GDT #25: 11/29/13 > Blues @ Sharks > 3:00 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

GDT #25: 11/29/13 > Blues @ Sharks > 3:00 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Post by ViPeRx007 »

NO GDT 2 HOURS TO PUCK DROP?!?! Oh the humanity!!! I don't know if I'm doing this right, dmiles! If you get in here before the game starts, you can make your own GDT and I will delete this one. You've got an active GDT starting streak on the line, I'm just trying to save the day if I have to. I don't know if it's the creator of the threads that are important or if it's just having the GDT. I may need sseagle's input on the ruling here....HELP!

TIME FOR SOME REVENGE!!! LET'S GO BLUES!
BLUES (18-3-3) at SHARKS (16-3-5)

TV: FS-SW, CSN-CA

Last 10: St. Louis 8-1-1; San Jose 6-2-2

Season series: This is the second of three meetings between the St. Louis Blues and San Jose Sharks. The Sharks cruised to a 6-2 victory against St. Louis on Oct. 15 at Scottrade Center. Joe Thornton had a goal and three assists for San Jose.

Big story: Each team carries a winning streak into the game Friday; the Blues have won five in a row and continue to find themselves in a heated Central Division race, while San Jose has won three straight and sits atop the Pacific Division alongside the Anaheim Ducks at 37 points apiece.

Team Scope:

Blues: St. Louis won its fifth straight game by scoring three first-period goals en route to a 4-1 victory against the Colorado Avalanche at Pepsi Center on Wednesday night. Alexander Steen scored his 20th goal and Jaroslav Halak made 25 saves for the Blues, who briefly moved ahead of the Chicago Blackhawks for first place in the Central before the latter rallied to beat the Calgary Flames to regain the division lead.

"We are sticking to the way we play," said Steen, who is tied with Washington Capitals forward Alex Ovechkin for the NHL lead in goals. "Pucks are bouncing our way and we are taking care in our own end and our goaltending has been phenomenal. We have been getting our chances, and our power play has been clicking, and it helps that we are playing sound offensively."

Sharks: It took a bit longer than they would have preferred, but captain Joe Thornton recorded the winner in the eighth round of the shootout to lift the Sharks to their third consecutive win, a 3-2 decision against the Los Angeles Kings at SAP Center. Antti Niemi made 38 saves for the Sharks, who pulled even with the Ducks in the Pacific. San Jose has three games in hand on Anaheim.

"It's always like this against them," center Joe Pavelski said of playing the Kings. "They're a good team, they're simple, they play hard, they've got some big bodies. We know it's going to be low-scoring the way they've been playing. It was good to get a lead and play. Guys battled and found a way to win one in the shootout finally."

Who's hot: Steen has three goals and an assist in the past three games, while David Backes is 3-1-4 in the past four. Jaden Schwartz has two goals and three assists during a five-game point streak. … Pavelski has three goals and three assists in the past eight games, Thornton has one goal and five assists in the past six games and Tyler Kennedy has points in four straight (one goal, three assists).

Injury report: St. Louis forward Ryan Reaves (hand) had surgery and will be re-evaluated in six weeks. Defenseman Jordan Leopold (hand) is on injured reserve. … The Sharks are without forwards Adam Burish (back) and Raffi Torres (knee), both of whom are on IR.
Last edited by ViPeRx007 on Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Re: GDT #25: 11/29/13 > Blues @ Sharks > 3:00 PM > FS-SW/KMO

Post by drwoland »

Looking forward to watching this on the teevee here in SF.

5-1 good guys, Steen pads the stats, flips the bird to Yahoo! in post game interview.

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

dmiles, I'm referring you to a court martial for this.

Viper, you done good... pending outcome of the game :o
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Re: GDT #25: 11/29/13 > Blues @ Sharks > 3:00 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Post by sseagle »

Count One : Dereliction of duty.

Count Two : Not holding the line.

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

drwoland wrote:Looking forward to watching this on the teevee here in SF.

5-1 good guys, Steen pads the stats, flips the bird to Yahoo! in post game interview.
SO FAR SO GOOD

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

Count Three : Not holding the line.

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

Count Four : Not Holding the line.
Count Five : Gross Misconduct

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

Count Six : Not Holding the line.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

:doh: :facepalm:

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

I am putting in for a Bronze Star for Viper

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

Valiant fight back.

dmiles... this is your fault, have a great decade in Kansas

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

Really terrible first ~15 minutes of the game. The rest was actually pretty good which makes me feel a little bit better about this one. Down 0-4 it's easy for teams to just roll over and mail it in. These guys turned it up, fought back into it, but it just wasn't quite enough.

Go get LA on Monday.

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

Stewart sucks

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

Was Elliot terrible or was the team that bad in front of him? Both?
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

sseagle wrote:Valiant fight back.

No concern for my well being? No, "Wow. Dmiles has started X number of GDT's in a row and he's not here. Was he kidnapped? Did Dooger kill him? Did Keith Tkachuk eat him? Was he trampled by a bunch of menopausal women trying to get a $3 blender on Black Friday?" What if I had been killed by a falling jet engine like in Donnie Darko? What if I had been kidnapped by Anna Kournikova and she was using me as her own personal love slave?

But no. You banish me without having any clue what was going on. Give me liberty or give me death!

But yeah, I mostly just wasn't around a computer all day and forgot to post a GDT for the 5 minutes I was. Sorry chaps. Blues looked like they sucked, yo.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

dmiles2186 wrote:
sseagle wrote:Valiant fight back.

No concern for my well being? No, "Wow. Dmiles has started X number of GDT's in a row and he's not here. Was he kidnapped? Did Dooger kill him? Did Keith Tkachuk eat him? Was he trampled by a bunch of menopausal women trying to get a $3 blender on Black Friday?" What if I had been killed by a falling jet engine like in Donnie Darko? What if I had been kidnapped by Anna Kournikova and she was using me as her own personal love slave?

But no. You banish me without having any clue what was going on. Give me liberty or give me death!

But yeah, I mostly just wasn't around a computer all day and forgot to post a GDT for the 5 minutes I was. Sorry chaps. Blues looked like they sucked, yo.

Known deviant, AWOL... have fun with your $3 kournikova tkachuk blender

xbleed83bluex
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by xbleed83bluex »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:Was Elliot terrible or was the team that bad in front of him? Both?
In the first period it was a little bit of both, mostly Elliot though. He let in 4 goals. The 2nd period proves how great the Blues are, because they played like they should have and were able to almost catch up 4-3. And Niemi was a beast - probably the best stopper in the league - the Blues had several chances and those 3 goals that went past Niemi weren't easy ones mind you. So, Blues still played great despite the loss. In an alternative universe where Halak started the game and Niemi wasn't so awesome, this could've been a 4-2 game Blues easily.
Official 2011-'12 sponsor of the hot chick from the FSMW Blues commercials.

xbleed83bluex
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by xbleed83bluex »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:Was Elliot terrible or was the team that bad in front of him? Both?
In the first period it was a little bit of both, mostly Elliot though. He let in 4 goals. The 2nd period proves how great the Blues are, because they played like they should have and were able to almost catch up 4-3. And Niemi was a beast - probably the best stopper in the league - the Blues had several chances and those 3 goals that went past Niemi weren't easy ones mind you. So, Blues still played great despite the loss. In an alternative universe where Halak started the game and Niemi wasn't so awesome, this could've been a 4-2 game Blues easily.
Official 2011-'12 sponsor of the hot chick from the FSMW Blues commercials.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

xbleed83bluex wrote:
The first goal was a bad clearing attempt by Jackman that ended up being a tic-tac one timer right between the hash marks. Probably could have been stopped but due to where the shot was taken I have a hard time faulting Ells entirely for this one.

The second one was a PP goal but was played rather poorly by Elliott. The D completely forgot about Thornton though and didn't help him out any.

Third goal was a 3-on-2 in our favor turned into a 2-on-1 for them when Magnus tripped and Steen unexplainably stopped skating with his man and let him come in unhindered. Elliott wasn't very square to the shooter though and probably should have stopped it. I'd mostly blame Steen for this one though.

4th was a bad giveaway by Bouwmeester but the shot wasn't anything special. Elliott should have had it.

I agree it was both, but I think the flat footed play by the Blues and the Sharks relentless attack was the main culprit of Elliott's off game. It would be different if the guys in front of him were playing well and he was just letting in softies, but that wasn't the case as I saw it. There always has to be a scapegoat though and it's usually the goalie. If Halak had started, it may have been a different game, but nobody really knows that for sure. You're talking about a guy who came in in a 0-4 hole without much expectation and also got better play in front of him than Elliott had. Halak still made some great saves, but they were in different situations that aren't really comparable.

All and all this just reiterates the fact that we seem to hear all the time: you have to play a full 60. One off period can cost you a game and that's exactly what happened here. Heck, this was just one half of a period that cost us this time.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

1. The lines we ran SUCKED (Bergy AND Stew on one line?! WTF) . All our line setups were highly ineffective against the Sharks.
2. Elliott SUCKED.
3. Halak was a damn BEAST. I've gone from outright hating the guy to downright loving him. With that said...
4. Our goalie tandem SUCKS. Look at the numbers and do the math, in the numbers game, they are both subpar. I'd be willing to bring up Jake Allen right now to shake things up.
5. Bergy and Stewart need to go away. Far, far away. The same people who have contributed since Day One (Steen, Boat, Polak, Backes, etc.) are the same people who are contributing now. Fact. We have players like Osh who I feel were battling RL demons (booze, maybe?) and the more he has cleaned up, the better his play has been. But that's a shot in the dark and not based on factual data.
6. We need to re-establish the CPR line. That line grinds at it's worst and forces the opposition to play more physically, which gives our top lines the chance at throwing firepower at the net and they can score.
7. Derek Roy IS THE SOLUTION at Center. Quit putting garbage around him and that 6G,11A might be alot more. Still, 6G,11A. How do you whine about that? How?!
8. Bergy plays more like a wing than a Center. At wing, I think he'd be the sniper we're looking for. If not, TRADE NOW. I don't care if he scores a thousand goals for another team, he's not helping us and I'd rather have players that help us than those who stand there and don't do jack. Same with you, Chris.
9. Ryan Reaves, I MISS YOU MAN. Hurry up and get better!!

Beyond that, Frank the Sharks. NEXT GAME!
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!