Hockey Just Got a Bit Shittier.. Mandatory Visors

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Hockey Just Got a Bit Shittier.. Mandatory Visors

Post by sseagle »

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6729 ... L|NHL|home

Board of Governors need to say (Frank) OFF.. for christs sake
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Hockey Just Got a Bit Shittier.. Mandatory Visors

Post by glen a richter »

Somehow this will make the sport more dangerous, just like helmets did.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

I really don't think it's that big a deal. A lot of guys are wearing them as is and this has been inevitable for awhile.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

I have no problem with it.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Once everyone is using them, the especially dickheaded pricks will be taking even more liberties with their stick than they are now. The more armor these guys wear, the more dangerous it'll get out there until someone finally gets decapitated. Make helmets optional and you'll see a safer, more wide open and higher scoring (more entertaining) game.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Electric Blue
Prospect
Prospect

Post by Electric Blue »

Who will be the Craig MacTavish of visors?

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

Well all you supporters of NON-CHOICE, how about they grow a pair and make EVERYONE wear FULL CAGES?

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

sseagle wrote:Well all you supporters of NON-CHOICE, how about they grow a pair and make EVERYONE wear FULL CAGES?
That's what I play with, I'm fine with it.
EDIT: As long as they can fight still.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

glen a richter wrote:Once everyone is using them, the especially dickheaded pricks will be taking even more liberties with their stick than they are now. The more armor these guys wear, the more dangerous it'll get out there until someone finally gets decapitated. Make helmets optional and you'll see a safer, more wide open and higher scoring (more entertaining) game.
So players will innately stop when chasing for a puck or performing checks just because you're not wearing a helmet? Isn't there an argument that when a player has to second guess a hit before the hit that it causes more damage?
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

I'm actually really surprised that a "clear majority" of NHL players voted for mandatory visors. I guess you can't really argue with the players out there in the trenches if a solid majority are saying go for the mandatory visors. Granted 70%+ of them already wear visors as it is but it's not a given those already wearing one would be in favor of mandatory wear for all new players. Quite interesting.

There's not a doubt in my mind this thing will pass the Board of Governors no problem. Makes fights a little harder, but if you ignore that it really doesn't take away from the game. IMHO.

I wonder who the last player in the NHL will be without a visor now.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

WaukeeBlues wrote:I'm actually really surprised that a "clear majority" of NHL players voted for mandatory visors. I guess you can't really argue with the players out there in the trenches if a solid majority are saying go for the mandatory visors. Granted 70%+ of them already wear visors as it is but it's not a given those already wearing one would be in favor of mandatory wear for all new players. Quite interesting.

There's not a doubt in my mind this thing will pass the Board of Governors no problem. Makes fights a little harder, but if you ignore that it really doesn't take away from the game. IMHO.

Generation of (Franking) sheep... Everyone gets a trophy!
Next on the docket, mandatory non-sharp skates, wouldn't want to cut a shitty defenseman that scores a lot right?

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

sseagle wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:I'm actually really surprised that a "clear majority" of NHL players voted for mandatory visors. I guess you can't really argue with the players out there in the trenches if a solid majority are saying go for the mandatory visors. Granted 70%+ of them already wear visors as it is but it's not a given those already wearing one would be in favor of mandatory wear for all new players. Quite interesting.

Generation of (Frank) sheep... Everyone gets a trophy!
Next on the docket, mandatory non-sharp skates, wouldn't want to cut a shitty defenseman that scores a lot right?
I understand the frustration and spirit of what you're saying but I really don't see much of an extension of mandatory visors to players playing "less tough." The vast majority of juniors players wear visors anyway, and it doesn't unduly restrict vision/sight (as a full cage undoubtedly does). In my mind, it's not all that different from when the NHL mandated helmets. The NHL is saying (then as now) "We don't doubt you're tough, but this will help make the game safer without unduly restricting your ability to play the game."

A full cage mask or restricting skate sharpness (in your example) WOULD restrict a players' ability to play to their full ability. Yea you can always make the argument that a visor restricts vision in the same manner a full cage does, but not to the same degree. Again: my opinion.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Listening to Denis Potvin on NHL Radio yesterday, this is probably a good thing. He wore a visor is last 30-something games and hated it. Yet, he did it for a serious reason. In his last years, sticks were coming up. He was the Al MacInnis eye injury. He was worried about his eyes for the rest of his life. He said wearing the visor sucked for him over the last games, but his future was more important to him. IMO - that last part is what matters.

If guys come up wearing visors all the time, it won't matter to them. It's not like college has the mandatory face mask rule already.

Don't really "like" the rule, but completely understand the safety aspect. One thing it should mean - elimination of the "visor" instigating a fight, game misconduct rule.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

SteveO
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by SteveO »

They just need to enforce the extra penalty for fighting and not removing it then.

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

So (Franking) stupid, goddamn NHL. They removed the fighting with a visor penalty and added a removing the helmet to fight penalty. This sport is run by incompetent nba douche canoes.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

TEH PUSSIFICATION DEEPENS. :facepalm:
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

Kreegz2
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Kreegz2 »

sseagle wrote:So (Frank) stupid, goddamn NHL. They removed the fighting with a visor penalty and added a removing the helmet to fight penalty. This sport is run by incompetent nba douche canoes.
Wait what?

I'm not sure I correctly understand what you're saying... Removing the helmet to fight is now a penalty? How in the name of anything does that make any sense.
2015-2016 LGB sponsor of Robert Bortuzzo
2014-2015 LGB sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2013-2014 LGB sponsor of Brendan Morrow
2013 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2011-2012 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2008-2009 LGB sponsor of David Backes

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

Kreegz2 wrote:
sseagle wrote:So (Frank) stupid, goddamn NHL. They removed the fighting with a visor penalty and added a removing the helmet to fight penalty. This sport is run by incompetent nba douche canoes.
Wait what?

I'm not sure I correctly understand what you're saying... Removing the helmet to fight is now a penalty? How in the name of anything does that make any sense.
Yes removing the helmet to fight is now two minutes.

The fighting with a visor penalty no longer exists.

Because the NHL is retarded.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

sseagle wrote:
Kreegz2 wrote:
Wait what?

Head injuries are at the forefront of discussion in sports. So it's either that or they abolish fighting altogether, which is what mainstream media types who don't follow the game shout to the high hills anytime someone sustains a serious injury in a fight. I'm not surprised, nor do I blame them for doing this.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

Kreegz2
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Kreegz2 »

dmiles2186 wrote:
sseagle wrote:
Kreegz2 wrote:
Wait what?

Head injuries are at the forefront of discussion in sports. So it's either that or they abolish fighting altogether, which is what mainstream media types who don't follow the game shout to the high hills anytime someone sustains a serious injury in a fight. I'm not surprised, nor do I blame them for doing this.

The thing is that, with this rule in place, it will indirectly act as a major fighting deterrant, but the effect will be gradual ratther than immediate. Imagine 20 years from now when there are no visorless players left and everyone in the league has grown up wearing a visor and being subject to this rule. There will be hardly any fights at all.
2015-2016 LGB sponsor of Robert Bortuzzo
2014-2015 LGB sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2013-2014 LGB sponsor of Brendan Morrow
2013 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2011-2012 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2008-2009 LGB sponsor of David Backes