GDT #36: 12/23/13 > Blues @ Flames > 7:00 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

GDT #36: 12/23/13 > Blues @ Flames > 7:00 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Post by dmiles2186 »

For some reason, I thought this game was a 8 central, but apparently, per the Blues' website, it's at 7, even out in Alberta. Time to extinguish those Flames! Time to tame the Flames! Time to put out the Flames! Time to dump water on the Flames!

Pick your tagline for this game and go with it. They all suck. A lot of times I just type stupid stuff here to see if anyone reads it.
BLUES (24-7-4) at FLAMES (13-17-6)

TV: FS-MW, SNET-CGY

Last 10: St. Louis 6-2-2; Calgary 4-4-2

Season series: This is the second of three games between the St. Louis Blues and Calgary Flames. The Blues won 3-2 on Nov. 7. Jordan Leopold had two assists and Brian Elliot made 18 saves.

Big story: After one win on a five-game road trip (1-2-2), the Flames return home for five games, starting Monday against the Blues. They will also face the Edmonton Oilers, Vancouver Canucks, Philadelphia Flyers and Tampa Bay Lightning.

Team scope:

Blues: Chris Stewart had a hat trick and an assist in the Blues' 6-0 win against the Oilers on Saturday. Elliot made 23 saves for his second shutout to help St. Louis improve to 10-4-2 on the road.

Stewart has eight goals in six games after starting the season with none in the first 10.

"I kind of had a rough start of the year, and I told myself I wasn't going to pass up any more opportunities in the slot. I'm going to shoot to score and it's been working out as of late," Stewart said after the game.

Blues captain David Backes, who missed two games with a concussion, returned to the lineup and had 14:50 of ice time without recording a point. St. Louis was outshot 14-5 in the first period, but escaped with a 1-0 lead after 20 minutes.

"We were outplayed in the first and our goalie was our best player. We've had some of those starts before and we've recovered in some and in some, we haven't," Blues coach Ken Hitchcock said.

Flames: Calgary is 0-2-2 in its past four games, the latest a 4-3 loss to the Pittsburgh Penguins on Saturday. The Flames trailed 2-0 and 4-1 before making it a 4-3 game a minute into the third period, but that was as close as they would get.

"We got to find ways to actually get leads and extend leads and win games like that, and then if you lose that kind of game it doesn’t sting as much," Flames center Michael Cammalleri told reporters.

Flames coach Bob Hartley was pleased with his team’s effort. Calgary outshot Pittsburgh 30-23 and had 12 in the third period.

"They have some injuries but they still have Sidney Crosby up there. There first line is right there," Hartley said. "I thought we never quit, we kept going at the net. I don’t think it’s a tough loss to swallow."

Who's hot: Cammalleri has three points in two games for the Flames. … Jaden Schwartz has a goal in three of four games and Kevin Shattenkirk has a point in three straight games for the Blues.

Injury report: Defenseman Dennis Wideman (broken hand) is on injured reserve for the Flames. Curtis Glencross (lower body) was placed on IR. … Defenseman Jordon Leopold (finger), and forward Ryan Reaves (broken hand) are on IR for the Blues. Center Vladimir Sobotka (upper body) missed the game Saturday. Blues leading goal scorer Alexander Steen (undisclosed) was injured Saturday and did not return for the third period.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: GDT #36: 12/23/13 > Blues @ Flames > 7:00 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Post by glen a richter »

All I'll predict from tonight is that Jaskin proves he deserves to stay.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

The preview mentioned Steen leaving in the 3rd period last game, but nothing about whether or not he is back tonight. Any updates?

2 points, please. :letsgoblues:

And no, dmiles, nobody reads what you type.

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Lol Tame the Flames!
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

gaijin wrote:And no, dmiles, nobody reads what you type.
I know.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

An FYI for those who may have this question like I did...

[tweet][/tweet]

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

Calgary already forfeit the game. Guess ill go work on my thesis some more. "80 more ways to skin a cat"
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

sseagle wrote:Calgary already forfeit the game. Guess ill go work on my thesis some more. "80 more ways to skin a cat"
Dude could I be any more gullible? I actually checked to see if they really forfeited. :facepalm:
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

It's been a long time since the Blues have had a game in hand like that before coughing the lead up late. The tying goal w/ 4 seconds left (or whatever it was) was a punch in the gut. They were on their heals all of OT and in the shootout. But we still have only 7 regulation losses and it's almost the New Year. Also, credit is due to the Flames. I'll admit, I didn't take them seriously, but they stuck with the Blues the entire game. They played a tough 65 minutes and they earned that win, for sure.

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

UUUHHHHHH Paajarvi in the shootout? I guess because he scored?..

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

dmiles2186 wrote:It's been a long time since the Blues have had a game in hand like that before coughing the lead up late. The tying goal w/ 4 seconds left (or whatever it was) was a punch in the gut. They were on their heals all of OT and in the shootout. But we still have only 7 regulation losses and it's almost the New Year. Also, credit is due to the Flames. I'll admit, I didn't take them seriously, but they stuck with the Blues the entire game. They played a tough 65 minutes and they earned that win, for sure.
Just shut up with all this other team love, man.

:wink:
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko