GDT #58: 2/26/14 > Blues @ Canucks > 9:30 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey.

Moderator: LGB Mods

GDT #58: 2/26/14 > Blues @ Canucks > 9:30 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Postby dmiles2186 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:34 am

Boys, I've been waiting to do this for a long time. Blues hockey is finally back.

BLUES (39-12-6) at CANUCKS (27-24-9)

TV: FS-MW, SNET-P

Last 10: St. Louis 7-2-1; Vancouver 2-8-0

Season series: The Vancouver Canucks are going for a three-game sweep of the St. Louis Blues after winning 3-2 in overtime at Scottrade Center on Oct. 25 and 2-1 at home on Jan. 10.

Big story: The teams resume play after the Olympic break in vastly different circumstances. The Blues begin a three-game road trip on top of the Central Division, all but assured of a berth in the Stanley Cup Playoffs and challenging for the Presidents' Trophy. The Canucks start a three-game homestand on the outside looking in at the top eight in the Western Conference, but they should get a boost from the return of top-line center Henrik Sedin.

Team Scope:

Blues: With seven Blues playing in the maximum six games in Sochi, coach Ken Hitchcock may be forced to give some of his stars a break during a three-game road trip.

"It's going to be really interesting to see all of these guys coming back that played in some of the important games over there, how quickly they can mentally turn that off and get refocused for some real important hockey," said Blues associate coach Brad Shaw, who has been running practice while Hitchcock served as an assistant coach for Canada. "That'll be a real tough mental challenge for those guys and we'll have to maybe expect some play that is a little bit haywire at times. Hopefully we'll have enough guys pointed in the right direction."

Shaw said the Blues may have to give their Olympians some additional rest.

"I don't think it's written in stone, but there is an idea that some guys will probably need a break, some may not," he said. "A lot of the guys that went over, a [Alex Pietrangelo] or [Jay Bouwmeester], who average 25 minutes and end up playing a 17 or 18 minutes, might be able to come right back in. It's hard to say."

Canucks: The good news is that although Sedin missed practice this week for personal reasons, coach John Tortorella said he is expected to return to the lineup against the Blues. The bad news is that Tortorella had no update on whether center Ryan Kesler would be available. Kesler played the final three games for the United States in Sochi despite a right hand injury sustained when he blocked a shot in the game against Russia; he had an MRI on Tuesday.

Kesler's absence would be a major loss for a team that's already thin down the middle. He leads NHL forwards in ice time (22:12) and has a key role on both special teams for the Canucks.

"He's one guy you notice more than others because he contributes in so many areas of our team," forward Christopher Higgins told the Vancouver Province. "He plays hard minutes. He would be a tough guy to replace."

Who's hot: Blues forward T.J. Oshie became a household name after his shootout heroics in the United States' preliminary-round win against Russia in Sochi, but he's played well all season. His 46 points are tied with Alexander Steen for the team lead. … Higgins had points in each of Vancouver's last two games, and his 16 goals are second on the team.

Injury report: The Blues are expected to be without defenseman Jordan Leopold (ankle) and forward Vladimir Sobotka (knee). … The Canucks will be without defensemen Christopher Tanev (hand) and Andrew Alberts (concussion), and center Mike Santorelli (shoulder). Forward Alexandre Burrows (hand) and defenseman Yannick Weber (undisclosed) are day-to-day.
Image

Official 2013-2014 Sponsor Extraordinaire of Alex "Petro" Pietrangelo
User avatar
dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 5803
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach

Re: GDT #58: 2/26/14 > Blues @ Canucks > 9:30 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Postby not_a_wings_fan » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:54 am

Am I the only one hoping Stewart is a late scratch?

I would love to see that he doesn't play tonight because of a pending trade, lol.

We really need to get a good game here as we have traditionally not played well against VAN.

Two points, boys! Let's get 'er done!
Official 2008-2013 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman
Official 2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman
User avatar
not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
 
Posts: 3082
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:27 pm
Location: Anywhere but here

Re: GDT #58: 2/26/14 > Blues @ Canucks > 9:30 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Postby sseagle » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:11 am

Big. Ass. Tittays!!!

Lets go flashchat!! Oh wait it's still broken and no one is caring at all.
Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

Image
User avatar
sseagle
All-Star
All-Star
 
Posts: 2087
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:03 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: GDT #58: 2/26/14 > Blues @ Canucks > 9:30 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Postby gaijin » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:24 am

Holy crap, it's an NHL game! 2 points, please. :letsgoblues:
Image
User avatar
gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
 
Posts: 2744
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2003 7:46 pm
Location: An undisclosed location in SW Asia

Re: GDT #58: 2/26/14 > Blues @ Canucks > 9:30 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Postby dmiles2186 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:56 am

sseagle wrote:Big. Ass. Tittays!!!

Lets go flashchat!! Oh wait it's still broken and no one is caring at all.


As I posted a week ago in our 'fix this forum' forum. And no one responded to that either. Yipee. It's working!
Image

Official 2013-2014 Sponsor Extraordinaire of Alex "Petro" Pietrangelo
User avatar
dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 5803
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach

Re: GDT #58: 2/26/14 > Blues @ Canucks > 9:30 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Postby ComradeT » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:50 am

Halak injures his groin while receiving a lap dance from one of the Sedin sisters last night at a gentlemen's club. Elliot delivers a solid performance, and Jake Allen is called up. Together, they form an unbreakable tandem that carries the Blues all the way to you-know-what-but-I-am-afraid-to-jinx-it-by-actually-saying-it. Blues' US Olympians come out hungry for blood and break some Swedish skulls. Their other Olympians simply have a great game, and so do those who did not travel to Sochi. Blues chase both goalies and break their psyche so bad neither wants to go back in goal, so Burrows is forced to be in goal. He attempts to bite everyone who comes within a foot of the crease and breaks his teeth on Captain America's calf (hey, if stray dogs of Sochi couldn't do it, do you really think you can?) The game ends up in a bench clearing brawl, with Vancouver's fourth line beating up their other three lines for sucking huge hairy balls and being too girly. Blues are long gone by the time the fight is stopped. Torts eats his own necktie.

What? The score? Oh, I dunno... Say 3-1 Blues.
User avatar
ComradeT
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer
 
Posts: 410
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:08 am

Re: GDT #58: 2/26/14 > Blues @ Canucks > 9:30 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Postby sseagle » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:14 pm

I'm voting for comrade
Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

Image
User avatar
sseagle
All-Star
All-Star
 
Posts: 2087
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:03 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: GDT #58: 2/26/14 > Blues @ Canucks > 9:30 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Postby ViPeRx007 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:45 pm

What What?! BLUES HOCKEY TONIGHT!

This makes me happy. LETS WIN BLUES!
Image
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
User avatar
ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow
 
Posts: 9325
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:08 pm
Location: Billings, MT

Re: GDT #58: 2/26/14 > Blues @ Canucks > 9:30 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Postby drwoland » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:31 pm

ComradeT wrote:Halak injures his groin while receiving a lap dance from one of the Sedin sisters last night at a gentlemen's club. Elliot delivers a solid performance, and Jake Allen is called up. Together, they form an unbreakable tandem that carries the Blues all the way to you-know-what-but-I-am-afraid-to-jinx-it-by-actually-saying-it. Blues' US Olympians come out hungry for blood and break some Swedish skulls. Their other Olympians simply have a great game, and so do those who did not travel to Sochi. Blues chase both goalies and break their psyche so bad neither wants to go back in goal, so Burrows is forced to be in goal. He attempts to bite everyone who comes within a foot of the crease and breaks his teeth on Captain America's calf (hey, if stray dogs of Sochi couldn't do it, do you really think you can?) The game ends up in a bench clearing brawl, with Vancouver's fourth line beating up their other three lines for sucking huge hairy balls and being too girly. Blues are long gone by the time the fight is stopped. Torts eats his own necktie.

What? The score? Oh, I dunno... Say 3-1 Blues.


:lol:
Image
User avatar
drwoland
All-Star
All-Star
 
Posts: 1862
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:18 pm
Location: Having a stroke in FlashChat

Re: GDT #58: 2/26/14 > Blues @ Canucks > 9:30 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Postby glen a richter » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:51 pm

First game back and it's 10:30 PM on my tube... or radio, whichever. I'll get the score in the morning.
Official sponsor of Ian Cole 2011-2012
Official sponsor of Gary Bettman's Pink Slip 2013
Official sponsor of Dmitrij Jaskin 2013-2014
glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 7148
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:02 am
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: GDT #58: 2/26/14 > Blues @ Canucks > 9:30 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Postby sseagle » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:04 pm

glen a richter wrote:First game back and it's 10:30 PM on my tube... or radio, whichever. I'll get the score in the morning.



I got yer tube right here
Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

Image
User avatar
sseagle
All-Star
All-Star
 
Posts: 2087
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:03 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: GDT #58: 2/26/14 > Blues @ Canucks > 9:30 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Postby glen a richter » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:22 pm

sseagle wrote:
glen a richter wrote:First game back and it's 10:30 PM on my tube... or radio, whichever. I'll get the score in the morning.



I got yer tube right here


That tube, is it the KY that you don't need because your wife is disinterested?
Last edited by glen a richter on Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Official sponsor of Ian Cole 2011-2012
Official sponsor of Gary Bettman's Pink Slip 2013
Official sponsor of Dmitrij Jaskin 2013-2014
glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 7148
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:02 am
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: GDT #58: 2/26/14 > Blues @ Canucks > 9:30 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Postby ComradeT » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:41 pm

glen a richter wrote:
sseagle wrote:
glen a richter wrote:First game back and it's 10:30 PM on my tube... or radio, whichever. I'll get the score in the morning.



I got yer tube right here


That tube, is it the KY that you don't need because you're wife is disinterested?


OH

Image
User avatar
ComradeT
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer
 
Posts: 410
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:08 am

Re: GDT #58: 2/26/14 > Blues @ Canucks > 9:30 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Postby sseagle » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:23 pm

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

Image
User avatar
sseagle
All-Star
All-Star
 
Posts: 2087
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:03 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: GDT #58: 2/26/14 > Blues @ Canucks > 9:30 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Postby ViPeRx007 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:09 am

Ryan Miller doesn't score goals. Just sayin...
Image
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
User avatar
ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow
 
Posts: 9325
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:08 pm
Location: Billings, MT

Re: GDT #58: 2/26/14 > Blues @ Canucks > 9:30 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Postby not_a_wings_fan » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:15 am

That actually went better than I expected from a score standpoint. We struggle with those pacific teams something fierce. It does not bode well for a deep run in the playoffs.

Meh, moving on.
Official 2008-2013 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman
Official 2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman
User avatar
not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
 
Posts: 3082
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:27 pm
Location: Anywhere but here

Re: GDT #58: 2/26/14 > Blues @ Canucks > 9:30 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Postby dmiles2186 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:48 am

I figured I'd come in here to knee jerking galore. First game back, it's a bummer we lost to a team that hadn't won in 7 games, but time to move on. Big game against Anaheim tomorrow night.

As for the goal scoring thing, the Blues are, I believe, in the top 5 in goals for. They've got scoring, I don't know why people say they don't. We have 6-7 guys that have a double digit goal total if I'm not mistaken.

(Edit: Just checked, we have 7 with at least 10 goals, Roy is knocking on the door at 9).

To continue on that point, the Blues have 196 goals for, the league average is 162. Keep in mind that the Blues have played a couple games less than most teams. Plus, this was the first time the Blues were shutout this season, if I'm not mistaken. The Blues don't need a top level scorer because they have guys all over that can score. Not saying I wouldn't take someone that can score, those are always needed. But to act like the Blues can't score goals isn't accurate in my mind.

(Viper, this wasn't directly towards you, I've seen others mention it here and there this season)
Image

Official 2013-2014 Sponsor Extraordinaire of Alex "Petro" Pietrangelo
User avatar
dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 5803
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach

Re: GDT #58: 2/26/14 > Blues @ Canucks > 9:30 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Postby ComradeT » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:58 am

dmiles2186 wrote:I figured I'd come in here to knee jerking galore. First game back, it's a bummer we lost to a team that hadn't won in 7 games, but time to move on. Big game against Anaheim tomorrow night.

As for the goal scoring thing, the Blues are, I believe, in the top 5 in goals for. They've got scoring, I don't know why people say they don't. We have 6-7 guys that have a double digit goal total if I'm not mistaken.

(Edit: Just checked, we have 7 with at least 10 goals, Roy is knocking on the door at 9).

To continue on that point, the Blues have 196 goals for, the league average is 162. Keep in mind that the Blues have played a couple games less than most teams. Plus, this was the first time the Blues were shutout this season, if I'm not mistaken. The Blues don't need a top level scorer because they have guys all over that can score. Not saying I wouldn't take someone that can score, those are always needed. But to act like the Blues can't score goals isn't accurate in my mind.

(Viper, this wasn't directly towards you, I've seen others mention it here and there this season)


Blues are #2 in goals per game, behind Blackhawks and ahead of Ducks and Penguins (anyone else feels like they are in a hatchery?), so scoring is definitely not a problem so long as they don't go on 8-0 binges followed by goal droughts (which they don't). Blackhawks were shut out once this season, both Ducks and Penguins more than once. These nights will happen to anyone. And it's not like Canucks played so well. Blues just couldn't hit the net to save their lives. Let's see what happens in Anaheim, the panic button is not going anywhere anyway, so I'll wait to hit it.

Interestingly (or not), Chicago's only shut-out came right before the Olympic break, and the Blues got shut out right after. Both were to bad teams (Hawks lost to Coyotes).
User avatar
ComradeT
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer
 
Posts: 410
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:08 am

Re: GDT #58: 2/26/14 > Blues @ Canucks > 9:30 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Postby Oaklandblue » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:57 pm

We played really damn well for not playing for two weeks. Our first game back as a -cohesive- unit and not as a unit split apart and playing for various Olympic teams. It was a good, solid effort. I don't think I would have done the lines like Hitchcock did, but they were interesting and it was good to see how a player reacts to being given a role not normal to them. This alone should have got us shelled, but when it came down to it, we stayed in the fight.

Halak was absolutely amazing. He didn't get rattled and the times he flubbed something, he quickly snapped out of it and played through. The one goal he let in, no one would have stopped. I honestly think he had a chip on his shoulder coming into tonight due to his performance in the Olympics. Whatever it is, I hope that chip stays right where it is.

The Canucks earned this win. I'm ok with that. NEXT GAME.
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

Image
Oaklandblue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper
 
Posts: 719
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:20 pm


Return to St. Louis Blues Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], ecbm, Google [Bot], stinkdified, STLADOGG, Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests

cron