LGBR Poll #3: Episode 32 posted

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Who will be the Blues' newest and best rival at the end of the season?

Colorado Avalanche
40%
Dallas Stars
10%
Minnesota Wild
50%
Winnipeg Jets
No votes

Total votes: 10

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

LGBR Poll #3: Episode 32 posted

Post by JPonder94 »

On this episode, we will tell you about two Blues receiving new contracts. We’ll also discuss the Red Wings retiring the #5 and mention the few re-signings of the week. We’ll also tell you about the VP of ESPN who told us why they don’t cover hockey. We’ll get to your feedback and more on this episode of Lets Go Blues Radio.

http://www.letsgoblues.com/radio/19-pod ... -hate-espn

Discuss the poll question here.
2009-10 LGB Sponsor of Davis "Major" Payne
2010-11 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2011-12 LGB Sponsor of NHL All-Star Brian Elliott
2012-13 LGB Sponsor of Jaroslav Halak

Kreegz2
All-Star
All-Star

Re: LGBR Poll #3: Episode 32 posted

Post by Kreegz2 »

I voted Minnesota but honestly I'm excited to have all of these teams in the division with us now, especially the Jets.
2015-2016 LGB sponsor of Robert Bortuzzo
2014-2015 LGB sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2013-2014 LGB sponsor of Brendan Morrow
2013 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2011-2012 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2008-2009 LGB sponsor of David Backes

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Going with Colorado. I can't really explain why, I'm just going with Colorado.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Winning Unlimited »

glen a richter wrote:Going with Colorado. I can't really explain why, I'm just going with Colorado.
I went with Colorado too.
(1) They're loaded with top young talent and high picks. MacKinnon, Duschene, Landeskog, Stastny, O'Reilly, and Paranteau. (Does EJ count?) Our talent is going to peak around the same time.
(2) We were always jealous the Aves were perceived as the Wings' biggest rival.

Dallas and Minnesota should be their own rivals, obviously. So, I can't see the Blues replacing either team in that pairing.
The Jets just don't project as a playoff team.

Also, thanks for the shout-out on your show! :bluecool: :letsgoblues: And to confirm, we are good webernetz friends

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

I picked Minnesota, but honestly, it's a great question because it's such a toss up. Especially with the division playoff format coming back, we'll see some of these teams multiple times in the playoffs down the road.

The reason I went with Minnesota is that we've seemed to play them pretty tightly in recent years and most of the games tend to be low scoring and physical. Always seems that type of play breeds the more intense rivalries, plus they're set up for a run just like we are.

That said, I'm excited that the Jets are in our division. Great fans up there and those games will be easy to get hyped up for. Much better than watching games against the Jackets and Wings with a bunch of empty seats in the lower bowl. Though I guess the Stars will be taking that role in the division moving forward.
Last edited by dmiles2186 on Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

I'm going to get in on this 'Would You Rather' thing if you don't mind.

Would you rather:

A) Have the Blues always stay in St. Louis but never win the Stanley Cup in your lifetime

or

B) Have the Blues move away from St. Lou and get completely re-branded (I.E. New name, colors, everything different but the team history--like the Thrashers to Winnipeg).

Edit: Just finished last week's episode. Ponder, glad you liked my movie, 'Waiting.' :mrgreen:

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

dmiles2186 wrote:I'm going to get in on this 'Would You Rather' thing if you don't mind.

Would you rather:

A) Have the Blues always stay in St. Louis but never win the Stanley Cup in your lifetime

or

B) Have the Blues move away from St. Lou and get completely re-branded (I.E. New name, colors, everything different but the team history--like the Thrashers to Winnipeg).

Edit: Just finished last week's episode. Ponder, glad you liked my movie, 'Waiting.' :mrgreen:
Easy choice for me. I don't have a geographical attachment to the Blues and I want to see them win the Cup so badly I don't give a flying crap if they call Sydney freaking Australia home for that to happen. However, I would feel bad for all of you guys who'd be losing a hometown team.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

glen a richter wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:I'm going to get in on this 'Would You Rather' thing if you don't mind.

Would you rather:

or

Easy choice for me. I don't have a geographical attachment to the Blues and I want to see them win the Cup so badly I don't give a flying crap if they call Sydney freaking Australia home for that to happen. However, I would feel bad for all of you guys who'd be losing a hometown team.
I get that you don't have a geographical attachment and you don't care where they would end up, but the reason I included the part about the rebranding is because you wouldn't be cheering for the St. Louis Blues anymore. They could be the Seattle Pilots or the Tacoma Tulips or the Quebec Nordiques pt deux or the Saskatoon Something or Others. But they aren't the Blues, they have a completely new identity. No Blue note, no blue and yellow, only the team history and a footnote in the history of the NHL. The Thrashers are already a distant memory. And in that same scenario, there is no guarantee they win the cup. They may, they may not. That may not change your answer, but thought I'd throw that all of that in there.

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

Here's a would you rather...

Would you rather

...have the Blues lose in the second round of the playoffs to some random team...

-or-

...lose in triple overtime in game 7 of the Stanley cup finals... to the Detroit Red Wings...

Kreegz2
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Kreegz2 »

kodos wrote:Here's a would you rather...

Would you rather

...have the Blues lose in the second round of the playoffs to some random team...

-or-

...lose in triple overtime in game 7 of the Stanley cup finals... to the Detroit Red Wings...
Option A for sure. I have gotten used to that scenario as a Blues fan. It wouldn't particularly crush me as bad as Option B would. I would have that terrible memory stuck in my head for the rest of my life. At least with Option A I could just file it away as "another typical Blues season" when I look back on it.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Yes, option A for sure. Option B would be soul crushing.

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

Maybe it's too easy...

How about...

Next year, would you rather...

The Blues lose 4-1 in an unremarkable first round series at the hands of the the Minnesota Wild...

-or-

Lose in triple overtime of game 7 in the cup finals to the wings...

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

kodos wrote:Maybe it's too easy...

How about...

Next year, would you rather...

The Blues lose 4-1 in an unremarkable first round series at the hands of the the Minnesota Wild...

-or-

Lose in triple overtime of game 7 in the cup finals to the wings...
Again, option A. I'm more used to it. I would have a heart attack after the SCF ended.
2009-10 LGB Sponsor of Davis "Major" Payne
2010-11 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2011-12 LGB Sponsor of NHL All-Star Brian Elliott
2012-13 LGB Sponsor of Jaroslav Halak

Kreegz2
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Kreegz2 »

Now that I think about it, I don't think I can think of a worse situation than losing in overtime in game 7 of the SCF to the Red Wings. I think I would rather see just about anything else happen in sports than have to witness that.