom and doom' side of my Blues fandom feels that if the Blues lose tonight, they're not winning the series.
Don't fool yourself.....it's do or die tonight.

We're talking about the defending Stanley Cup champs...they aren't going to make the same mistake we made a get comfortable. If you loose this one, the next time Backes and company are in the Lou it will be to clean out their lockers.

No pressure though.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

DaDitka wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:I will admit, I'm rather nervous about this one. The 'gloom and doom' side of my Blues fandom feels that if the Blues lose tonight, they're not winning the series.
Don't fool yourself.....it's do or die tonight.

We're talking about the defending Stanley Cup champs...they aren't going to make the same mistake we made a get comfortable. If you loose this one, the next time Backes and company are in the Lou it will be to clean out their lockers.

No pressure though.
Exactly...unless they win in LA.

That's why they play the games.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

The Blues finally scored more than one or two goals in a game and look what happened they gave up the lead...twice. The score should have been more than 3 with all those missed opportunities. I really wish someone will just blast Brown...Reaves, Polak, I'm looking at you boys to freaking paralyze him.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

philco_3 wrote:The Blues finally scored more than one or two goals in a game and look what happened they gave up the lead...twice. The score should have been more than 3 with all those missed opportunities. I really wish someone will just blast Brown...Reaves, Polak, I'm looking at you boys to freaking paralyze him.
Paralyzing might be a bit extreme, but he needs to get roughed up that's for sure.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

I really think the last two games have shown the brilliance of LAs decision to suit up another D.

This is the series for the Blues. They will not come back if they go down a game in this series.

They let LA remember how to find their extra gear, and our boys better figure out where theirs is ASAP.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:I really think the last two games have shown the brilliance of LAs decision to suit up another D.
So what you're saying is "Sutter likes the D"? :)
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.