Tarasenko Out "At least" Six Weeks

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Tarasenko Out "At least" Six Weeks

Post by Oaklandblue »

Info here:
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014 ... uis-blues/

Vladimir Tarasenko was enjoying a hot streak for the streaking St. Louis Blues, but his ascent is now placed on pause thanks to hand surgery. The team announced that he’ll undergo a procedure on his right hand and that he’ll be re-evaluated in six weeks.

Which means that the 22-year-old will miss at least six weeks, so Tarasenko updates might be something to watch once playoff time comes along.

That’s assuming that his rehab goes well, of course, as this could also be an issue that sidelines him for the playoffs. His regular season is already over barring a (hockey player-like) recovery.

Heating up since New Year’s

It’s a shame for a young player who was really coming into his own for the Blues. He hit the 21-goal mark for the first time in his career, totaling 43 points in 64 games with the sort of plus/minus (+20) that likely leaves Ken Hitchcock happy.

Tarasenko has been especially effective lately, as he had a five-game point streak going, including on Saturday (when he was injured against the Nashville Predators). Stretching back to March 2, he scored nine points in eight games and only failed to collect either a goal or an assist once in that span. He’s been especially effective since the calendar rolled over to 2014, really, as he has 22 points in his last 25 games.

The Blues score by committee They have four players with 21+ goals including Tarasenko, and T.J. Oshie is three tallies away from joining that group, but this loss still stings.

The team recalled forward Dmitrij Jaskin, who may get a chance to play as Oshie will skip Monday’s game to spend time with his newborn bay.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Tarasenko Out "At least" Six Weeks

Post by dmiles2186 »

This sucks. Gut punch, no doubt. But I'm trying to remain positive and here's why.

1) The Jaskin call up. No, he's not Senko, but he's not a bad option. I'd like to see him in more of an offensive role. Typically in his recent call ups, he's marooned on the 4th line. And I get that we've got a decent set of forwards, but it would be nice to see Hitch loosen the reins on him and let him use his skill to do what's got him here.

2) The old 'it's like making a trade' cliche. Hockey players are notorious for fighting to get back in the lineup ASAP. If we're still playing when Senko gets healthy, it will be like (enter eye roll) 'making a trade without giving anyone up.' It will be a huge boost, no doubt.

3) It's not like we don't have a decent, solid group of forwards. Berglund is playing well right now. Steen, Osh, Backes are the stalwarts. Schwartz is right there. Morrow and Roy can chip in from time to time.

If lose anyone else from that group? Well, it will be tough to swallow. But I think this will give guys like Paajarvi and Jaskin a little bit more room to work.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

I think we have enough depth to get us through until he's ready to come back. My opinion on it all, from what I've seen, is that Tarasenko is going to work really hard to get healthy and back on the ice, it's in his blood. It's just a matter of time. We're still #1 and rocking, these guys aren't going to let one man down stop the momentum.
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

ugh, this really sucks. BUT, we are deep enough to sustain an injury. Hopefully Jaskin busts out.

How did this happen btw? I didn't even realize an injury was on the horizon. And, this sounds like the kind of thing that would have been noticed during a game. Did he break it? He didn't punch something and get a boxer's fracture, did he?
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

cardsfan04 wrote:How did this happen btw? I didn't even realize an injury was on the horizon. And, this sounds like the kind of thing that would have been noticed during a game. Did he break it? He didn't punch something and get a boxer's fracture, did he?
No one seems to know for sure: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/p ... a4f5f.html

The Blues have lost forward Vladimir Tarasenko for at least six weeks with a right-hand injury, the team confirmed late Sunday afternoon. Tarasenko will undergo surgery Wednesday and be re-evaluated after the six-week period.
He will be out for the rest of the remainder of the regular season and it appears the team would have to go deep into the playoffs for Tarasenko to have a chance to return.

He sustained the injury late in Saturday’s 4-1 victory at Nashville. There was no indication the forward had hurt his hand seriously during the game. He scored a goal in the second period and did not miss a shift, playing over 15 minutes.

His injury comes with playoffs on the horizon and just 15 games remaining in the regular season. The 46-14-7 Blues lead the entire NHL with 99 points as they prepare to face the Winnipeg Jets tonight at Scottrade Center.

Tarasenko, 22, was putting the finishing touches on a terrific second season with the Blues. After being picked to play for host Russia in the Winter Olympics hockey competition, Tarasenko has points in seven of his last eight games, with three goals and five assists.

His goal in Nashville was his 21st of the season, and his 43rd point. During that same stretch, the Blues have collected points in eight consecutive games, winning seven of the eight.

The lefthanded-shooting Tarasenko also had his rookie season in 2012-13 impacted by an injury. After being hurt in a game at Colorado, Tarasenko missed 10 games with concussion symptoms. He scored just two goals in 21 games after returning.

Late on Sunday, the Blues recalled 20-year old forward forward Dmitrij Jaskin from the Chicago Wolves of the American Hockey League. The 6-foot-3, 204-pound Jaskin has 15 goals, 14 assists and is a plus-7 in 42 games for the Wolves. Jaskin has played in nine games this season for the parent team. He has one goal, one assist and is even in the plus-minus category.

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

:(
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Well that's craptastic. Here's to a speedy recovery.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

SteveO
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by SteveO »

Hope he's back by playoffs.

If not, I hope Jaskin does a decent job of filling those shoes.

Maybe Magnus will get some more ice time too?

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

I think paarjvjai or whatever is worthless, so not expecting much there.

Jaskin on the top six is better than sticking him on the 4th line, but hitch has little history of trusting young guys. Regardless, it's a chance for him to get some time in the bigs.

This hurts, but it's not a killer.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Hopefully were still playing when he gets back.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:I think paarjvjai or whatever is worthless, so not expecting much there.

Jaskin on the top six is better than sticking him on the 4th line, but hitch has little history of trusting young guys. Regardless, it's a chance for him to get some time in the bigs.

This hurts, but it's not a killer.
Really? I've actually thought he's played fairly well of late.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

Paaj just needs some seasoning. He plays hard, he is fairly hockey smart and he's still learning the system. There are far worse players we can call up from Chicago and I think Paaj is going to turn the corner really, really soon. Playing from the Oilers might have hurt his development and he's trying to catch up. I see too many pluses in him to discount the guy just yet.

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

Yeah, I don't understand where the Paajarvi sentiment comes from. Dude plays hard, is visibly playing his heart out, and has chipped in a couple goals in his limited 4th line minutes. I think he's got a lot of upside, and this is great opportunity for him to show it.

Def a bummer, and definitely a huge let down for us Rooskie Blues fans, but I think we can win without him.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

You know how those recovery timeframes go- they say six weeks, I'm sure he will be pushing hard to come back in five. Hope so...

APOD
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by APOD »

[youtube][/youtube]

1:24 into the video he goes into the wall awkwardly behind the net, takes a while to get up, could be where it happened late in the third.

Also this fred murtz guy on YouTube is great if you missed the game or want to look at highlights.
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor or Brian Elliott
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Jori Lehtera
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Chris Stewart / Steve Ott and the trade that made it happen!
2012-errr.......Just 2013 LGB Sponsor of Andy McDonald

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Not to make the thread about Paajarvi, but add me to the list who thinks he plays his balls off. Plus, he's got a hard shot. He's just been marooned on the 4th line most of the time, but the flashes of potential are there. I'm not saying he's as good as Senko, but given more room to work in Hitch's system, I think we'll see him grow.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

dmiles2186 wrote:Not to make the thread about Paajarvi, but add me to the list who thinks he plays his balls off. Plus, he's got a hard shot. He's just been marooned on the 4th line most of the time, but the flashes of potential are there. I'm not saying he's as good as Senko, but given more room to work in Hitch's system, I think we'll see him grow.
The kid has some serious speed and a sick shot. A good combination in hockey.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

Jackman5
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Jackman5 »

Morrow and Roy are going to have to step up. Paajarvi is day-to-day with an upper body injury.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

gaijin wrote:You know how those recovery timeframes go- they say six weeks, I'm sure he will be pushing hard to come back in five. Hope so...
My biggest concern is when he'll be in game shape. It can't be easy to miss 6 weeks and come back in the 2nd/3rd round of the playoffs.

BTW, have they said what the injury is yet? All I've heard is hand surgery. I'm guessing it's a bad break that needs to be re-set?

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

Other guys need to step it up a notch. It's that simple. Injuries happen. It sucks but there's enough character and skill on this team to fill the void.

Jaskin and Pajaarvi, it's time to play hockey like men. Bergs needs to keep his new found game going, Roy needs to kick it up a notch and everyone else can step it up some if they want to as well. Who knows, maybe this is a good thing in a way. A little adversity can shake you up and this can make the team even better in the end.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko